Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The best thing that ever happened to my Plex server's reliability was setting Windows task scheduler to reboot the server app every night at 3am. All the dumb, undiagnosable gak that builds up after weeks of uptime that leads to weird behaviors just isn't an issue anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

TheScott2K posted:

The best thing that ever happened to my Plex server's reliability was setting Windows task scheduler to reboot the server app every night at 3am. All the dumb, undiagnosable gak that builds up after weeks of uptime that leads to weird behaviors just isn't an issue anymore.

would you be willing to show screenshots of how you did that? are you running it as a service, or just as a logged in user?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

would you be willing to show screenshots of how you did that? are you running it as a service, or just as a logged in user?

It's Task Scheduler - part of Windows, just give it a shot and you'll probably figure it out.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

My internet has been out for about 24 hours and goddamn is plex ever lovely about dealing with it.

"Make sure your server has an internet connection and any firewalls or other programs are set to allow access."

How about gently caress you?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Take a look at this once you get Internet access back: https://www.howtogeek.com/303282/how-to-use-plex-media-server-without-internet-access/

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah that's what my searches have been coming up with which is super frustrating right now, to say the least.

Steam, for all its shittiness about certain things, has gotten a lot better about offline mode, so at least I have video games.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

I did the same thing on OS X and it has fixed any problems that would develop over time.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Huh I wonder if a similar thing happens with the server on Linux. Guess I'll try it out and see what happens.

I sent a friend an invite and they can not see my server. No server changes on my end as others can see it no problem. Well they can see the name but it says not online. Any thoughts on what may be causing the problem?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I would assume that the root cause that is being fixed by restarting the app would be platform agnostic so it couldn’t hurt. I bounce my server once a week and that seems to keep things running smoothly. I have been thinking about posting the metadata dirs over to a SSD, I wonder if that would help combat issues as well.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Anecdotally I never restart my Linux plex server. It just sits there humming along. I would expect desktop os's to need regular reboots but not Linux. Outside of keeping up with kernel updates etc anyways.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yeah that’s the onus for bouncing it at regular intervals, but restarting the box does the same for the containers so two birds one restart.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Anecdotally I never restart my Linux plex server. It just sits there humming along. I would expect desktop os's to need regular reboots but not Linux. Outside of keeping up with kernel updates etc anyways.

Yep only restart the docker for updates and have zero issues.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
Same. I just reboot the docker whenever an update is released.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Same here. Mines is on a CentOS 7 VM (directly installed). It gets rebooted only after plex or OS updates.

That is normally. There have absolutely been some releases where it was just garbage and required frequent reboots and/or I've rolled back to a previous version. I can't re call this happening any time recently - and I'm running the plex pass versions.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Should note I don’t restart OS X server just plex home server software.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I've got a show that Plex won't add. Even if metadata can't be found it should at least add the raw files, right?

1. It is named correctly:

/TV Shows
./Spirit Adventures Plague
../Season 1
.../Spirit Adventures Plague - s01e01 - Cage Of Fright.mkv

2. The files play properly.
3. I've done the Plex dance (https://forums.plex.tv/t/the-plex-dance/197064)
4. I've restarted Plex server.
5. I've checked the logs and I'm seeing a lot of stuff about the show but not sure what it all means.

quote:

