Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Diddler posted:

Has anyone gotten intro skipping to work yet? I updated my server to the latest version and analyzed my library and it doesn't work on web. Did I miss a step or is it just not great?

https://www.plex.tv/blog/go-ahead-and-skip-that-intro/

When you say web, do you mean the desktop client at your local IP, or the web browser from Plex.TV?

Based on https://support.plex.tv/articles/skip-content/ I don't think the plex.tv player supports it currently. For me, I just had to push the update. The setting was on by default and analyzed by default, then worked properly on my iOS app.

I just wish the button was a little more opaque like Netflix's. Sometimes I like watching the intro but that large bright yellow button is distracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

OK I'm freaking out a little.

For the second time, my on-deck is showing George A. Romero's Knightriders as halfway through, and the file cached. There's no way in hell anyone in my family or one connected friend account selected this and I've changed the password recently. Plex dash is pretty hard to make sense of but I can't see anything odd in there either.

otoh young Ed Harris, hot drat

May check your signed in devices page? Revoke anything you don't like.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Burden posted:

I think it is how the files are named.

Here is how extras should be named.

File name shouldn't matter too much because it's in a sub-directory. It's likely whats said above, with the fact that the folder is named "Scene" instead of "Scenes". Plex is super specific about that poo poo.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Nocheez posted:

I'm so sick of Plex skipping when my wife tries to play anything through Chromecast. It works fine everywhere else, but it was throwing fits last night and driving us crazy...

Just loving work already!

The solve for this is to adjust the bitrate. My LG Smart TV has a Plex app, but if anything is above 1080p @ 8mbps it stutters like crazy.

Check in the section where you can turn subtitles on and off while playing a movie, and just adjust the bitrate down, and it should solve.

Some apps in the general settings *on the chromecast Plex app* even have a "Convert Quality" setting that lets you automate this for everything you watch.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Try xplay for LG TVs. 3rd party client that you have to pay for, but you get a trial. I had better success with it a few years ago when I didn’t have a 4K steaming box for my tv.

I have an older one (probably like 5 years at this point?) and I don’t think it has access to it. It just has access to the lovely LG App Store that no longer supports Hulu or amazon prime.

At this point I’m just waiting for a Apple TV refresh and I’ll pull the trigger on that. My server is also hooked up via HDMI to the same TV, so the app is only for less technical family members + when I’m too lazy to walk 5 feet to pick up my mouse.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

sellouts posted:

What features does the current AppleTV lack for you?

I gotta say it’s perfect for Plex (and everything else) for me.

The thing is hardcore due for a refresh. Last was 2017.

The processor bump it’ll likely get is worth the wait as I don’t have a desperate need for it as I have other options.

I’d rather wait an extra three months to get three more years out of it than pull the trigger now.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

sellouts posted:

Is this a hardware or software problem? They added Atmos via software I’d think bitstream out would be possible. 24p idk.

How does the processor upgrade affect Plex in any way? Isn’t that for their foray into gaming, which this is the Plex thread and also lol.

OSG’s points are fair but the box now is beyond fine for Plex in my experience. I see absolutely no problems or delays or hiccups.

I’m sure the new 4kTV will have Wifi6 which might help those of y’all that aren’t hardwired.

Eh, It'll get used for other poo poo. It's less about Plex performance and more about bang for buck overall. I've been waiting since November for RTX 3080s, I guess I'm happy to just wait

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Looking for some advice - if this isn't the right place I can post this somewhere else.

My current setup is I have a mini PC running Windows 10 that has my Sonarr/Radarr/Jackett/Deluge processes and Plex running on a Nvidia Shield TV. There's an external hard drive connected to the Shield that has my library and is mounted as a network drive so the mini PC can write to it.

This works well in the sense that Sonarr/Radarr have web interfaces that I can manage from anywhere in my network. I'm familiar enough with Windows that it's easy enough to manage the mini PC directly if I need to.

The only annoying thing is that Windows will occasionally download updates and reboot itself without notifying me meaning I've got to plug in a monitor/keyboard and mouse and get everything going again.

I've tried using Ubuntu but tbh I'm not a regular Linux user so I'm not comfortable sorting out issues if/when they come up. Also I've never been able to get remote desktop to work Linux -> Windows (my main PC).

Anyone got any suggestions on improvements here (or where I should post this)?

Having windows auto-login to your account should solve this. Since it;s just a headless media server there shouldn't really be much in the way of security concerns.

