Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
HELP HOW DO I GEAR

Old thread, old links. The current guide is here.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
moved

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 4, 2014

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Goddammit Kheldarn.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Anyway, here's the updated link for the gear guide; I'm going to let the old one rot.

I started a guide to evaluating stats in general. It's not done by a long shot, but it's started. I still need to cover Blessings; the short version is get Hela/Odin/the other good one that I'm forgetting.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 28, 2014

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
HELP HOW DO I SCARLET WITCH

Moved and updated here

HELP HOW DO I COLOSSUS

This is out of date and isn't being updated. Take it with a grain of salt.

Colossus jumps into a fight, pops his pets if he has them, pops his big gently caress-off AOE powers, spams a spirit dump appropriate to the situation, then punches until he's full on spirit or poo poo is off cooldown. He's straightforward, but blowing up every last motherfucker on the screen in between punches never gets old.

Gear him with Snakeroot Clan for a relic. Good costume core options are two of Strength, Fighting, and a healthpack invuln/invis/25% proc. Get a Gungnir and stop complaining that everyone uses the same Legendary. For blessings, Colossus uses Helas, although Odins are close behind.

For Medallions, Colossus uses the same grab-bag as any melee character. Tombstone is best, with Blob, Kurse, and Kingpin right behind. Magneto is an option if you have serious spirit issues.

For artifacts, his BIS is something like Adv. Metasensory Array, Adv. Crimson Crystal of Cytorrak, Adv. King Fu Training Sequence, and White Suit Jacket. Ziggurat of Kargul is close and has a useful teleport. Superheroic Yukio's Charm and Advanced Circlet of Cytorrak are both close, and Gem of the Kursed or Hand of Doom may overtake one item or another depending on your particular mix of gear. Pym's Shrinking Serum is an option to shore up his terrible spirit, but really needs Spider-Man's dodge % synergy to work.

For Uru crap, obviously you're getting a glove for physical damage. Level up with Seer's Brilliance. At 60, River of Souls is probably your best bet, since it helps with his spirit issues. If you really do have his spirit under control, the cheap DPS runeword is Bone Breaker and the expensive one is Viking Gladiator. Bone Breaker is probably more DPS unless you have his slot 3 unique (Legacy of the Rasputins), because of the strength cap.

gently caress you Cease, I'm not reading all that poo poo below: Okay. I run this build, it works fine.

How to spec Colossus:
  • Maxed:
    • Steel Punch - Your basic, and a pretty good one. Reeling Punch is an option for spirit-heavy builds (pet builds especially), but is a lot less damage. You can drop this to a one-pointer if you have excellent spirit regen but you probably won't.
    • Colossal Punch - Your bosskiller spirit dump. You don't need this for anything short of an actual supervillain, and you won't miss it while leveling.
    • Demolition Stomp - Your AOE spirit dump. It's boring, but it's a lot more effective than Steel Cyclone and Siberian Express, and it applies the vulnerability debuff for you.
    • Metallic Warrior - It's been nerfed, but it's still a ton of damage. Max Osmium Champion instead if you're going for a gimmick pet build, but don't make a gimmick pet build.
  • Pick three of these to max out and put one point in the rest: - Dump any extra points into one of these, too.
    • Osmium Champion. More damage.
    • Titanic Slam - You'll never have to worry about targeting white mobs ever again, even with just one point, but more is more damage over time.
    • Bulwark of Steel - More HP.
    • Pet attacks - Fastball Special does more damage than Bond of Bloodline. You can skip even one point in these if you want, though; they require a lot of spirit to use on cooldown.
  • One-pointers:
    • Osmium Skin - This doesn't scale very well, but one point is still good.
    • Colossal Roar - Titanic Slam only moreso. This also has an irresistible stun attached to it, so it can interrupt annoying effects like Bullseye's and Sauron's TAKE COVER attacks, Juggernaut/Rhino charges, Blob's wind-up ground pound, and phase 3 Doom's ranged attacks.
    • Break the Chains - Standard boring stun-breaker.
    • An aura power - Inspiring Battlecry is a good default choice, although Sustaining Presence can help with spirit issues. More than one point or more than one aura is a waste of points.
    • Heroic Challenge - Strictly optional boring taunt. I don't like this power and don't take it, but if you want a taunt, stick a point here.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 4, 2014

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Cease to Hope: I'd argue that, while they start diminishing immediately, CR and BR don't exactly have punishing diminishment until 50% and 37.5%, respectively (3600 rating).

According to Psylocke's charts, BR has a different curve from CR, and it sucks a lot. I'll take your word for it on CR, and I edited for the next time I update.

Spudsly posted:

However, I just want to mention their is no benefit to rolling affixes on a level 1 costume (despite being a really wide spread concept), the roll is not truncated to the range of the affix at it's current level. The game keeps more precision hidden away. Check this out if you missed it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3583020&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=363#post427502935 . Here's the picture that tells the story

Eh, it's fine.

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

Cease, you can add that Darkhold is decent for Dr. Strange as well since his Images of Ikonn function just like Lil' Deadpool with their taunt.

Added for the next time I update.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Spudsly posted:

But it's demonstrably false! I showed my work and everything. The level 1 costume "smaller range" thing is just superstition.

Edit: in fact, it also tells you that rolling at 1 is explicitly worse than rolling at 60 since you see less precision and therefore may end up re-rolling a roll that was only infinitesimally less than a roll you would have kept and would have resulted in the same (or atleast an acceptable) value at 60.

If you can explain to me in small words what you proved and why it matters, okay.

Bear in mind, you have two obstacles to overcome. First, I don't care, and second, I'm retarded.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Vincent posted:

Where do I put the code in the OP for the extra-hero ?

Click this link and log in.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

seravid posted:

I didn't know the devs gave away 'buy one get one' tokens even if you bought a character before the sale; that's very nice of them and since I unlocked Hulk I'm doubly appreciative. Gift was Daredevil though, so back to singly (?) appreciative :colbert:

Paging Cease to Hope in case he has a HELP HOW DO I HULK SMASH spergpost.

Use the dash build from gibcount's post in Sion's build list. Just search for "fancy post" in the OP.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Spudsly posted:

I'm afraid I typed too much.

Okay, that image proves that people who say you should roll at level 1 are wrong and stupid, got it. I can understand that.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

nickhimself posted:

How're you gonna list Gboon as an officer, when he's on like twice a year, but forget me?!

C'mon, Kelp!

I don't think he listed any of the new officers. I'm not on there either.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Toshimo posted:

- Lack of Attack Speed scaling (none of his spirit spenders scale on it at all)

I thought Rate of Fire attacks benefit from it, like Explosive Rocket.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Whoops. Copied an old version. Fixed.

With that in mind, is AMA going to do more for you than HOD? I don't know how close to the skill cap Punisher runs with his uniques, or how much ASpd he has on his uniques already.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

In other news I randomed Deadpool and got DD in the free box (hooray new heroes!). Any tips? Are the guides in our lovely compiled guides up to date?

The build that's there is fine for most stuff. Apparently people are also just dropping combo spenders entirely and spamming Triple Strike, Rebounding Club, and the crashdown-alike.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
come to think of it the eggy toast game might have been odin sphere

Man that was a good rear end game

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mahasamatman posted:

How's he surviving for you? I want a melee who can comfortably do cosmic kurse terminal.

I can do it on Hulk and Cap without scrambling too badly. Mine are fairly well-geared, though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Just eyeballing Scarlet Witch's new power trees, it looks like you could make a ballin AoE bitch with Chaos Shift, Obfuscation, Ominous Veil, Ruinous Flux and Chaos Warp. Just teleport into the middle of guys, do damage, do more damage and fear everyone around you, be dodging/blocking ranged attacks, then Chaos Warp apparently hits most of the screen...

