Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

canada jezus posted:

I've got a pss though. I hope my spirit needs will be fixed once i beg/steal an uru and put lunar eclipse on it. (currently i've got bonebreaker).

If you need an Uru I or someone else could hook you up for sure. Getting runes for Lunar is something different though...

Also pretty much the standard is Hela blessings for deeps, Fandaral (sp?) for defense (I think it also adds some minor crit, but you're mainly after the dodge which iirc doesn't get the same diminishing returns stacking dodge rating does). I remember a bunch of tests being run previously showing that in some cases Odin was slightly better against bosses but worse against everything else for damage than Hela (and I think that fell off the more brutal rating you got). I don't think it's reliable enough personally to worry about using it for the spirit ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Also here's my MK post from awhile ago:
Moon Knight
EDIT: Recent changes did little to the actual build, but now MK does a ton more damage.
{tldr edition:
Max Gruesome Frenzy, Cestus Gauntlet Punch, Truncheon Ricochet, Fist of Khonshu, Carbonadium Armor, Explosive Crescent Dart. 1 in Statue of Khonshu, Multiple Personalities, Moon Staff, Avatar of Vengeance, Khonshu Unbound, dump rest in Tripwire Bolas. Here's what I'm running (no points in Multiple since I have the unique that grants it)
http://marvelbase.com/builds/generator/moon-knight#vv222vK2Kv2MAM2KvvKv/0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0

Artifacts are Idol of Khonshu + whatever 3 phys/general damage things you want. His uniques are fine, legendary is Gungir, runeword is Viking Gladiator. Insig is O'Grady. Relic is Lemuria. Costume is crit dmg rating with either black smoke for his base or Flames on secret avengers}

Moon Knight is an extremely durable melee/ranged hybrid hero, with built-in mechanics that allow him to not only excel but get stronger at lower health levels. Moon Knight also has the ability to put out extremely high single-target damage. His kit isn't quite as effective at AoE, with his big AoE abilities being largely inefficient, small area, and/or unreliable but he's not entirely without tools. This build will focus mainly on his melee abilities (which is where most of his high damage potential comes from), with a couple ranged abilities sprinkled in to give some AoE ability for clearing trash and to add some utility.

Skillz
Max skills:
Cestus Gauntlet Punch-single target melee spirit spender, hits super-hard

Truncheon Ricochet-ranged attack that bounces, also adds significant DR to your next melee attack. This will clear most trash throughout the game, and only falls off as an AoE ability in Cosmics/later Xdef levels.

Fist of Khonshu-amazing passive; crit/brutal chance, DR against dudes attacking you, and a chance to proc a cower when you hit a brutal (note-you should be hitting brutal strikes a lot)

Carbonadium Armor-Another amazing passive, this one for defense. Has similar reduced damage at lower health levels thing as GR/Punisher, with the addition of a block chance that reduces damage.

Gruesome Frenzy-signature power. lots of little hits which, if they all connect will then deal a much stronger finishing blow that also has the execute ability found on other attacks (bonus damage based on target's missing HP). This is what you can see brutal for 1mil+. If you're not comfortable running without a maxed basic power, this can be cut to 1 point in favor of maxing Spiked Gauntlets (although I believe he can play just fine without one). I'd choose Spiked over his other melee basic (which I'll discuss later) simply because if you're running one at max, you'll be using it more as part of your regular rotation, and Spiked is greater of the two for damage. This is mandatory do not cut this. If you really want a basic maxed cut one of your ranged abilities. This does so much freaking damage now good grief. Brutal for 1mil+? Maybe at lvl 30.

You can then pick 1 of the following:
Explosive Crescent Dart
Tripwire Bolas

I prefer Explosive. It hits it's main target for moderate damage, while exploding in an area for lesser damage. It also applies vulnerability. Tripwire Bolas is a small AoE snare/DoT effect which is also valuable due to constantly triggering Khonshu procs (Truncheon can also do the same if there's multiple enemies to bounce to, but it's nice to have the constant). Another consideration is the fact that Dart can function as a spirit dump at range when you need to heal/there's 20 different overlapping AoE damage fields at the base of whatever boss you're fighting; Bolas however will allow you to put up more passive damage as you can lead with it and have it tick for 4 seconds while punching some chump in the face. edit-after more testing, I think Bolas is an equal choice and it's pretty much entirely preference. Bolas is better for single target damage, Explosive is better for masses.

One point skills:
Statue of Khonshu-Drops a big statue that gives bonus damage as well as health and spirit on hit in an AoE. Doesn't scale well, and has a longish CD while also being able to be killed by enemies so 1 is all it needs.

