Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Getting solo offlane is surprisingly easy considering how fun a position it is to play. It is my preferred position, but I actually end up with it more often than I even expect. Including a delicious though unexpected Ogre Magi offlane this weekend. Somehow managed to outwit the Slardard+Jakiro I were up against. Got some nice kills, ended up with arcane boots and aghs by 17 minutes, and the game was rapidly won from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

cindel posted:

It's not the loss that I'm talking about, it's the trolls. The Shadow Fiend called support for some godforsaken reason, then immediately hassled me to buy support items until I put him on ignore.

Are you sure he was calling support, and not that he was asking for people to pick support heroes?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
What do you get late game as Terrorblade? I was crushing early but they stabilized with a bunch of ranged DPS and a pretty good Phoenix. I felt completely worthless late game with Tinker machines eating all my illusions.

It didn't help that my antimage was offended from the get go that I'd pick TB with him on the team and refused to ever help in a single fight while buying BKB, Linken, and Vlads. But, I really should have won that game despite him actively not helping the team.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Past 70 minute games never work out for me.

Past that point a lot of games look nothing like regular dota any more, and playing them out normally is a good way to lose them.

Usually both sides have the items and mobility to tear down whatever buildings are left in a very small amount of time, so it becomes more of a stealth/mindgame situation where whoever manages to get a guy or two into the other team's base for 15-20 seconds is probably going to win. The number one thing is to always have buyback money if it's off cooldown, followed by most if not everyone have boots of travel. After that it's more situational, but ghost scepters, eul's, bkbs, halberds etc are worth considering on pretty much any hero if you don't already have them and can afford them while still having buybacks.

It all comes down to 10-15 second engagements where you either stop the enemy team from focusing down the rest of your poo poo or vice versa.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Doltos posted:

What do you get late game as Terrorblade? I was crushing early but they stabilized with a bunch of ranged DPS and a pretty good Phoenix. I felt completely worthless late game with Tinker machines eating all my illusions.

It didn't help that my antimage was offended from the get go that I'd pick TB with him on the team and refused to ever help in a single fight while buying BKB, Linken, and Vlads. But, I really should have won that game despite him actively not helping the team.

If you can't rely on your illusions anymore you get things like Butterfly and Satanic and BKB to be a normal carry. But with like Manta and Skadi your illusions should be boss as gently caress enough that they'll have a hard time killing them without getting some more powerful AoE than tinkerbots.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I posted this a few pages ago, but one of the best ways to carry 'up' your MMR is to work around the dumb things that occur in every public game. Assume someone will be picking and playing their favourite 'me safe' hard Carry, some clownshoes in your team will be playing Pudge mid or will just sit there as EEE Invoker missing everything, and pick strong offlanes or 'fairly' gold-independent gankers (Mirana is one of my favourite choices for this, Sand King/Viper are both great for it too) and just survive until you get your utter basics, then go to town making room.

Your carry will get his boner from feeling 'he carried the team' when in fact he did gently caress all for 30 minutes, and you basically did the job, and you'll win a lot more than you lose. Be incredibly cautious on the lane, be prepared to go hunt down the (also inevitable) poo poo Jungle Doom/N'aix, be willing to head through the jungle if you don't find them and whack mid, and you need to buy Wards with your opening gold.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
One Weird Tip For Winning Games: Say 'gj' or 'well done' or 'nice hook' whenever your teammates do anything. Like 60% of the games I win are purely because our team has some camaraderie while the other side are raging at each other. Morale is OP.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I love any natural farming mek-carrier, Viper is underrated (as a broad utility to the team) since he gets built greedy too often. Get a mek and an aghs and be a team cornerstone while still being able to right-click your way through the midgame with ease. Shove those viperstrike kills down your worthless carries throats until they have to much gold to manage to fail to carry.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

AXE COP posted:

One Weird Tip For Winning Games: Say 'gj' or 'well done' or 'nice hook' whenever your teammates do anything. Like 60% of the games I win are purely because our team has some camaraderie while the other side are raging at each other. Morale is OP.

