Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have a bunch of kids shows on my NAS that my kids love to watch. The problem is that each episode/show has a different volume level. What's the best way to normalize/adjust all the files to a similar level? I'm trying to avoid having our speakers blown out when changing episodes, and potentially disrupting nap time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

wandler20 posted:

Not sure if this is the correct thread but it's Plex related so I'm going to ask.

Is there a Raspberry Pi or similar device that runs Plex? Basically I need a Plex client that can connect to a local network with a Plex server without having to use the internet. Roku and FireTV just will not work correctly unless you have them connected to the internet.

I run it on a RPi4 (previously a 3B) but they're in such high demand right now it would probably be cheaper to use an HP EliteDesk or something.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Gyshall posted:

I have a bunch of kids shows on my NAS that my kids love to watch. The problem is that each episode/show has a different volume level. What's the best way to normalize/adjust all the files to a similar level? I'm trying to avoid having our speakers blown out when changing episodes, and potentially disrupting nap time.

Try Normalize Audio https://support.plex.tv/articles/audio-configuration/

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Thanks, but doesn't look like this works on Android/apple tv?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
It does. read the docs

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Gyshall posted:

Thanks, but doesn't look like this works on Android/apple tv?

Stupid SEO/cookie bullshit reading my user agent (a MBP) and sending me to the Mac page.

But yeah, it should apply to any client.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

wandler20 posted:

Basically I'm trying to setup 3 different tv's (at a remote cabin with no internet available) and I'd prefer not to have something so large in each space.

The smallest form factors of the Optiplex, EliteDesk, and ThinkCentre are smaller than a Nintendo Wii and you can even find VESA mounts for them to attach them to the back of TV's and Monitors (Honestly you could probably even just stick them on with tape or velcro, they're that small/light). Sure they are bigger than a Pi in an enclosure but they're still pretty small.

The Pi 4 and 3b will certainly work for this, but like cruft said, they're in such high demand right now that even if you can find them in stock they're often a fair amount more expensive than the above.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Scruff McGruff posted:

The smallest form factors of the Optiplex, EliteDesk, and ThinkCentre are smaller than a Nintendo Wii and you can even find VESA mounts for them to attach them to the back of TV's and Monitors (Honestly you could probably even just stick them on with tape or velcro, they're that small/light). Sure they are bigger than a Pi in an enclosure but they're still pretty small.

The Pi 4 and 3b will certainly work for this, but like cruft said, they're in such high demand right now that even if you can find them in stock they're often a fair amount more expensive than the above.

Ah, I didn't realize they were that small. I'll have to look into that because that would probably be the easiest way to accomplish what I'm trying to do.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

wandler20 posted:

Ah, I didn't realize they were that small. I'll have to look into that because that would probably be the easiest way to accomplish what I'm trying to do.

Yeah, they're tiny thin clients you can find in the $80-$150+ range used/refurbished on eBay if you look hard enough. Here's a search link for Lenovo's M93P https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...p+SSD&_osacat=0

I forget what HPs or Dell's equivalent model numbers/names are, but they both make similar thin clients that you might be able to find for about as much or maybe even cheaper on ebay depending on the specs.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
For Dell it's an Optiplex Micro, at least on the business side of things. I have one running as my plex server and it's been super solid.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Have subtitles messed up again? I'm trying to watch a movie with non-English subs from subscene. I can select the external SRT subtitle but they do not appear during playback. If I change 'burn sustiles' from 'Automatic' to 'Always' the video doesn't even start - I just get the loading spinner.

fake edit: works fine in Kodi

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
My plex has had a weird bug/error for quite some time now. Everything appears to work right but on the settings page it flashes that remote access is green and then after about a second it turns and stays red. I seem to always be able to connect remotely fine, though so I don't know why it incorrectly reports.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I'm looking for a better Plex client for my older LG OLED 65 E6. My existing client is an nvidia Shield 2017. It has some problems with 4k where it'll flash to black or sometimes just stay black. I pretty much watch YouTube and Plex on it.

If there's a better thread, let me know.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Boner Wad posted:

I'm looking for a better Plex client for my older LG OLED 65 E6. My existing client is an nvidia Shield 2017. It has some problems with 4k where it'll flash to black or sometimes just stay black. I pretty much watch YouTube and Plex on it.

