Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
That's the thing. I didn't use any guide to get offline mode working, and it's only working on my Android devices. My old TVs with webos it will not work on, so clearly it has something to do with the player app, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
always worked for me

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Really? That's odd because there's thousands of posts of people asking for the feature. Also I am 100% certain when I lost my internet last month it didn't work and this month it did. Without me doing anything different

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It can depend on your router and devices. If your machine loses its IP when the router goes down/offline (somewhat typical for ISP routers) then the whitelisting isn't going to do anything.
It works fine on my machines using assigned IPs.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just got a 4k TV and was all excited, grabbed the latest and greatest version of the Lord of the Rings in 4k. But it seems like my lil mini PC plex server just cant handle playing it without stuttering and pauses.

Its an old i5 with 8 Gb of RAM and onboard video. Its played everything else just fine. Am I better off actually buying a BluRay 4k player for the few 4k movies I want to watch? Do I just need a beefier PC to host my Plex server? Something with a dedicated graphics card?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

How old is old because saying it's an i5 doesn't really say much. The CPU is generally where the video decoding happens so I doubt the onboard graphics are the issue.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Its probably 6-7 years old at this point.

So newer CPU would likely help. Trying to decide if I want to "future proof" by building a new little server to run plex/sonarr/sab/etc or just buy a 4k bluray player and be done with it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I'm reading your post as "my server is this old i5, my player is built into my new TV" which makes the most likely cause of stuttering not enough bandwidth between the two, particularly if this is some high bitrate remux.
PLEX is just a network protocol when in directplay mode.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Its probably 6-7 years old at this point.

So newer CPU would likely help. Trying to decide if I want to "future proof" by building a new little server to run plex/sonarr/sab/etc or just buy a 4k bluray player and be done with it.

Lets not jump the gun, lol. Are you using a Plex app on the 4K TV? Or are you using the i5-based PC as both the server/client connected to the TV? Is the 4K video you're trying to stream being transcoded? There's plenty of variables to consider before just buying new stuff.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sorry for being vague. Here is my complete setup:
Player - Nvidia Shield Media Tube thingy, purchased 2021.
Server - Lenovo M73
i5-4590 2 Ghz
8 GB ram
Xeon E3-12-- v3/4th gen core integrated graphics

All of these are hard wired ethernet cat 5e through my Ubiquiti router/switch, playing locally.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Server shouldn't have any issue really, as long as it's not trying to transcode for some reason. Make sure the player has it's quality settings set to direct play and have the browser version of plex open with the stream info up to confirm that's what it's doing. I remember hearing mutterings about issues with the Tube but I can't remember what they were and if they were something that would affect this kind of playback or not, though.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Turn off automatically adjust quality setting, those specs are way more than enough to direct play 4K HDR

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just had one other thought, I was storing the 4k movies on an old USB3 external drive. Going to move it over to the onboard SSD and see if that makes a difference as well.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just had one other thought, I was storing the 4k movies on an old USB3 external drive. Going to move it over to the onboard SSD and see if that makes a difference as well.

I doubt it, even if it was an external HDD, don't those usually transfer above 100MB/s? Worth a shot though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It shouldn't. Check to make sure the video isn't being transcoded under the activity dashboard. Top right on the web app when you're playing the 4K video from your server.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's the usual plex issue way: receive actual known fixes to issues, instead try to resolve using one you've made up.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's the usual plex home lab issue way: receive actual known fixes to issues, instead try to resolve using one you've made up by buying more hardware.
It happens to the best of us.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's the usual plex issue way: receive actual known fixes to issues, instead try to resolve using one you've made up.

Hey I resemble that remark!

Happy to save money on this. I'm still having an issue playing the file, and wonder if its just an issue with this one file, going to pull another 4k movie and test.

Here is what I see for settings as I play the movie:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The web client is a piece of poo poo, I use the plex application and have no problems (on PC).

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
You want original/maximum on the player not convert. Click show all

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Hey I resemble that remark!

Happy to save money on this. I'm still having an issue playing the file, and wonder if its just an issue with this one file, going to pull another 4k movie and test.

Here is what I see for settings as I play the movie:

Convert = Transcode

You don't want that. Especially with 4K video at silly bitrates. Your i5 is dying trying to convert that, lol. Click on 'Show All' at the bottom and play original quailty.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
I could have sworn I just

Ah well

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

OK more testing.

So no option for Play Original in web client, probably isnt supported who knows.

Playback on Plex app on Shield does have play original, and it plays much better but not perfectly. Thinking that if I just pause and let it buffer for a bit it would play fine.

So thank you thread! Sorry for the confusion but I was using the web player as my second test player and didnt realize it just didnt have a play original setting.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Playback on Plex app on Shield does have play original, and it plays much better but not perfectly. Thinking that if I just pause and let it buffer for a bit it would play fine.

If your shield is on wifi and has a poor signal, it can struggle with high bitrate content.

