Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The best way to play Tiny is to convince a friend to play Io. All the speed bonuses and relocate mobility you could ever want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Supporting is the easiest way to boost your MMR. Just play Treant Protector every game. Pubs are so awful at dealing with Living Armor.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

FlyinPingu posted:

I don't play ranked because I like having all of the good game modes in the rotation and there is little appeal in watching a number go up/down for me.

This is pretty much me. I still haven't even finished my calibration matches. Every time I think I want to play ranked I inevitably end up playing a game of AR, SD, RD, or RAD. Just so much funner.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

For those who didn't see it live, this was an insane play by Arteezy today.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Those little cutscenes in the movie were pretty awesome. Gonna be sad if each and every one of them isn't a gif within a day. That Puck :3:.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I gave up on ember because despite liking his style I never found a build that felt right for him. What are pros running that makes him first ban worthy, and in what position? Mid or a farming carry?

Teams run Ember in both the mid and safelane carry positions. You usually see them build phase or arcane boots. After that it depends a lot on the opposition. Deso/Daedalus is a pretty common build, as it gives him the ability to cripple or kill squishy heroes from an insane distance away. Grabbing a battlefury or two is happens if the other team has treants or necro minions or something. BKB is sometimes useful if the other team has good reliable lock down, as Ember is squishy as hell and relies on his abilities to escape.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

how me a frog posted:

Glados ward, "Free to play" camera ward, ward fish, literally eye of Sauron, weathervane ward, polycount logo ward, lovely tower with random stars and the usual eye floating over it, little eye wearing storm spirit clothes hue hue hue.

Cartoon mushroom man, not one but two versions of the "lovely wizard", lovely robot/bear/beetle hybrid with goggles "Maximilian the Beetlebear", a loving snail with a boot of travel tied to it's head (LOOOOL!!!!!11), two christmas elves carrying around a chest, tinkbot, baby chocobo, dachshund with a saussage dangling in front of him from a stick, chicken with a rucksack, some sort of purple man with a stick, a beaver in racing clothes riding a log made to look like a motorbike, a pig riding on a dwarf's back, an inexplicable red man in a hat, a baby octopus pirate with a hilarious tentacle moustache, a flying film camera. And these are just that the ones that are in my opinion completely indefensible, there's plenty more that are (only) offensive visually.

Anyone who talks poo poo about Waldi the Faithful is dead to me.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

I am gonna start abandoning games if the dude who buys courier buys a courier I don't like. I refuse to waste 40 minutes of my life staring at a chocobo.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Skadi is the victory cigar item. It is really great as that 5th or 6th item on most hard carries, and if you are getting to that point the game is probably already won.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

dr.acula posted:

Guys I'm becoming a Meepo player and could use some pointers. So far I'm building BoT, Aghs, Vlads, Skadi and Manta in most situations.

Blink Dagger is pretty loving awesome on Meepo. Blink onto a dude, drop a net, and unleash the poofy hell of your Meepo army.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

A dude who made clocks for a living has now cages and murders gods for fun.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Crystal Maiden's Int getting lowered yet again was notable because she now starts out with less Int than Ogre Magi's 17. :(

It makes it really painful to get CM in RAD when the other team gets her aura.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Pr0phecy posted:

Lost to PL illusion split push, then TB illusion split push, then to Naga illusion split push.

loving stupid.

Two of those three heroes are absurdly easy to kill in the first 20-25 minutes (Naga with song the exception). Just keep the pressure on them and keep them from hitting critical mass.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Beastmaster is pretty cool but I'm not sure in what order I get for him. Agh's first seems to make him a beefy bully and gives his ult a screen-length range but I'm not sure if I'm just supposed to rush Blink and Heart on him or whatever. Or some comedy gotta go fast build.

Blink and Aghs are great items on Beastmaster, I usually go blink first if the enemy has a slippery hero that needs to be shut down. Necro works well with his passive if you want to be a big pusher. Refresher Orb is a good luxury item if the game goes late enough. That six slotted Anti-Mage or Weaver is going to be miserable as gently caress if you stun him for 8 seconds.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

God playing Undying is so fun. So often an enemy doesn't pay attention to the decay stacks early on. Why yes Mr. Slardar, you are trying to melee creeps despite having -16 strength and sitting at a comfortable 300 total hp. Thanks for the first blood.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

TheRat posted:

I do not understand how that medusa lost.