The Shield is considered one of the best. Are you anti-Apple? Do you care about TrueHD passthrough? If not, get an Apple TV. Plex definitely prioritizes the AppleTV app, and you can also mess around with other frontends like Infuse.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Gay Retard posted:

The Shield is considered one of the best. Are you anti-Apple? Do you care about TrueHD passthrough? If not, get an Apple TV. Plex definitely prioritizes the AppleTV app, and you can also mess around with other frontends like Infuse.

Agreed. Other than format support, the ATV 4K is far and away the most stable and responsive plex client. The shield app has come a long way in the past year, but its still a bit more flaky overall.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Due to the way Apple, Google, and Amazon encourage lock you into their fiefdom, I suspect not many people can comment on devices out of their fiefdom.

I'm in the Google fiefdom and the Chromecast with Google TV is just great, especially after I replaced the stock launcher with F-Launcher and got rid of all the ads. My dad has an Amazon Fire TV Stick HD, which is also splendid, but you can't replace the launcher (although you can kludge in a different one).

Both the Google and Amazon devices have native H.265 decoding at 4k, which is what allows me to serve content from a Raspberry Pi.

cruft fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 11, 2022

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

cruft posted:

Google TV is just great, especially after I replaced the stock launcher with F-Launcher and got rid of all the ads.

lmao

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I don't get it: can you help me understand why that's funny?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m guessing that you shouldn’t have to do that to make a device palatable.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m guessing that you shouldn’t have to do that to make a device palatable.

Ah. Well, the Apple TV is $200 at Best Buy, and the Chromecast is $50. I went with the one that was less expensive and allowed me to tweak it into what I wanted.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Plex is now the only app we use on two Android TVs and a couple of GTVcc dongles. All runs fine here. The slowest of the lot is a low end TCL bedroom TV but it's not buggy, just slow. The GTV dongles are on par with the X90H all being very responsive. Have only had a few things refuse to play natively codec wise, not enough to notice.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I will fully admit that I don't do any 4K content (because I have users who refuse to turn off transcoding and transcoding 4K to 2Mbps 720p makes my Xeons cry) but I've had consistently good results with telling people to get either a Roku or a Fire TV device. Most of them end up going with the Roku and it's what I use at home as well.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I'm partial to the RokuOS, but I haven't used any of their 4k sticks so I can't speak for them specifically.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I just keep the very small amount of content I like in 4k in a seperate library that I don't share with remote users. Having an extra 6gb 1080p version for remote users doesn't bother me much.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Roku TVs and probably most Roku boxes aren't capable of playing lossless remuxed 4K blu-ray rips that average around a ~75-90Mbps bitrate. Most Roku devices only have 100Mbps ethernet and streaming 4K blu-ray remuxes over WiFi is a challenge. They're fine for playing 4K from whatever streaming platform though with their optimized bitrates and whatnot. I'm certain Apple TV 4K devices can play crazy bitrate 4K blu-ray remuxes no problem, if not through Plex, then most likely through Infuse.

[edit] I tried playing a 90 second 1.1GB ~95Mbps bitrate 4K IMAX trailer for Avatar The Way of Water on my 4K TV through Plex on several Roku devices and they all were having stuttering issues. I could only play it from a secondary HTPC I have lol. I'll probably pick up the current gen Apple TV 4K to be the main player in my humble setup eventually.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 12, 2022

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Boner Wad posted:

Apple TV with infuse linked to plex

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

cruft posted:

Ah. Well, the Apple TV is $200 at Best Buy, and the Chromecast is $50. I went with the one that was less expensive and allowed me to tweak it into what I wanted.

Yeah but now you have to worry about every random Google update breaking your device or putting ads back on or just having security vulnerabilities on your device that you just want to play some Bojack Horseman on. At some point you just say gently caress it because it's not worth the hassle.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Gay Retard posted:

I'm pretty agnostic. I went ahead and bought an Apple TV 4K, they are on sale. I can try it out and if it has the same problem I will return it. I'm slightly concerned that it's something to do with my TV/cables/etc rather than the actual device though.

Why do so many people say to use Infuse? What's so great about it?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Inept posted:

Yeah but now you have to worry about every random Google update breaking your device or putting ads back on or just having security vulnerabilities on your device that you just want to play some Bojack Horseman on. At some point you just say gently caress it because it's not worth the hassle.

We don't need to get into inter-fiefdom warfare in this thread, but I'll just say that I've never seen Google push an update to force the launcher back, and they have one of the best security update track records going right now.

