Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
If you only have 2.8k MMR don't feel bad. You're probably just a working professional and don't have time for kids games. You heard it here first, friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
One true tiny build: http://dotabuff.com/players/67760037/matches?hero=tiny&lobby_type=&game_mode=&match_type=real

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
200 MMR is the fluctuation range. This one guy I know plays a shitload and he is +200/-200 constantly.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Luigi Thirty posted:

What the gently caress I don't know how but we got totally dumpstered this game and I really don't know how it happened. I mean I was killing things and everything like I'm supposed to. I'm pretty sure that I lost this game for us (as usual) by trying to actually gank as Viper while the enemy Storm stayed mid and farmed an Orchid in like 14 minutes and they steamrolled us. I can't even play Viper, the easiest mid in the game, right what the gently caress.

You lost to a sandking with a radiance.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

thehacker0 posted:

I assume you saw this? I dont think the spreads are that high unless you are very high mmr and wait in queue for a long time. I have certainly not seen anything that bad around 4k mmr. What do you think of that feature? Just kinda entertaining to see i guess

http://i.imgur.com/ZAbeZvu.jpg

Ahahaha what the gently caress? Is this how it usually is when a 6k+ player solo queues? You can't even get a game that has all 4.5k+? drat that is bad.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Everyone needs to watch Free to Play. That is all.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

TheQat posted:

this has to be a joke

get a goddamn bottle instead of spending 1000 gold to ruin your boots slot

Oddly enough, people are so bad at this game then Arcanes bounty actually sees a nice bump in winrate. Same applies to Jugg/Sven/Chaos Knight etc. In the average pub, the dipshits that play these heros constantly run oom and never go back to heal. Arcanes help alleviate that problem.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Android Blues posted:

Bloodstone is underrated in general.

No, the problem at most levels is that it's overrated. Storms rush it like half the time (incredibly bad and probably contributes to his abysmal winrate) and it's more common than boots on DP.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

KyloWinter posted:

The average game at what MMR though? I see him perform very well in most of my games.

Below 3.2k MMR (like 80% of all games are played here), he has a 43% winrate. You don't really get much worse than that. At 4.1k MMR (top 2%), he has a 48% winrate, which is decidedly mediocre.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Android Blues posted:

Often good heroes have low winrates! See: Wisp, Tinker, and Lone Druid. Just because someone is ranked 4.1k MMR and picks a difficult hero doesn't necessarily mean they know how to play them effectively, or when it's appropriate to pick them.

I didn't say every 4.1k player will be able to play them well. I said on average, they will perform significantly better than lower MMR players. People at the average MMR simply don't have the mechanics to play Ember at all and thus, he's complete dumpster tier for most levels of play. The numbers don't lie.

Elman posted:

Do we have updated MMR data now or are you just estimating?

I'm going off phantasmal's numbers. The old system was estimated at 3.5% in Very High, and Valve's site says 4.1k MMR is the 99th percentile. Not exact, but close enough.

Dr. Carwash fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 20, 2014

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Bhodi posted:

God drat I thought it was just me, but I've gone like 1 and 10 and dropped like 600 MMR in the past few days. WTF? It's nothing but crazy stacks on the other team.

This makes absolutely no sense unless your MMR is 7000.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
I'd say Dota is hard, but in a completely different way than an RTS. In Starcraft, you can be the stupidest chimp in the world, but if you have the muscle memory to click buttons fast, you can easily be Diamond/Masters by simply "making more dudes than the other guy".

In Dota, mechanics are basically a non-existent requirement to move up unless you exclusively play solo mid as Storm/Qop (heros that really need to win their lanes). It's all about decision-making.
Also, people develop really loving weird mentalities in this game. Supports think it's ok to feed because they're supports, hard carries are obsessed with fighting when they shouldn't be, etc etc. People are also incredibly short sighted and don't really see the point of TPs until you get to 4k+ (and even then it's not great).

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

kalstrams posted:

Not to start or prolong "What is more difficult?", but when was the last time you have got into high masters and what is your race?

I haven't played SC2 in forever, but when I quit, it was pretty well agreed on that you could be diamond/low masters just by making dudes. No one plays SC2 now so I suppose it's a little harder, but the point still stands.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Who's ready for the lowest selling item in dota.

Wow, an announcer pack made by a guy that's not even remotely funny or clever. Who gave the go-ahead for this abortion?

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
For Terrorblade go Drum/Manta/Skadi and then from there you can get whatever and still probably win. Butterfly/Satanic/BKB and you're completely unkillable. Swap out Satanic/BKB for DPS items if you don't need them.