Multiple Personalities-Gives a revive (buggy as all the others), +credits on drop, and 10% SiF. scales bad, but a great value point. (note-if you use his slot 3 unique, you won't need this point)

Khonshu Unbound-CC break. Also has some minor +light radius or something, idk. Use it for the CC break.

gift of choice (ideally Tools of Vengeance while leveling, Avatar of Vengeance late)-"Gift" is the category for these two powers, and they're mutually exclusive. They both have the same passive bonus of bonus DR when low on spirit, and bonus CR/CDR at low health. Tools drops you to 0 spirit but gives 8 seconds of free powers. Avatar drops you to 1 health, but makes you unable to die(?-I've not tested this on rhino/jugg charges) for 8 seconds, after which it heals you for .3% of the damage you dealt during the period. I've noticed some...odd behavior from this power though. Tools is better early because you likely won't have the damage output to make the life restore useful. The passive effect doesn't scale all that well, so 1 point base is good. Gear should give you some extra anyways.

Moon Staff-The other melee basic, this restores spirit on hit. 1 point for the times you're empty in spirit to keep some damage up while waiting to get enough to use a real attack.

Whichever of these you didn't max:
Explosive Crescent Dart
Tripwire Bolas

Extra points should also be dumped here.

MK has two melee AoE abilities, but I find both to be lackluster. Nunchuku has a tiny AoE which lets you run around while channeling it, whereas Staff Spin has a larger-but-still-not-that-good AoE but locks you in place while using it. If you're dead set on some AoE ability that's not Ricochet and Dart, you could drop Gruesome to 1 point (but I seriously don't recommend it).

Gear

I won't go too in-depth here, but his powers are entirely physical, with the vast majority also being fighting and your main damage abilities being melee as well.

Artifacts-Given the above, the usual suspects (ACCoC, AMA, AKung-Fu, HoD, GoK) all are good. Of special note is the Idol of Khonshu which I believe is near mandatory if you're running melee. Since Truncheon has a similar effect that you'll want to be using regardless, getting the bonus damage from Idol should be almost constant making it extremely attractive.

Runeword/Uru-His slot 5 is a damage item, so I'd recommend using the +800 def Uru. If you want damage go for physical so you'll get a boost on your truncheon and ranged attack of choice. For runeword you have a lot of choices: Lunar Eclipse (more defense and some spirit maintenance) and Bonebreaker (damage) are more budget-conscious choices. Viking Gladiator or Bowazon if you're feeling extravagant.

Uniques & gear slots: MK has solid uniques. His slot 1&3 are especially good. His chestpiece is also great because it allows you max out Carbonadium fairly easy. His boots are meh, and his slot 5 is more focused on ranged builds but is decent unless you find some amazing cosmic. I believe Foostigons would be his ideal boot slot. Enchants should be Stone (+phys) on slot 1&5, and Cattle (+health) on 2-4.

Legendary-Gungir most likely, depending on your other gear choices a case could be made for Excalibur.

Costume affixes & core-Affixes should be health if you want more defense, crit damage if you want offense. For core, I favor +fighting (6->7 is huge) and 25% health/spirit on medkit. If you want more defense, the +fighting could be health, or even invuln on medkit (although I personally don't like the double-medkit cores). I don't think he particularly needs LL but it's definitely welcome as he naturally does a fair job mitigating damage so staying topped up is a good idea.

Medallion-Magneto helps a lot for keeping spirit costs down to support a heavy non-basic approach (you can easily hit -30% costs with that and his slot 3 unique). Hydra is also good in general, or Tombstone if you could find a lvl 60.

Insignia-O'Grady. DumDum is also nice if you can get a decent one. Stats are same as for everyone-health if you want more defense, otherwise try to get DR/CDR/CR in roughly that order.

Special low-health note: Due to his mechanics, he can also take advantage of low-health triggers (Extremis Serum, Last Chance boots, etc). He does gain some natural advantage from those due to his passive portion of gift. However, he can't make use of the Penance insig so that should be considered.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 29, 2014

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

PoultryHammock posted:

As in cosmic bosses? Because anyone with a well geared Cage, and a decent build with a max Dempsey Roll can do that on Reds and below. Last time I checked Tasker was still having to port away->heal->back to boss like any other heavy melee'er.

The other thing is I believe he's focusing on Hero's Call, and I don't think the summons focus anyone in particular (or I've always seen them run all over) so any boss with adds will cut down your damage. But yeah, Cage's problem has never been boss damage, Dempsey just shreds them and both savage and crowbar are great single target.

That being said, the odd disdain for "min maxing" is just bizarre. Like, lots of people want to know what is most effective, or whatever and he's putting in work on that. And it should be common sense that if you're not able to get his same results, you shouldn't run his builds or w/e.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 29, 2014

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

SMP posted:

Just from a personal taste point of view, I'm interested in Thor, Rocket Raccoon and Ghost Rider. From the sounds of the OP though it doesn't sound like they're that great. Nightcrawler sounds pretty sweet though.

No idea about Rocket Raccoon. Thor is considered fairly weak end-game but he (like essentially everyone) is playable just fine, if a bit slower than some of the others mentioned. Ghost Rider is actually pretty decent-super durable and does decent damage. I think his visual effects are pretty nice as well. I've enjoyed playing him and haven't found him noticeably weaker than the other dudes at least early-mid levels (where I have him now). Honestly I find him a lot better than Nightcrawler through those periods, who can have lots of trouble staying alive early in my experience.

