Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is there a good, current request plugin from within Plex?
I have Plex 4.34.4 installed on a Synology, and I'd like to add a way for people to request movies/shows/music using the arr's. Preferably something I can approve before it grabs. I saw RequestChannel but it hasn't been updated for quite some time. It doesn't look like it works on the current Plex Build (correct me if i'm wrong).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ombi is still pretty popular for letting users add stuff, and I keep meaning to reinstall it on my machine.

Thanks.
I built everything up on the synology community packages. I think now I should have started as docker containers. Is there an easy way to move over?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Every couple of weeks? Get Plex Pass, it's literally almost every day right now. At least it's quick.

I was planning to get the ex lifetime, i was reading they tend to do black friday deals. Do they announce that on twitter, just the site?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

FCKGW posted:

Plex Pass lifetime membership for $90. This appears to be same as last year's BF pricing so I don't expect it to go lower.
Use promo code SURVIVETHESEASON

Thanks dawg!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's about as good a price you'll get without winning the email lotto. You'll get your value out of it eventually I'm sure, as new and currently unannounced features sometimes get released on Pass before/only. I probably spent more on buying it yearly whenever I needed it than just stumping up for the lifetime.

I played myself doing the same.
Although, I did only pay for 4 mo of Monthly so I still saved. $90 for lifetime is a great deal if you plan to use it. You're saving after 18 mo

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Does anyone have a nice travel setup for Plex?
I have plex on a synology, and at home I use an amazon 4k stick. When I'm away from home, I've been using an older chromcast that I have around and my phone. It works out ok, but I'm wanting to set up something a little better. Not sure if I'd just use another amazon stick? This is when I am using an airbnb.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Hm. In the before times when I traveled by plane I would just load up my little ipad and it'd be good enough for me. Pack an hdmi/dongle and done. That was before I was using Plex, and just had kodi at home. Maybe I'll just keep with that method.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
You could go into authorized devices and remove the one. They will have to re log in, so change your password if they know it.

(Your plex):32400/web/index.html#!/settings/devices/all should work I think.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Would SSH port forwarding be more or less the same security?
I changed from the default ssh port, but i'll just forward ports on my phone for quick access.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
What is the best way to manage anime in Japanese with sonarr? Can I add a 2nd language to the search preferences?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

porktree posted:

I switched my internet over to Tmobile's Home thing, and it's been pretty great (250 down/25 up consistantly). I had AT&T that struggled to get me 18 up. Ping times are comparable and my COD hasn't suffered. (I'm rural until I found the TMo thing AT&T was the only thing I could get - or satellite)

The only thing that's been a hassle is Plex. I was able to port forward and assign static IP's internally before TMo, and AT&T pretty much assigned a static IP, as I never saw the external IP change in the several years I had it.

So, I can't get remote access to work - and TMo doesn't really care. I have been able to make the relay work some of the time.

My question is; would something like OpenDNS or DynDNS be a solution here? Or without port forwarding am I kind of screwed.

Others may have a better option for you, but i started to run [url]https://tailscale.com/[url] on my systems and it was super easy to set up. It gives you an internalized vpn that you can reach from any internet device running it. It changes your ip's to 100.xxx but then its cake.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Delzuma posted:

Windows keeps track of “Date Added” and sometimes during file copy it gets set to some crazy date in the future. I once had all of Doctor Who accidentally set to the year 2100 or some poo poo. There’s plenty of freeware solutions out there to adjust the systems dates and once you’ve got that sorted it’ll fall back into place.

I'm having this issue as well, but all my files are on synology. Would the same fix work?

Looks like not. This is for a show that I've had since starting up the synology, but plex constantly thinks it has the last show added. The show ended in the 90's so nothing should be changing. I've double checked to make sure nothing has been redownloaded either.

edit2:
I looked into synology's file station and it shows the date modified to be 09/13/2020 after using AD. So it looks like that worked?. But when I did a re-analyze it still is showing as the last added show.

deong fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 16, 2021

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

The Diddler posted:

Have you added anything since then? That attribute wouldn't be part of the file metadata, it would be in the plex db.

No. It was all added at the same time. So do I need to update the plex db file?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Khablam posted:

Plexamp has a design limit of 24hours of music, you may well be running into that.

Just a back of the hand math; but it seems 450 songs would hit 24 hrs.. Why would they add that limitation? Seems dumb if you can download multiple playlists.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Plugged directly into the TV cleared up the problem. Kind of sucks to not be able to put it through the splitter though.

