Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Nocheez, have you tried this:
https://forums.plex.tv/t/possible-to-reset-plex-settings-but-not-media-information/147648/3

odiv posted:

Copied everything over and got the libraries, but not the posters
So apparently this is a known thing and the documentation tells you to do something that just results in you losing all your matches and stuff? That's annoying. I'm not sure I want to edit the database, I might just go and fix matches later, but what a hassle.

Here's where I found that out. https://forums.plex.tv/t/howto-plex-database-modification-moving-media-the-right-wrong-way/126701

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

odiv posted:

Nocheez, have you tried this:
https://forums.plex.tv/t/possible-to-reset-plex-settings-but-not-media-information/147648/3

So apparently this is a known thing and the documentation tells you to do something that just results in you losing all your matches and stuff? That's annoying. I'm not sure I want to edit the database, I might just go and fix matches later, but what a hassle.

Here's where I found that out. https://forums.plex.tv/t/howto-plex-database-modification-moving-media-the-right-wrong-way/126701

I have not. Thank you! I'll give it a shot when I can get a little bit of time later.

Edit: that was way easier than I expected, and it seems to have resolved my issue. Thank you!!!

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 5, 2020

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
I found a 50ft network cord in a box in my garage and plugged the Roku TV directly into my router, and the "stuck at 13%" problem went away. :-(

I guess I'm just going to have to run a cord to the TV whenever I want to watch a movie. Frustrating because Youtube at 4k doesn't have this problem. Oh well, you get what you pay for.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Is there a good guide/product out there for ripping DVDs targeted at tagging them for Plex? I'm still trying to figure out what my server solution is going to be, but i'd like an idea of what my lift is going to be to get all 20 seasons of Law & Order into it

Thanks

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

SA Forums Poster posted:

I found a 50ft network cord in a box in my garage and plugged the Roku TV directly into my router, and the "stuck at 13%" problem went away. :-(

I guess I'm just going to have to run a cord to the TV whenever I want to watch a movie. Frustrating because Youtube at 4k doesn't have this problem. Oh well, you get what you pay for.

You never gave any details on your setup, like what kind of server you were running Plex on, your settings, wifi details, etc. The fact that you can play things from Youtube, etc. has very little to do with it and you shouldn't rule out connectivity issues because of it. For example there's obviously a problem with your Roku Plex client reaching your Plex server via your wifi but without further details it's impossible to say what.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Content from YouTube is also optimized for streaming. Whatever rips you have for your Plex server likely aren't.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ixian posted:

You never gave any details on your setup, like what kind of server you were running Plex on, your settings, wifi details, etc. The fact that you can play things from Youtube, etc. has very little to do with it and you shouldn't rule out connectivity issues because of it. For example there's obviously a problem with your Roku Plex client reaching your Plex server via your wifi but without further details it's impossible to say what.

I'm going to say there is a 50% chance the plex server is also connected via wireless on the same AP so streaming to a wireless device is effectively doubling the bandwidth requirements.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

Ixian posted:

Streaming server is my home PC:
Wired directly to router
i7-6700 @ 3.4 GHz
32GB RAM
Wifi router has Modes: B/G/N and AC/N available
All movies are on a dedicated media hard drive.

Plex server is default settings?
Transcoder quality: Make my CPU hurt
Background transcoding x264 preset: Slower
Maximum simultaneous video transcode: unlimited

What else can I add?
My TV has Roku built in, is about 20-30ft away, through one wall and a hallway. The wifi on my cell phone works way farther than the TV.

Sometimes the TV will play the movie, if you start stop/ start stop/ start stop, over and over, it will eventually get past the stuck at 13% loading.

SA Forums Poster fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 6, 2020

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Alright, I'm having a media matching issue again. I have two servers running in two different locations, and they have the same movie library. The newer server is pulling metadata upon successful matches, while the older one (my original PMS, which has been running for ~4 years) is not, even when files are manually matched to DB entries. This started recently (over the past month or so) and it's obviously not a [remote] DB issue, because again the second server is working normally. So what is preventing my original PMS from displaying metadata for new files? (This is effecting all new movie files at this point.)

I just wanted to point out that, apparently, another cycle of this has completed itself. So after about two months, one server of mine went from being unable to match titles or pull metadata to more or less working normally again. This is the 2nd or 3rd time it's done this, and I haven't been able to do anything to fix it (other than going through server updates.) In the interim, I was able to get a few, random titles matched, but still had trouble getting anything other than one poster attached to the entry, and now I was able to get every outstanding title matched up and pull metadata for all of them. It still doesn't seem to be displaying background art, but I can change the poster at will. (Also, TV entries have been unaffected this whole time, and my 2nd server has worked normally this whole time, with the same software versions and media libraries.) :shrug:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Have you tried direct play and various transcoded bit rates?

Just to rule out the wireless reception, can you try with the wifi router right next to your TV?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I got into Plex about a week ago and immediately shifted from using Kodi as my media center on my Nvidia Shield. However, I might be abandoning that because whenever I try and play a video with subtitles it just craps out. "An error occurred while attempting to play this video. Please try restarting both the Plex Media Server and this app".

Affected videos play fine in the web interface, my Win 10 PC and if I initially play them with subtitles disabled. However, if I leave subs on by default, or turn them on once the video is playing, I get that error on my Shield, my phone and my tablet.

I have tried running 'Analyze' on the affected shows to no avail. No error logs or anything either.

I should note that these play perfectly fine on the Shield in Kodi.

Has anyone else come across this issue? It's kind of astounding to my a bug this major has not been fixed.

Update: The Plex addon in Kodi totally works

Update 2: Disabling the new player in the advanced section of the app settings seems to work. Unfortunately this setting doesn't seem to exist in the mobile app.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 11, 2020

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Yes the plex update that happened sometime in march hosed everything up. Plex forums everywhere are lit up. Especially those with android based clients.

I have a ftv, atv4K, atv, and a android tv box. Appletv is ok, but i need to have the conversion set to automatic. Direct play is hosed.

Hopefully they sort it out soon. Other option is to downgrade to an older server release. Like january.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Mine has been freezing at odd times, and sometimes when it starts moving again the banner at the bottom and loading circle won't go away. It's pretty frustrating considering how much we use it during this isolation period.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Nocheez posted:

Mine has been freezing at odd times, and sometimes when it starts moving again the banner at the bottom and loading circle won't go away. It's pretty frustrating considering how much we use it during this isolation period.

Odd freezing happens sometimes if you have your server set to boot people off if they have been paused for a certain amount of time. the software doesn't seem to always get the difference between playing and paused and it'll boot even local users off after a few minutes.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Delzuma posted:

Odd freezing happens sometimes if you have your server set to boot people off if they have been paused for a certain amount of time. the software doesn't seem to always get the difference between playing and paused and it'll boot even local users off after a few minutes.

I don't believe this is my issue, as I usually only have 1 or 2 streams going at a time.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I just suddenly started having issues as well. Last night I watching SNL through my HD Homerun and as soon as it was over it started stuttering and loading in .5-ish second increments. Now I can't play any media as it is continually loading. No users on the server but me, this is only happening on the web, as my iPad is working fine.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I just did the most recent server update and my issue seems to be resolved.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Nocheez posted:

That's good to hear. I'm using a docker on UnRaid so need to wait for Binhex to update his build. At least it's working on the iPad and presumably my ATV so I should be good to wait this out.

e: Not a Plex issue. Looks like I'm having an issue with media playback on Windows. On both Firefox and Chrome nothing would play until I rebooted. YouTube, Twitter Video, Apple Music from iTunes, Plex, etc. Strange

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 12, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nocheez posted:

I haven't updated since the pandemic started spreading outside China. It works now and I don't want to be trapped at home troubleshooting bullshit plex issues.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

TraderStav posted:

