Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Average Bear posted:

I just had a vampire kill one of my dwarves. I started investigating visitors, and the guy who confessed was carrying a book he wrote. In it, it describes his real name and vampire status in regards to his marriage.

The dwarf version of mycrimes.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Average Bear posted:

I just had a vampire kill one of my dwarves. I started investigating visitors, and the guy who confessed was carrying a book he wrote. In it, it describes his real name and vampire status in regards to his marriage.

dracula is famously a wife guy

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

"If I did it"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Alli want from the steam version is payable kobolds or mixed dwarf / kobolds forts

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
you could do that right now with mods and there hasn't even been a whisper of indication that the Steam version is going in that direction. what are you waiting for?

in particular i think all you have to do to get Kobolds eligible as visitors is remove [ITEM_THIEF] from their raws entry so they're not permanently hostile to your civ, and add [CAN_SPEAK] so they can interact with dwarves

retrofitting other species for primary fortress mode play is a bit more complicated since a lot of civs lack structures, recipes, and social roles that fortress mode sort of needs to function properly, but it's also a very popular thing for existing modders to do; i'd be shocked if there isn't a ready-made "playable kobolds" out there already

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It was a joke, but I may actually look into that

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

While I like both, one of the differences between DF and Rimworld is that Rimworld has direct control, whereas DF offers no direct control of Dorfs.
Dorfs do their own thing, sometimes irrespective anything else to the detriment of the entire fort.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The main reason I can't get into Rimworld is the lack of z-layers. That's a really major obstacle since everything I do in DF tends to be more vertical than horizontal and moving on to Rimworld feels like having your toolkit broken in half and trampled upon.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

It was a joke, but I may actually look into that

kobolds are one of masterwork's fortress species, they focus on building a village using wood and animal products

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

The main reason I can't get into Rimworld is the lack of z-layers. That's a really major obstacle since everything I do in DF tends to be more vertical than horizontal and moving on to Rimworld feels like having your toolkit broken in half and trampled upon.
Yeah, that's a way more obvious difference that took me a while to get used to too - and I do think DF is better for having it.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
If I can't erect a tower of cast obsidian with a floor representing every month and an engraving representing every day of the year what is even the point?

Rimworld did help me see Dwarf Fortress from the outside though; I like reading about it much more than I like playing it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
RimWorld is terrible, one of the ugliest possible videogame art styles combined with gameplay that's less interesting than old 2D Dwarf Fortress was.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I don't agree :shrug:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Dwarf Fortress rules in a thousand ways, but Rimworld’s combat is frankly better. Cover, range, melee, weather, armor, AoE, fire, tech level, all are relevant factors the player can interact with, but none of them are the end-all factor. Dwarf Fortress just has a lot less there. Control over your troops is hilariously confusing and bad, (REALLY looking forward to the UI updates for this one) there’s no way to use fire or AoE, there’s very few kinds of weapons, mostly completely interchangeable, cover is meaningless since troops don’t know how to use it, and frequently the entire thing is a foregone conclusion because armor hardness is such an overwhelming determinant that almost nothing else matters.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
it's almost as if rimworld is a game where controlling a small group of people against increasingly more difficult invaders until you can escape off world while dwarf fortress is a game of making a civilization in a world occasionally onset by forces of darkness spawned from hell

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes, the ostensible meta may be different, doesn't mean one game can't be better than the other

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, the ostensible meta may be different, doesn't mean one game can't be better than the other

They're different? You can enjoy one more than the other but they aren't trying to do the same thing even if they're in the same genre.

I love Rimworld but it's really a small colony sim and it excels at that. Obviously it's UI is a lot cleaner and more intuitive but Dwarf Fortress level of simulation/world interaction is far beyond Rimworld.

That said I have way more hours in Rimworld than Dwarf Fortress just because it's far easier to pick up and play. I plan to put a lot more time in DF with the Steam release.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

neither Rimworld nor Dwarf Fortress combat is engaging enough to be any fun but Dwarf Fortress makes it easier to completely ignore or completely overpower combat

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i only did the combat for the free goblin socks

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Are both games still easily trivialized by flooding the map with traps?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Khanstant posted:

i only did the combat for the free goblin socks

Right; to the extent that Dwarf Fortress functions as a game vs. as an ant farm*, it's mostly a game about resource management and supply chains. Goblin invasions, in this context, are a semi-unpredictable influx of raw materials, and dealing with that influx is the most interesting thing about them.

I like Rimworld too but it definitely chose to focus on time pressure and to make combat slightly more "core" to the experience than DF did, and I think it suffers for it. If you forced me to evaluate the two combat systems in a vacuum I'd agree with the people who say Rimworld's is better, but in the respective games they actually exist in, I just don't think the difference helps enough to matter.

