Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I thought I was reading the long term investing thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Arg! Variable aspect ratio movies are driving me crazy with double letterboxing pillarboxing and letter boxing at the same time on a 21:9 display. Are there any ways to make the 21:9 scenes actually use more than half the pixels on my screen without cropping the 16:9 scenes?

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 25, 2019

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

"bridge mode" are the magic google words you are looking for to make it work.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

priznat posted:

I don't think there is any reason to use the windows app over the browser one anyway I suppose.
Tonemapping is my reason for using the windows application.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Have you tried direct play and various transcoded bit rates?

Just to rule out the wireless reception, can you try with the wifi router right next to your TV?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Have any of you worked out a work around for both pillarboxing and letterboxing at the same time on ultrawide screens that doesn't involve re-encoding all my media? Just a basic zoom option or the ability to route the video through madVR would be great.

So tired of having a 25" image on a 34" screen :(

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 12, 2021

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

I don't think so ATM
Okay, I figured something out. There are two separate downloads: Plex for Windows and Plex Media Player

And they render video differently :psyduck:

Plex media player does tone mapping and Pan & Scan. I wasn't exactly looking to chop the sides from videos. You can change the zoom mode to a few preselected options.... but you can only do that in TV mode which makes mouse scrubbing unfunctional.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 12, 2021

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Get neo-geo on that list, then we can talk.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Is there a way to force remote clients to default to direct play if they are capable? Every new device seems to default to 2mbit transcode which is rough on my server that has a lot more bandwidth than cpu power.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 27, 2021

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Burden posted:

and I do not allow anyone to watch on a browser for the most part.
Is this something you can do?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

hbag posted:

anyone know how i can tell sonarr to hard link torrent files rather than copying them? or does it do that by default? i genuinely can't tell - the file modification times seem exactly the same in both directories so im ASSUMING it's hard linking?

Unfortunately it doesn't work across file systems.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Are you running docker and passing a separate path for downloads and Media? That's the problem that I have on unraid right now and I'm too lazy to fix.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I think the question we are all wondering is:
Will this fix the ordering of my Firefly episodes without my manual intervention?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Maybe making previews for scrubbing?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

nexus6 posted:

I have a local setup for Sonarr/Radarr/Plex. A mini PC running Sonarr & Radarr grabs files then transfers them over the network to the HDD I have attached to a Shield running Plex.

This setup works well and I can access the web interfaces of Sonarr & Radarr to manage them, but it seems my mini PC is on its last legs. It's making a horrendous whirring sound now and I've tried to clean it inside and out but it still happens so I think a hard drive might be failing.

Any recommendations for a new PC or better/alternative setup?

Edit: Seems a lot of posts on Reddit are "Use a PI" "Lern unraid" "Get old PC and put linux on it". I'm kinda looking for something I can just plug in and it'll work
Don't use a pi for this unless to happen to just have one lying around. It'll cost more than $100 once you factor in the accessories you need to buy.

For $150±30 you can find a used Lenovo or HP micropc with 8gb of ram, a small ssd, and a CPU that handles transcoding.

Might be closer to $200 if you want a CPU that can do 4k 10bit hdr.

Then decide if you want to learn about Linux or just keep windows because most of the mini PC's come with a license.

Or as everyone else is saying, just keep using what works and replace a fan.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

That Works posted:

Right now the server is running an Intel i3-3220 processor with 32gb of RAM on a DH67BL motherboard (linked below) with no separate GPU attached.

I still own an older Radeon HD6950 card also linked below.

Would Plex transcoding even work on an older Radeon card like this or is this all just too old to bother with?
As far as I can tell, plex on linux does not support AMD GPUs. You might be able to do something with jellyfin https://forums.unraid.net/topic/102787-support-ich777-jellyfin-amdintelnvidia/.

Failing that, I would suggest running plex on a device separate from your NAS such as an USFF pc or shield.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

nexus6 posted:

e: possibly related - how tf do you get radarr/sonarr to not download gigantic files? I wish there was a checkbox for "lowest filesize that is still 1080p" instead of a hundred bitrate sliders.
Uncheck bluray remux from your profiles.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

the workaround is to do a hostile takeover of TVDB so that they stop being pedants about kids shows that have always been in pairs or triplets and just make them single episodes like they aired originally.
Have y'all had to deal with organizing "money heist" when you started off with the episodes that weren't recut by Netflix.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

They are also great at screwing up media you already have whenever tvdb changes their mind.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

This page has a chart that lists quick sync compatibility https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

Looks like 7th gen and newer should be good for HDR.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Any of you running Plex on Linux have an issue with the /dev/dri directory just disappearing until a reboot?

This is an 8th gen Intel on debian. I just want reliable quick sync.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I have an interesting problem. Somehow only transcoding an audio stream gives me occasional splashes of smeared colors when playing HDR content to my tv, but if I direct play the AC3 track it is fine.

I already have a work around of "select the other audio track", but is there a way I can easily edit all my files to make my AC3 track the default selection?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

astral posted:

If the container is mkv, mkvtoolnix will do this; it has a GUI, or from the command-line you can use mkvpropedit (part of the mkvtoolnix package)
I did a bit of playing around. It looks like plex ignores the default flag and chooses whatever track is at the top of the list. Now, I just gotta work out how to batch putting the first english ac3 track to the top of the list.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

cruft posted:

My recommendation for you, op, would be to go buy a Synology NAS, set up Plex as a Docker container, and call it a day.
I haven't looked recently, does Synology have anything in the current lineup with quick sync? If not, they are going to have a bad time running multiple streams.