StarkRavingMad posted:

His Cage build is a perfect example to me. I think trying to play Cage in any practical sense without Cage Was Here would drive me loving insane. But if all you care about is Boss TTK it makes perfect sense. It's not just min-maxing, it's min-maxing toward a singular objective that isn't necessarily the most important thing in the game.
I don't know if he explains it in the thread where he's maxing Hero's Call after it's buff, but I know previously he discussed it and essentially his argument was because Cage's AoE is kinda lame, he didn't bother putting points there in favor of maximizing the stuff he was good at. He said he just ran around punch/dempsey on dudes. It's not so much a fact he's only focused on boss kills, but that Cage doesn't have a solid AoE option.

And I've swapped out of Cage Was Here for cosmics-standing still to charge an AoE that's still not all that good isn't the best idea IMO, especially since his projectile reflect got nerfed. Cold Sholder to me is far superior just because you can stay mobile, which is very important for melee heroes late.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Mahasamatman posted:

How's he surviving for you? I want a melee who can comfortably do cosmic kurse terminal.

Moon Knight and Nightcrawler both can handle Kurse.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

NotALizardman posted:

Edit: I guess they specifically didn't understand why you're using Excalibur instead of Gungir or whatever.

Gungir is slightly more damage at the loss of a lot of durability. The life on hit is doubly good due to being able to drop AoE fields and stealth to heal up while your fields do damage.

Cease to Hope posted:

Always O'Grady, Valkyrie, or Groot.
Why Groot? Even if you assume you'll always have baby Groot uptime for you and your party, having some random dudes running around hitting that AIM turret that popped up from a barrel or w/e when you're trying to burn down a boss isn't really helping your DPS. I mean if you're trying to get boss dummy times maxed sure, but I've always been hesitant to consider summons like that as pure damage buffs.

Also, do O'Grady auras stack? Cause if not having multiple in a party would really make them underperform vs. other options.

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

If you BP players are using a 'movement' tagged ability often to deal damage you should consider equipping an Advanced Bannertech Accelerator.

I'll gladly make you one for free if you just ask in SG chat, so long as my funding holds out anyways.
I may take you up on that. I'm actually thinking of running a build on BP more like the one Eckertmania (give me a reason to use one of my cosmic Electra medalllions). How do you get that recipe anyways? Is it a drop from cards or something?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Ronco Showtime posted:

I really don't understand why everyone thinks Wrath of Bast is a bad sig. It's good, and looks cool! 20 second CD! And soon to have an awesome buff and better tags!

Yeah it's no Unyielding Power but if you stack any skill against that it's going to look lovely. Loki kinda fucks up the whole paradigm of balancing signature powers because its better than the Ults of at least half the heroes out there.

This is my thought as well. Although it kinda pales in comparison to One Off as well which also has a fairly short CD. But firing it off every 20 seconds is pretty strong, and depending on how much they buff up the damage/damage buff portion I may try to fit that in as maxed.

Also I don't know how he was before, but I've really enjoyed playing as panther man. I'm actually gonna try to focus on Slashing lunge, with the bannertech artifact (thanks cl_gibbcount!) and an Electra medallion. Those, with ebony blade and a lemuria stack should make him pretty tanky as well, on top of his decent damage output. Depending on how I can keep up spirit with the electra and pss, I may go to scything sweep for my "basic" and to apply stacks for the lunge. I really need his boots though (or any unique, the ebony blade I have was a drop I got from fiskmas)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

So, Tools of Vengeance or Avatar of Vengeance for Moon Knight? There aren't any builds for him listed in the OP's link.

Level with Tools, switch to Avatar when you start getting near the end. It's largely not as buggy as it used to be, but you'll still want to make sure you can maximize your damage during the lifesteal window.

This assumes you're running something melee-focused like the build i posted in my Moon Knight guide. If you're ranged I'd probably just stick to tools since your damage will be lower overall in general.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Just wondering, how much HP are you guys running roughly? My build is similar, but I'm trying to use the slashing lunge with an electra/bannertech. I took him into cosmic Kurse yesterday, and with the stealth/dodge/life on hit I was doing pretty well...except when I'd get blown up in 1-2 hits. I only have roughly 14k HP, and I'm missing a slot 2,3 and 5 unique for him (I'm not using the stupid necklace) and it looks like he gets some HP from those but not NC levels. Should I try something like Eidalon or Symbiote? What about runeword, was thinking of one of the Viking words (but tbh not quite sure I wanna spend the runes for gladiator on him).

He's fun, and his damage seems fine, I'm just not sure if I need to focus more on HP or if it's just the spike damage problem.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

My Moon Knight build is earlier in the thread, page 4 or 5 or somewhere around there.

Also that Cage build is out of date, crowbar's typically only used now if you have his crowbar unique and not his knuckledusters-every other situation savage beatdown is typically better.