Amazon, I have seen push an update to disable 3rd party launchers. There are still ways to get a new launcher, but they're sort of kludgy.

Some folks may decide they don't mind the ads for streaming services they don't have, since it's just a second or two before they launch Plex.

If you're in the Apple ecosystem and think their device is worth what they're charging, that's great. But not everyone is, and if those people have questions I'm happy to help them out.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Boner Wad posted:

Why do so many people say to use Infuse? What's so great about it?

Infuse includes some extra compatibility for weird file formats and codecs.

If you don’t need that, the regular Plex app for AppleTV will work for nearly anything.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I would also say that if you like tinkering with tech, now's a good time to look into setting up PiHole on your network. Not that it's a perfect solution, I know there have been times where I think both Google and Amazon have, in the past, made it so that their devices won't work at all if they can't reach their ad-serving CDNs.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Main reason for Android TV based TV/box: https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTubeNext

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I guess I should clarify what I mean by ads, and the procedure for "removing" them.

Google, Amazon, and NVidia's devices show you stuff they think you'll be interested in, available on streaming services you don't subscribe to. This is mixed in with content available on services you do subscribe to, including Plex. These are the ads.

I find this annoying, but lots of people don't seem to mind it, and I guess some even like it. If you don't mind it, you can get a $50 device that does native decoding of H.265 and has Plex in the app store. If you do mind it, you can do a little hacking to fix it up.

With the Google and NVidia devices, you can install a new app such as f-launcher, available in the app store, that only shows your apps. Running it at boot instead of the built in home screen launcher requires turning on developer mode, and running two adb commands from a network connected computer. It's documented on the f-launcher home page.

On the Fire stick, you need to install some app that waits a bit after boot and then runs f-launcher (or whatever you prefer). Amazon's app store doesn't allow these things so you have to sideload them, which is an additional download and adb command.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

If I were younger I'd be down to tinker with whatever streamer box with custom launchers and remove ads and all that stuff. But I'm old now and don't give a poo poo and just want things to work right away.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Yeah I don't even notice the ads to be honest nor have I tried to turn it off, I just go straight to the app shortcuts bar.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

IOwnCalculus posted:

I will fully admit that I don't do any 4K content (because I have users who refuse to turn off transcoding and transcoding 4K to 2Mbps 720p makes my Xeons cry) but I've had consistently good results with telling people to get either a Roku or a Fire TV device. Most of them end up going with the Roku and it's what I use at home as well.

No hardware encoding? Getting that made all the difference with 4k streaming for me.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

teagone posted:

If I were younger I'd be down to tinker with whatever streamer box with custom launchers and remove ads and all that stuff. But I'm old now and don't give a poo poo and just want things to work right away.

It was easy enough to do once, but right on the edge of tinkering for me.

I have to do IT all day at work, I dont want to come home and do more.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

cruft posted:

I guess I should clarify what I mean by ads, and the procedure for "removing" them.

Google, Amazon, and NVidia's devices show you stuff they think you'll be interested in, available on streaming services you don't subscribe to. This is mixed in with content available on services you do subscribe to, including Plex. These are the ads.

and now with Plex's new "Discover" section, even Plex is showing results for content a person searches for, even if that content isn't available on Plex.

It's certainly a balance, though - I don't want to be bombarded with a bunch of content I don't have access to, but I don't mind being able to quickly navigate to another streaming app because the content I searched for isn't available on Plex.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

It just dawned on me that for the same price as our Netflix Basic plan, we can go back to their DVD/Blu-ray plan, and get Star Trek, Disney stuff, Netflix stuff, HBO stuff, Amazon stuff, and oddball stuff that got eaten up by dinky things like Peacock. That would cost over five times as much to stream.

Way to go, everybody, you ruined streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

e.pilot posted:

No hardware encoding? Getting that made all the difference with 4k streaming for me.

Nope, my server has dual Xeon E5-2667 V2s so no shortage of just straight compute, but absolutely no hardware-accelerated video decoding/encoding.

I only just recently got a 4K TV myself and it's in my bedroom so I'm still in no rush to sort out 4K content (and when I do, it'll be in a separate library). If GPU prices weren't... what they are I could add one to the box, but at this point it'd be cheaper to try and figure out how to cram a super-small-form-factor system with QuickSync into it.