Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Are there any media organizer applications I could use to get my library set up? I wouldn't mind saving some time renaming/refiling the several thousand files I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Roundboy posted:

How screwed up with is screwed up? I found plex has been fairly robust in picking up on things. Unless you like inception folders within folders

All my media files are in one big folder: music, tv, movies :v:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Roundboy posted:

Well time to learn regex :). Anything with S##E## goes in TV. Anything #### goes to movies. I think plex assigns different naming conventions to the folder type specified.

I know about the naming conventions, I guess I should be clearer. Right now I'm doing a lot of cutting and pasting to move each individual file from c:\media to c:\media\movies\movie\ and c:\media\tv shows\show xx\season xx\, and I was wondering if there was something similar to iTunes' library sorting feature for Plex. Just to save me a bunch of folder reorganizing.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Roundboy posted:

There is no need to sort shows by season folder, and I *think* you can even get away with not putting them in show folders either.

At this point I would dump all 100% TV into a single folder and see what plex.TV/web doesn't translate.

But no,plex does not create folder structures for you, that I have found

Well Plex is pretty clear about your media organization, and I did as you suggested last night and because all my media is in one folder that was no sorting by movie/tv show/etc. With quite a few files that makes it tedious to do all the scrolling via tablet or other mobile device.

I know Plex doesn't create those folder structures or have an ability to help auto-sort files, hence my original question :angel:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Roundboy posted:

Sorry, I reread your original question. And no, even Google is wishy washy on returning results to organize video media. I would maintain that any program would need metadata to move based on type and name, but to do that, it needs to correctly parse what the name/type is anyway... So by doing that plex is already there.

I feel your pain though, it seems everyone focuses on music folders and not video

Well, thanks for trying!

teagone posted:

I spent an hour or so organizing about 6TB of files before I loaded them into Plex libraries. Tedious as gently caress, but worth it in the end because I barely had any incorrect matches pulled from the database agents.

I'm in the process of doing that right now :sigh: