Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

NoArmedMan posted:

Every time you list all the historical threads I'm reminded that I created a monster back in 2004...

I always get scared at those links, I don't have archives access so I'm spared the horror but I'd hate to see what I was like 10 years ago on the internet. One day I'll bother to buy archives access just to have a nose in those threads, but that day is not today.

It'd be nice to go see all of El Hefe's posts that I didn't read at the time thanks to having him on ignore though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I think we were much more at each others throats in those old threads- these days, most of us are at least somewhat united in despising RBR/Vettel.

A symptom of old age, we've all calmed down a bit and stopped being fueled by so much testosterone :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

Let's do this poo poo.

Whoever said the F1 ios app had a horrible ui wasn't kidding.

Same on Android, buggy as poo poo - glitchy in places, text warps on menus, it's loving mad. The only thing they've got right is the reduced price from the previous years, but still.. I baulk at paying more than 99p for any app :v:

Not sure I'll bother until they sort the bugs out. Half the races I won't get to watch live anyway, and I can't see a definitive feature list that answers my 'can I retrospectively view a race on the timing app' question.

Have past versions of the 'funky' app allowed for that? For reference, the last time I bothered to use a live timing app was when it was still totally free and didn't have the track layout gimmick lark in it.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Ok UK goons, are any of the major betting sites doing multipliers on the F1? Maximise that profit and all that, I don't get much of a kick out of a single bet on a single outcome, that's all.

Had a quick nose at betfair and sky bet and neither of those seem to be doing them. Or I'm too thick to work out their stupid godamn interfaces.

edit: multipliers / accumulators, whatever the hell you want to call them

edit edit: ffs, ok sky bet do multipliers... stupid ui

enri fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 14, 2014

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I only heard the new engines for the first time today, I didn't want to hear them on a lovely youtube video, but just on the TV it'd be likely I'd watch 99% of the races on... caught a repeat of the tail end of FP2 after work, it's different but I kinda like it. Vroom!

Right, I'm heading off to bed.. when I get up, quali will only be a short way away.

Team Hamilberg WDC 2014

:buddy:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

BLDR... I feel bad for the guy, but it's Red Bull and puts JB into 3rd so I'm kinda happy for the result :v:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Wooo big post catch up!

Hammer Floyd posted:

why does everybody hate Vettel? Is it just because he wins everything?

Red Bull gives you w(h)ing(e)s

poty posted:

Man, Claire Williams doing her "what a loving idiot" face would make for a great avatar

I know I've seen her before but she seems to be cropping up more on coverage this year, is Frank stepping down or something? I seem to remember hearing about her getting a promotion. Either way, I decided immediately that she looked like a woman you wouldn't want to piss off and/or get on the wrong side of. Which is funnily enough exactly the same look Frank pulls off.

monkeytennis posted:

I'm almost ready to think of him as 'Our Max' :britain:

I find it slightly easier to like him if you imagine he's actually a younger Johnny Herbert, they look vaguely similar off the top of my head... and who doesn't like Johnny Herbert?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Rosberg is the prettiest driver to ever win an Australian GP, y/n?

Pleeaaase, Jenson Button has won the Aussie GP three times, so no :colbert:

All in all, I've got to say I really enjoyed the 'new' rules shake up - nice to see some fresh young blood in the top / midfield teams actually doing something impressive again as well. Even if they have taken a beating from the ugly tree. Shame about the disqualification for BLDR but it boots Jenson up a spot, so can't complain there. The sound from the engines was nice, it's really nice being able to hear other stuff going on around the track, lock ups, crowds screaming, drivers over the radio being much clearer, etc.

Roll on Malaysia, drat... two weeks to wait and I'm away that weekend with the wife :( curses, that'll be a catch up jobby.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Kilmers Elbow posted:

WTF purple everywhere.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617185

:/

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Sashimi posted:

Never mind that the TV director actually had a brain and ignored Nico running away with everything, and instead tended to focus more on Bottas' charge through the field. Really refreshing to see so much overtaking without relying on DRS nonsense.

There were times I totally forgot about DRS, until a commentator mentioned it and *pop* there goes someone's rear wing opening up.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

front wing flexing posted:

It really is getting annoying. Oh, you've been watching F1 for two years and now you're an expert on the soul of F1? gently caress you! Other than the dicknoses the cars this year are really loving cool and impressive.

Even some of the ugly noises are beginning to grow on me, Ferrari for starters :ohdear:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I just had the 1998 Japanese GP on in the background whilst I was doing some bits tonight... most annoying thing? I hate to say it but, Murray Walker. Sacrilege I know, but I was having flashbacks to my late teens getting incensed at the coverage every other Sunday because he just blathered on and on :(

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Butt Wizard posted:

Seriously though, this was in 1994. That's literally twenty years ago, and English F1 fans have never shut up about it. Let it go.

England('s media) never forgets :argh:

Look at the world cup coming up, watch the media for references to Maradonna's hand of god :v: bonus points for spotting 'spirit of 66' because we can't STFU about that either.

Sashimi posted:

I've been to two F1 races, yet I've watched hundreds on TV across 17 years of following the sport. Being able to hear so many more things on the TV broadcast more than makes up for the worsened live experience in my mind since I rarely go to races, and fans who actually follow the sport will see the majority of races on TV anyways since nearly nobody can afford to travel to more than a couple of races a season, let alone one for many of us. Plus, I have a feeling this is something people will get used to anyways since the cars still sound very cool, just not ear-bleedingly loud.

For what it's worth, this is exactly how I feel without bothering to put it into my own words. People need to just accept the change has happened and get on with their lives.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

PoopSok posted:

Just out of curiosity for fun speculation, if Bottas hadn't had the gearbox penalty or the puncture, would have been able to catch Rosberg?

Totally forgot about his gearbox penalty. Bare in mind though, one of the people who gained the most from the safety car caused by Bottas was... Bottas. If you're going to have to dive into the pits to get something fixed, then there's no better time like the bunching up of a safety car period to soften the blow a bit.

Who wants to hear a joke? I put Massa down as my prediction for fastest lap in the GP predictor thingy :v:

Another random thought, if Red Bull insist on going down the route of appealing the disqualification verdict, then could the FIA bounce it back and say they've brought the sport into disrepute and slap them down with a massive fine or something? An Aussie on the podium in his debut race for a new team at the opening race of the season, alas his home race, gets disqualified = lots of pissed off Aussie fans.

Wishful thinking I know but it was just a random thought popping into my head earlier today :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

gently caress yes, if it means that tech can filter down to roads cars and save me 30% of my fuel bill then everybody wins. I'd rather that than the noise levels people keep prattling on about.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Stepping down into a German prison dungeon?

You're getting him confused with Max Mosley again

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Pretty sure betfair has some decent F1 related bets you can place for each race and they have some Aussie thing going on, I'm constantly seeing things about an 'aussie wallet' and you transfer funds into it something or other, I never bothered reading into it because I'm not Australian v:shobon:v

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Brainwrong posted:

Stupid BBC losing their MotoGP coverage

I vaguely saw something about ITV4 doing repeats of the race the day after the live race, might be worth looking into (doubly so for me as I never bother watching MotoGP live anyway)

Just need to avoid seeing the result beforehand :(

enri
Dec 16, 2003

enri posted:

I vaguely saw something about ITV4 doing repeats of the race the day after the live race, might be worth looking into (doubly so for me as I never bother watching MotoGP live anyway)

Just need to avoid seeing the result beforehand :(

To follow up on this, if you don't end up torrenting the whole race from somewhere, what ITV4 has is a highlights package. Highlights of Qatar's season opener is tomorrow at 8-9pm, or 9-10pm on the +1 channel v:shobon:v

enri
Dec 16, 2003

lovestick posted:

2004 Monaco for the greatest victory of the greatest driver to ever drive a drive.

gently caress yes, that race was amazing. I'd totally forgotten about that, I think it got promising the moment Schumacher crashed.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

Bit late but holy poo poo, what an amazing race. If you have any means of watching it, do!

