Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I'm having a weird issue where none of the dwarves will cut wood. Despite abundant trees, available axes, toggled 'Wood Cutter' labors, and no pathfinding issues, they just won't do it. They'd rather stand around and do nothing. It's still super early in my fortress's life (second migrant wave) so there isn't a ton going on.

I've designated, un-designated, and re-designated multiple times. I've increased priority. They just don't comply. They'll perform other tasks, however.

I'm using Masterwork and DFHack, but don't have much activated. I turned off Therapist.

Any ideas? I put a ton of hours into this game awhile ago so I'm not "new", really. Might be something im missing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What happens when you backup that save and start a new fortress? Might be something broke during fortress generation and messed up the pathfinding.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Check that generic dwarve option page. The one where you can tell dwarves to autoplant/collect webs/loom. I think there are some settings about dwarves collecting wood or going outside in there.

Sorry that is super unclear. I havent played in awhile.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Did you toggle any burrows by accident?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Cardiovorax posted:

What happens when you backup that save and start a new fortress? Might be something broke during fortress generation and messed up the pathfinding.

I'll give it a shot. I can always restart since it's early. I'm mainly just figuring out the controls and UI again.

Telsa Cola posted:

Check that generic dwarve option page. The one where you can tell dwarves to autoplant/collect webs/loom. I think there are some settings about dwarves collecting wood or going outside in there.

Sorry that is super unclear. I havent played in awhile.

Talking about the [o] Standing orders page? I think everything relevant is enabled but I'll check.

chadbear posted:

Did you toggle any burrows by accident?

Not sure but I'll check! Thanks everyone

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Are the axes made of wood? Those don't work for trees anymore iirc.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

TheHoosier posted:

I'll give it a shot. I can always restart since it's early. I'm mainly just figuring out the controls and UI again.

Talking about the [o] Standing orders page? I think everything relevant is enabled but I'll check.

Not sure but I'll check! Thanks everyone

I think it's the standing orders page, yeah. I believe I have had similar issues and it was because something there was toggled.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Maugrim posted:

Are the axes made of wood? Those don't work for trees anymore iirc.

Yeah that’d be my guess - do you have any accessible axes that aren’t wood?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Prop Wash posted:

Yeah that’d be my guess - do you have any accessible axes that aren’t wood?

.... Doh

Time to dig deeper! Or hope the traders have some

That seems really obviously now in hindsight

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Game mechanics news!!

:frogc00l: posted:

Having arrived at rooms, we fairly quickly decided that, contrary to an earlier response in one of the Future of the Fortress questions, furniture-based rooms (like the bedroom flooding out from a single bed, whether it's an entire dormitory filled with beds or not) were not going to be survive. They would have been weird to tutorialize, since the idea that one piece of furniture rules over and determines the function of a room that could have all sorts of furniture in it is kind of strange. So now it's all done zone-style. You place a bedroom zone in the new system, for instance, by just laying out a rectangle (or whatever shape) and selecting that type. Have a bed placed there? Good. Don't have a bed? The floor is being suggested, and if you add a bed later, that'll work too. The logic for tombs, dining halls, archery ranges, some meeting halls, etc. is being tweaked a bit in line with this.

This has been a somewhat involved ongoing rewrite, but presumably no more than trying to explaining the old system. So this will be fine. We also have various exciting art movement on the underground vegetation and elf front, among other things, so we should have some more cool images soon as well.

The steampage news have had exciting screenshots about procedurally drawn statues too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That is a real improvement. The furniture-based zoning was always weird and going with something a bit more conventional will do the game good.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Time to place a 10x10 grid of one-tile Designated Rest Zones in a communal great hall directly adjacent to the tavern. Every dwarf gets a masterful engraving to sleep on, and may doze off to the soothing sounds of some guy beatboxing an elven violin solo while a goblin visitor alternates between puking and asking completely innocent questions about artifact locations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

That's gonna gently caress up all the macros though.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Telsa Cola posted:

That's gonna gently caress up all the macros though.

I think just do what it does for buildings and have sub macros. Press h for home zones such as dormitorys bedrooms, offices etc.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
This is definitely a better approach, but it's going to make it more tedious to create a bunch of bedrooms at once. Unless they add a fill option for activity zones, which would be dope.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Look at it this way: now, instead of screwing around with elaborate drowning/magma setups, you can simply tell your dickbag nobles that they sleep down in the part of the caverns with all the giant spiderwebs. Or out on the ice just before the spring thaw! No need for beds or other furniture, no endangering useful workers!

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Angry Diplomat posted:

Look at it this way: now, instead of screwing around with elaborate drowning/magma setups, you can simply tell your dickbag nobles that they sleep down in the part of the caverns with all the giant spiderwebs. Or out on the ice just before the spring thaw! No need for beds or other furniture, no endangering useful workers!