Also I'm not sure there's a consensus on Strange, especially since so many people are running bug builds. But for anyone just starting:

20 Cinnibar
20 Tendrils
20 Winds
20 Demons
20 Vapors

1 Dreamwalking
1 All-seeing Eye
1 Orb of Agamotto
1 Ancient Training
1 Images of Ikkon
(next 3 are optional)
1 Shield of the Seraphim
1 Seven Rings
1 Seal of the Vishanti

That's 5 maxed skills, all incantations. A bit about the incantations-he has very few non-incantation spells, and all incantations have a cooldown. However, he's got a mechanic where he gets mysticism for each incantation he casts, and after getting 5 mysticism his next incantation will be free and reduce all his cooldowns by 15 seconds. In theory, you can juggle your incantation cycle to maximize your cooldowns and mana efficiency, similar to old mage/hunter spell rotations in WoW. In practice, you just chain smash everything whenever you can while running around. Every incantation I choose to max is AoE except Demons (most of them having truly huge areas). Also, the incantations I tried to pick were also based on the cast time/windup associated with them. This largely disqualified both Flames and Chains, as they seem to have very long casttimes. Of the ones I picked, Cinnibar has the lowest CD so that's something you'll be weaving in between your others very frequently. Winds and especially Vapors have longer cooldowns, but with your chain casting you'll have them up frequently enough. Demons gives back health on hit which helps a bit staying alive (although I still find him soft), and tendrils has a slow that's largely irrelevant but also has a smooth cast animation and instant damage.

After you can either go with a basic if you feel spirit will be an issue, Fangs if you want some more single target for when your incantations, or All-seeing Eye if you want the damage boost and don't mind the relatively long downtime (1 minute CD, 15 seconds duration). Many people also advocate maxing Dreamwalking, but I don't think the points are worth it at all. Also Strange has a lot of powers that could be worth 1 point, but it's up to you if you want to take them to juggle around.

Artifacts will be your general stuff for AoE blasters (Pluvian, PPS), with also having the option for Headband as he's all mental. The regular damage suspects (HoD, GoK, AMA) also apply here-I'd also say that AMA becomes especially good due to how many powers he puts points in-getting +1 to them all is a nice deal.

His uniques are largely fine, although you could look into a Cerebro for slot 5. Doc Ock can also be an option on slot 2 due to his amount of AoE powers. Gungir for legendary with Warlock's eye being an option if you wanna be cute. Crit damage costume with health/25% healing on medkit core. Insignia is Valk/O'Grady. Doom or Doc Ock medallion. Defense Uru with either River or Storm Giant Magi word.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

jubelio posted:

Just in case people arent upset enough yet:

The funny thing about the BP "fix" to me is that uppercut never actually didn't affect the "good" CC-bewildering hex. None of the other CC in this game is any good imo cause dudes are always being tagged with some 3% slow or w/e giving the same cc reduction as an actual stun. Losing the knockup sucks from a humor perspective, but more damage is a fair, if slightly less funny, solution.

Also has anyone checked if the Strange bug is in? The patch notes seem to mess with projections in general, but they don't mention if the actual bug was fixed.

Also Taskmaster addition is cool, makes up for teamups being pushed back imo. Although I'm wondering how well he's been tested.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Also for someone who mentioned the advance pack, they said they wouldn't put 200 splinter heroes in there so you don't get any of the "cheap" ones at the price. TBH I think that's actually a good way to do it since if you've got the advance pack you probably will have splinters hanging around anyways.

I just hope that them not even having their typical 1 day on test doesn't make Taskmaster too unplayable and/or broken. Although I have to admit, all the recent reworks and hero releases have seemed to have turned out well and most of the dudes seem at the least slightly better than average. I don't know if there's anyone not really good from the group of GR, NC, MK, Loki, or Strange. And the reworks have made most dudes at least playable, with some becoming really cool.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 3, 2014

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Also the voice work for Taskmaster is pretty amazing. Dude sounds ridiculously smarmy (in a good way)

edit-his ult is "Field Exercise"

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Also not sure if he's considered a villain anymore since he currently works with SHIELD (and has for awhile iirc).

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Diabetic posted:

To me, it seems like leveling to 60 in WoW pre-Burning Crusade. :sperg::goon:

You pay some chinese dude $100?

Also I'd be fine with letting people revert to level 1, no prestige. That's a fair compromise I think.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Are you making GBS threads me? I'd do it all the time then. Free costumes erryday.

Forgot about that, you're right.

You revert not to red, but to a special "I wanted to be hardcore epeen pro gamer-man but chickened out" poop brown name. Also you have a .01% chance of being feared on damage to acknowledge your "achievement".

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'll look at it again at 60, but for now (in the 40s) the DR scales incredibly poorly with points. I'd rather just put one point in it and get a bunch of +skill to it via his uniques.

Going back to this, not sure how it was in the 40s (but I'm assuming it scales pretty linearly) the difference between 1 pt and 20 pts is roughly 400 crit/DR and 900 def/dodge assuming you trigger both of the bonuses using an associated power. Pretty significant imo.

I've still got some messing to do with him, fairly sure I'm gonna focus on ranged with maybe 1 melee (leaning towards the shield slam/smash thing). Looking at his melee stuff, it's not bad but MK does pretty much everything in that department better while being a lot more durable which is huge for melee. Which is fine since TM has about 10 better ranged options, with only truncheon ricochet comparing favorably as a MK ranged power.