Crime on a Dime posted:

I could have sworn I just

Ah well

You should have read this guy's thread when he wanted to buy a houseboat to live in during the winter in Minnesota.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Inept posted:

If your shield is on wifi and has a poor signal, it can struggle with high bitrate content.

You should have read this guy's thread when he wanted to buy a houseboat to live in during the winter in Minnesota.

No wired connection, so thats not the issue. Pretty sure its just an occasional issue with the shield player itself, there are some HDR settings I may mess with and see if that stops the occasional hiccup I see.

Inept posted:

What about it?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

OK more testing.

So no option for Play Original in web client, probably isnt supported who knows.

So thank you thread! Sorry for the confusion but I was using the web player as my second test player and didnt realize it just didnt have a play original setting.

4K video is usually x265 (and I think it always is if it's HDR) which isn't supported for direct play in the web client, only x264 is.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I recalled earlier that the Tube seemed to be plagued with issues, and high bitrate content seemed to be one of those things. Sounds like adjusting the H264 level (despite these being H265 files) has helped at least a few people - https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/pjr37l/plex_4k_playback_on_nvidia_shield_tube_2019/

Worth a shot even if it doesn't make much logical sense, it's quite an old thread though so this might've been included in a bug fix release since.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

What about it?

Ignoring advice etc.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Worth a shot even if it doesn't make much logical sense, it's quite an old thread though so this might've been included in a bug fix release since.

This was it!!!! Totally fixed the issue with that movie and havent seen any issues otherwise. Thank you so much!

I had seen a similar thread discussing the same issue and thought it may have been something with HDR settings. Glad to see I can quit mucking around with this now. Thanks again.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Inept posted:

Ignoring advice etc.

Im not sure what advice I ignored? I checked all the settings recommended and found they didnt need to change, that the web player wasnt applicable. So go pound sand I guess? Again not sure what advice I ignored.

In any event the thread EL Bromance linked to was my issue, though Im on a client release past that version listed seems like its still an issue.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I recalled earlier that the Tube seemed to be plagued with issues, and high bitrate content seemed to be one of those things. Sounds like adjusting the H264 level (despite these being H265 files) has helped at least a few people - https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/pjr37l/plex_4k_playback_on_nvidia_shield_tube_2019/

That is hilarious. GG Plex.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

On pc/mac/linux use webplayer+https://github.com/iwalton3/plex-mpv-shim

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Or just like, install the free native app that will direct play 99.999% of content.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

I'm guessing it's for people like me who can't install programs on their work computers

The web version of Plex has always and still refuses to play mpeg2 stuff even though the app does just fine. I'm not losing picture quality on my pristine raw rips just because the Plex web version sucks though!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Not sure if this is the correct thread but it's Plex related so I'm going to ask.

Is there a Raspberry Pi or similar device that runs Plex? Basically I need a Plex client that can connect to a local network with a Plex server without having to use the internet. Roku and FireTV just will not work correctly unless you have them connected to the internet.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Blooster posted:

I'm guessing it's for people like me who can't install programs on their work computers

You poor soul. I'd be so much slower at my job if I couldn't install a bunch of tools I use to do my job more efficiently. I'd be lost without Cleanshot, Alfred, and BetterTouchTools.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

wandler20 posted:

Not sure if this is the correct thread but it's Plex related so I'm going to ask.

Is there a Raspberry Pi or similar device that runs Plex? Basically I need a Plex client that can connect to a local network with a Plex server without having to use the internet. Roku and FireTV just will not work correctly unless you have them connected to the internet.

Honestly, I'd say just get a cheap USFF workstation from ebay like this Optiplex. Gives you all the I/O you could want, the option to use whatever OS you want, and even adding in a USB wifi receiver it'll probably still cost the same or less than a Pi3/4.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wandler20 posted:

Roku and FireTV just will not work correctly unless you have them connected to the internet.

I don't know anything about the particulars of firetv, but roku plex client works just fine (if the plex server is configured to not require auto for local networks). Unless they've changed that recently.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I haven't messed with a standalone roku in awhile but back then my experience was that the plex app itself works fine but the roku basically wouldn't start up without being connected to the internet (to pull in ads to show you no doubt).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Scruff McGruff posted:

Honestly, I'd say just get a cheap USFF workstation from ebay like this Optiplex. Gives you all the I/O you could want, the option to use whatever OS you want, and even adding in a USB wifi receiver it'll probably still cost the same or less than a Pi3/4.

Basically I'm trying to setup 3 different tv's (at a remote cabin with no internet available) and I'd prefer not to have something so large in each space.

Motronic posted:

I don't know anything about the particulars of firetv, but roku plex client works just fine (if the plex server is configured to not require auto for local networks). Unless they've changed that recently.

The issue is Roku won't connect to the network if the network doesn't have internet. If you connect to the network while you have an internet connection it works fine, even if the connection drops, it'll work for a while having Plex configured as suggested but eventually the Roku will disconnect because it wants that internet connection.

I've been making it work by connecting to my phones hotspot to get it working but it's never reliable and I'd just like a solution where the internet isn't needed, just a local network.