E-Tap posted:

I dunno how "new" her power trees are since I don't think anything major's changed for her in forever, but CeaseToHope's made a few posts about Scarlet Witch in the old thread, god knows where they are now in this new thread though but I'm sure he'll be more than happy to link his post on her if you don't manage to find it by then.

Here's the Scarlet Witch guide.

The fear power you cast is kind of crap, because enemies flee out of it. The fear veil, however, is awesome because it also comes with projectile deflect.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

Nice! O'Grady or ??? for Insignia?

Always O'Grady, Valkyrie, or Groot.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Incidentally, what heroes should use defense uru-forged items rather than offense?

Heavily hybrid melee characters with survivability problems. Like, maybe melee Gambit or hybrid Thor.

You can usually just throw away armor and axes, nobody really uses them.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

WarLocke posted:

My Storm is 32 now and this is still the case. I basically only ever have to actually attack blues/yellows/bosses. And for them you can poo poo out Ball Lightning like crazy.

If Freezing Tempest ever stops one-shotting mooks I guess I could get Crushing Hail, but CH does physical damage where everything else I use is energy, it would kind of muddle my damage profile...

Everything Storm does in almost every build is area/ranged, and there's much better support for those tags to boot. You'd have to go far out of your way to get a significant amount of energy-only DR on Storm.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I have no idea what they're going to do with Reed Richards, though (also, Reed Richards will probably be 600 splinters due to stretching).

Stretching, gadgets, the leader of the Fantastic 4 (which has a poo poo-ton of supporting characters that wouldn't really work as standalones). He's got more stuff than, say, Cyclops.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 1, 2014

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

WarLocke posted:

I am certainly no expert but Maelstrom seems loving ridiculous in places with tons of mooks like dino or tiki xdef waves. The damage per bolt is low but it seems like everything on screen gets hit by a bolt every half-second to second, so the damage quickly piles up.

Everything Storm does is good at dealing with those situations. Maelstrom is only useful for :effort:, not for any time you actually care about your performance.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jedit posted:

I am now picturing Reed Richards in Psylocke's costume

I may have quoted the wrong sentence, but I really don't have a problem with this.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I posted updated guides to Colossus and SW on page 4 or 5 of this thread. I also need to update that SG post, goddamn.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Can't you? I might be thinking Superheroic? I know you can run them at higher difficulties and get boosted equipment. Let me check when I get home. :v:

You are thinking of SH.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Zombie Samurai posted:

Could I get a quick rundown on what's worth stashing? Right now mine is at capacity with elements, runes, relics, uru-forged stuff, old artifacts, and whatever uniques I've found. My crafter is only at 10 so I'm not sure what I need to keep for recipes yet. What can I safely dump, and is there anything I've been trashing that I shouldn't?

(I keep my splinters & shards in my inventory, since I'm always picking up more.)

Elements are garbage. Keep a few pures of each type handy if you want to be lazy, but mostly they're junk.

Keep all of your runes. If you really don't have the room for them, read my gear guide and only keep the ones you think you'll use. But you will probably want most of them, since runewords are still in flux.

Uru-forged items aren't worth keeping. Keep the ones you know you'll use sometime in the near future. Give away the others to goons, or donate them. Do not feel bad about asking for urus from SG chat. If you really must save some uru items, save gauntlets and crossbows. Almost every character can use one of those two.

The good relics are Lemuria (life-on-hit), Snakeroot (movespeed), Subterranea (defense), and Gibborim (spirit). Up to you if you want to keep the others. Cthon (damage-on-hit) and Skrullos (tenacity) are absolutely useless junk.

Not all artifacts are worth keeping. Artifacts that aren't on my big gear list are almost certainly disposable junk you'll only use at lower levels if at all, and artifacts with bad rolls often aren't worth fooling with. Artifacts are good money for donating, so do thin the herd every so often.