Or are we in the fantasy world where we somehow train everyone how to direct play everything?

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 12, 2023

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

All this talk makes it sound easier to just hang a usb3 jbod enclosure off of an ultra small form factor PC.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I've been too lazy to do it, but here are some instructions for it:
https://support.plex.tv/articles/local-files-for-trailers-and-extras/

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

nexus6 posted:

So my drive containing my media is getting close to full again and I'm getting tired of picking & deleting shows I don't want around anymore just to make space. I've heard about transcoding my files to smaller file sizes - is there a 'set it and forget it' guide to this? Last time I looked you had to install this thing with a bunch of nodes and install plugins etc etc. I'd much rather select my media dir, pick some output formats and just press 'go'.
You're talking about tdarr and I'm trying to figure it out right now. It feels like the worst mix of simple and complex. There is an overwhelming number of plugins to pick, but also each plug in I have checked has very limited customization.

E: I somehow missed several hours of posts. The main thing I want to do is repackaging anything that has trueHD or DTS stream listed first to put an English AC3 track at the top of the list and not delete the original if it does an audio transcode.

Mostly because Plex is stupid as poo poo and will chose to transcode even when it doesn't have to.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 26, 2023

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Khablam posted:

I don't know what bitrate you're targeting here, but going for lowish bitrate with QSV or NVENC isn't a great idea most of the time*.
If your target is under 6mbit, and you're using either, it's better to find someone who has made a small x.265 encode. It'll be smaller and look better and you're likely to be able to replace your library quicker with downloads than encodes.

If you're just trying to smush a 264 blu-ray re-mux from 80mbit to something sane, these encoders will save you 85% disk-space for an entirely acceptable quality loss.

* - it why twitch looks like trash at 6mbit
I was about to let tdarr just have its way with my tv shows directory, but now I wonder if I should try to figure out if there are any particularly cinematic shows I want to exclude.

I did some pixel peeping with qsv bringing a 15mbit show down to 8mbit. Even at very slow setting I did notice a little more artifacting, but it did look a lot better than normal speed.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Enderzero posted:

If I’m running a plex server and give someone a shared account to watch some shows on, how is that data transmitted? Is it encrypted or anything? My friend has a paranoid boyfriend who is worried about getting in trouble, and I can’t convince him that no one is watching for some random video data flowing point to point in a stream. Anything to know that might soothe his fears?
IDK of anyone catching any poo poo by consuming media. Serving yes, consuming, no.

That said, plex isn't a great option for tinfoil hat types.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I'm not sure I understand the plexamp love when something like https://symfonium.app/ exists.

I like being able to browse and play music from different libraries.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I played around with it a little bit, but generally each service will be on a different port, so there isn't much use to giving each its own IP too.

Maybe you might have a good reason to have the public side a reverse proxy show up as its own host on the network.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

toplitzin posted:

I'm running Ubiquiti and MikroTik networking gear and HW offloading as well.

Internally, I have 10GB available to the high bandwidth devices, and 1GB to the WAN.

Issue persists with streaming bitrate set at:
Original/No limit
4k 40/30/25Mbps,
1080 @ 20/15/12/10Mbps.

Also attempted allowing "WAN as LAN" and seeing if DirectStream would work nicer. Same result.
Have you seen if you can reproduce it by having it transcode on your lan?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

toplitzin posted:

Manually changing the resolution via playback settings (480/720/1080) either gets ignored and still appears to direct play/4k or it shits itself/spins on buffering.
I was having this happen for a while until I fixed my transcoding. Take a look at your logs for a hint about what is happening. I've only done this with quicksync, but I'm guessing you need to sort out some drivers.

I forget if I fixed it by installing drivers from a non-free repo or by setting up a real transcode directory on an ssd instead of to ram.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

toplitzin posted:

went back to plex.tv and he's back to 2mb/s and transcoding down to 2Mbps.

On the plus side, Dad's happy.
Do you have anything in the "Custom server access URLs" setting?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Whoreson Welles posted:

I see on my Plex server that an update is available, but my container is set to pull the :latest tag so I assume it should be as up to date as the linuxserver image allows.
Specifically with the linuxserver container, if you use the VERSION environment variable it will update plex at each container startup. Otherwise you will have to pull a new docker image which doesn't normally happen on its own.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

cruft posted:

Holy hell.

Do you encode your vinyl at 96kHz and 24 bits per sample?

It's okay to tell us, we won't judge you.
I don't think having remuxes is that weird.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

poo poo, how did you get your Plex client to automatically drop to the next supported audio track? I have the exact opposite problem with TruHD

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Corb3t posted:

Performance-wise on the server's side, is transcoding audio just as bad as a having to transcode video?
No, but trueHD transcoding paired HDR content somehow fucks with my LG tv and adds all sorts of color smearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Spergin Morlock posted:

A while back someone mentioned they managed to fix the issue where Dolby Vision content plays but it's all purple/green looking. I tried scrolling back to the comment but didn't see it... I would love to get that stuff working
With an LG tv? My solution is to make sure the audio doesn't transcode by picking an AC3 audio track.