HD Fury has a device that they drop the version of HDCP to help bypass this. That or you can get a HDCP 2.2 compliant splitter.
Something like this : https://www.siig.com/premium-4-port-hdmi-splitter-with-edid-4kx2k-60hz.html

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Not sure anyone here needs it, but Plex is doing a lifetime pass for 25% off for Black Friday as usual.
https://plex.tv/black-friday/
code : LIFETIMEOFCOMFORT

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is there a good guide from moving my plex instance from Synology community package to docker? I'd like to keep my watch history etc.

Is it as easy as moving : /volume1/PlexMediaServer/AppData/Plex Media Server to the new docker /data?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Warbird posted:

Iirc it can depend on the particular container how it maps stuff within the data dir so you’d want to run it once to see how the structure is. After that dumping it into the corresponding location should be good enough; I don’t recall of it saved my watch progress though.

This said I’d encourage you to keep it “bare metal” on Synology instead of a container as getting hardware transcoding going within the container is fucky and an almighty pain in the rear end. You are using the Plex issued binaries and so forth, right?

Ya, I've been downloading the plex update in app from their servers. So I'm way up compared to the synology community version. "newest online" 1.21.0-3744 vs installed : 1.24.5.5173-7000

I just updated to DSM7 and it wiped my *arr configurations. So I'm taking this time to move things to container.
I do have the plex pass, so hardware transcode happens some; but not often. I mostly play straight across.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Warbird posted:

Follow ur drems. The slight lag of releases hasn’t really bothered me this far and enough folks do Syn for their instances that I know they’ll be reasonably quick in getting a release out.

All my *arr stuff is in containers and so was Plex up until moving to Synology and encountering the hwt issue mentioned already. It’ll run just fine so if you’re just doing direct play it shouldn’t be an issue. Granted I was using Linuxserver’s container and the official one (assuming there is one) may not have that issue. Plus you can get really stupid and set up a k3 cluster (nothing is ever improved by using k8s) and make your Plex HA because hail satan.

Thank you for the insight. I'll keep plex as is but containerize the services.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Bonzo posted:

lol what is in your library?

HPJ is alive and well...

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is there a way to adjust thoes without using the sliders?
Man I hate thoes things. I find them very difficult to control.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

cruft posted:

I've been using the new Chromecast that runs android. It was pretty easy to replace the stock ad-heavy launcher with FLauncher, which stays out of the way well.

Amazon makes it essentially impossible to replace the launcher.

This is the Chromecast with the remote?
I need to look into the launcher I guess. The Chromecast has been great for me. I rarely used the previous ultra (?) I had but the remote version has been great. Except I think I may need that Ethernet add on. I was streaming something from plex at 12mb/s and it had multiple buffering moments on a 30min ep. Only happens on one show so far and it has subs, so might not be network. But on a quick check, it feels like the problem. The Chromecast is about 4ft from the router...

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Is there just a file that you can hand edit? I hate those sliders so loving much.
I find the defaults in sonarr to be reasonable for my needs, but radar is bonkers. Who wants an 80g 1080 video? Leave that for 4k!
I have a 65in TV and feel a 5g 720p is good enough for 90% of my viewings tho. What's the audiophile version of video? Visophile?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
So I installed Jellyfin; one annoying thing with plex is that it does not import all my movies and I can't figure out why?
Jellyfin picks up 5 more movies than Plex does. I know ONE movie for sure that I can look for in the logs, but after downloading the logs I glaze over. There are like 23 files? Which do I look at? PlexMediaScanner.log seems to use uuids?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

El Mero Mero posted:

https://github.com/WebTools-NG has an option that will find the items that weren't picked up

cool; does it tell you why and how to get them to import?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

El Mero Mero posted:

https://github.com/WebTools-NG has an option that will find the items that weren't picked up

kri kri posted:

Plex does this by default now

It’s under filters and unmatched

Using the unmatched, nothing shows up. It simply didn't see the file for some reason? It was pulled from Radarr so matches all the other movies that have picked up.
I have not gotten to the WebTools-NG yet;

e:for context

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Tea Bone posted:

Since everyone else is doing it my libraries are:

Movies (mostly 1080p or 4k, I don't have a ton of outside users and have Plex on a dedicated media server so not too worried about transcoding)
TV
Stand Up
Audio (a few audio books and comedy radio shows from pre-podcast era)
Audio Stand Up (audio rips of everything in my stand up library)
Jackie Chan (SD-1080)

I have separate Radarr docker instances setup for each movie library to keep things easy to manage.

