Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I run my Plex off an old 10 year old NAS. It can choke on multiple torrents being shuffled around, but is more than sufficient for streaming video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Use the Linux version.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Did you do the simplist google search of "windows tool to restart windows applications? If no, why not? If yes, do none of these look appealing?

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/keep-application-running-by-automatically-rerun-when-closed/

also, there is usually very little reason to be on the bleeding edge newest Plex server release.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I don't think you'll get any performance out of the RAMdisk idea. If you DO do it, then hit us up with the performance metrics.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video#Performance_and_quality

quote:

Version 1 (Sandy Bridge)
Quick Sync was initially built into some Sandy Bridge CPUs, but not into Sandy Bridge Pentiums or Celerons.[7]

Version 2 (Ivy Bridge, Bay Trail)
The Ivy Bridge microarchitecture included a "next-generation" implementation of Quick Sync.[8]

Version 3 (Haswell)
The Haswell microarchitecture implementation is focused on quality, with speed about the same as before (for any given clip length vs. encoding length).[citation needed]
This generation of Quick Sync supports the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, VC-1 and H.262/MPEG-2 Part 2 video standards.[1]

Version 4 (Broadwell)
The Broadwell microarchitecture adds VP8 hardware decoding[9] support. Also, it has two independent bit stream decoder (BSD) rings to process video commands on GT3 GPUs; this allows one BSD ring to process decoding and the other BSD ring to process encoding at the same time.[10]

Version 5 (Skylake)
The Skylake microarchitecture adds a full fixed-function H.265/HEVC main/8-bit encoding and decoding acceleration, hybrid and partial HEVC main10/10-bit decoding acceleration, JPEG encoding acceleration for resolutions up to 16,000×16,000 pixels, and partial VP9 encoding and decoding acceleration.[11]

Version 6 (Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake, Whiskey Lake, Comet Lake)
The Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake and Comet Lake microarchitecture adds full fixed-function H.265/HEVC Main10/10-bit encoding and decoding acceleration and full fixed-function VP9 8-bit and 10-bit decoding acceleration and 8-bit encoding acceleration.[12][13]

Version 7 (Ice Lake)
The Ice Lake (microprocessor) adds VP9 4:4:4 decoding, VP9 encoding (up to 10-bit and 4:4:4), HEVC 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 decoding and encoding,[14] HDR10 Tone Mapping[15] and Open Source Media Shaders.[16] HEVC hardware encoding quality has also been improved.[17]

Version 8 (Tiger Lake, Rocket Lake, Alder Lake, Raptor Lake)
The Tiger Lake (microprocessor), Rocket Lake, Alder Lake & Raptor Lake adds VP9 12-bit & 12-bit 4:4:4 hardware decoding and HEVC 12-bit 4:2:0, 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 hardware decoding.[18] Gen12 Xe will also support native AV1 decode, which includes 10-bit 4:2:0 16K stills and 10-bit 4:2:0 8K, 4K and 2K video.[19] Hardware encoding for VP8 was dropped and hardware decoding is only available on Tiger Lake.[20]

Version 9 (Intel Arc Alchemist, Meteor Lake, Arrow Lake)
Intel Arc Alchemist GPUs adds 8K 10-bit AV1 hardware encoding.[21]

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any experience with Dolby Vision stuff throwing the error "File is unplayable. Color space is not supported."?

Looking on line it seems that it is intermittent and depends on version. One of my friends actually got playback that was all purple tinted and then LATER got the error. I thought Plex could transcode 10bit stuff down. Am I mistaken? This stuff SHOULD play if it's a direct stream, if we put transcoding aside right?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
probably you need a bigger/louder center channel.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

forest spirit posted:

I'm surprised that since nvidia released the broadcast software a year go we'd see some software solution or hints of AI raising the volume of speech in content.

scooping audio is tough though, and even though broadcast can run on 10-series (without tensor) it does have a performance impact. so I'm answering my own question here.