You could get a Radiance too, but it's pretty dumb imo because you're effectively neutering your early game potential by doing it.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

King of Spit posted:

Why the gently caress do you lose mmr for someone disconnecting at the hero picks? That's seriously ridiculous. 3 times this week I've lost mmr for this poo poo. It even says no stats recorded etc...yet stats are recorded. What the gently caress

Was the d/c guy partied with you?

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

peak debt posted:

I like it on Dark Seer since it gives you something to do while waiting for the hour long cooldowns on your main skills. And it's not like you can spend your gold on anything more useful than stats after you got your Necro3.

Dark Seer Skadi lol. Are you kidding me?

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Skadi is core on Terrorblade imo. You need the HP really loving bad and the slow lets you close the gap between you and your targets so you can use your melee range Q and Ult.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
You build a Skadi on Slark because he needs the HP. Badly. If slark lives with any amount of HP, he regens to full instantly, so making sure you don't get nuked down is a priority. The longer you live in a protracted fight, the more stats you steal, the more damage you ultimately do. It's pretty simple. Also, it lets you stick to people while you're ulted, which is nice.

That being said, rushing it is terrible. Running around with an ultimate orb for 20 minutes is not a game-winning move.

Eejit posted:

It's useful but TB can't afford it most of the time. There are just like a bazillion items he'd rather have and few of them are cheap.

No, Skadi is way better than whatever other items you are talking about. In addition to everything I already said, the HP Skadi gives you lets you get your Sunders off before getting nuked down. Not to mention it makes your illusions way better.

Dr. Carwash fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 24, 2014

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Nevvy Z posted:

The best is when you are so big you just kill him anyway.

A thing that never happens.

:getin:

I get a Skadi every game too.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

kalstrams posted:

What is counter to Ember Spirit in pub?

Ember Spirit is trash in pubs FYI unless you're literally Arteezy. I'm only slightly exaggerating. He has like a 43% winrate in the average game of dota. Turns out, going brown boots-->battlefury while feeding with your 1 base armor doesn't win games. He's always annoying, but he's never actually a problem. Certainly nothing compared to heros like lycan.

If you really want to destroy an Ember, just pick Clinkz (if you can play him) and be done with it.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Internet Kraken posted:

I'll never understand why even with a ridiculous winrate, a dead simple hero like Wraith King still doesn't get picked half as often as complex and difficult heroes like Ember.

1. Ember is fun to play.
2. Wraith King isn't fun to play.

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV Somehow I doubt people that instalock flavor of the month heroes care about how fun they are to play.

People pick strong heros, but there's a limit for any sane individual. You'll also notice that no one is clamoring to lock in Tree or Warlock. They are loving boring to play. It's that simple.

Dr. Carwash fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 26, 2014

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

kalstrams posted:

We lost because no one went with me two kill two barracks without a tower - CK alone was not able, without Rapiers, to kill our whole team alone, at that point, and it would take everyone else on their team to hold off megacreeps on two lanes. BKBs would save us against literally two abilites, in my opinions, and would not help with me playing Doom for the first time, terrible Luna and a Lich playing his 30th or so game, who is one of my friends I played that game with and who only today has learned about existence of BKB, about it's effects and about the fact that Luna and Mirana are different heroes.

You lost because your entire team (especially you) were loving terrible feeding morons. 89 last hits on Doom in an hour??? Were you jacking off in the fountain for 60 minutes or something? Given chaos knights score, I can only assume you're completely new to the game, but still. You can't blame the team when you're all equally horrible.

Dr. Carwash fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 28, 2014

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

kalstrams posted:

This is why I have blamed myself first.

kalstrams posted:

My team lost only because I literally seemed to be the only one to bother doing something about their buildings.

That's the first thing you said. Am I missing something here? Maybe instead of "doing something about the buildings" you could have farmed and had more than 2 items on Doom in an hour.

Dr. Carwash fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 28, 2014

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Philosopher King posted:

Can anyone really say they've advanced 1500 to 2000 mmr since ranked started?

Sup. Not since Ranked I guess, but I went from normal bracket games to what would now be considered the medium--high end of Very High. That's almost definitely over a 2000 point shift. People complain about their poo poo team all the time in this thread, but it's mostly just people being bad at dota and not being able to recognize their own badness. I'm sure there are tons of games that you could have won if you were just slightly less terrible.