I am going to guess the Medusa was out somewhere when the other team decided to destroy the ancient and she was forced to slither back with her abominable movespeed. She didn't make it.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

FlyinPingu posted:

Why is offlane Treant a thing? It seems really terrible to me, considering you're a dumb melee support with no real escape and no way to do anything at all to the enemy safelane. It also feels like a huge waste, considering in a dual lane you're actually able to get in and smack the poo poo out of dudes.

Fast levels means better Living Armor, which is absurdly powerful at level 3 and 4. He certainly won't be getting much farm, but all Tree needs is level 7 before he is dominating the game.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Wargigargle posted:

You know, sometimes when I am a support, and I have plenty of slots open, I just grab a cloak for the extra 15% magic resistance.

Is that a bad thing, especially against a nuke heavy lineup?

Not a bad thing at all, although some support heroes with really flimsy health pools would be better off with a bracer. A cheap little cloak served me quite well against an Aghs/Refresher Zeus today.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Skeletons are cooler, but his new lines are so much better that I consider it a net positive.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

I just had one of the more epic games I have ever played. I was AA and our team was getting wrecked hard early by a fat Naix/CK/Abaddon and the pushing power of a Shadow Shaman. We lost two sets of rax and were down over 20k gold/xp. We held on for a while and our Ember got a Divine. I bought a Refresher since I was on base defense duty permanently. Team pushed down, took mid rax, but all died attacking Ancient and Puck got the divine. Their Naix refused to push with the rest of their team though, and we won when they tried to end it. Team pushed down mid, engaged the Naix, and I got an insane well timed (lucky as gently caress) ult just as rage ended before he popped Satanic and we managed to kill him. Easy Win.

Refresher/Aghs AA owns bones, especially when the enemy team has 3 hearts.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

drat, now I am going to be sticking near a computer all day waiting on patch notes. This is probably the last major balance patch before TI4, so I expect a doozy.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Mystic Flare would be so cool if it did universal damage.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Another thing Weave is great for is the vision it provides. Vision is always great at every part of the game.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Could I get some advice for what I could have done better as a player for this match? I was Lina. http://dotabuff.com/matches/609300120

Things I know I did wrong in it

* Skilling up a second point in LSA accidentally early on.

* Probably not harassing the AM enough, as well as not blocking camps during the lane phase.

* Not keeping enough vision up throughout the game.

* Getting picked off by the AM probably around seven times and not having an item to keep that from happening (ghost scepter, force, blink).

* Missing a bunch of stuns.

* Maybe not having a TP all the time? That's a little fuzzy.

* Wandering around by myself / not being close to my teammates who could live longer than me.

Appreciate whatever I can get!

Oh yeah I forgot I got caught in every static storm ever cast by the fuckin Disruptor too

V Yep I said I skilled wrong at level 3 V

You got Laguna Blade at 6. Clearly the wrong decision. You need that extra 60 damage.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

I think Brood got over nerfed, but is still a pretty decent hero in the hands of a player who understands her. Her tree walking mechanic is broken to hell and unreliable at best, but she is still capable of gobbling up xp in a scary trilane and can butcher any hero 1v1. As long as you aren't feeding thousands of spiderlings you can deny a huge portion of the map to the enemy unless they have supports babysitting them, which will assure your other lanes dominance. She has no real teamfight potential without a lot of items, but if she can make space for the rest of your team things usually go well.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 15, 2014

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

I feel like Silencer has so much flexibility with his builds depending on the enemy comp. Nothing like grabbing Curse at 1 to piss all over that 0 spell Shadow Fiend or Sniper. Glaives at 1 is great if you intend to constantly orb harass. Last Word is obviously an exceptional nuke/debuff.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Hillbilly Pharoh posted:

Curse at 1 makes no sense. Last Word does more damage (guaranteed), and disarms them guaranteed if it's an SF or whatever.