Just don't use "Well played!" for this :v:

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

AXE COP posted:

This is very true.

At lower levels of play everyone is making non-stop piles of mistakes. Mistakes they're not even aware of. It's easy to pick up on the extremely dumb things your allies do but it's not really helpful or interesting beyond identifying it for your own learning. Get your fundamentals down and focus on your own play and as you improve you'll see exploitable mistakes everywhere to the point that it's almost difficult to lose against people who are where you were at previously.

e: Put it this way. If you reach the level where you can reliably get 4 lasthits per minute, which requires some practice but is definitely possible, you can come out of laning at say 10 minutes in with something like an extra 1300g. How much better do you think your chances of winning or covering for an ally's poor playing are when you've got hundreds or thousands of extra gold? It's like cheating!

BigLeafyTree fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 7, 2014

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

AXE COP posted:

Also when the other team misplays then call them out and laugh at them in team chat. Saying stuff like "haha their noob Disruptor wasted all of his mana" makes the opposing team look a lot less threatening and boosts morale.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

AXE COP posted:

The truest post. DOTA is more a game about depleting an invisible bar of enemy morale through beating them. Oddly, attempts to directly deplete it (trolling) are much less effective than simple tactics to keep your own from depleting, such as bolstering it through genuinely positive statements and voice chat.

The issue is the number of asshats you meet whose primary aim seems to be depleting their own teams' bar, some days.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I had a couple fun games over the weekend.

First one I random treant protector, and then my team expects me to solo a lane as 2 of the 3 people who queued together wanted to dual lane together and their friend wanted to jungle. That was a clusterfuck until the jungler decided to join me (at which point we kicked butt).

Second one I ransomed viper, and was hard laning with blood seeker. He keeps over extending and getting ambushed and killed, and keeps calling me a "noob" the whole time while he feeds them kills because I keep backing off when they are obviously positioning to ambush us(while pinging where they are) and one point I didn't help him when he wanted to attack them(indicated only with pings) because I had been harassed so much while he was gone from being dead I was low on health and mana and was waiting on the courier to bring me another salve to keep me going until I could get some decent regen going.

I love playing unranked.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
At lower skill levels, playing weaver as an offlane ganker instead of an afk farming carry is very effective pretty much regardless of team comp. He's slippery as gently caress even for good teams to deal with and we're talking about people quite a few rungs down the ladder from good. You don't even have to be very good to use him. The only skill you really need to learn to land involves being invisible and running right at someone at max move speed. If you get into trouble, mash R and then walk away until R is available again.

In lovely all pick games full of retards it really doesn't matter if you already have 2-3 carries because the other team is probably just as awful. You can do decently (ie not die and get some last hits) even against a trilane with sentry wards unless they are very coordinated and have multiple disables. You're never going to see that though, and anything less scary than that means you can easily work the lane, dip into the jungle to harass or kill whoever is there, and show up in other lanes if your allies are showing sparks of consciousness that might lead to a gank.

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.
If you wanna win just counter pick in mid in ap. Ez.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Anyone got some tips on how to hook better? Like I've always not thrown hooks through narrow creep gaps due to the idea that it will snag a creep.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Shockeh posted:

The truest post. DOTA is more a game about depleting an invisible bar of enemy morale through beating them. Oddly, attempts to directly deplete it (trolling) are much less effective than simple tactics to keep your own from depleting, such as bolstering it through genuinely positive statements and voice chat.

This is 100% correct. You can trash talk people all you want but making sure your own team is happy will have a bigger effect on this invisible morale bar than anything else.

Here's an idea I had after watching my team complain that we had no push after my captain picked Lycan and Shadow Shaman. I have a feeling 95% of pubbies have no clue what their team strengths actually are. They'll blame silly poo poo like saying we were outpicked or have no late game even if our captain picked an extremely solid middle game team, and that the reason we lost was because the pubbies did nothing to capitalize on our huge mid game lead.