You could also set your password to something simple enough to get through with just a keyboard connected, but that feels dumber.

Bonzo posted:

I'm not a Windows 10 user but can you not turn off auto updates? I know Windows server you can but you should be able to do this.

Windows has made it increasingly difficult to turn auto-update off. It can be done but it's annoying, and realistically it's probably best to get updates for security patches anyway.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

nexus6 posted:

RDP just doesn't work. At all. It's been such a pain to try and set up that I just use Teamviewer instead.

All those things are done and it still doesn't work. I can see the PC in the network browser and can even mount network drives, but RDP just does not work.

Edit

What an excellent design choice.

Thanks! I'll look into this

You'd think so but that's even harder than trying to get Windows' own Remote Desktop tool to work between two Windows 10 machines both connected via ethernet into the same drat router.

From what I remember RDP failure is typically firewall and/or router port related, especially when over the local network.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Yeah, maybe if I get the motivation to start again from scratch I will, but for now this is working well enough for me with only occasional minor annoyances.

You should be able to upgrade to pro in place with a license key if I’m not mistaken.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

priznat posted:

Are there any plugins that can take Plex shows/movies that you have rated highly (5stars) and then ensure they are backed up remotely?

I was thinking it would be nice to back up stuff I really like to onedrive or other cloud storage and just have it do that automagically through plex.

Perhaps if the ratings can be parsed by an external application or if the plex plugin produces a csv with all the files/folders of the good stuff.

I don’t know if this kind of plug-in exists, but there’s a third party plug-in “store” for plex called webtools. I’d check there.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Warbird posted:

I’ll give it some thought. 99% of usage these days is me watching stuff I’ve grabbed via my YouTube-dl workflow so no real loss there if I have to wait a hot minute for things to reconfigure. I’m not sharing with anyone either so that’s not really an issue either.

Is your YouTube DL stuff automated? If so I’d love to know the process. It’d be great to setup some kind of automated DL, especially for overwatch league content so I don’t have to deal with YouTube’s garbage app and offline is easier.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

priznat posted:

Totally pointless observation but is the waveform in plexamp player totally useless? It doesn’t really seem to relate to songs with regards to loudness. Not a big deal.

I just want siri integration for 3rd party music players so I can voice control it but that’s an apple thing :sigh:

It's coming to homepod in iOS 14, so I think it works on iOS in general there too.

Edit: I lied. It was introduced in iOS 13, and HomePod gets it in iOS 14.

It's up to app devs to integrate it as it's an API, so you have to yell at Plex if you want it.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 27, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Frank Dillinger posted:

Hello Plex thread!

I need to whip up a media player for the mother-in-laws camping trailer, which is parked outside cell reception, no wifi either.

I was thinking Plex with an external hard drive loaded with the type of shows she likes, but I’m not sure whether Plex is the best option for something like this, or if it will require me to set up a server as well. Is there a better solution here? I’m open to spending a few hundred bucks on this, so long as it is intuitive and doesn’t require me to janitor it constantly.

Thanks!

Plex relies on a server and a local or remote network to function, so it’s probably not what you’re looking for.

Not endorsing this because I have no idea if it’s poo poo or not, but this kind of thing is likely what you’re looking for

http://www.agptek.com/product/agptek-media-player-hd-media-player-mini-hd-tv-player-usb-1080p-hdmi-av-player/

If they haven’t purchased a TV set yet, you might even be able to find a smart TV that can read directly off a USB HDD. You may have file compatibility issues, but once you figure it out it should be very set and forget.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 6, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Tea Bone posted:

I have a show in plex which has US and Australian versions along with the original UK. I have all 3 versions in plex, but it's picking them all up as a single show and just displaying 3 possible versions of each episode (similar to how it would if you have the same episode of a show at different qualities).

I have all three directories named as following:
Show Name (UK)
Show Name (US)
Show Name (AU)

Is there any way I can tell plex to treat each of these directories as separate shows rather than try and merge them all?

Edit: I got them working by renaming to "Show Name - US" and "Show Name - AU", but still interested if there is a way of doing this through plex without going through the directories?

I’m not sure what show you’re talking about, and I know this doesn’t 100% answer your question, but it might come down to the naming scheme of the show. The problem is that these multi-region shows all use a different name formation.

You should look the show up on TVDB and see how it’s named to see how to title your directories.