E: yikes those are some loving ugly trophies though

I was all set to avoid the result before getting a chance to watch the highlights, came downstairs this morning, popped the kettle on.. turned the TV on and BLAM.. poo poo.. morning news, on the sports section. What poo poo timing. Doesn't seem to be on the ITV player app either, annoyingly. My wife cancelled the recording because it clashed with her torrid bollocks coronation street / eastenders combo whilst I was out having a run. Grounds for divorce right there.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Fag Boy Jim posted:

...grooved slicks...

Just watched the 2000 German grand prix.. forgot how much I hated those loving things. Ugly.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Svartvit posted:

I'll never forget the gull wings

This is one my of favourite liveries ever. Barring those loving wheel cover obscenities.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Sulman posted:

Don't forget who his boss is.

Yea, this. Drivers make for a useful PR tool, whether they agree with what they've been told to say or not.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Sulman posted:

We should enjoy the Vettel whining while we can, because conventional wisdom says that when(if) the Renault PU is sorted out, the RB10 is going to demolish everyone.

I'm honestly just waiting for a few more poo poo results for Vettel before I go chuck a tenner on him winning the WDC, that'll soften the blow a bit if he does manage to win it for the 5th time. Assuming the odds move far enough to make it worth taking a punt on.

That'd be a hell of a conflict of interests though.. on one hand, Vettel might win the WDC.. but on the other, he's in a position to win you a good chunk of cash. It would feel like dirty money :ohdear: but hey, dirty money is still money.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Not read through the posts yet, managed to navigate my way here without seeing the result as I haven't yet seen the race. I want to rant about the loving BBC and their lovely godamn iplayer bullshit. Live coverage of practice 1.. practice 2.. final practice.. qualifying and.......... the F1 forum. No loving sign of the race yet. Bunch of useless cunts. Been waiting all day to catch up with the race and now I'm finally sat down on my arse, I can't :argh:

Rant over.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

enri posted:

Not read through the posts yet, managed to navigate my way here without seeing the result as I haven't yet seen the race. I want to rant about the loving BBC and their lovely godamn iplayer bullshit. Live coverage of practice 1.. practice 2.. final practice.. qualifying and.......... the F1 forum. No loving sign of the race yet. Bunch of useless cunts. Been waiting all day to catch up with the race and now I'm finally sat down on my arse, I can't :argh:

Rant over.

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

It took them about fourteen hours to get the qualifying on the iPlayer too, it was really annoying. All because they had to cut out two bits and record ten seconds of voiceover to explain why. Still, I forgive them because the alternatives are so much worse...

Glad to say it appeared 10 minutes after my rant, then my wife went to bed early so I could just watch the recorded one on the telly :argh:

Then I went and fell asleep... so I presume I missed some shenanigans with the fual rate thingy, I was awake for the bit where the BBC guy in the pits said the full flow sensor had failed completely on DR's car but beyond that I don't remember much else.

Bah.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

darth cookie posted:

The only bit you should regret missing is Sherlock doing the podium interview.

Surely you mean Dr Who? :v:

I caught that bit, I managed to wake up on the final lap :) Oh well, only one week to go until snore-rhain

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Just a few more things I need to get off my chest... I know the Sky coverage is considered to be universally poo poo, but watching the BBC coverage today with whatsisface and old box face commentating was really painful to listen to. I think I prefer Brundle and Croft.. there, I said it. DC with his RB bias just pisses me off.

Eddie Jordan does my tits in (yes yes we get it he's a crazy mad loud irishman), never been a fan of Suzi Perry, DC see above and the other commentator guy is completely forgettable.

The BBC has Lee McKenzie though, that's the only upside of the beeb coverage.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

:siren: MARTIN WHITMARSH SPOTTED :siren:

Fears that Ron Dennis had locked him in a cleaners cupboard have been proven to be unfounded.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I feel all tingly and warm seeing this, I mentioned it a while back but I ran the Silverstone half marathon at the start of March, I was mostly too busy concentrating on my run to really have a good look around but one of the highlights was 'squeeeeeee! I'm running down the pit lane!'

