Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i am planning to switch my web server vps from ubuntu server, which it's been running since 2013, to centos, and upgrade it from 256mb to 512mb of ram. i'm also planning to switch from apache to nginx

what do i need to know about ubuntu -> centos other than my old os was a pos (moospos)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

this all seems overly complicated for something hosting a mostly static website with my photos on it and an irssi instance. maybe i'll just use debain

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

or: i'll configure it by hand because it's worked fine for years and i have no need to deploy my portfolio to a hundred load-balancing aws instances

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

quote:

Chef is a configuration management tool written in Ruby and Erlang. It uses a pure-Ruby, domain-specific language (DSL) for writing system configuration "recipes".

quote:

In computing, Puppet is an open source configuration management utility. It runs on many Unix-like systems as well as on Microsoft Windows, and includes its own declarative language to describe system configuration.

quote:

Ansible is an open-source software platform for configuring and managing computers. It combines multi-node software deployment, ad hoc task execution, and configuration management.[1] It manages nodes over SSH or PowerShell and requires Python (2.4 or later) [2] to be installed on them. Modules work over JSON and standard output and can be written in any programming language. The system uses YAML to express reusable descriptions of systems.

hm ya becuase that's what i, an art major, need for my $5.06/month web site: programming my own configuration management

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

it's not a static website (i'll be using a portfolio CMS called koken, switching from indexhibit after extracting my $30 worth of blood from that stone), but it looks like to use what you're suggesting I'd be spending more time than it takes working at my job to earn the website's yearly hosting cost.

"Hey I'm looking to upgrade from my old shitbox to a honda fit. What do I need to know"
"You need a dodge viper, idiot. If you can't afford one maybe you shouldn't be driving"

:iiaca:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"i want to operate a commercial beer distributor, do you think a honda fit will work?"

"i don't know guys i really think i can fit two tons of beer in a fit. i'm just an art major, you can't expect me to get a cdl to ship heavy products around"

"i want to move a chair from my dad's place. how do I keep it from scuffing the seats"
"you need to hire a teamster-operated truck. make sure you get to know the driver in case you need to use them in the future. it'll probably only cost $500-600"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

what you want is probably a wordpress.com account

all CMSes are poo poo, but at least with wordpress.com it won'probably won't get hacked

i've been dealing with wordpress since high school. i wish to be done with wordpress. especially attempting to do any sort of theme/extension management to turn it into a workable portfolio

and if it gets hacked, worst case scenario they turn my vps into a zombie for a little while until the hosting provider catches it, and i have to spend a little while fixing it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

configuration management? in my day we called those full disk backups

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

on your single host, you run puppet or chef locally
i dont

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if/when you have some enterprise-y needs down the line, )
i wont

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you don't know ruby you probably want to use puppet instead of chef. puppet is just as good, and in some ways better. most notably: you do not have to learn ruby

i use chef locally all the time, so i knew how to do it off the top of my head. i can't remember how to do it with puppet. never used puppet except for work, where it's all enterprisey and server-based

I tried to learn Python in high school and couldn't wrap my head around writing code in it, if that tells you anything.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i like lxde

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

on an irssi vm i might understand not bothering, seeing as there is nothing to configure, no services running, and nothing to maintain. set it to patch itself and you're done, right?

atomicthumbs wants to run a bigass cms thing on his vm. it's gonna be a configuration and maintenance hairball. that's what's gonna happen. cfg mgmt exists to help you unfuck yourself.

i'm not running django for my SEO business and online brand or something like that. i'm running koken. i don't understand what you think is going to be so difficult about this.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

celeron 300a posted:

Stick with ubuntu if it works for you, but if you really want to go CentOS then it's like other people have said - yum instead of apt-get. CentOS 7 also comes with systemd which also takes care of service starting/stopping... if you used tools like update-rc.d then that will change too.