I just suddenly started having issues as well. Last night I watching SNL

That was Plex trying to do you a favor and now it's probably just stuck.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Plex died for your sins, on Easter no less.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is it just me who is finding Plex really struggling to match any shows with a colon in the name, of which there's been an abundance of lately (seems a popular naming schema to use for documentary type shows). Obviously can't include it in the filenames, and the API just doesn't seem to auto match things without it for some reason. Given the scoring system it uses, you'd think it wouldn't be an issue but it seems to be.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm staring at the custom notifications in Tautulli and I can't seem to make heads or tails of how to do this - is there any way to specifically trigger a notification when my server isn't streaming anything? Figure that's a good time to push through some overdue updates :v:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is it just me who is finding Plex really struggling to match any shows with a colon in the name, of which there's been an abundance of lately (seems a popular naming schema to use for documentary type shows). Obviously can't include it in the filenames, and the API just doesn't seem to auto match things without it for some reason. Given the scoring system it uses, you'd think it wouldn't be an issue but it seems to be.

hahahahaha this poo poo drives me crazy

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The new player refuses to play my rip of Alice in Wonderland. The old player plays it fine. This is infuriating me.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Can finally retire tautulli

https://techcrunch.com/2020/04/16/media-software-maker-plex-launches-new-subscriber-only-apps-for-music-and-server-management/

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Hot take: Is this what they've been doing instead of responding to support requests or fixing the 'new' player?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve got Tautulli, Dash, and Varys all running side by side right now. If they expand what Plex can report on (which Dash and Varys both use), then Tautulli mights well close. There’s enough stuff it can do that the others can’t though, rap with regards to historical reporting of stream/transcoding and library filtering, that I’ll keep it for now.

nexus6 posted:

Hot take: Is this what they've been doing instead of responding to support requests or fixing the 'new' player?

We call this the plex business model.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Not until the new thing sends me email alerts. It is nice on checking status from my iPad though.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

meh. the new plex dash is nice for remote monitoring when i am away, but i still like tautulli.

Plexamp app is much appreciated on my phone now instead of using regular plex app while in the car, much nicer UI and gets right to what i want while in the car and all the new mix builder and other radios it offers now.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Being able to remotely update libraries on your server is a pretty big deal to me. This is great.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I think they both have their place. Tautulli can send notifications out to other apps (I use Pushover) so I know if my server has gone down or if someone is buffering. It also gives me the location of the users stream via IP address, all things Dash I don't think can do.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Nah, Tautulli has web hook triggers that let me dim the lights and turn on my light strip behind my TV whenever I watch something. Better graphs/stats, too.

I won't complain about Dash, though - it looks pretty cool. They should do something with Now Playing - it's useless when nothing as playing, and should show the Server Graphs located in Settings > Server Graphs at the top or something.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 17, 2020

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I'm getting pretty annoyed at seeing "An error occurred while attempting to play this video. Please try restarting both the Plex Media Server and this app." when the video plays fine in both the web interface and Kodi on the same loving device. Is there an error log somewhere I can look at? This is on my Nvidia Shield btw.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

nexus6 posted:

I'm getting pretty annoyed at seeing "An error occurred while attempting to play this video. Please try restarting both the Plex Media Server and this app." when the video plays fine in both the web interface and Kodi on the same loving device. Is there an error log somewhere I can look at? This is on my Nvidia Shield btw.

Plex knows about the issue and it will be resolved in The upcoming 7.3 android player release. In the meantime, Try turning off the “new video player” in settings, disable audio pass through, Nd make sure the h264 level isnt set to 1.

Basically, the last android player release defaulted all the settings to poo poo.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/an-error-o...this-app/544636

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 21, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does anyone know why I keep getting "An error occurred while attempting to play this video." when streaming HDR10 content from my plex server to my Amazon 4k Fire TV stick?

I'm getting really loving frustrated with this.

Sometimes, it happens with some 1080p media.

The only thing that works consistently is to keep retrying and sometimes on the 10th or 30th try it works.

Choosing the new or old player or restarting the server/app doesn't do poo poo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Look up.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't have an Shield, you're saying this applies to Fire Sticks too?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes, they're both Android systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Cornjob posted:

Plex knows about the issue and it will be resolved in The upcoming 7.3 android player release. In the meantime, Try turning off the “new video player” in settings, disable audio pass through, Nd make sure the h264 level isnt set to 1.

Basically, the last android player release defaulted all the settings to poo poo.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/an-error-o...this-app/544636

Thanks. I just noticed that, while keeping my other settings, it reverted back to using the new player even after I said I didn't want to. Setting it back to the old player works.