Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Last time I picked IO in CD someone grabbed him before I could then said he couldn't play it and started bitching at me for drafting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

MuffinMan posted:

The ol' ignore the bear build. But then, why even play the hero?

The bear still has a nice entangle and adds some damage, but with better base damage and attack speed the hero gets more out of items.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Elman posted:

Playing Dark Seer against Clockwerk is a joy.

Nice cog initiation on Luna, mate. Would be a shame if someone were to vacuum your entire team in there and drop a wall on top :getin:

The other day I got to drow vs darkseer. Deny everything. It swung in his favor for a minute at level 5, but then at 6 I just murdered his shell target and or denied everything. He couldn't even really jump on me with his hero because there's no way for him to not push.

PS. Farm heroes.

code:
THE DIRE
Hero	Player		K	D	A	Gold	LH	DN	XPM	GPM	HD	HH	TD	
Phantom Assassin	23	3	19	21.4k	80	5	972	632	27.5k	25	2.3k	

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TheBigAristotle posted:

I don't play Beastmaster because my micro is poo poo, but that set is boss as gently caress :911:

Send ward to ward, group your puppy with your main guy. He's the easiest hero with multi units ever.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm really surprised they still haven't smoothed out the damage curve of shuriken. It's such an odd one.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cabbit posted:

Even broken, Tranqs are still the second fastest boot in the game after BoTs and you never lose the +4 armor.

I should really do this on my zues. I usually go phase because I'm dumb and like the active boost. I build euls, travels eventually, and sometimes even drums. Zoom zoom zues.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Whats this now?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Doltos posted:

Best skewer I ever saw was a Kunkka putting X marks the spot on the enemy Magnataur. The Magnataur TPed in, skewered three of us, and then re-appeared in the fountain killing us all.

This is probably easier to hit, even though it requires teleporting, because the timing is all on the kunkka.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Elman posted:

What's so weird about offlane Lich?

No way to not get murdered.

I like heroes that are good vs offlaners. Radiant get ds? Send a triple stun lane bottom and take drow top solo.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Bread Set Jettison posted:

There are few things more satisfying than delivering a well timed sunder resulting in a kill and walking away almost max health.

...and there are few things more demoralizing than being on the receiving end.

The best is when you are so big you just kill him anyway.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Wargigargle posted:

I was gonna try and think of a way Maelstrom is better than a Desolator, but I'm pretty sure the extra damage from the armor debuff would be a lot stronger in cutting through those illusions after a second Sleight of Fist.

Hell, I think the only time I wouldn't grab Deso on Ember if someone else had a Deso. And even then, I feel like Ember is one of the best Deso holders in the game.

He really is. I like OoV on him til then.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Presumably that math is based on only cleaving onto 1 target at a time, so the cleave damage can go even higher.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Game is free to play, just make an alternate steam account.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

BasicBitch posted:

sick of pro casters pretending that puck is a difficult hero to disengage with. "What a player!!" after using one of her several get-out-of-jail free cards.

That's like the "pudge landed a hook" of "big play" escapes.

Anatharon posted:

Either it's a small amount and irrelevant or it's a large amount and thus a clear improvement for said people with the argument against it being "We can't give these people want they want or they might have FUN."

New idea. Introduce a blind concede box that simply asks whether a player is or is not ready to concede, and never indicate what other players are voting. Then never actually make that button do anything.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Gravefront posted:

Yeah, this just happened to me. We had two morons fighting over mid and the enemy team was comprised almost solely of people who must have belonged to some sort of ultra-keen gank squad. My farm was poor and everyone was arguing.

Then, somehow, we win anyway.

Dota!

http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/dota2.gamepedia.com/c/cf/Dlc_glados_ann_glados_spectat_06.mp3

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I actually enjoy NP and Lycan as they exist currently because they are a reminder to everyone that the objective is to actually destroy the ancient, and killing people is only a means to that end.

The enemy's ancient is DOWN.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Fecha posted:

Made it an Arcana and change his ultimate to Ghost Pool Noodle.

Did you somehow forget about Tidehunter hitting people with a shark while wearing an octopus?

They should do a corporate sponsored items April fools prank where they add Nerf Gun Sniper and Nerf Bow for Windranger, Sam Adams' Brewmaster in a tricorner hat, and other such items.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Khisanth Magus posted:

viper... laning with blood seeker.
This really should not happen ever in any tier. I know you are in the trench but even then

Scorps posted:

There is a certain point in a dota players life where he sees the enemy instalock Pudge and feels inside himself not fear, but excited anticipation as they click on Puck.

I usually pick carries or semis for this because he's going to push the lane so not only do I dodge everything but I probably get freefarm. PA, Jugg (let him land the hook at level 4 then drop your ward and spin), Bloodseeker, Huskar and Ember are all pretty fun for this.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

If 'Elo Hell' exists, a guy who plays at like 5600 mmr isn't going to show it. It's people marginally better then a really bad MMR - starting at 3000 likewise avoids most of the worst of it. I'm entirely sure there's probably a bunch of people in the low/mid-2000 MMRs or something who are slightly better than their MMR would imply but also are not good enough to offset the dumb poo poo that inhabits actual trench tier. I doubt it's as wide or systemic as people believe though.

I'd like to see a 3k player try to fight his way back to 3k from 1k.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Doltos posted:

It's amazing how easy it is to outpick someone in Captains Mode and and how hard it is to actually press the button to be the captain.