I like to assign them a lever which collapses the ceiling above.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

promising carl posted:

I like to assign them a lever which collapses the ceiling above.
Lever at the end of a long retractable bridge over a deep pit here. When I last played it still took a few game ticks for the bridge to respond to lever input, so the noble is already crossing it again when it retracts and drops them down the hole. Bonus is it is reusable!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

You could do that with burrows though and just exile people.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
This means you can upgrade previously room-defining furniture without pissing off the owner about "losing" all their stuff. Works for me.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

A more unified concept of "this is a room/structure/area" should definitely have knock on effects down the line for the game being able to generate/recognize more and complex types of things.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

I'm personally hoping that this will open the door for doing up the workshops in a similar manner.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

scamtank posted:

I'm personally hoping that this will open the door for doing up the workshops in a similar manner.

It would be kind of a pain in the rear end to have to manually zone build every mason and carpenter shop, unless you could have multiple dwarves work in the same shop.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I think it would be cool if there was like a craft table where the more you put the more dwarves can craft, then a bunch of tool furmiture that lets you craft specific items. Want chairs? need a lathe somewhere. Want barrels? Need Some sort of bander.

It doesnt need to be a lot just maybe 3 extra furniture for the whole catalog of items to create, that way the minimum craftdwarf room is about the size of the current workshop.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

It would be kind of a pain in the rear end to have to manually zone build every mason and carpenter shop, unless you could have multiple dwarves work in the same shop.

yeah, the way i'm thinking is that you could dynamically scale the amount of workspace and tools in a single "shop", instead of just clone stamping the same ol' 3x3 plop-plops everywhere

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I admit the thought of "man I wish building workshops was easier" has never crossed my mind.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Eric the Mauve posted:

I admit the thought of "man I wish building workshops was easier" has never crossed my mind.

In a sense, the people posting in this thread are almost definitionally *not* the audience for the Steam version. We're all people who've happily played the ASCII version, so we're not the people they're making the steam version for.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Right but even within the confines of what we have, workshops are not in like the top 50 interface/userfriendliness/how--does-this-work things that have annoyed me over the years. The top five are 1. Military, 2. Military, 3. Military, 4. Military, and 5. Military. Using some workshops properly can be a pain in the rear end, but building the things is just about the most straightforward thing you can do in DF.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
As they are now, workshops are easy, but they're also kinda game-y. Throw boulder on the floor and then slap a mushroom against it until you have booze, it's that easy! I'd love to see more detail there, both so we can build grand and elaborate workshops, just like we do now with dining halls or temples, and to create interesting logistic problems from layout choices and how to handle a shortage of some important tool.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Someone needs to lend their name to an internet law to the effect of "goons will always want every game to add granularity until it becomes Factorio"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Someone needs to lend their name to an internet law to the effect of "goons will always want every game to add granularity until it becomes Factorio"

it's DF, granularity is going to happen it's just a matter of toady having enough time and interest to implement it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Dude this is the dwarf fortress thread, this game tracks every creature's individual toes

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
yeah at the nuts-and-bolts level Factorio is dramatically less complex in simulating the world than DF

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The main thing is that building a brewery, building a dining room and building a tavern should probably all work the same way. It's not that any of the construction types do it badly (although the flood-fill room designation isn't great) but that they all do it differently that needs fixing.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

ninjewtsu posted:

Dude this is the dwarf fortress thread, this game tracks every creature's individual toes

yeah so the way workshops currently work is dumb bullshit. it's just a square. making them way more complex would be great.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

When left to its own devices the game likes to create vast forge rooms with statues and like 10-12 individual forge stations. It would be neat if you could designate that whole room as a forge area, where every forge is interchangeable and shares common settings for allowed workers, allowed jobs, etc. You can kind of already set that functionality up with work orders, but it requires a bit more work.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hmmm i will glady take "dumb square" over creating vast forge rooms or complex daisy chain factory setups.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dungeon Keeper had a good and working concept for that kind of thing. Just designate an area, which will then spawn a number of forges or library shelves, which can then be used by a number of minions proportional to the size of the workspace at the same time. Current workshops functionally already work the same way, except instead of being of arbitrary size, they only come in three-by-three squares and fit one worker at a time. All the implied tools and workbenches or whatever are just assumed to be constructed out of whatever material you feed into the construction. Seems like the Dungeon Keeper approach would simplify the whole thing, really - instead of making four separate stonemasons or whatever, you just make a single six-by-six workshop that can employ the same number of dwarves, but with less fiddly manual positioning and such.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I really don't understand why people just don't make a 1:1 update of dungeon keeper and not add a bunch of dumb poo poo to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Telsa Cola posted:

I really don't understand why people just don't make a 1:1 update of dungeon keeper and not add a bunch of dumb poo poo to it.

War for the Overworld is pretty much a 1:1 update of Dungeon Keeper 2, if that's your bag.

I don't know if anyone's made that close a recreation of the first game, unfortunately.