Dr. Carwash fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 29, 2014

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

YouTuber posted:

http://dotabuff.com/matches/276937637

Noted bad player Dendi seems to disagree with your Bloodstone mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zJwVZoDbZs

Are you joking?

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

YouTuber posted:

Some times it's great to have 3 bloodstones. Build and max them successively and you have unlimited mana essentially.

...He built 3 bloodstones because the game was a loving joke and it didn't matter at all, not because it's "good". He was playing in normal bracket that game, which means the search range expansion was enormous and/or he was playing with a friend that had 1k MMR. He could have built 6 soul boosters and achieved the same results.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

YouTuber posted:

I never once said it was good or that the game was a joke or not. I just merely clarified that yes you can get charges on a second bloodstone. Stop loving reading poo poo that isn't there.

You said this:

YouTuber posted:

Some times it's great to have 3 bloodstones. Build and max them successively and you have unlimited mana essentially.

You literally said it's great to have 3 bloodstones sometimes. Then you edited it out. Amazing.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Bholder posted:

Ok, what the gently caress happened that turned Ember from the worst to one of the best?

Don't worry, he still is one of the worst heros in your games. He's mediocre at best unless you're Arteezy and at that point, you might as well start wondering why Morphling is suddenly so OP.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

TheRat posted:

To be fair they changed Morphling back to almost TI2 level a patch or two ago.

And he's still a terrible pub hero.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Figured it would be because of prodota. Why is Lycan considered OP now? I've seen a few people pick him recently and they were all loving garbage.

Lycans always have garbage scores but it doesn't matter because he shoves 10k worth of tower gold down his team's throat.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Luigi Thirty posted:

Lane Doom is fun

Doom is never fun.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Dr. Capco posted:

You'd be better off picking a useful/faster jungler like Enigma who can be useful early on in the game rather than pick a terrible jungler that will make your team have to play 4v5 for the first 15 minutes before you can actually contribute to the team.

Picking one of the hardest heros in the game to play while simultaneously giving the enemy carry free farm doesn't sound like a great way to raise your MMR.

TheRat posted:

Whats that? You dont pierce bkb? Goodbye.

BKB on Ember is so bad that even pros don't get it.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Internet Kraken posted:

The problem is I'm not sure why my cs is so poor.

You were splitting the farm between 3 cores and a Puck.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
I'm really glad no one picks Centaur because holy gently caress is he broken as poo poo. Typical Icefraud, buff an already strong pub hero until he becomes a nightmare.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Doltos posted:

But they can repeatedly call me the loving worst and I'm supposed to grin and take it? Okay.

You continually spew nonsensical gibberish and never back it up with anything substantial when you're called out (MMR/Dotabuff/Replays/etc). I'm still waiting for you to link your dotabuff so you can show us all your sick Tinker games. Ya know, because you claimed he was so easy to play (and then went on to compare him to loving Keeper in terms of skill required).

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

FlyinPingu posted:

How does Dark Seer only have a 47% win rate, how do you gently caress up playing Dark Seer. :psyduck:

1. People gently caress up vacuum and wall constantly.
2. Terrible item choices most of the time (heart, brown boots aghs rush, etc)
3. Half the time he shares a lane with some other random hero.

Actually, it's incredible he even has a 47% win rate.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
The worst mindset people have in regards to supports is that they're "supposed" to die a lot. If you're 1/13/12 at the end of the game, it means you're bad as a support. In pro games, supports don't voraciously feed when they're losing, and neither should you.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

No Safe Word posted:

Yes if you're only dying then yeah, but if you get your teamfight stuff off and then die after while the rest of your team picks off everyone else then it's fine. Just pointing out the other side of "dying a lot isn't the goal but you can still die a lot and have done kind of okay in some circumstances"

Like I think I did okay in this match as a veno but finished 7/16/34

Still ended up with the most hero damage on the team (and almost second most in the game)

Uhhh, I hope you realize that your Veno game is awful. That is a pitiful amount of damage for a Veno when the game is that long. This is exactly what I'm talking about, actually. You fed like a motherfucker and did a low amount of damage (for a veno). They also only had 1 BKB and no pipe, so it's not like your damage was being mitigated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

If your team is losing, you will feed as a support, because you will die in team fights.

No.

No Safe Word posted:

You clearly watched the whole game replay (in 8 minutes) so thanks for your insight.

e: the game is older than I thought so the replay isn't available, but hey still good job

I don't need to watch the replay to know you died a lot + did no damage. Check dotabuff. Your damage was low, especially considering you were against a a team that had only 1 BKB and no pipe.

• Locked thread