What if, instead of labeling heroes as support/carry/etc, they had bars with 1-5 point totals. Like Luna can have a 5 in farm dependence and a 4 in damage output or whatever. When someone picks this hero the points go towards the team's total points. So after picking a lineup of Luna - Centaur - Witch Doctor - Crystal Maiden - Invoker might show a 5 in magic damage, a 2 in Durability, a 5 in burst damage, etc. That way when the picking is done everyone understands what their lineup is best at, and what the enemy team is best at.

Obviously we know what our lineups are good at but I have a feeling most people don't, and a visual representation of that might be the best way to fix pubbie's moaning about a relatively really good lineup or buying BKB against an all physical team.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Doltos posted:

This is 100% correct. You can trash talk people all you want but making sure your own team is happy will have a bigger effect on this invisible morale bar than anything else.

Here's an idea I had after watching my team complain that we had no push after my captain picked Lycan and Shadow Shaman. I have a feeling 95% of pubbies have no clue what their team strengths actually are. They'll blame silly poo poo like saying we were outpicked or have no late game even if our captain picked an extremely solid middle game team, and that the reason we lost was because the pubbies did nothing to capitalize on our huge mid game lead.

What if, instead of labeling heroes as support/carry/etc, they had bars with 1-5 point totals. Like Luna can have a 5 in farm dependence and a 4 in damage output or whatever. When someone picks this hero the points go towards the team's total points. So after picking a lineup of Luna - Centaur - Witch Doctor - Crystal Maiden - Invoker might show a 5 in magic damage, a 2 in Durability, a 5 in burst damage, etc. That way when the picking is done everyone understands what their lineup is best at, and what the enemy team is best at.

Obviously we know what our lineups are good at but I have a feeling most people don't, and a visual representation of that might be the best way to fix pubbie's moaning about a relatively really good lineup or buying BKB against an all physical team.

What a terrible idea. It would be difficult to implement, the information in the ratings would be nigh-impossible to keep accurate as a result of patches and shifts in the meta, it would lead to dumb people trying to minmax total team points regardless of actual team strength, and you'd need so many different categories that the information would be impossible to process quickly.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Doltos posted:

Obviously we know what our lineups are good at

help, i'm dying

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

Aferisan posted:

If you wanna win just counter pick in mid in ap. Ez.

There is a certain point in a dota players life where he sees the enemy instalock Pudge and feels inside himself not fear, but excited anticipation as they click on Puck.

Storm is my second favorite pick against Pudge but I'm too addicted to phase shifting hooks and typing "Puck Out!" in all chat

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Doltos posted:

What did you buy?

BasicBitch
Feb 2, 2014

Fat_Cow posted:

Anyone got some tips on how to hook better? Like I've always not thrown hooks through narrow creep gaps due to the idea that it will snag a creep.

Don't quick cast/smart cast the hook. Its much easier to cancel the animation in case anything changes and it stops any "panic hooks".

SOURCE: DONDO DOESN'T QUICK CAST.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

He also uses legacy keys and up to and including during the TI3 final didn't double click his TP scrolls to go home but instead clicked them in the fountain

I know this because he missed the fountain and TP'd to the ancient during the final big teleport that was lengthened because of other ally TPs whereas if he would have double clicked it would be the standard length cast.

Basically Dendi is really good but take what he does with a grain of salt because he has a lot of weird carryovers like that from Dota 1 I've noticed him do. Like not have a button mapped for the Add New Skill point, he clicks on it 99% of the time from what I've seen.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Khisanth Magus posted:

viper... laning with blood seeker.
This really should not happen ever in any tier. I know you are in the trench but even then

Scorps posted:

There is a certain point in a dota players life where he sees the enemy instalock Pudge and feels inside himself not fear, but excited anticipation as they click on Puck.

I usually pick carries or semis for this because he's going to push the lane so not only do I dodge everything but I probably get freefarm. PA, Jugg (let him land the hook at level 4 then drop your ward and spin), Bloodseeker, Huskar and Ember are all pretty fun for this.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

BasicBitch posted:

Don't quick cast/smart cast the hook. Its much easier to cancel the animation in case anything changes and it stops any "panic hooks".

