Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

pseudorandom name posted:

well, that's one way to disassociate your brand from Trump and neckbearded manchildren

At the recent Red Hat conference they were handing out Red Hat ballcaps that were every color of the rainbow except red. Weezer played the conference party and Rivers Cuomo asked the audience why all the caps weren't red. Awkward laughter...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

freeasinbeer posted:

they bought coreos and the plan is to replace coreos with atomic.

other way around. ContainerLinux is becoming Fedora CoreOS, and that'll be the upstream to Red Hat CoreOS, which will be the immutable host OS for OpenShift. Atomic is essentially being sunset.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/chaosaffe/status/1057242446407589888/photo/1

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

Kamrat posted:

I see, I never really bothered with the systemd discussion, it's just whenever it came up people started going off on it so I just assumed it was universally hated.

evergreen
https://twitter.com/kelseyhightower/status/567488210897350656

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

PCjr sidecar posted:

puppet, but the entire os

a solution in search of a problem

pretty much. Server environments are all about cattle not pets, so there's not much value in tech for maintaining long-lived servers (even bare metal ones). Just nuke and reinstall Linux everytime. :pt:

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

Rufus Ping posted:

Lol what kind of metaphor is this

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/LAM_Barrett/status/1173751694485860352

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
podman is CLI-parameter compatible with docker and uses cgroups v2, so you can just switch to that.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
You can't use openshift 4.x? It's significantly improved over 3.11.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
I got used to hjkl so much that for a long time I used asdf in FPSs, till I got sick of having to rebind keys every time I got a new game.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
There's a split right now between K8s's declarative deployment interface, vs traditional procedural "install package + configure" deployment. It would be nice to use the declarative style on single nodes (without the full weight of k8s), and it seems that there's various efforts to move in that direction.

It's not so much "upgrade to kubernetes", as it is "upgrade to declarative deployments" (using a similar API to k8s that would come standard with node's OS), and then if you need multi-node it becomes a very short hop to "upgrade to kubernetes".

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
That's right. I guess my point was that I want that kind of declarative interface to be the "built-in" way of deploying. In the same way that once you pick your OS, the default built-in procedural tools are (say) dnf + systemd, I want distros to have some built-in declarative installation tools, leveraging containers and the k8s-style declarations. Basically, if k3s was installed by default.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm also not seeing the containers I make for Podman in Cockpit in the CLI version of Podman. The list flag to the Podman command just doesn't return anything. Are they somehow running two instances of Podman that aren't talking to each other?
Podman is rootless, so it's just a regular user process and so pods launched by user X are not visible by podman running as user Y. If your CLI tools & Cockpit are running under different users, they're completely separate.

This has a minor downside/gotcha, in that container storage is also per-user. So if user X & Y both "podman pull ..." the same container, it's stored twice in separate directories from what I can tell.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

Gentle Autist posted:

ever heard of encryption precious

mystes posted:

What are you responding to?

Nasty hobbittses?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HonestSmartBuffalo-mobile.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
nah they'll just get owned in the supply chain and inject something into the product's browser extension that transmits all your secrets to North Korea once you've opened your vault.