For example, the show Love Island is

Love Island
Love Island (US)
Love Island Australia
Love Island NZ

The un-regioned one is UK, but since it’s not actually called that plex may have trouble if you add UK.

For Australia, since it’s spelled and and not AU, if you don’t spell it out it may struggle.

For New Zealand, if you put parentheses it may not catch because that version doesn’t have it.

It’s stupid, but the names are too similar for plex to understand without some coaxing.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

My old setup was a DVD player I had to ship from overseas that would play avi files direct burned to a disk.

So much format conversion.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Getting laserdiscs: cool, fun, displayable conversation starter about your favorite movies

Getting a laserdisc player: lame, pointless, fairly cringe, this looks like poo poo on basically all TVs

When I was in college I took some film classes where we watched some 30s-50s era films on laserdisc in a projector/theatre setting.

In that setting, with those films, it looks quite well and certainly watched different that it would on a projected DVD.

A thread about digitally casting content probably isn’t the right place to discuss this, but there is truly a significant difference between digital and analog viewing, especially in a projection environment.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

The real punchline of laserdisc is that the picture wasn't really any better than a decent VHS tape. The sound was better, and it did chapters, but that's about it. The real draw of laserdisc was the cool packaging and the fact that tons of stuff was available in widescreen.

For anyone interested enough in film to invest in laserdisc, the widescreen options were likely enough to make it worth it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

alright, did some experimenting.

first, i added that to the code per the instructions, and it didn't help. the tv client just kept buffering every minute or so.

i then tried the ps4 client, and it worked flawlessly--no buffers for about 2hr. thing is the video quality is noticeably worse. i ensured the video settings in each client matched, and they did. i have no idea why they'd look different? i guess the ps4 video output isn't as good as whatever the tv has inside it?

so i'm not sure where to go from here. i guess what i've determined is the nas is just fine, and whatever issue is because of the machine hosting the client.

I have the same issue with the built in plex app on my LG smart TV. If I play something above 1080p 8mbps bitrate, direct play or transcode, it’ll buffer and stutter like crazy. Anything 8mbps or below plays like a dream.

All my other devices (iOS devices, with a macOS device) do not have this issue, even at bitrates around 24-30mbps or 4K transcodes. It’s just that the TV based Plex apps kinda suck in general.

I see the file you gave us stats for is playing at 15mbps. On your smart TV, during playback, try to lower the bitrate. The option should be where your subtitles live. Go down one notch at a time until your stable, and that’s probably your TVs limit.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Smashing Link posted:

Hi Thread, does anyone know of a way to speed up seeking across a large video file that is being read from a HDD? Even better is there a way to make the Plex server read the whole file into memory when it starts playing and keep it there instead of reading from the HDD?

Could a defrag maybe help? I’d wait for someone else to chime in as I’m not sure.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Yeah, that's what I have. It's a bit confusing, but I'll try.

Movie Library folders:

/me/downloads
/me/movies

TV Shows Library:

/me/downloads/
/me/tv shows

I'm used to getting this problem since I have the "downloads" folder as a source for both libraries. I know it will give me this problem each and every time I download something. The problem I'm having that's somehow not working as it did before is everything after. Usually when I move files out of the downloads folder and into its respective movie or TV folder, I'd hit "Scan Library Files" and then those wrong entries would all disappear. Now, they just don't.

Did some intermediate googling and I do have "Automatically empty trash after each scan" checked.

Plex just doesn’t really like when you have things set up this way.

I know this seems simple, but have you rebooted your server? That might be enough to get things back to the way they were. Either way I’d expect odd behavior like this having a shared directory.

If you insist on having a download directory like that, you might want to consider something like sonarr or Medusa for their post-processing capabilities only. Both of those can move the tv shows at least Into their proper directory automatically.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

I took all of your advice, but this post led me down a small rabbit hole.

I have Sonarr and Radarr set up and it looks like I just never bothered to *properly* set them up. I fixed up the paths and now it should be working well in the future. Going to give it a slight test in a few, so if it goes haywire, I'll drat sure just be back here.

I removed the downloads folder from my sources which yea, ultimately fixed my problem. I will probably keep the automove setup going just so when I don't use Sonarr and Radarr, I can still manually move and find stuff etc.

Thanks all~

I use Medusa, but I have to imagine sonar/radarr works the same way in that it should auto move stuff in your downloads folder, regardless of the source.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Balsa posted:

I'm really looking for something to help filter anime coming down to Sonarr, Im a usenet nerd mostly and if sonarr downloads another loving raw.....