The only decent photo I had taken of me was on the other side of that fence around mile 10 heading counter-clockwise.

Epic. I love Silverstone :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

angor posted:

Oh they totally are, just not near the track.

This is going to be my first live race. I'm so excited! Got the three day ticket (turn 1), so I'm going to try and catch qualifying on Saturday obviously the race on Sunday. I'll try and take some pictures and get them up here.

Just try to avoid taking pictures away from the track, lest you get beaten up and have your camera confiscated :v:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Funkysauce posted:

I don't think there was a vocal minority. It seemed like most fans want the noise back as well.

gently caress no, every fan comment I've seen (outside of this thread at the very least) have liked the new sound. Yes it's different, yes it's change but you know what, it's bloody progress... Ron Dennis said it best on Brundle's grid walk.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Isn't the future of autos self-driving cars? So I want to see that in F1 (or a support race). I'm not talking about remote controlled, but fully AI controlled. And with that, they don't have to worry about driver safety!

Been tried, see Massa / Smedley for reference

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Linedance posted:

I can't believe you guys are calling Daddy Pig a creepy racist rapist!

high five fellow 'Ross Brawn IS Daddy Pig' believer. I just hear daddy pig's voice any time I hear Ross Brawn talking.

Oh my, the rear wing's fallen off! What a silly engineering team we have! Oink!

enri
Dec 16, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

There are two absolute must read autobiographies for F1 and thats Jackie Stewarts and Murray Walkers.

I know I mention this every time Murray's autobiography is mentioned, but it was so good I read it in one sitting. Started at 6pm and put it down at 2am. Just couldn't put it down.

Epic read :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Chalk up another 'I quite liked Stefano' from me, he always seemed to have a smile and time to chat to the broadcasters.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Butt Wizard posted:

Red Bull lost their appeal, loving cheaters.

Oh good :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Ive been off work lately due to illness (its ok goons, ill be fine) and me and my daughter have discovered a channel on Sky called Motors Uk. 24 hour racing of all formats, its great. Daughter is 2 and loves to sit and shout with me at the tv. She's more of a fan than my two boys who hate racing. She has just grabbed the concept of first to cross the line, and loves to see 'team mates' fix the cars 'pit stops'.
Also shouts 'JEN-SOOON' at appropriate times.

Motors TV is my go to channel when there's nothing of interest on the F1 channel (most of the time) and I have the TV to myself, rather than having to fend off the kids / wife wanting to watch something different.

My son, during Bahrain goes "who's that?" when Lewis Hamilton was on screen, so I told him and he laughed and goes "no it's not, it's Louie Bambleton" - kids :v:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

smelly cabin filter posted:

The sky F1 channel seems like a huge loving waste most of the time, I swear every time I look at the guide all I see is 'SKY F1 YOUR HOME OF FORMULA1' repeated endlessly. Surely they could use it for something more interesting than the occasional old race and incredibly lovely canned interview.

Also their catchup service is dogshit, only offering highlights of the latest race so I usualy have to go and download the full thing instead of just using the actual paid for service. :thumbsup:

It mostly is a waste of time, pretty much the only time I watch it is:

a.) when the BBC aren't showing the full coverage and only highlights
b.) when they occasionally show an old race (at the upcoming circuit)

I pay for it purely for 'a', 'b' is a happy perk but that's it. I still have it on the HD pack (when they offered it with the HD pack originally) but if it ever disappears, I won't be paying for sky sports at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Wirth1000 posted:

Well, of course he of all people would say this...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113501

I like this bit:

"..after putting the Sakhir incident down to a simple misunderstanding.."

the simple misunderstanding being "Pastor, this is formula 1, not stock car racing" "oh.. oh sh.. sorry, my bad"

Looking forward to seeing more criminally stupid moves from him as the season progresses.

• Locked thread