SOURCE: DONDO DOESN'T QUICK CAST.

You can cancel the animation easily anyway. It's the same animation whether you quick cast or no!

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Scorps posted:

There is a certain point in a dota players life where he sees the enemy instalock Pudge and feels inside himself not fear, but excited anticipation as they click on (literally any hero you want)

Hey, cool, I can take whatever hero I want mid now and get gold and XP, and their supports need to come gank me so that their ganking mid can get xp to go gank.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Ambivalent posted:

Hey, cool, I can take whatever hero I want mid now and get gold and XP, and their supports need to come gank me so that their ganking mid can get xp to go gank.

Yeah but it isn't as cool if you aren't Puck clearly since you can't disrespect them as much.

I'd disagree somewhat also, if you are going to completely zone Pudge out of XP range you need someone who can dominate him not just not get hooked.

BasicBitch
Feb 2, 2014

Scorps posted:

He also uses legacy keys and up to and including during the TI3 final didn't double click his TP scrolls to go home but instead clicked them in the fountain

I know this because he missed the fountain and TP'd to the ancient during the final big teleport that was lengthened because of other ally TPs whereas if he would have double clicked it would be the standard length cast.

Basically Dendi is really good but take what he does with a grain of salt because he has a lot of weird carryovers like that from Dota 1 I've noticed him do. Like not have a button mapped for the Add New Skill point, he clicks on it 99% of the time from what I've seen.

On the plus side, he's never miss-skilled and requested a remake. 99% skill-leveling accuracy.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Scorps posted:

I'd disagree somewhat also, if you are going to completely zone Pudge out of XP range you need someone who can dominate him not just not get hooked.

Necrophos is the greatest comedy option for that because Pudge is just a big fat bag of HP but better mids like Ember Spirit work too. Just don't pick Viper because Pudge counters him so hard.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Nevvy Z posted:

This really should not happen ever in any tier. I know you are in the trench but even then

I've been playing all random for the past few days(with the exception of the game I randomed lone druid and repicked something else because I'd suck even more than normal with him) and so I didn't have a choice in what I picked, and I was the first pick on my team. 2 people had queued together and wanted to lane together. Someone else got into an argument with the blood seeker player about who would mid and the bs player lost the argument and ended up in my lane(in unranked it seems that 99% of games are 2-1-2 lanes with no jungling or tri-lanes).

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I finally hit 50% winrate again :toot:

To celebrate I started playing LC again. Someone give me words on how to build her since I'm not really sure what path to take. Specifically:

Phase or treads? I prefer Phase since it leads to easier early duel victories and Moment of Courage is essentially double damage for an attack. Everyone else seems to go treads but I'm not sure what the justification is. Better for saving mana with her cheap spells and tread switching?

Should I grab armlet at all? If I do, when? I usually just go phase straight into blink but sometimes it feels like I don't have enough damage. Usually my team is present to secure the win though.

Are there items which specifically don't work in Duel? I was looking at Satanic, AC or Shiva's but I don't know if the auras/lifesteal would still work.

Is Basher worthwhile? I sometimes pick it up with the intention of grabbing Abyssal later but I don't know if it's worth leaving there.

T I A mates

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

KyloWinter posted:

What did you buy?

I had a super early Manta into Crystalys/Helm of the Dominator. Then I was saving up for Skadi but right when that started to happen our AM started to doomspeak and avoid team fights like it was the plague. Ended up using a huge chunk of my gold to buy back twice and never stabilized past those items.

I think in retrospect I shouldn't have straight rushed the Manta but I'm a sucker for melting towers.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So I got a question? Double Bloodstone on Leshrec after aghs staff, viable or not?

I tried it last night and was basically able to leave pulse nova on forever. Before you haters say I should have gotten a sheepstick I do regret not buying it. But I don't regret the 2nd bloodstone, I regret the Radiance.

Still, pretend in this game I DONT have unlimited gold. Second bloodstone for perma nova or sheepstick?

vvv ok, viable, good, but should I get sheepstick before second bloodstone or if I have enough disable on my team I don't need to worry about it?