I wish dotabuff tracked w/l as captain.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Amber Alert posted:

you add a basi on top of the wraith band you bought because you randomed viper, and you have plenty of mana

This doesn't work.

If you have the mana to autocast you don't have aghs and are playing wrong.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Heroes that don't need farm with big AOE ults are good for new people I think. Tide, Warlock, Venomancer etc...

Warlock is a nice happy medium because he can win games solo if he does well early, but he does fine without.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Emron posted:

I got yelled at by a juggernaut for kill stealing people earlier this week. By that he meant jumping on people he was right clicking, and right clicking them as well. We were both, like, 17/2/10, so I don't see why it mattered. This was before I had a really frustrating losing streak in ranked, so it was at the positively sky high bracket of 2650 mmr. People are weird, y'all.

Edit I was riki that round, if that matters (it does not matter)

Honestly, even though its loving stupid I can kind of see why a hard carry gets annoyed by supports 'stealing' gold. But another hard carry is a whole different thing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Lord of Hats posted:

Nothing quite like shooting lightning everywhere. This patch was really nice for him too; being able to deward and having a much shorter windup on Chain Lightning is nice. When I was pushing with my team I used to keep trying to cast Chain Lightning and having it cancelled because the creep died before I got the cast off. Now if they'd just do something about his horrendous autoattack.

Zues is one of those heroes that don't seem to fit into comp meta so no one ever plays them in pubs but is still very very strong. The trick is to just start sniping cross map ult kills the second you hit six so you can rush your Euls/staff/blink/bot. It's more effective for the whole team if you do this. Personally I'm most comfortable with max MS but basically any kind of mobility + mana regen on him and you are gonna just blast the poo poo out of everything.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

King of Spit posted:

He is he's just a niche pick as a counter to certain heroes (bkb centric carries that lack mobility and burst, like naix). He doesn't need any buffs. He's currently a very hard counter to both Viper and OD.

I never understood how he's supposed to counter viper. Does his passive proc off orb harass? I didn't think it did but that's the only way it makes sense to me.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Elysiume posted:

I personally cannot imagine what someone would try to say that wouldn't fit into 8 semi-customizable slots.

I'm at 24 and that's because I don't feel the particular need to use more. Maybe you should apply some basic google skills to this problem

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I have the same problem but up near the 3600 mmr average range. My theorydotes is strong as gently caress, and honestly when people listen to my advice they start doing better for the most part. But I'm a raging gently caress and I occasionally big throw just like anyone else

The most frustrating thing is when people get locked into this idea of what they are supposed to be doing and won't break out of it if it isn't working. Trilane getting wrecked by aggro tri? 4 man pressure top and either roll some towers or make space for your carry. Level 6 Doom jungling? GO CAST DOOM ON SOMEBODY. etc.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

I think goons are just really bad at playing late game because we don't make it there very often.

I died to necro because I'm not really good at bottle crowing in a timely manner.
Bottelcrowing viper. What is this?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Elman posted:

It doesn't matter what the chat wheel has cause you can only pick 8 things to say.

I have 3 wheels. I could make a bunch more but I'm lazy.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

jBrereton posted:

The only (the only) Huskar Counterpick is Dark Seer. To defeat Huskar, you must BECOME Huskar.

Is that why we've seen so much DS in pro games lately? Yes.

Viper is pretty good against huskar. Burning spears proc corrosive skin for a long time, you have your own orb, you gain increased physical damage as he gains increased attack speed and magic armor, an all purpose damage reduction, and a shitton of attack speed slow.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There are chat tabs in game?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
What if the first time tinker also has 6k invoker games?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Brannock posted:

I don't know, I think being repeatedly muted would add up and send a message. Plus it's only the most irredeemable that don't get shocked by being muted and change their behavior even slightly.

Hey, if you get muted you get at least a few days where you can't reoffend so you are starting off on the right path.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Eul's Necro rules.

Is move speed measured in units of range per second?

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 30, 2014

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Zain posted:

What's Multiboxing? I'm guessing multiple instances of the same game, but what's the purpose?

Either to queue against yourself and throw games from one account to another or to just straight up play two heroes in one game.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

himurak posted:

I swear if dota becomes an actual language in a decade I'm bombing the servers.

It happens with lots of things. More dips, more dots, we need a stronger center to counter ruck the infield fly rule and spawncamp the tank.

I was walking by some guys who were clearly talking about a moba I haven't played (probably lol) but I could tell it was a moba because of they way they were talking about the characters taking nerfs/buffs to skills. I don't think they mentioned lanes, towers, or creeps.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Does/how much does the minimum nerf to Mirana's arrow stun/damage change the range for max? It says in the notes it's still linear.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ever since it was announced that DOTA2 would be made in source I have wanted to run around a DOTA match but with TF2 controls.

DotaMaps now with Laneview.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Elman posted:

How does Euls help? You can't tell when he's going to cast his ult.

Use it on yourself when you see blademail up on him.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The 1/1/3/1 boat kill thing for kunkka is a pretty good idea because his level 1 boat hits for 400 which is quite a lot for a level 1 ult with ton of other poo poo attached. I'll have to try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I tried out Maelstrom on Windrunner, after getting Phase / Mek / Force staff. The constant buffs to the ult made me decide to finally give it a try. It's actually not bad but your ult is still only up every 60 seconds, and getting it that late meant that really the only time it was useful was if I was ulting. The lightning procced less than I thought.

Aghs is good!

• Locked thread