Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Starfury posted:

Hm, so Ukrainian protesters in Kiev could occupy government buildings, but Ukrainian protesters in Kharkov can't do absolutely the same thing. Interesting. NYTimes also noted this.

Lucky they weren't destroyed for inciting treason and inviting armed conflict to the nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

DrProsek posted:

You steal Russian clay, you are worst brit usa :argh:

That's a lot of spies. Where can I acquire this Russian clay, sounds high quality and likely their main export?

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 9, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Germany's teflon economy being knocked down a peg or two? Impossible!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Alex Salmond, the leader of the Scottish regime, made recent comments and they are troubling. The world doesn't need another Kremlin lapdog.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Alex Salmond, leader of the separatist Scottish National Party, has recently spoken in favor of Putin and Russia, and has vowed to carry out a "referendum" this September on independence from the UK.

Vote no. Vote against Putin.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ukraine should embrace war industry to solve their economic issues.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Guardian is Putinist swill.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

A Pale Horse posted:

As an aside the whole austerity=evil thing is loving pathetic and increasingly funny as its becoming obvious that austerity is working. I read an article the other day that says that Portugal's economy is actually recovering nicely and has a positive growth trend since austerity was implemented.

Stop trying to get your digs in at leftists, you come off looking like a god drat fool. Stick to your nationalist diatribes.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

I just want to know what's happening in Ukraine, or at least have feeds from different sources regarding what's going on, but goddamn is it hard wading through some stretches of this thread. :smith:

You can follow Reddit, which has thoroughly been poo poo up by the exact same argument about the fire being set, except over there it's dogma Ukrainians started the fire, and murdered the Russians in cold blood, the well is pretty hosed everywhere.

Only Putin's full on invasion is going to change the narrative over there.

You're better off reading this thread.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I know it's Forbes, but has this been mentioned in any non-English sources?

Russians would never buy it. Crimea overwhelmingly voted to join the Russian Federation, now drop the subject and accept the map change, Google already has!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Kremlin has been vote-assaulting /r/worldnews for a day or so now.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Odessa will be on the lips of every Russian soldier soon.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I'm just glad WWE is Russia-troll baiting because it appears most Americans are definitely ready to tango.

A real adversary for a change.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

When will Kiev hold elections to ditch the interim government? Because it really is awful.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Didn't Ukraine's far-right get curbstomped in this last week's election, though?

Not only curbstomped, they're irrelevant, because not even war-mongering orange revolution corrupt gently caress lady had a decent showing.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Russia must be forced to bend the knee.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

RZApublican posted:

I give them two years before Crimea goes back to Ukraine.

It will definitely return to Ukraine, and Russiaphiles are delusional if they think the 21st century is Russia's.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

So when do we take back Crimea from Putin? I'm ready now.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fojar38 posted:

We call that the "deer in headlights" reaction.

Can only hope history will remember it as the deer in headlights for him as well.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

So you are saying they definitely will try again?

Yes they will. They would be foolish not to, it riles up the base, touches on the old soviet menace and take the news off Israel's poo poo.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Volkerball posted:

I didn't compare it to the Pet Goat thing and I wasn't defending that comparison. I'm just saying that as a mainly liberal American, Obama's first address on this incident was 40 seconds of deflecting bullshit that avoided condemning Russia for not just this attack, but the entire crisis that they have created that led to this incident, and it pissed me off. We'll see how it moves forward from here, but tell the families of the (presumably) 23 Americans who were killed in that flight that they should be satisfied with that.

They will be because the President doesn't have magic powers to spawn Putin before him and paddle his behind.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Apparently there was a video of separatists claiming responsibility, but it was a bragging video, and then took the video down once they realized it was airliner.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Vernii posted:

At this point who gives a poo poo what the Russians think? This is their mess, they don't get the right to bitch about it when we decide to finally clean up their poo poo.

Second, provocative acts can be a good thing. Clearly playing nice isn't loving working, so perhaps we need to use actions that the Russians will clearly understand.

They are an ancient empire, Ukraine is not.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

I don't think Nonsense was completely serious dude.

Yeah and to be fair I pretty much demanded Russia pay from the start of this mess, so I've not been one of Russia's dogs.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Highly rated NY Daily News comment concerning a story on Obama's response to Russia:

"Clinton disarmed Ukraine.....with the understanding that that Europe and the US would protect them.....Obama reaffirmed it in '09".

This didn't happen at all correct?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Did the Kremlin's dogs seriously steal the blackbox? poo poo heads.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Theory unsupported by any evidence: Russia handed over a surplus obsolete unit that unfortunately had the "It's civilian, you moron" light bulb broken.

I've also been seeing simultaneous assertions that the person who shot down this plane was a drunken rag tag rebel, or was a coherent, proficient soldier in surface-to-air warfare, and now I don't know what to think.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Credit to The Droid:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Russian separatists should feel lucky being mocked and not a smoldering crater.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Is this how LF was???

Anybody causing problems and being a shithead in general, was told to get out and they would listen being the key difference.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Russians intentionally drove the BuK in place so Russia's also got definite role.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

:wtc: does snog mean?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hollande is incredibly unpopular. He will simply continue to do the wrong things.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Agrajag posted:

Someone tell these dorks to stop using some stupid as gently caress filter for their photos.

People will know it was the early 21st century because of that filter.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

Photos from the pro-war rally in Moscow that gathered around 1000-1500 people

MURDERERS OF THE RUSSIAN AND UKRAINIAN CHILDREN:
KOLOMOISKY
WALTZMANN (fringe propaganda insists that it is the real last name of Petr Poroshenko, #antifascism, amirite?)
GROISMANN
YATZENUK

"this is going on the first train to Donetzk, honest"

Papa Dugin

/////

Popular non-fiction, bottom right in the second picture is "End the Fed" by Ron Paul :evil:

and literature :freep:

LIEUTNANT FROM THE FUTURE (this is Minister of Defense Sergei Shoigu capturing Yatsenuk and Turchinov)

UKRAINE IN BLOOD: BANDERIAN GENOCIDE

RED STARS OVER MAIDAN

WILD FIELD 2017: ON THE RUINS OF UKRAINE

expectations/reality

Russia is a powder-keg.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Not really. It's like looking at Tea Party or EDL meetings and say the same about US or UK.

No not really Tea Party groups aren't shooting down loving airliners.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Russia is taking the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine seriously lately haven't they? It seems natural the correct response is to have an army storm Kiev to bring peace, land, and bread.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

They've adopted the symbol of PRIMORDIAL TRUTH & Will destroy the Imperium of Ukraine.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dolash posted:

I don't know, I think archaeo is providing a good case for why the Kremlin should be turned into ashes.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I've seriously doubted they're even 'Ukrainian' in origin. They're Russians citizens through and through.

• Locked thread