The damage is pretty crappy, but 2-3 uses of the spell can drain a lot of non-int heroes dry pretty fast. It also can hit multiple heroes at once. Not to say I would normally suggest it over Last Word, but there are a couple situations where it works.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

cindel posted:

So I've been practicing my Invoker skills as I have my 1000th game coming up and I want to do something really memorable so it was either Invoker or Meepo (I imagine it will be me feeding horribly but it's all part of the plan.)

Can anyone link me to the most recent advice on how to skill Invoker, or advise themselves?
I know you used to take early Exort for harass damage but I also know that EMP has been buffed so maybe that's worth taking into consideration?

Quas/Wex Invoker is the more popular Invoker, but an Exort Invoker is still quite doable. If you go QW you probably want to pick up an early blades of attack to help with CSing before building it into Phase. Tornado/EMP combo is brutally powerful right now, as is Cold Snap and Ghost Walk.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

As a support am I supposed to use basically all my starting gold on courier and wards? I usually go courier, some regen items(tango, salve, clarity), and 3 branches. I suppose I could get wards instead of the branches?

If you are lucky the other support will buy the wards. I usually place 0 faith in the other support and buy both, however.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Here's what I do.

Buy wards right away. Place one in mid runes near whatever lane you're going in, and then drop the ward on the ground near the mid player to ward the other side themselves when they need to check the other side.

I don't buy a courier with starting gold anymore. Most players in these games we're all complaining about don't need one in the first five minutes anyway. I buy one when I go running back for mana because I inevitably have to.

(Edited for clarity, I'm on a smartphone.)

I am sure your mid player appreciates that 5-6 minute bottle.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

It is worth mentioning that sometimes you do want to park your support rear end in lane and babysit your carry. Going around stacking and ganking is all well and good, but if you are leaving your carry alone against a pissed off Broodmama or Clockwerk bad things will happen.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

- Chat wheel isn't prevented when communication banned.
- Fixed bug allowing more than the maximum reports/commends per week.
- Allow chat in private/tournament lobbies while communication banned.
- Players are now notified how much time is remaining on the communication ban.
- Fixed server stability issue that was resulting in a reduced number of servers and long wait times.
- Fixed issue where heroes were not displaying in the Loadout panel when using some items.
- Workshop panel updates the hero and item models on import.
- Fixed an issue where some courier effects were not being loaded and displayed.
- Fixed an issue where Lina's Fiery Soul skin was incorrect.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Red Red Blue posted:

Those are patch notes from last year

That is what I get for looking to Reddit for answers.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Is there some weird sect of people who give a poo poo about RAD and play it seriously?

Even in RAD I still play seriously. If you aren't going to play a game seriously you are just wasting the other players time. Creating unique ability combinations is really fun. Nothing like ending up as some weird Mirana/Pudge hybrid with an absurd Arrow into Hook into Starfall with a Dismember combo.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Gabe told my cat that Oracle was getting added to Dota 2 tomorrow and being immediately added to CM.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

I see nothing wrong with a hero having a 60 second sleep. I think this is a deserved buff for the Bane Elemental in 6.81.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Nothing quite as fun as playing KOTL supporting a Lycan in a duallane vs an offensive tri. The othe team dives Lycan, he jukes into the woods near the radiant side shop, and they all follow. Radiant creeps followed them. Eventually it ended with all 3 Dire heroes in the woods blocked by creeps unable to escape. Again, I was KOTL. Christmas came early this year.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Keeper of the Light

Added Aghanim's Scepter upgrade: Provides permanent Spirit Form. Additionally, the following effects are active during the day: Keeper of the Light gains unobstructed vision and Illuminate heals allies for 75% of the damage values

oh my loving god.

Also:

Attack range increased from 650 to 670

Lina got another range buff.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

So many really cool changes in this patch. I am loving stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Almost every aghs upgrade added in this patch looks really interesting to me. Aghs Abaddon, KOTL, Jakiro, Lich, Lina, Omni, SD, and WR all look to be viable options.

• Locked thread