I've been thinking about making a script for postprocess on NZBGet to check if the media file has sub file with english words in it, or OCR the first 5 minutes and see if there is any english on screen...

I don't use usenet, but when you're setting for a specific show it might help to pick a sub group and set that as part of your filter? Just find the release group that releases first each week and use them.

I also know in Medusa you can set ignore words (like raw) which might help if the titles have the word raw in them.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Balsa posted:

Ah, that has become more of a issue as of late, the release groups are all over the place now. I tend to add a anime a few weeks before it airs :(

I would check out HorribleSubs. Their subs aren't super quality, but they're incredibly fast on release time and more than serviceable.

If you're unsure about what group you want to use, most Raw groups put raw in their name. Just add raw to the exclusion list and you'll filter most of it out that way.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Just gonna be a giant soggy dipshit about this huh

I mean he’s correct so...

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

univbee posted:

Oh yeah, you need what are often referred to as “forced” subtitles. Yeah, that’s annoying to prep especially if you’re not intimately familiar with the movie/show. I wish MKV had a standard where you can say “if I enable English audio I want this subtitle track auto-enabled.” I’ve taken to doing burn-in renders, especially for movies where the subtitles have a specific look (Avatar being an obvious example). But that’s inconsistent too, some Blu-rays have a separate sub track for forced subs, some just have one subtitle track where certain lines have a “forced” flag enabled.

I kind of wish the French closed captioning system caught on elsewhere since subtitles are color-coded based on what they are which makes pulling only certain things a snap (it’s something like white is on-screen speaker, yellow is off-screen speaker, red is sound effects and green is speaking in a foreign language).

Plex has this. I forget if it’s server or client side, but you can set it to play x subtitles always when x language audio is selected (especially helpful with anime).

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sand Monster posted:

How do I configure my Apple TV to force direct play and not allow it to transcode? In the video playback I am selecting a quality above that of the original source file that I am trying to play, but it's still transcoding down to a SD version.

There should be a source or original option.

It’s also possible the Apple TV can’t play the format you’re using and it has to transcode. That is player dependent.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

I quite liked the cover art for 'Les Boys'

How do I force Plex to pick up 'The Third Day' (awesome Jude Law Wickerman). Its on tvdb but my only guess why it won't is the slightly unusual 3 part name format.

Find it on tvdb and in search paste the identifier #

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

madsushi posted:

Sonarr is not very good at anime, unfortunately. Sonarr's assumed episode numbering/naming scheme does not mesh with anime, especially for sources that use absolute numbering (e.g. "ep 25" would be "s02e01" in the West). FileBot can help here, if you use that to rename things into a format that matches Sonarr's metadata provider.

Does sonarr not have absolute numbering or anime support? Medusa works well with anime in that regard (there’s an “anime” toggle for each show), so I’m super surprised sonarr doesn’t support it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Doing some super brief research (and I mean super brief) most people I saw seem to report that ensuring a show is marked anime AND using jackett as your indexer for anime sites instead of sonarr directly fixes most problems. Not all but most. It does seem like sonarr does support an anime mode.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Laslow posted:

It reports you to the relevant authorities for monitoring.

J/k I have to sort anime for my wife and it’s a god drat nightmare as someone who knows nothing about anime series’s.

If you’re talking about Plex, there is an agent that can make it significantly less painful. It’s a bit of a pain in the rear end to get working, but it really fixes a lot of the pain of TVDBs poo poo.

https://github.com/ZeroQI/Hama.bundle

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Are you 100% sure auto play is off on the iOS settings? Toggles like to flip on app updates.

If it is on I’d toggle it again, then uninstall the app and reinstall it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lawen posted:

Yeah, the problem that I've seen though is that it'll do too many incremental quality upgrades. I don't need it to grab the 720 HDTV then an hour later replace that with the 1080 HDTV and replace that the next day with a 1080 WebRip and then 10 months later finally replace that with a BluRay rip. It'd be nice if I could set the current season to use my "Initial" quality profile to just grab whatever decent rip gets posted first and not bother to upgrade it (unless there's a Proper) but then toggle older seasons to my "Archive" quality profile so they'll automatically upgrade to higher quality.