CM (configuration management) is cool and all but unless your career is in computers (janitoring or otherwise) you don't need to learn it.

thank you for answering my original question :)

systemd is cool in my book

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

cfg mgmt isn't just about repeatability

it also expresses your intent clearly
it makes your configuration version controlled
it makes it easier to move your configuration to your new vm/vps in a year

it's a must-have.

configuration management doesn't have to be sophisticated. start small, start simple, and worry about the big/complicated stuff only when you need to.

my configuration version management is: revise it until it works, then don't touch it.

my strategy for moving to a new vm/vps after this is: don't

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

computer janitoring is the art and science of confronting inevitable failure. for some reason you have elected to join our despondent chorus, and yet at the same time you cannot embrace the horrible truth: your poo poo will break, and you will be on the hook to gently caress with it

tl;dr: you will HAVE to touch it and you will HAVE to move to a new vm/vps

thats weird i've been running indexhibit for two years and it's only broken when i've touched it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

"So what's the deal with Linux wifi?" - jary sinefield

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i have a Stupid Linux Question i was wondering if yall might be able to answer

I want to do two things:

1. keep using windows on my desktop, allowing for playing video james and poo poo but:
2. also run linux on it, so I can do GPGPU poo poo simultaneously/when I'm not playing video games

is there any way to do a passthrough thing with windows that I can turn off, or switch windows to intel graphics when I need the GPU for linux

basically just swap the graphics card between two running (or temporarily suspended) VMs

thank

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

With two GPU's it's possible to do this the other way around: https://wiki.debian.org/VGAPassthrough

Linux as the main, windows as the VM.

from what i read it's definitely possible to run linux on the intel as the main, with windows getting pci passthrough to the gpu

but i need to be able to switch 'em

alternate option: low-endish nvidia card for linux so I can run CUDA too

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

run your videogames on linux.

No

Shaggar posted:

do the gpgpu poo poo on windows

No

Mr Dog posted:

Not going to happen, GPUs are really stateful.

It's possible in principle if both OSes and the hypervisor supported GPU hotplugging but yeah not going to happen in practice.

I'm okay with shutting down whatever to switch/reinitialize gpu but it's looking like a secondary gpu will be the easiest way

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I run Windows not just for the video games, but because it's the industry standard operating system. Also I need to use Adobe products.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

sorry, industry standard for users

Cocoa Crispies posted:

have you tried the world's most advanced operating system, mac os x? you can get the entire adobe creative suite there, and it doesn't come with ads for candy crunch or a defective full-screen calculator app either

I've considered it, but apparently the sound won't work on my computer.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

apparently the HD Graphics 4600 thing attached to my 4790k does 60% as well as a Titan in certain OpenCL things. too bad 3/4ths of the useful poo poo seems to be CUDA

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

talos principle also happens to be the best game

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

what wrong with debain? why fedora good

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

bug report: selecting the fedora server minimum install, and instructing it to install "text-based web browsers", "editors", and other add-on packages, does not install any web browsers, editors, or add-on packages, leaving it useless when you have to have a web browser to auth the wifi you're using

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

OK no matter what media I try and how I tell it to install, fedora ends up installing a broken, less-than-minimal system with no network connectivity whatsoever and no apparent ability to get any.

there's no loving tracert, let alone any web browsers or anything approximating anything useful.

and I can't get it to install any of the packages it should've from the install media, because it can't synchronize the cache for the Fedora repo it can't reach because it won't let me install the packages I need to let it reach that repo

who the gently caress told me to use fedora

edit: I think maybe the problem is that dnf won't work at all if it can't connect to the repo, even if the packages are stored locally? so it just gives up and leaves a system without any packages?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I fixed it by authing my phone on the WiFi and turning on USB tethering for the computer so that the local installer could figure out that the concept of packages exists

2016 is the year of Linux on the desktop.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The_Franz posted:

the desktop images install just fine without a net connection

maybe don't download the minimal network install image when you need to jump through hoops to connect to the network?

I downloaded the 2gb "fedora server" image, not the net install image. I did this because all I needed was a text mode thing.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

and yeah the desktop image installs great if you love KDE or whatever

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I'm not running a dang server, and yeah I don't know what DE it uses because I stopped installing it when I saw it wouldn't let me do it without one.

I'm installing Linux for the sole reason of running some poo poo that needs Torch, and the fact that the package management system just completely shits the bed if it can't sync to a repo is hilarious.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ok i can see That Thing is happening where a linux user, angry because linux isn't working correctly, inspires anger in a linux defender, angry because the user must be doing something wrong.

I decided to shrink my Windows partition on my desktop computer by 15gb and install Linux. I need the Linux to do two things:
  • Support OpenCL on my AMD GPU so that I can run Torch and associated machine learning software that uses it.
  • Reverse SSH into my VPS so I can also use said software while I'm not sitting in front of it.

I use reverse SSH, in this case, because I live in a dorm and use the dorm wifi. I have no wired network option (and believe me I'd loving like one).

I've used Debian and various derivatives since the mid-2000s, but I've read about people using Fedora lately (especially in this thread). I asked what I should use and people said Fedora.