Scanner: Processing directory /Volumes/Plex/TV Shows/Spirit Adventures Plague (parent: yes)
* Noting that 'Spirit Adventures Plague' was updated at 2020-06-29 09:03:15
* Taking directory 'Spirit Adventures Plague' (2186) out of the map (339 left)
Adding subdirectory for scanner: "/Volumes/Plex/TV Shows/Spirit Adventures Plague/Season 1"
Adding file for scanner: "/Volumes/Plex/TV Shows/Spirit Adventures Plague/.DS_Store"
Skipping over directory 'Spirit Adventures Plague', as nothing has changed; removing 0 media items from map.
HTTP requesting GET :/metadata/updateProgressMessage?message=Scanning%20Spirit%20Adventures%20Plague
HTTP 200 response from GET :/metadata/updateProgressMessage?message=Scanning%20Spirit%20Adventures%20Plague
Scanner: Processing directory /Volumes/Plex/TV Shows/Spirit Adventures Plague/Season 1 (parent: yes)
* Noting that 'Spirit Adventures Plague/Season 1' was updated at 2020-06-29 09:03:15
* Taking directory 'Spirit Adventures Plague/Season 1' (2187) out of the map (338 left)
Adding file for scanner: "/Volumes/Plex/TV Shows/Spirit Adventures Plague/Season 1/Spirit Adventures Plague - s01e01 - Cage Of Fright.mkv"
Adding file for scanner: "/Volumes/Plex/TV Shows/Spirit Adventures Plague/Season 1/Spirit Adventures Plague - s01e02 - Distance Of Night.mkv"
Skipping over directory 'Spirit Adventures Plague/Season 1', as nothing has changed; removing 2 media items from map.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Are your directory permissions such that Plex should be able to read the files? That gets me from time to time. I spent a concerning amount of time dealing with the issue recently and only realized the library settings weren’t telling it to look at the folder in question after a large deal of poking around.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Have you tried switching the agent? Last time I had this it was one of the agents loving up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It not being on TVDB is undoubtedly the issue. Heck I can't even find a result on Google for this show.

Violator
May 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

It not being on TVDB is undoubtedly the issue. Heck I can't even find a result on Google for this show.

Well I changed the name. It’s Ghost Adventures: Quarantine. :cheeky:

Edit: I’ll check the permissions and agent. Thanks for the tips. Other shows are adding fine in the same dir, but maybe I screwed up this show’s folder somehow.

I thought it would add files no matter what and just show the file names if it didn’t recognize it so you could manually add metadata if you wanted.

Violator fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 1, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh! Ha! I was so confused, thought this was some underground TV show you had stumbled upon!

Violator
May 15, 2003

Figured out what it's doing but can't figure out how to fix it. There are several spinoffs of this show:

/TV Shows
./Ghost Adventures
./Ghost Adventures Aftershocks
../Season 1
.../Ghost Adventures Aftershocks - s01e01 - Bobby Mackeys.m4v
./Ghost Adventures Quarantine
../Season 1
.../Ghost Adventures Quarantine - s01e01 - Perimeter Of Fear.mkv

I have everything named correctly, permissions look good, and it's on TVDB. The problem is when I add the Ghost Adventures Quarantine files to the NAS and Scan Library, it's adding those episodes into the "Ghost Adventures Aftershocks" show and applying the wrong metadata instead of adding them into their own show as per the file system organization. So now the Aftershocks show is showing duplicate versions of episodes, where the duplicates are actually the Quarantine episodes. I can play each "version", but I see no way of splitting the files out into their own show?

When I do the Plex dance and re-add the files, they show up for a split second as their own new show on the Dashboard but then they disappear and are added to the Aftershocks show.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The the "Ghost Adventures Quarantine" folder out of your plex library folders completely. Wait for Plex to show those as unavailable and then Empty Trash.

When the double episodes are gone. Move the "Ghost Adventures Quarantine" folder back into the TV Shows folder as its own folder. Do NOT put it inside the Ghost Adventures folder!

Wait to see if Plex picks it up correctly then..

I've had similar problems with shows that have spinoffs and I always had to put them in their own folder. If they where in subfolders they would get mixed up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is TVDB actually clean for those shows? There was poo poo like this for the most recent season of Cosmos where at first TVDB had it as Season 2, then it was Season 1 of Cosmos: Possible Worlds, and now it's back to Season 2.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That’s nothing compared to the living hell that is American Dad.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is TVDB actually clean for those shows? There was poo poo like this for the most recent season of Cosmos where at first TVDB had it as Season 2, then it was Season 1 of Cosmos: Possible Worlds, and now it's back to Season 2.

I looked, it appears to be correct on TVDB.

Violator
May 15, 2003

stevewm posted:

The the "Ghost Adventures Quarantine" folder out of your plex library folders completely. Wait for Plex to show those as unavailable and then Empty Trash.

When the double episodes are gone. Move the "Ghost Adventures Quarantine" folder back into the TV Shows folder as its own folder. Do NOT put it inside the Ghost Adventures folder!