It seems like a good solution might be to set your initial to 1080p. That way the only upgrade you’ll get is either a proper or a Blu-ray.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Anyone know if there's a way to adjust video/audio playback sync in Plex? Few things are greater mood-killers than firing up a movie I know isn't on streaming services and hearing the audio noticeably out of sync.

I don’t know your player, but if it’s a roku this seems to be common when video is trandcoded and audio is not.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/audio-out-of-sync/231869

The fix seems to be selecting any quality other than original, or rewinding a half second and quickly hitting play.

For manual audio offset, that’ll depend on your player. Here are the details for the web/windows player, but it’s likely different or impossible on other players.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/208052807-controlling-the-app/

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Wait, now do you do that per show? TVDB absolutely ruins all of my Beavis and Butthead and Ren and Stimpy episodes and I'd rather just do it manually for those.

It’s a giant pain in the rear end, but you unmatch it and then go to edit and manually edit all the fields for each episode.

It takes forever but totally doable per show.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

UncleGuito posted:

Ended up getting a Plex Pass mainly for camera upload but it turns out it’s completely broken on iOS! The app just sits on ‘waiting to upload’ and seems like tons of other people have this same issue.

Feeling some pretty major buyer’s remorse right now...

Try enabling background app refresh for the app and reboot your phone.

Deleting and reinstalling the app may help too.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Tea Bone posted:

I have a 5.1 setup with a Sonos Playbase, sub and 2 play 1s. The sound coming through Plex is kind of lacklustre though. If I compare a film from Prime Video with the same film on Plex, the Prime version sounds noticeably fuller and more 'surround'.

All speakers are working with Plex, I'm just not sure they're working with true 5.1

My setup is an Nvidia Shield > Sony Bravia (via hdmi) > Sonos Playbase (via optical). I have audio passthrough disabled on Plex, enabling it seems to make no difference at best, or cuts sound out completely at worst. I can't find any other audio settings in Plex.

Is there anything else I can tweak to get Plex sounding right?

Settings on your TV are the most likely culprit. Could also be settings on the computer though. The computer needs to be shoving 5.1 to the tv (via the audio settings for the shield) over the HDMI, then the TV needs to shove 5.1 out to the Sonos.

I don’t have one so I’m not sure how possible this is, but the best result you’re going to get is connecting the sound directly to the shield.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I would definitely prefer to leave them in 4k. Especially since my server and Plex devices should be able to handle it just fine. And clearly they do....in my living room.

I just checked on the basement projector again and it looks like the screen going black for a moment was because I had refresh rate switching set to on. I turned it off but unfortunately the show is still buffering like crazy.

This is what it's saying on the Plex server dashboard when I try to play it in the basement:

I take it my issue is somewhere in there? On the Shield device that I am trying to play it on I have it set to "Play Original Quality".

It looks like it’s transcoding still, at 4k.

It could be a network strength issue.

If the projector is only 720p, why not set the quality to 720p on that player instead of original? Since it’s transcoding anyway, that should put less strain.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Is there some way to get Plex to tag shows correctly as they come into the library?

Two examples.... I have the Goldbergs (2013) in my library, but any new episode automatically gets added as The Goldbergs (1949). I also have Your Honor in my library, but it always tags it as the India version instead of the US version on ShowTime.

Driving me a bit nutty.

For shows, plex generally tags via the folder. So if the folder is correct and you have older episodes that are correctly matched it should work.

What is your folder structure like for those shows?

It should be

ALL TV SHOWS > SHOW NAME > SEASON XX > episodes go here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Astro7x posted:

uTorrent just dumps them all in a TV folder based on the huge RSS feed I subscribe to. No shows or season folders, just individual files. Fixing it in uTorrent seems like more work than fixing it in Plex though. I could set up a feed for each troublesome show and then dump those in a properly named folder, or just fix the show when it comes in. I thought it would be a bit easier than that, but I don't want to gently caress around with my RSS feed since I struggled to get it to work in the first place

This is painful. Please don’t do this. Plex sucks rear end when you don’t folder correctly. This is not even how utorrent RSS is supposed to work.

My mental image of your setup is a rural gas station with a 5 gallon bucket of loose $1 communal beef jerky.

You don’t set up entire new feeds for each show. In the RSS downloader area you set what shows to grab from the feed you already set up, and you tell it which folder to go to based on downloader entry.

No offense, but if setting up a RSS feed was super difficult, I don’t expect they’ll be able to set up sonarr or an equivalent.