I'm just waiting for the next shield, it will probably have some AI trickery up it's sleeve

Nvidia's "Broadcast" app currently does exactly the inverse for voice communications, remove everything but voice. No reason it can't do the opposite if they wanted.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

forest spirit posted:

yeah that's what I'm saying. I just hadn't thought it through that a tegra probably can't handle audio scooping along with everything else if broadcast is able to chew into a 1080ti's performance noticeably.

we have to wait for something new

I ran the earlier version on a 1070 for quite a while, any performance hit was quite negligible. In any case, I doubt we'll see that sort of thing backported.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
For straight up local non transcoding, any old raspberry pi would even be fine, right?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
TalentCell Mini UPS Uninterrupted Power Supply 27000mAh 98Wh Lithium ion Backup Battery with DC 12V/9V/5V Output for Wireless Router, Modem, LED Light, CCTV Camera, Smartphone and More https://a.co/d/bmeWTku

I have one of these for my networking gear. Keeps poo poo up and running through power outages, supports multiple voltages, pretty neat

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Why windows? And it is possible, although a pain to transfer your database and settings.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Oysters Autobio posted:

What would be the cheapest for being able to support 4-5 users?

If everything is direct streaming, you could do 50 users!

I think maybe you are approaching this incorrectly. You don't know what the load will be on your 4-5 users, but you want to spend the least amount of money to do it. How is that supposed to be figured out? Maybe come up with a budget first.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Tangential question, what's the best practice way to expose my library to selected users for uploading/downloading to the library? FTP is certainly one way to do it, but I suspect it is very insecure. I have an Ubuntu install running.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I have a Unifi network with a USG, so I should be pretty well equipped on the VPN side, no?

Users in question are the savvier ones.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Slash posted:

Setup Sonarr/Radarr for downloading.
Plex Pass for downloading or just plex for streaming.

I'm already using Plex. My question is about giving certain trusted users read/write access to my library.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've got an original model shield, and other than needing a new remote (triangle better!), it's been rock solid. It only ever gets to pass stereo... good to know about it's direct passthrough capabilities though.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Do you think there's much risk of a feature that requires more memory that would be a deal breaker for someone? It's already doing 4K and upscaling... What else might a normal user need?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
For ultralol I use password safe on my Dropbox. Is it security through obscurity?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Maybe you can cram a cheap nvenc video card into it?

Although, why not figure out the cause of the buffering. It should never do that due to drive or CPU speed? If you are trying to transcode multiple streams on CPU, then I would expect issues.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 12, 2023

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wonder if that is an OS specific thing that might work on one but not another. Only one way to find out!

In other news, WD charging less for a 16tb Red Pro than a 14tb combined with PayPal doing a 12% cash back offer that I then pushed onto a 3% cash back card in turn… I guess my movie collection can get even more esoteric and offputting than ever before.

Of course had to add a new 4 bay drive enclosure because I’ve run out, expensive night.

Link?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
woo, thanks, I use both paypal and a credit card that gets me 3 percent. beats shuck 'em if you got 'em prices. 2x16TB here I come.

edit: hmm, it didn't work? I followed the link on the paypal page to the store, and used my regular credit card with paypal. damnit

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 29, 2023

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Did you see the 2x 18tb they were offering for $550? Mentions it by the add to cart button. If you’re getting two drives it might be worth going for that one if the $50 additional isn’t a ‘I’ve spent too much already’ thing.

I hosed up first time round and bought a 14 and was able to cancel straight away.

what did you gently caress up? Maybe i did the same.

order cancelled in any case :/

Did you see the same purchase stuff as I did, but Paypal is supposed to credit me? I've never used a paypal discount before.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 29, 2023

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

I got the 14 and the 16 mixed up when I put my purchase through, I accidentally bought the 14 at 265. I realized my error, cancelled it and got the 16 at 249. Just a simple mistake from having too many tabs open as I was looking up prices on both capacities.

I’ve not done cashback through PayPal before, I expect it just uses a built in referral link and when the purchase is verified it credits the account. It’s just a bonus for me really, I was going to buy anyway.

E: oh I didn’t see your original edit when I last replied, I was typing when you edited I guess. Yeah it says it’s a cashback thing so it won’t take it off the purchase price but most likely a credit. They’re always a bit vague tbh.