Taskmaster is really point-starved since typically you'll wanna run 2 stances and the passive maxed. Normally for many characters 3 attack powers maxed would do it, but he's got a ton of great skills (not surprising since he took arguably the best things from like 4 different chars). I'm currently maxing the daredevil & hawkeye stances, flawless, tear gas (which will only improve when it's nerve gas), rebounding shield and the shield slam. Point dump is his basic that returns spirit on hit. Wave clear is nice and it does well in xdef, but I think something better could be found.

I'm thinking cap/hawkeye stance, flawless, tear gas, rebounding shield, and the deadly shot (single target, gets bonuses against bosses) or possibly even dual wield since it's attack speed is pretty sick, with point dump being shield slam. I was running DD mainly for dodge synergy with PSS and hoping the life on hit would be solid (it's not really, although a heavier DD build may work better) since I only ran a couple melee abilities. Plus the Cap powers will work double duty boosting the stance so there's more blocking going on. This wouldn't significantly affect waveclear (I'd be dropping some from the shield slam, but whites aren't much problem anyways) while giving me a much stronger attack against bosses and the like and keeping me more out of melee.

Other potential options would be dropping the shield stuff entirely and using all 3 hawkeye arrow powers, but I'm not sure what I'd use to get the defense bonus from flawless in that case (maybe antiheroic charge?). Rebounding Shield is decent on it's own since it's high damage and a strong DoT affect, but without also having the shield crush to get the buff I'm not sure if it's better than his WoA ripoff, since that can also be spammed and should hit everything in the cone area, not just 7 dudes or w/e. On the flipside, you can also weave in Shield tosses between your main ranged solo shot and have the dot tick still which wouldn't really work with WoA so I'm a bit doubtful on this.

Also, does anyone know someone who can make good use of movement stuff? I've gotten a cool adv bannertech (thanks again cl_gibbcount) and a couple of 55+ cosmic electra medallions that I've always wanted to use. I'm currently running them on BP with his boots, but the damage on the bannertech goes to waste since his movement power is energy (also I think a more stealth based build would work better using his AoEs and savage for single target, his stealth roll is so good and having to hit dudes 5 times first doesn't seem very conducive to stealth). I was even thinking of trying TM, but his charge and the spider swing have such low damage that there's no reason to even try. I've also tried Cage using cold shoulder but was...underwhelmed.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

(red is not that much more difficult than green, but cosmic is huge, do not do cosmic unless you are a well geared 60)

As an addendum to this, I typically will take all my fresh-60 characters into cosmic Kurse/AIM once or twice to help me test builds/see where my gear may need upgrades assuming I wanna progress with them. More to test abilities and see what weaknesses I need to cover than anything. I don't recommend running cosmics until you're better geared, but what that entails will often differ vastly by character (bewildering hex is prob better than any gear you could think to add to SW for instance).

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

Hm. What would be the best way to start a discussion with a goon I know reads this thread. Oh, I know! Passively-aggressively posting one comment with so little context that it's almost impossible to tell where it's originally from! That seems like a good idea which is in no way a trolling shitpost.

Well it's fairly obvious where it's from since I don't know any other places that use that forums format.

Also it's a pretty lovely argument, especially since I don't believe there's been any previously accepted conversion rate. You don't pay money for splinters, you pay money for Gs, which are used to buy various in-game items. And anything performance-influencing is also available for splinters (I believe, I don't think any of the stuff you can buy are combat buffs not available for splinters)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Emulation is really not worth 20 points, considering all you get out of those 20 points is 130 DR, 130 CR, 500 defence and 500 dodge.

And then you get those numbers again when you hit with your abilities.

My TM since we're talking about it:

20 Flawless
20 Cap toggle
20 Hawkeye toggle
20 Tear Gas
20 Legion
20 Rebounding
Dump points in Shield Slam
1 in Dual Wield, CC break

Gas/Shield/Slam for trash, mix in Legion for bosses/elites that don't go down. Dual Wield for when you're out of spirit.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Spudsly posted:

A really common one is that "Soandso drops really infrequently therefore doubling the chance for it to drop doesn't change how often it drops, it's still really infrequent".

It's actually worse. If something drops infrequently, and you double it, it's now twice as infrequent i.e. more rare.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I'll echo what others have said. 20k is a good number to shoot for for melee, with 15k being fine for most ranged. You'll be able to get by with less on heroes depending on gear setup and the hero in question, but you put yourself a lot more in danger of being OHKO'd. My Nightcrawler runs around with 25k or so, Moon Knight's at 16k but he has one of the (if not the) best defensive passives in the game.

60k for an NPC that can't be controlled isn't very much at all in cosmic terminals/late xdef levels.

And looking at them on test, i'm very underwhelmed by the teamups. I don't really care about having another dude out because it's more crap on an already way-too-busy screen and their damage seems to be bad for higher end stuff. Maybe gear helps with that, but that's yet something else that will throw off drops and whatnot. And the passives are about the value of a bad insignia not counting the rif/sif/cred find, which is essentially another synergy.