Wait to see if Plex picks it up correctly then..

I've had similar problems with shows that have spinoffs and I always had to put them in their own folder. If they where in subfolders they would get mixed up.

Yeah, I have all of the different shows as their own folders:

/Ghost Adventures
/Ghost Adventures Aftershocks
/Ghost Adventures Quarantine
/Ghost Adventures Serial Killers

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The lack of colon in all but the original series folder might be one factor, Plex just really hates shows that have them in the title but can't have them in the file name.

WebTools https://github.com/ukdtom/WebTools.bundle might be a useful install, as it'll show you things that are in folders that aren't being picked up and added to the library for whatever reason.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Warbird posted:

Ugh, no loving poo poo there.

Violator
May 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

The lack of colon in all but the original series folder might be one factor, Plex just really hates shows that have them in the title but can't have them in the file name.

This pointed me in the right direction I think. I renamed them to:

/Ghost Adventures
/Ghost Adventures- Aftershocks
/Ghost Adventures- Quarantine (2020)
/Ghost Adventures- Serial Killers

And renamed all of the files inside to match as well. I saw another show had a dash instead of a colon and saw some folks add the year to the show and I guess that's enough to get it to work. It didn't match with the TVDB right away but I was able to do a manual search to pull the metadata in. I don't like that the filenames are a little clunky and inconsistent but I'll never see it again so oh well.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Warbird posted:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For those not keeping up with American Dad, beyond the many years of fuckery it has had no less than *seven* episode reorders this season alone. Chaos caused in part by TV not airing an episode but Amazon not getting the message and putting it out.

Also never run a corrected fileset of it through Sonarr automatically, because it’ll use thexem to try and correct a second time around and boy that’s not fun to fix by hand.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I have a bunch of Beavis and Butt-head episodes that I'd like to get into Plex. However they are number 1-whatever. No season info or anything like that. Easiest way to do it?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I've seen a few people bypass TVDB by using .nfo files. I know you have to throw in a 3rd party module but A: Is that gonna stay working? B: Is there a decent template?

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

calandryll posted:

I have a bunch of Beavis and Butt-head episodes that I'd like to get into Plex. However they are number 1-whatever. No season info or anything like that. Easiest way to do it?

I opened each file in VLC to check the title, then changed the title on each episode then ran it thru FileBot to get proper season and episode numbers. Maybe not the easiest way to do it, but it's probably as correct as it's gonna get. It only took a few boring hours to get it done.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Wondering if the thread can help me understand what I did to fix my Plex server. It is running on Unraid with plenty of horsepower (2x 12c/24t Xeon v3, 128GB RAM) but I was having trouble streaming a single cartoon to my kids room. I thought I had things set up properly -- I had set CPU isolation/pinning for the two VMs that I run and for the docker containers I was only pinning Boinc, which is a folding@home kind of app. I didn't pin Plex at all assuming the system would distribute resources appropriately.

So the strange thing was that despite CPU core isolation, it really looked like Plex was stealing a single thread from one of the isolated cores and only using that core, explaining the poor performance. So I went and gave Plex 12 other cores and now it's perfectly happy, streaming 5 1080p streams and clearly using the right cores.

My question is how did Plex steal an "isolated" thread and get stuck using only that thread??

edit: I can take my question to the Packrats thread also if that is more appropriate.

Smashing Link fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 2, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That sounds like a hypervisor/unraid question, not a plex question honestly.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

That sounds like a hypervisor/unraid question, not a plex question honestly.

Roger. At least Plex is working again.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

calandryll posted:

I find Rename My TV Series pretty helpful, as it's a tool to use the TVDB API to rename files (and figure out what you could name folders too)

https://www.tweaking4all.com/home-theatre/rename-my-tv-series-v2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

The Diddler posted:

I opened each file in VLC to check the title, then changed the title on each episode then ran it thru FileBot to get proper season and episode numbers. Maybe not the easiest way to do it, but it's probably as correct as it's gonna get. It only took a few boring hours to get it done.

FileBot worked perfectly for all but 3 episodes. Worth the six bucks for a year. I've certainly spent more money on less useful stuff.