Cool, hopefully they'll credit me, screenshotted the offer and my order confirmation just in case. I got that 18TB combo deal, sick! I DO have another 50 bucks! $515 all said and done for 36TB of storage. Not bad. Thanks for the tip.

As an aside, I did the original purchase as a "guest" on the western digital site, and then panicked because I thought i wasn't getting the rebate or however it worked. I cancelled the order then I attempted to sign up for the site, cause why not? Anyhow I got a welcome message, attempted to login and it didn't like my username/password. I tried to reset my password, but it didn't send an email. Finally did chat support today after work and the guy was like "you bought this as a guest" and i told him what happened and he was like "go here and create an account" and I was like "i can't! the button is greyed out" and he goes "you're right, the site can't create new accounts right now, we'll send you an email when we have an update, goodbye" ten minutes later I get the chat log and another email saying "welcome to the site". Sounds like I broke the site and for almost a full day new logins weren't able to be created, and someone kicked the authentication server or whatever, and it woke back up.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Plex supports AV1 right? I figure that's relevant if you live in the US hellscape where bandwidth is still so lovely for people, so GPU would be the way to go for that.

Not very well. Need a hardware decoder to handle more than a stream or two, I'm not sure many of the clients support it either.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Scruff McGruff posted:

You can find low profile 1050's for under $100 but without hacked drivers I think you're limited to 2 transcodes? Seems like GPU pricing is bouncing up a bit again, I got a 1050ti for that price like 6 months ago but now they're up to like $150.

5 encodes 1 decode.
https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new

edit: i misread the matrix, it's 5/5 i think. Also this has been getting updated at least since nvidia announced they were unlocking more transcode threads on most cards.

the restrictions were loosened in 2023 allowing up to 5 simultaneously encoding video streams.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVENC

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 7, 2023

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's not hard to do the math on consumption x kwh cost. You can even use a kill-a-watt device to get pretty accurate measures of device power consumption.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
No, don't!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I looked a few pages back. What's the recommended mini PC, or maybe what's the next step up from that in terms of transcode/storage/memory sort of capacity for use in more general server stuff as well.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Just a heads up, winRAR has a big security issue, update or uninstall. I know most people are using 7zip at this point.

Sounds like something a 7zip fanboy would say! Got a link?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Oh, so just download the new version.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
My new hard drives are audible while previous ones were not. Moving my server is definitely an option. I can ask in the Linux thread if this doesn't pan out, but here we go.

When a video file starts streaming, can the system immediately load the file into memory so that it's not clunking away for the whole playtime?

It's Ubuntu with 16GB of memory and decent hardware transcode capabilities.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
What's the best thing to rip YouTube videos? I have Windows, Linux and YouTube premium.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Thanks! Just starting skimming the docs... Looks pretty powerful. Can someone supply me with an example command to get one specific video at highest quality with h264 output so I have an easy place to start?

Oh, I see some examples above!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

deong posted:

I'm using a docker image for ytube downloads. It has a webui.
The image is : marcobaobao/yt-dlp-webui

Thanks, tried this one as it seemed like a good mix of low command line and capability. Also thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I'm now ending up with .webm files ( this video, to be exact https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnkNPejF0LA )

I'm having trouble getting Plex to recognize it. It seems to be in the Plex tv database. (https://watch.plex.tv/show/taskmaster-champion-of-champions)

I've tried renaming the .webm to mkv and mp4, have added "S02E02" but I can't get the file to even show up in Plex's TV's unmatched files. Am I missing something obvious? Can I configure the utility to output H264 or something else? Is it down to the name? coded?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
What's sponser block? Also, is there a way to log in with my premium credentials, and is there a benefit to doing so?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I am a little strict that people check my server and justwatch.com before making a request. Other than that, me and my users get along just fine!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I have a discord for requests and a bot that posts new releases. It's kind of a fun little community of friends, family and co workers.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm not too picky with what people choose. The most popular kids movie on my server is frozen and one kid watched it like 25 times. Not too demanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I can't sully my over provisioned storage pool with crotch spawn entertainment!