Part of the problem is that they seem to always want to put stupid, negligible procs on everything. Then they exacerbate it with ridiculous cooldowns. The teamup passives have some measly 20k AoE proc or something that's on a 30 sec cd at max level, which is less than pretty much all AoE abilities on dudes I play. It's not at all significant to get an extra weaker attack every 30 seconds. It's the same thing on some of the legendaries (Bow of Apollo is killed by this), a bunch of uniques, and a bunch of the runewords. I don't know if they're using item budgets for gear like WoW or something, but these stupid procs need to be calculated as pretty much nothing cause it hurts a bunch of otherwise cool items.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

jubelio posted:

If they wanted team ups to be exciting and impactful, they shouldnt have had passive procs involved. It doesnt really matter if there arent better options, a vestigial leftover of a previously functional build option is not going to entice a lot of people. I definitely get why he is underwhelmed by the procs(and probably procs in general).

Yeah this exactly. Sure it's "free damage" but it's also entirely irrelevant. Especially since the part where the procs comes from is the "unique" abilities from the teamups. Those "unique" abilities will end up being every 30 or so seconds I'll get a different colored burst on my screen for a split second. I tied it into the proc stuff because it's the same problem-instead of getting something impactful they thought some lame proc was somehow at all worthwhile. And they seem to throw these around EVERYWHERE. Like they need to have a CD on their ability to design items with stupid procs (maybe 4 months?)

It's a pure powerup, but being that it's a powerup that's costing splinters/money, it feels really lackluster.

Spudsly posted:

I see, he also mentioned uniques/runewords/legendaries which is the only part I have experience with since I've been ignoring team-ups for now. However, from reading the thread I thought all team-up skills were chosen from a talent grid and so choosing one skill came at the cost of another. I briefly googled trying to find the skills in question but had no luck so I really am not sure about this example, maybe all options are procs with long cooldowns for a given tier.

Edit: oh I see, it's part of the passive. If they are all the same low damage, long cooldown procs no matter choice of team-up then yeah it's a wash.

Essentially all the teamups have 4 tiers of abilities. The first two tiers are the same for all of them:

tier 1 you choose hero out all the time, hero comes in for 30 seconds with some bonus damage, or hero gives a passive boost (damage for all but spidey who gives dodge.

tier 2 is either hero takes 10% of your damage, every kill reduces summoning cooldown 1 second (but there's a cooldown on the reduction), or 10% rif/sif/10 credit find

tiers 3 and 4 are "unique" but in general it's some variation of a weak cd ability for your teamup, a slightly less weak cd ability for your teamup, or a meaningless proc passive added to your attacks with a cd.

And it really sucks because the actual teamups seem cool, in terms of their models and voice work (although it seemed with Falcon's passive pose being both guns drawn and aimed, when you stop moving he's aiming at the back of your head which is kinda funny). The whole system seems like a placeholder for something much cooler in the future-you get the bonus slots and you can gear them, but the actual mechanical effects of the teamups don't seem impressive in the least.

----
Also entirely unrelated to that, Symbiote infestation or Agent X armor for TM? I have both and his armor's currently on him, but I'm almost thinking Symbiote is better. That -spirit is lame though...

And if anyone has any vibranium cores with health on medkit and HP/Str/Energy I'd be interested. Same for a adamantium with health on medkit and HP/fighting.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Ronco Showtime posted:

If you're just getting him to 60 and moving on leveling Thor is not what I'd call masochism. It's not bad at all. People don't seem to like his cooldowns, but nobody has too much of a problem with that on Strange.

Max Storm Strike, Asgardian Smite, Bring the Thunder, Almighty Mjolnir, Anti-Force, Asgardian Stamina. Extra points in Asgardian Frenzy or Immortal Combat, use an Idol of Khonshu and a defense Uru-Forged with River of Souls.

I had a problem with it on Strange. His damage does seem high, but after messing with him more he always just felt like Storm/SM/IM only having to wait to use all my abilities.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

The damage on the procs isn't as low as he may have lead you to believe.

One had like 120k damage max, another was around 23k13k every 0.5s for 5s aoe dot field. Yes, they have 30s CDs, but you can let them trigger on the boss then summon in the teamup while the procs CD to help kill the boss.

edit: ok I lied a bit about the dot, but it's still decent

Does the damage go up with gear or did they put in an update? The numbers I saw were piddly, in the 20k range. 120k is better, but for being on a 30 sec CD on some new mechanic with the same cost as a hero, I'd expect a bit more oomph.

Also if you wanted to summon the dude, you'd have to turn off the passive wouldn't you? So you'd have to open the window and switch your level 1 (at least) over, in the middle of a fight.

Good Citizen posted:

Not sure I get the hate against procs, at least as someone who mostly just levels heroes and fucks around. Most of the ones on cosmic items are fairly helpful. That demon thing tends to draw attention away from me and things like the cosmic burst will just randomly take out whole groups at low-mid levels. Having a dedicated sidekick running around all the time doing both of those things and not taking up a current gear slot sounds pretty great to me.