Hell, even recommended items (which are ususally retarded) says 2nd bloodstone.

Philosopher King fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 7, 2014

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Doltos posted:

I had a super early Manta into Crystalys/Helm of the Dominator. Then I was saving up for Skadi but right when that started to happen our AM started to doomspeak and avoid team fights like it was the plague. Ended up using a huge chunk of my gold to buy back twice and never stabilized past those items.

I think in retrospect I shouldn't have straight rushed the Manta but I'm a sucker for melting towers.

Try BKB. Also try farming more.

Philosopher King posted:

So I got a question? Double Bloodstone on Leshrec after aghs staff, viable or not?

I tried it last night and was basically able to leave pulse nova on forever. Before you haters say I should have gotten a sheepstick I do regret not buying it. But I don't regret the 2nd bloodstone, I regret the Radiance.

Still, pretend in this game I DONT have unlimited gold. Second bloodstone for perma nova or sheepstick?

Ya dude totally viable.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Philosopher King posted:

I'd say Sheepstick is never bad.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Philosopher King posted:

vvv ok, viable, good, but should I get sheepstick before second bloodstone or if I have enough disable on my team I don't need to worry about it?

Sheepstick doesn't become actively worse if the enemy buys a BKB and kills you, I still think double bloodstone is an idiotic build on any hero compared to what you could get for the same price in a sheep

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Philosopher King posted:

gently caress it go rapier if you're going to clown hard

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

KyloWinter posted:

Try BKB. Also try farming more.

Oh I had a BKB, forgot about that. I should have farmed more when our AM raged out of fights but I didn't make that decision at the time. We were winning so hard that it seemed like the fights we were losing were just results of bad play instead of bad farm.

Also since it would help their lineup was Tinker - Drow - Phoenix - Mirana - Centaur

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Philosopher King posted:

Did you buy a Necronomicon? You should start building it on more heroes than Prophet and Lycan, this is my contribution. Surely you should consider items that otherwise make your mana go further like a Veil or an Eth blade or even a Dagon, I'm 99% sure this post is a troll but it's so inane I'm gonna roll the dice and seriously answer it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Doltos posted:

Oh I had a BKB, forgot about that. I should have farmed more when our AM raged out of fights but I didn't make that decision at the time. We were winning so hard that it seemed like the fights we were losing were just results of bad play instead of bad farm.

What was their team like, with both TB and Antimage I would think that you could basically each take a lane and shove it into their towers and force them to give up one of them. Have your team follow behind the TB smoked since he can't blink maybe and try to bait them into going on what looks like a split pushing TB. Even if they kill you AM can take another tower for it then.

If it was late game trying to break the base really a Skadi or a Heart is what you needed just to have enough beef to get in there without dying, or else slow seiging constantly with illusions.

There's a lot of factors, how did you die most of the time? Did they have a carry who farmed well? Were they split pushing you into making bad choices? Did they just lock you down after BKB was over?

Hard to say without knowing more exactly what you needed to do but that's my 2c on it at least

-edit- Against that team I'm guessing you lost because people kept getting picked off by arrows or blink initiates, their team seemed to have a much stronger initiation so I would have just tried to convince my team to go for a 5 man smoke and hopefully bait out Tinker. If nothing else just keep TP scrolls and go for a game ending push down one lane and hope Tinker tries to race you.

I feel like you have an advantage if you get the drop on a team like that but with arrow, centaur blink stomp and ult, mirana arrow etc. you need to basically get them before they can get you.

I'd be willing to wager the real problem with the game was that you had no real way of locking down an enemy who had a very slippery team, probably no hexes on the team and limited stuns. Whenever you tried to get to Drow Centaur ulted I'm sure and the only real fix to that is a hard stun and heavy focus fire.

Also if no one bought a gem or at the very least dust/sents for Mirana ult that is probably why you lost also. Gem would be ideal since you could at least see them using it offensively and I'm pretty sure TB illusions carry the truesight aura on them so you could scout effectively.

Scorps fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 7, 2014

• Locked thread