Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
That's a 90 year oil cooler, I'd put a setrab under the driver's side headlight and shorten up the lines, but I understand if you don't want to bother with making more AN Lines.

Easy way to check for ABS is if there's a wire going to the hub. ABS units are around the driver's headlight as well. It's not worth it to add ABS to these cars unless you're going to be running some big money Bosch system (EG Bosch M4, and at that point you should've spent more money on driving coaching/brake balancing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Octopus Magic posted:

That's a 90 year oil cooler, I'd put a setrab under the driver's side headlight and shorten up the lines, but I understand if you don't want to bother with making more AN Lines.

Easy way to check for ABS is if there's a wire going to the hub. ABS units are around the driver's headlight as well. It's not worth it to add ABS to these cars unless you're going to be running some big money Bosch system (EG Bosch M4, and at that point you should've spent more money on driving coaching/brake balancing.

My guess is it's an artifact from the 6-bolt that's in the car, the engine that's going in to it has the integrated one so I'll probably just pull this one and not deal with it (for now).

Yeah, I probably won't bother if it's not in there, it's just another "damnit, here's an option that was on the old car that's not on this one" kind of thing.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
I'm pretty sure ABS was standard on the 95s. The ABS system in in the driver side fender well. You should be able to see all the lines looking around the dryer.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

The weenie water/oil cooler is way worse than the external oil cooler and barely does anything. I'd see what you could do to integrating one.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Octopus Magic posted:

The weenie water/oil cooler is way worse than the external oil cooler and barely does anything. I'd see what you could do to integrating one.

True, but he's not racing the car or doing anything to really require it. Just do whatever is easier I'd say.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Larrymer posted:

True, but he's not racing the car or doing anything to really require it. Just do whatever is easier I'd say.

Yeah, the current setup I have in the '97 works just fine, so I'll probably just leave it that way for now.

Once I (in theory) rebuild the 6-bolt and get to the point where I can install the 16G though,...

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

th vwls hv scpd posted:

I'm pretty sure ABS was standard on the 95s. The ABS system in in the driver side fender well. You should be able to see all the lines looking around the dryer.

That's where I was getting confused; on my '97 there's a hole there where you can see the ABS unit from the top of the car, the '95 doesn't have that. If it's tucked underneath or something maybe I'll see it when I pull the bumper off.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Absolutely no updates; I got myself a somewhat nasty cold and haven't been able to get jack or poo poo done because of it.

Hoping I'll be feeling better soon so I can start working on the cars again.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
you can't spell DSM without 'intervention.'

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

A lack of an engine hoist, jacks being lovely, and the onset of rain prevented us from getting much done today, but we DID manage to get the trunk lids swapped.

Looks like an alignment issue on driver's side, is this common?

At least it's changed over, and the paint is once again a perfect match.

Hoping to get a hold of the hoist and a better jack this week, and then should be in the home stretch. I'm thinking on picking up the larger brake booster and such, it's much easier (not loving impossible) to install with the engine out, and it looks like it doesn't negatively impact pedal feel. And it's a pretty necessary upgrade when moving to Lancer brakes.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Also discovered that my A/C system has no pressure at this point, so the condenser is definitely hosed.

Looks like I might be able to get one cheap from Performance Radiator, we'll see.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Helping out today and I noticed a few things, such as this axle support that just wasn't really doing anything:

And this hand twisted spliced zip tied ground wire to the oil filter.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Lining body panels up is a pain in the rear end. You'll probably have to adjust stops and hinges a bunch to get rid of the gap on the drivers side. You may even need to do a little 'manual adjustment' i.e. twisting the lid with brute force because it may have gotten tweaked when your car got hit.

EDIT: This is my favorite project thread btw. I really don't care much about DSMs but taking two broken cars to make one good car is my favorite thing to watch for some reason.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 1, 2014

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
HE WENT AWAY OKAY EVERYBODY POSE ON THE MOTOR TIME

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I hate you.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Someone needs a new Avatar.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

'95 is officially ready to pull the motor!

Well, need to pull the driveshaft and the axles, but everything else is removed and cleared.

The engine bay harness in the '95 is,.... Not so great. So I'll definitely be pulling the harness out of the '97 and using it instead.

Over the next week I think I'm going to pull the dash out, I want to validate if there's been any fuckery with the wiring behind there and decide if I need to replace that wiring with the harness from the '97. Besides, I want to convert the lighting over, and see about gluing the airbag cover down since it's peeling up a bit.