Maybe they suck at max level? I dunno, I just play a different character when I hit max in my quest to get all the synergies/xp bonuses that I keep telling myself I should care about.
I have no problem with the non-damage ones for the most part as they're generally useful. I've never seen the cosmic burst do anything at all though (I think on lvl 60 cosmics it's only around 9k damage). The demon summon from cosmics is a good distraction, the invuln shield is especially good, and the steroid is also solid.

The big issue is that the damage doesn't scale at all, and by adding all the cooldowns you don't get to have the benefit from high attack speed and/or AoE attacks giving you multiple lower-damage procs triggering (as is the case in most other games that use similar effects). Compare it to something like crit/brutal, which is essentially a damage boost proc with no cooldown that scales amazingly well.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Oddly they had a way to make people want more than one (different damage boosts) but apparently they're taking that out? They had 1 hero each with phys/energy/mental boost, and spidey with dodge. I don't really understand why they're switching that to all be generic DR.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Yeah I got like 3 or 4 boveinheim portals, I'm totally up for some cow killing.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Stay awhile, and listen...

Gaz rolled out the scoreboard.
The scoreboard was not just wrong, but orders of magnitude wrong. In a lot of ways.
Gaz pulls the scoreboard after everyone tells them how wrong it is.
Gaz wouldn't roll out the scoreboard knowing it was that wrong. They'd know how much poo poo they'd catch.
The only logical inference is that Gaz thought that the numbers on the scoreboard were fairly accurate.
If they think those numbers were accurate, they've been balancing everything based on those scoreboard numbers.

That's how we got here.
Those numbers on those broken scoreboards represent how Gaz views the game to actually behave.

"Millions of metrics..."

Jesus Christ.

:ms:

I don't believe any of that is even remotely true. I mean it's pretty obvious they're a bit fast and loose with math (which baffles me since apparently they have nearly 100 people working for them and presumably at least some of them program which in theory requires at least some basic arithmetic ability) but to say that because some scoreboard's numbers seem to be off that's what they use to balance the game doesn't really follow.

Honestly a ton of the stuff that gets complained about (some by me even) is really fringe stuff. The main problem largely comes from them churning out so much, so fast. That's exactly the kind of situation that causes a number to be missed, or .025 = 1/25th, or all the other random bugs. And getting new stuff out seems to take priority over fixing what's already there

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Doop has his own miniseries that just started last week.

Also I really liked the XStatix run. About the only X-title I enjoyed

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

After my failed attempts at making movement BP, I was planning on focusing on stealth with him, but now I'm wondering should I just wait for BW. I mainly gotta find something to do with BP since I spent like 1mil credits getting crit dmg on his costume :negative:

Also I started using a similar build to the pseudo-Hulk Taskmaster one posted earlier, and it's really solid.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

They are Punisher, who needs a buff, Deadpool, whose ranged damage is kind of terrible except for his basic, and Cable, whose energy damage is anemic.

I am not seeing a problem with buffing any of those.

e: oh and BW I guess. She's getting revamped at about the same time, though, so who the gently caress knows there.

Hawkeye has ranged fighting I believe. As well as Moon Knight (who's already impressive damage will likely end up...more impressive after the review).

The changes are kinda crazy, imo. Lvl 7 fighting currently gives 25% boost to fighting powers. If what they say is true and they're just removing that tag and upping the base damages by 20%, every fighty dude is getting roughly a 20% damage boost (most fighty dudes end at 6 or 7 fighting). This is on top of a likely boost to damage from str for physical powers.

Just looking at some rough numbers this could give a 30%+ damage boost to those characters, assuming that's really what is going live. Which is...interesting, especially since it likely won't come with the enemy rebalancing that the DPS changes had.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

WarLocke posted:

After playing around with team-ups for a couple days, what I've found myself doing for most of my high-level characters is setting them to 'Assist', 'Treasure Find', and whatever active powers in tier 3 and 4. For most non-boss content I don't really need them, so I can leverage a little bit of RIF/SIF and free money, and then when poo poo hits the fan or you get to the terminal boss you can call them in for 30 seconds doing triple base damage and with big hitter powers.

For low-level and/or characters still leveling though 'Companion' team-ups are loving amazingly useful.

I've personally had a team-up out all of 2 times, both by accident. All passive all the time.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Gunjin posted:

I can't see not taking Savage Beatdown on Cage, it's really good.

Savage is good, and Tasker's build for Cage is solid. The only summon he maxes (at least last I checked) is the signature, which scales all his 4 summons and they also all share their auras when they're out (which it didn't previously, when it was a 1 pt skill at most). Cage needs a basic to get combo points, as well as to support his spirit pool which gets really stretched thin if you're taking full advantage of throwing cars and yanking chains and combo rolling.

About the only gripe I have is lack of AoE ability, but that's more a failing of Cage's kit as his AoE is kinda lackluster. Although there's a chance that the changes to ability scores will make tossing cars viable for more than filling combo instantly since he also gets a passive that adds to throwing damage. Although he'll be super point starved at that point-it may be worth maxing car toss and his crit passive that gives throwing damage over savage and the aura damage passive. You can get a lot of +skills from Cage's uniques so dropping the points from savage may not be bad if you have the knuckledusters, but this is all theorycrafting over theoretical changes.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

A blessing should get a Pyms about 100% of the time (I know I'd give up some of my extras for blessings). Runes could get one, depending on which rune-you're probably looking at least at 2 Moon tier runes, but less than a Tyr. The other things are much more sketchy since you'll need very high rolls for people to part with them.