This rules. At some point i grabbed every jacky chan movie. But i kept them in the fold.

I have :
Movies
TV
Music
Music Videos
Xtreme Vidwo (Red Bull/skate/bike/etc)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Astro7x posted:

Plex usually has a decent Black Friday sale, right?

Been commuting to work on the train again after 2 1/2 years and would love the ability to easily download shows on my Plex server. Streaming over cellular isn’t cutting it.

Typically they do a lifetime pass for like 25% off I think.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

I have a 2bay DS218+. I'm close to out of space with 2x18tb drives. If I want to expand the drive bays, would I go with a DS920+ then? I use hardware transcode.
Would looking at ebay for a used one be a bad idea? $750 for 2 year old hardware hurts.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Are there any good guides for setting up quality profiles. As for scene standards?
I'd like to replace my files with 1080p h.265 when avail to minimize space. But of I drop the file size I'm worried I'll get old garbage rips.
I mostly have 720 now and that's fine but if I could get better qual and save space. Win win

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Awesome. I'll check

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I have jellyfin set up, but still primarily use Plex. I go back to Jellyfin to see if updates have made it better. Not sure why, but i just don't like it much. Haven't put in a ton of thought tho.

I did find this https://github.com/luigi311/JellyPlex-Watched
To sync my watch list between the 2. If it works, I'll be more likely to actually use Jellyfin. Anyone else use this or similar?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Motronic posted:

2023 is in fact still not the year of linux on the desktop.

Excuse me sir, pls see :
Steam Deck Thread.

If you're not in here already, its gone through about 8 itterations of ITS SO EASY YOU DON'T NEED TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT LINUX ---> can someone explain why this guide says to use rm -rf ?

I'm a user of all the os. I run plex on synology natively with my *arrs in docker images. But I am an IT guy, primarily working in Windows, but I also do video editing at work on MacOS and use a Ubuntu Desktops. Why can't everyone be like me?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Scruff McGruff posted:

I switched to BitWarden about a year or so ago and it's been fine.

Same. I don't want to self host, but I like that bitwarden allows for it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Does anyone know if its possible for a free user to share a playlist created on my server, to me?
I'm able to grant access from one from my account (Plex lifetime).
Looking online points me to a plugin called Webtools, but ya. I'm on the 1.31.0.6654

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I had an old Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4765T CPU @ 2.00GHz) that I'm going to try using as a Tdarr box, attached to my synology ds218+.
What OS should I put on there? I went with Linux Mint for now. I'm comfortable in ubuntu space. I was going to use docker for Tdarr partly for learning.
Does this sound like a good plan?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Wibla posted:

Be aware that QuickSync on those older intel cpus don't yield very good output quality.

Does that mean its slow, or the actual encodes are not as good?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

That Works posted:

I have an old Ivy Bridge processor on my NAS, similar to yours which is a Haswell. TDarr did not work worth a drat on that cpu just FYI so I expect you might be disappointed.

However I did end up taking someones advice earlier in this thread or the nas one and bought a cheap used Nvidia p400 GPU off of ebay and that transcoded fine. It took me about 3 days to transcode around 5-6tb worth of files to 265 doing them just 1 at a time. This was on an Unraid NAS with the same Ivy Bridge CPU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

ok good to know. Thanks.
I found this while cleaning out my office. It's going to head to the recycle probably then. Bummer but oh well.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

EL BROMANCE posted:

If they’re going to share data with these companies, I specifically want it to tell them I had that movie in my library from the moment it came out and still nobody wanted to watch it even for free. Useful metrics!

Better than Nelson!
I wonder how much of my library has 0 views. 75%? Can I look that up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

RichterIX posted:

I have bitched about this before but it seems to be getting worse-- if you use an Android device to cast Plex to a Chromecast, do you find that the app sucks poo poo?

I have had: the app lose control of the video so I can't play or pause (Google Home app can still control it just fine), the video play on both my phone and the Chromecast at the same time, the video just fail to play until I disconnect from the Chromecast, close the app completely and restart it.

It used to only be an issue if I'd be watching a movie that would run long enough for the app to forget what it was doing (even though I have it set to have unfettered battery access), now it's getting to be a crapshoot whether the video will actually start without complaint or not. Is there something I'm doing wrong in my phone or app settings or is the Android Plex app just getting worse and worse?

I had these kind of issue with my Chromecast HD. Once the Chromecast with Remote came out I bought it and it has been much better.
Now my issue is that my remote burns through batteries in like 2 weeks. I've started using the chromecast remote app on my phone....