Captain Bravo posted:

Well poo poo, nevermind then. Superheroic only gives like, level 50~ gear. Still way better than bottom drops, but there's probably cosmic stuff out there that tops it.

Can the Motion Tracker drop normally, or is it a story-only item? I could have sworn I had a level 60 one on my Punisher.

Story only. The level 50 one is fine at 60, though. Artifacts have a fixed level they're usable at.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 2, 2014

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

So I just had a Death Seed drop, who's a good dude/tte to slap it on?

Someone who dies a lot. It's not particularly specialized for any sort of attack, so it's more or less good on everyone and has a big chunk of health.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

My new favorite Xdef minigame, how much damage can you take without dying!

Well, first you'd need some sort of character with low defense and dodge, since those reduce the damage you take, but very high health and regen.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

This game needs Diablo 3's streak breaker.

That was one of the things on the big list of planned loot revisions.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Respecs are an item you can buy or find, but they're common enough that you will have plenty of extras by they time you are really worried about minmaxing.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

a cock shaped fruit posted:

What's a VIP wave?

The new wave, where you have to save people from a crashed SHIELD aircraft.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

WarLocke posted:

I guess there might be a mathematically better build out there (and I know basically nothing about Squirrel Girl) but it strikes me as kind of wrong to not run her as a pet-master type of character. It would be like playing Nightcrawler but not using his teleport-attack powers, or playing cap without shield throws...

There's nowhere else worth putting points but her defensive passives.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Is the Thing still bad? Last I heard he was terrible but I got him from BOGO. Should I even bother?

Still bad.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Blade Leader posted:

PSA/reminder that you should be maxing lightning storm and not spirited on storm for MAX DPS

I don't think this is true in practice. It's a marginal improvement over Spirited if you're just beating up a target dummy, but any time you're moving instead of attacking or have to refresh Hail because the boss moved or have to do any sort of endurance fight (like XDef), it's worse. You could make up the difference by taking spirit artifacts/runewords/gear, but what's the point?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Did they nerf Punishers durability or is the op just out of date about the glass cannon thing? Because when I was playing a few months ago he was tanky as hell with lemuria and his pain tolerance.

Both. The OP was written before he was buffed to be super tanky, but they then nerfed Pain Tolerance.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I know being youtube famous is important and all but you could at least include a Marvelbase link.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

nickhimself posted:

God drat it, guys.

Dude. Stop reading the MH forums. Official forums are always terrible.

BabyFur Denny posted:

Anyone got a new Squirrel Girl build? The old one still is recommending a life leech core.

Don't play SG? Her build hasn't changed (except that CCK is now named Nutcracker), but all of that gear advice is old and terrible. She's one of the worst characters right now, though. I'd wait for her review.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

So who is Comixfan anyway and why are people so happy about him going nuts?

A bad poster and probably lunatic who ran a fansite where Chris Claremont used to post.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kelp Plankton posted:

Squirrel Girl is reasonably solid right now but relies on gearing for pet damage to the exclusion of basically everything else.

This is really bad advice. Her squirrels do poo poo for damage even when you're rocking +100% or more pet damage.

Kelp Plankton posted:

- Either Squirrelpocalypse or Death From The Trees. DFFT has great synergy with Savage Swipe(causes slow)

DFFT's slow doesn't last long enough to matter for Savage Swipe. (It is useful for holding your targets in place, though.) Only use Savage Swipe if you've got a source of slow that doesn't come from your crappy slowing powers. A slow proc on a ring is a good place to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kelp Plankton posted:

edit 2: I should note that I don't really think anyone should be playing Squirrel Girl if you're just going to focus on SG herself's damage. She's terribly boring if you do that and you're ignoring her primary gimmick. You'd be better off playing Wolverine or Moon Knight or any other melee character in that case. For me it's squirrels or nothin'.

She plays exactly the same but with more damage if you don't go all-in on pet-damage items.

• Locked thread