I've actually had decent luck finding them, I think I've found 3 or 4 from drops, traded for another 1-2 with blessings, and got 5 for my Thor rune early after the rune release. Think I also sold a couple for various things.

If you don't trade in the SG though, it could be harder since you're basically just trawling trade chat which is an...interesting exercise. I've actually had an ok experience actually trading, it's just often timeconsuming finding whatever you want.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

jubelio posted:

trade stuff

How useful are those supertrader threads? I know someone pointed me to one before and the guy said he was only looking for GoK, 260+ HoD, high roll Headbands, and Zods. Then he had a bunch of stuff like PSS and lower runes listed.

I've gotten more done in trade chat than I've done looking on the forum trade forum, but obviously YMMV. That said in general SG chat is the best place to look, especially for anything besides pretty much the super-rare useful artifacts and runes (and mostly that's due to availability, most people with extra would likely trade them).

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Babyface Mingo posted:

Man, my Daredevil still feels extremely sub-par compared to other level 60 characters. I was doing a Cosmic Doom the other day with 3 goon Taskmasters and I died at least 10+ times. I've got a good skill build, I've got (at least) decent items on him, 3/4 uniques equipped and other slots are cosmics, artifacts aren't perfect but still decent. Core and suit affixes are alright. I don't have a legendary, though. Is Daredevil really just that weak or is late game itemization just that important?

That's the problem. It may be early to say if he's ~~1337 ToP tIeR~~ but TM is extremely good at...pretty much everything. I tend to feel bad when I team with Cap, DD, or Hawkeye as TM since he's pretty much got their best skills+. My ranged semi-hybridy TM build I'd typically only have 1-2 deaths in cosmic Doom or Kurse (mostly due to touching overlapping cosmic fields, or OHKO from Kurse) with gear similar to what you describe, and my charge-based build is probably significantly more durable than that (especially since I've worked on upgrading my gear).

edit-As an aside, while playing TM I started thinking about the spike-damage issue that seems to exist in the game and I was thinking...I'm not sure if it's a problem. So my TM has about 20k HP, 13k defense, 35% dodge, 8% full block, restores around 1500 HP on hitting with a charge on top of 130 lemurias, and a damage block for about 1k every so often, invis/25% health core I run, invuln proc, 10% damage reduction from charge, and a couple other random things from uniques. Without high spike damage, how would you design to get through defenses like that? And it's not necessarily unique for TM (although I think his kit is very durable)-I know Hulk and Colossus can get 30K+ hp with good defense, NC can get 25k with nearly 50% dodge on top of 9-10k defense, etc all the while still doing solid to really good defense.

It really made me see why they seem so hesitant with lifesteal/on hit effects.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 15, 2014

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Also I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but as far as artifacts that aren't the very high end stuff (HoD, GoK, Headband, maybe black tom's cane now) ask the supergroup if they have any. I'm sure there's tons of dudes with way more crap than me, and I've gotten where I'll vendor adv kung fu training, adv crystal of cytorrak, ziggarauts, pluvians, etc. so getting of a lot of the better artifacts isn't particularly difficult.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

davebo posted:

Yes, and you get a random unique, so I really don't understand why the uniques you put in can't be random. It is a dumb system.

It's far better than the previous system of keeping them in your stash/vendoring them.

I mean I don't see how it's a bad system-people complained that uniques were too rare so they up the drops, then they complain there's too many uniques, but not the right ones so they give a trade in. I'm assuming they'd like there still to be some randomness in getting uniques.

I guess the next step can just be removing gear slots 1-5 for pre-set stat bonuses based on the uniques that formerly went in those slots?

mikeraskol posted:

I'm pretty bad at this game! I can't figure out what's going on with the items/ui/etc. roughly 90% of the time.
Who bought Doomsaw an SA account?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I really hope they rethink adding new items with +attributes. There's already too many different item types, and too many damage stats. They really need to be more mindful of the power creep of adding all these different stat boosts, especially since they've shown to be a little loose with their numbers.

Honestly, I don't find the current stat system that bad. They're things that give decent but not overwhelming bonuses, and the few ways to improve them don't really allow for it to be a focus, nor do they usually take away from other gearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Zeike posted:

Her neck does look too long to me now that I took a better look.

:siren:PERVERT ALERT! PERVERT ALERT!:siren:

Not every dude who comments on a female character model is creepy or whatever else. I know it's cool to work on your #sjw merit badges by pointing out how cartoon characters created pretty much as fetishes are being objectified or w/e, but it's kinda tiresome. Especially since a lot of the threads about the male characters get the same type of comments. And honestly they're not always off-base, but that's likely due to the fact the previews are 2-d closeups of a 3-d model that's usually viewed from far away.

• Locked thread