I downloaded the Fedora Workstation image and booted it. It worked well, but offered no ability to select how I wanted to install it, and I'm not a big fan of GNOME (and didn't recognize it as such; I haven't used a desktop computer with linux since Kubuntu with KDE3, which worked great when I had a Pentium 3 laptop with 64mb of ram) and didn't really need a desktop environment anyway, so I downloaded the Fedora Server image.

The dorm wifi needs a username and password put in to authorize its users, because it's stupid. It redirects the first web page loaded so the only way to get internet access is to use a web browser.

"Hmm, that'll be fine, I'm installing from local media anyway," I thought.

Except no matter how I instructed the installer to install it (I tried with various permutations of "minimal install" and "Fedora Server"), I ended up with a system with no packages installed, and DNF spat out an error whenever I tried to use it about not being able to synchronize the package cache with the Fedora repo. The packages were there on the drive, but DNF refused to install them from the files, too, because it didn't have internet access to synchronize with the repo.

Eventually I managed to get it working by connecting to the wifi through my phone. I realized that it would be a bit of a pain in the rear end to try to cope with this poo poo without a desktop environment, so I used the newly expanded and internet-connected list to install it with LXQt.

It worked fine until I tried to install the Linux drivers for my video card from AMD's website, following their instructions, and after a reboot it no longer boots in normal or recovery mode, so the point is moot.

i'm thinking of installing debian

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Maximum Leader posted:

youre goign to have a lot of trouble with getting wifi running without a gui

believe me I tried Arch for a little while once on a testing laptop for interfacing with old computer poo poo and I loving know

(that's the main reason I installed LXQt)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lightweight desktops are also dumb as poo poo for a user like you, atomicthumbs.

you don't know what you're doing, but all of the slickly integrated poo poo you find in kde and gnome will be missing. so there won't be a network configuration ui. or a printer configuration ui. (or, if these things are present, they will be broken.)

you have set yourself up for failure:
- unsupportable hardware
- dumbass "lightweight" desktop with none of the features you require
- installing from the "netinstall" without a network available

Not quite sure where you're coming from other than failing to read my posts (which is entirely understandable, considering my posting). I've been maintaining a VPS for quite a few years and have been using Linux without a desktop environment longer than I ever did with it. The only reason I installed one at all is to have an easier time setting up the WiFi, and to be able to use Chrome instead of using my laptop to browse the web or using w3m. also copying and pasting between terminal emulators is pretty nice too.

tl;dr:
  • that one is entirely on me and I'm wishing I had gone for one of those $80 xeon phis when they went on sale. I do have an older Nvidia card here and am considering installing it just for Linux if AMD continues to be a pain
  • the only reason I installed a DE at all is so I can set up WiFi, use a web browser, and use a tabbed terminal emulator
  • I explicitly said I used the non-netinstall image which is two gigabytes compared to the netinstall's 450-something mb

now I'm mad about linuxes. Look what you've done

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I am finding it really puzzling how y'all are contorting yourselves into defending an offline install process that doesn't work offline because of a bug.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

seriously if not for the installation thing I'd be posting here complaining about AMD drivers. I'm happy with fedora except for the installation bug.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Why didn't you use Cent for a server?

because it's not a server and I enjoy having newish packages. CentOS is going on my VPS when I upgrade it though.

Mr Dog posted:

Delete what you installed, start again, install GNOME. Use GNOME Shell's menus to connect to your wifi. Use Firefox or whatever web browser it comes with to interact with your captive portal.

why the gently caress would I do that, LXQt already works fine and I already used it for that

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

quote:

me: "haha this installation process has an obnoxious bug, but I managed to get past it in a funny way, linux amirite guys?"

linux throd: "it doesn't work that way on MY machine, what the gently caress are you doing, why are you using [thing I'm not using], if you can't figure out how to use [thing I already know how to use] you're an idiot just uninstall it and install [other thing that I don't need], all your problems [only one problem] are your fault for using [thing I was told would be good to use and which, in fact, works quite well barring one minor already-fixed problem]"

:psypop:

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 26, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i'm not sure whether i'd blame anaconda or dnf but now that i'm thinking about it, but when it was giving me categories like "editors" and "administration utilities" it was just giving me the option to install an entire package category's worth of packages at once during the installation, wasn't it.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 26, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

:cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

"hmm, i want my computer to be able to do anything."

runs sudo apt-get install *