Sent a message to the PO about the age of the transmission, that combined with actually looking at condition should tell me whether or not I should spend money on new seals.

I'm realizing I'm going to have to pull the clutch/flywheel to replace the rear main seal, not sure I want to go through that. Again, will look at the condition of the seal and replace if it's looking old/chewed, if not I'll wait on that until it's time to replace the clutch.

MikeyTsi fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 2, 2014

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

I'm realizing I'm going to have to pull the clutch/flywheel to replace the rear main seal, not sure I want to go through that. Again, will look at the condition of the seal and replace if it's looking old/chewed, if not I'll wait on that until it's time to replace the clutch.

This isn't hard (15 bolts?), just get 13" to put the seal in so you don't gently caress it up. There's not going to be a better time to replace it.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Larrymer posted:

This isn't hard (15 bolts?), just get 13" to put the seal in so you don't gently caress it up. There's not going to be a better time to replace it.

It's reinstalling/aligning the clutch (I don't have the alignment tool), and the other bullshit.

Like I said, I'm going to look at it. If it appears to be in okay shape I'll replace it when I do the next clutch job. If not, I'll bite the bullet, put on my big boy pants, and deal with it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
wait i thought we were gonna take off the big boy pants

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

MikeyTsi posted:

It's reinstalling/aligning the clutch (I don't have the alignment tool), and the other bullshit.

I don't remember the last time I owned a clutch tool.
I usually make something with assorted sockets, extensions, and maybe some electric tape.

You're going to hate yourself if it ends up leaking and ruining your clutch. Or driveway (like my loving lovely leaky Volvo wagon).

I've always wanted a gsx, and since I'm not allowed to buy anything new, I will continue to live vicariously through you.

(13" you keep rocking on dude!)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Go to the parts store and get an alignment tool or ask some dude to ship you one for $5 off the dsm forums. OOOOOOOOOOR buy a clutch kit, use the tool, then return the clutch. I think you're making it out to be a lot bigger deal than it is.

I will stop reading this thread when 13" takes off your big boy pants. :gay:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

http://www.advancedclutch.com/at20 5 bucks. No excuses.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
5 minutes, $0, no excuses

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I sent Lucas an e-mail, he probably has a bunch of them lying around and may very well send one up to me for shipping cost.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Terrible Robot posted:

5 minutes, $0, no excuses

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

"CraftsMAN"

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Between that and the 13" pin-up spread a few posts up, this is the best page in AI right now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

daslog posted:

Someone needs a new Avatar.

Ask and ye shall receive. :haw:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

MikeyTsi posted:

I pulled that loving wing off of the car, and it's now sitting in the trunk. Were you serious about wanting it?

DJ Commie posted:

Yeah, I'm sure I can put it on a LeMons car or something, DOWNFARCE!

What did you want for it?

13 INCH DICK posted:

One full contact lap dance

:giggity:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Also willing to accept payment in bitcoin

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

13 INCH DICK posted:

Also willing to accept payment in bitcoin

I think you mean "buttcoin".

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I will pay a single unit of buttcoin.

Does it come apart enough to pack flat?

edit: I may or may not send you any DSM parts I had left over from my 92 Laser RS

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

I will pay a single unit of buttcoin.

Does it come apart enough to pack flat?

edit: I may or may not send you any DSM parts I had left over from my 92 Laser RS

I'm not certain, I was going to take a look at it in the next day or few to see if the posts are easy to remove from the wing or not.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

PO keeps trying to talk me in to selling him the 16G on the car.

On one hand:
Apparently it's an "eBay turbo" which makes it unlikely I'm going to want to use it.
I could use a few extra bucks

On the other:
I know he's just going to loving put it on his car with the stock fueling system, and he's already hosed up the cylinder head on it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So what's your problem then?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

PO keeps trying to talk me in to selling him the 16G on the car.

On one hand:
Apparently it's an "eBay turbo" which makes it unlikely I'm going to want to use it.
I could use a few extra bucks

On the other:
I know he's just going to loving put it on his car with the stock fueling system, and he's already hosed up the cylinder head on it.

DSMers. :allears:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

They don't call DSM's the Japanese Trans Am without reason. :sigh:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

13 INCH DICK posted:

So what's your problem then?

I don't want to feel like I'm contributing to someone ruining what is at present a pretty nice car in good condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Random
Oct 22, 2010
Trust me he's ruining it with or without your help. Its a good excuse to get rid of it.

• Locked thread