* No judgment, ant farms are cool too.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

similarly if you wanted to make Dwarf Fortress more engaging as a game (that is, something with a goals, maybe even a win condition, and skills to master in pursuit of that goal) the answer definitely wouldn't be to make sieges have an easier time breaking down the walls and killing everyone. that'd suck.

it would be to do the Caesar III-style thing where you're trying to support ever-more-sophisticated tastes and requirements among your populace and designing ever-more-elaborate logistics networks to support them, and where resource inputs and outputs are complex enough that navigating this process is something you can be meaningfully good at

higher stakes don't make a shallow system any more interesting; difficulty and challenge are two different things

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 22, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Are both games still easily trivialized by flooding the map with traps?

rimworld tries harder to prevent this but it is still completely subvertable if you really want to even under the vanilla rules, you can colonize tiles that will never generate drop pod raids so enemies always approach from the edges of the map, never bring sappers, never send siegers with mortars etc; and you can place very specific constructions that will make the invaders path 100% reliably, so if you really want do you can herd them into a giant freezer/oven that they will just walk into and all die

e: worth noting that if you don't care to go through that rigmarole you also have control over which factions will send hostile raids against you (even in the vanilla game, it's just part of the embark UI) and you can disable specific incidents that you don't like (e.g. I disable the "farm animals wander in" because it's stupid and too generous)

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I like Rimworld too but it definitely chose to focus on time pressure and to make combat slightly more "core" to the experience than DF did, and I think it suffers for it.

that is completely subjective and that's also completely fine :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 22, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

to be clear i'm not saying "i dislike time pressure and RTS combat as goals"; i have hundreds of hours in dozens of games about one or both of those things. what i'm saying is i don't think Rimworld is up to the task of making that gameplay compelling with the components it currently uses. it takes a system that's only barely any deeper or exposed to control by the player than Dwarf Fortress's good-enough placeholder is, and then hangs half the game from it.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

you can have opinions about anything you want, yes

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
shut the gently caress up

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The first time I made a drowning chamber I put a reservoir above the entrance to my fort. I just had to throw a lever to close the exit and then another to open the drain.

The two chambers were exactly the same dimensions 1 Z level apart so everyone I tried to drown swam and climbed up into the now empty reservoir. :(

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Decrepus posted:

The first time I made a drowning chamber I put a reservoir above the entrance to my fort. I just had to throw a lever to close the exit and then another to open the drain.

The two chambers were exactly the same dimensions 1 Z level apart so everyone I tried to drown swam and climbed up into the now empty reservoir. :(

Ah, see, your problem was that you made the reservoir above the chamber and filled the chamber from that. What you should have done, was make the drowning chamber itself the reservoir, and drain it/keep it open when you want stuff to pass through. But an invasion comes along, you get them in there and seal it up and wait for it to fill.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

or just use grates or fortifications or whatever (although iirc sometimes water flow can blast a few enemies through fortifications, and certain enemies like trolls can deconstruct grates if they have access and time)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Can't deconstruct things on a different Z-level. The safe way to build a cavern access door is a trapdoor over a set of stairs that connect "outside".

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I like Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress. Sorry, one-game-likers, must be less fun over there for you

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Wolfechu posted:

I like Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress. Sorry, one-game-likers, must be less fun over there for you

:haibrow:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Wolfechu posted:

extremely same

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Decrepus posted:

You use a retractable bridge for dropping the water and simply close it again after the water has dropped. Doesn't matter if they can swim, there is no air for them and they aren't breaking that thing from below.

I always found drowning traps to be more trouble than they were worth because they led to inconvenient trees. A deep hole with a retractable bridge is a perfectly serviceable alternative.

Originally I swore by cage traps, but at least back then squads and animal herds did a follow the leader pathing code thing and would just swarm around the location the leader got caged instead of doing anything interesting like getting killed by my other traps. Also, emptying the cages was a chore. When confronted by this fundamental truth, I became a convert to the school of deep hole. Feel free to cover the bottom of the hole in weapon traps to give the feeling of dropping them into a blender.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

on that note did falling damage ever get made less stupid
I remember last time I tried it was still extremely stupid, 500 pound guys in plate armor falling 20 z levels and being just a bit stunned

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Hmm. If you trapped the bottom of a deep pitfall, could a skilled badguy dodge the trap when it triggers on the way down? Would that affect their eventual kersplat?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Pickled Tink posted:

I always found drowning traps to be more trouble than they were worth because they led to inconvenient trees.

Constructed floors covering the bottom of the drowning trap will prevent plant growth. Alternatively you could also designate the floor as a stockpile with nothing enabled. Iirc stockpiles also prevent trees from growing.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Magma at the bottom of the pit trap is definitely the way to go. Automatically destroy everything but the iron to be smelted down later.

If you bridge your pit with a trap-lined 1-wide bridge all the trap dodgers will just dodge off the bridge into the pit.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

Magma at the bottom of the pit trap is definitely the way to go. Automatically destroy everything but the iron to be smelted down later.
Ah, efficient harvesting of goblinite ore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Threetoe posted:

As far as game difficulty goes, we have studied you like a hungry tiger seeking to find the weaknesses in your strategy. We are taking Memorial Day weekend and instead of menus we are taking break from the UI to give you old players the challenge you deserve for the Steam release! More on that next week.

For now, let's talk about the toggleable settings. There will be difficulty settings that adjust the wealth triggers and frequency of invasions, thieves, and beast attacks. These will be customizable just as if you have been editing the text files, but you set them when you embark.

As a side note, I've been testing the minecart tracks, sending loads of goblin equipment down to the magma forge to be melted down. If you think that's a waste of time, you can now buy them off as they will demand an artifact as a bribe before they attack, or adjust the frequency of their attacks down from once every two seasons (there was even a bug that caused them to escalate too fast).

The elves are also getting reworked to make them more of a challenge. The number of trees felled that it takes to anger them has been greatly reduced, and their attacks are more deadly. These settings can also be changed if you choose, but watch out when you start in the savage lands as you are in for a surprise, along with the rest of the horrible stuff we have planned for this weekend!

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 28, 2022