Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

what you refer to as a hip hop operating system is actually a GNU/hip hop operating system

GNU ft. Linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

Check out KDE Connect if you have an android phone while you are at it.

It's quite nice.

Can you use it to send texts (instead of just reply to them) yet? I remember liking it a lot a few years back but I thought that feature was a glaring omission.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

e-dt posted:

I installed pipewire on the recommendation of this thread and it is really great both architecturally and in allowing me to loving BLAST lovely music at my friends over discord while also talking to them. It really does work seamlessly as a drop-in replacement for pulseaudio.

Agreed, I use Pipewire as a drop-in Jack replacement and it pretty much immediately fixed all of my annoying audio issues when setting up a recording environment. Also I can now pretty easily take my guitar lessons (online since covid) without an amp, which is something I had a lot of trouble achieving on windows.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I know

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Arch linux has been working great for me since ~2015, and it's been much less annoying to janitor than my macbook and my windows desktop. I think it's only really "broken" once (and was easy to fix once I checked /r/archlinux), and it doesn't get in my way if I ever want to do something kinda complicated. Sorry if you've had a bad experience with it though OP :shrug:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Lady Radia posted:

hi ive missed ur c++ posts !!!

Thanks! I'm trying to spend less time online (including on SA), but I still lurk YOSPOS — I should catch up on the terrible programmer's thread and effortpost there more. I always loved that community.

Sapozhnik posted:

What sort of janitoring do you do on a Mac exactly

I mean unless you're doing any kind of software development, in which case apple absolutely hates you and wants you to suffer

It was the software development, of course. Also, my recollection is that things used to break for me when I'd update the OS, but nowadays I mostly use my linux laptop so it's a moot point. Also I think my macbook got EoL'd at some point.

The Wisest Moron posted:

I'm considering installing Arch Linux on an old beater laptop as a learning experience. Am I an idiot?

I definitely learned a bit from my initial arch set-up -- mostly it's not stuff that is useful day-to-day, but also the knowledge has helped me a few times. I say go for it!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

mystes posted:

You're a very generous grader

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I just use the grml zsh config with some light tweaks and it works pretty well and doesn't constantly bug me to update. Also the grml website makes me feel like I'm in the 90s again, which is nice.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Lady Radia posted:

okay my imposter syndrome is kicking in hard. without oh my zsh what is the actual difference between bash and zsh? do their scripts have different syntax ive never noticed? is it just autocomplete is better? help me out here

I think the syntax is slightly different in some edge cases, but that's not really why people use zsh. The key feature of zsh is better autocomplete, and it also has a few other niceties like suggesting corrections to mistyped commands. Oh-my-zsh is mostly a bunch of theming and a few nice defaults, but you can do all of that without oh-my-zsh if you want. The reason people like oh-my-zsh is that it's a pain to configure everything yourself, and just downloading something that will do all the configuration for you is easy. See also the fish shell, which has very nice defaults and easy configuration, although it is missing some nice bash/zsh features like !$.

(IIRC you can configure a hacky !$ with fish)

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

fd and ripgrep are both pretty nice, and one of the best parts is that they are not drop-in replacements. Instead, they often need less flags to do everyday stuff in my experience. Neither is revolutionary, but both are decent quality-of-life improvements over find / grep if you feel like learning a new (but similar) tool. It's cool that they are usually slightly faster than find / grep, too, but that's not really that important for most users.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I still get lots of issues with KDE with my multi monitor set-up, especially if I unplug one or plug it in while the laptop is closed. Apparently KDE needs to re-write a large part of their monitor handling stack to fix it, but it's expected that this will land in 5.27 (in ~4 months), and will fix most of the remaining issues with KDE and multiple monitors.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

As someone who knows basically nothing about graphical programming: why would Wayland block on rendering when the window isn't visible? Couldn't it just say to the program "yeah sure buddy I totally rendered that screen" but actually do nothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

Wayland finally makes Linux just about equal to Windows for most games, so of course my primary Wolfenstein/Doom modding tool is X11 only and is unusable under Wayland, so I have to do all my modding work on Windows

Which is to say Windows XP :cripes:

on a single-core AMD Athlon retro rig with 1.5 gigs of ram :eng99:

over the network to a Samba share on my real computer :shepicide:

Is this one of the odd applications that don't work under XWayland?