Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I thought the plexamp app was surprisingly good. I also really like their library radio algorithm/playlist generator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I've been using a Synology 918+ for about 3 years now and it rules. I'm pretty satisfied with the updates and ecosystem. Anything I can't do in the ecosystem i just run in a container and it can probably support 4 simultaneous 1080 streams without issue.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

if it's synology they also don't support symlinks either.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I wish there was a reasonable YouTube metadata client. I've gotten pretty good with youtube-dl and can even embed most of the metadata (including thumbnail) when I grab a video, but it would still be nice for Plex to have a scanner that was worth a drat.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

hmm, I saw the ZeroQi one and wasn't having much luck with it (it wasn't grabbing stuff from the youtube API for me) - but this one looks much more put together and reasonable - especially because it leverages youtube-dl metadata.

Thanks! I'll tinker with this a bit this weekend.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Spent some time with this tonight and here is what I am doing now:
youtube-dl -o '/home/username/Downloads/Videos/%(title)s.%(ext)s' --write-description --write-annotations --write-thumbnail -f bestvideo+bestaudio https://www.youtube.com/example

Then I throw that in a folder on my plex storage drive and I added a library under Other Videos. It's worked pretty well for me so far. Grabs the thumbnail for the cover and grabs the description. I havent played around trying to add videos as a season though or anything like that.

Sorry I missed this, but yeah - that's exactly what I'm doing too.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I don't think this is necessarily a Plex issue, but I've noticed that when I pop out Plex to hover the video on top of other windows that if the thing I'm watching has subtitles they get dropped.

Is this something about how browsers implement picture-in-picture or something with how Plex handles subtitles?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I'm starting to get more family members using my local plex server (which runs off my DS918+ synology NAS). I've got symmetrical gigabit and have it set to maximum quality to avoid transcodes.

Right now I've seen it support ~ 4 simultaneous streams without any problems, but I'm a bit worried it might not be able to go much beyond that.

Ideally, I think I'd like to keep the synology NAS and move the Plex server over to something with a bit of dedicated capacity. Something that could ideally support ~10-15 simultaneous streams, with a few transcodes. Is there a suggested plex server build somewhere?

Also, if I migrate my plex server to a new machine will I have to re-invite all my users?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Khablam posted:

I'm mobile posting or I'd find it out, but if you check my recent posts there's a sub-$100 PC that you can just point at a NAS.
Basically any Intel CPU 7th gen or later will transcode 15+ streams at decent quality.

oh that's perfect, thanks!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I wish plex actually had a way to flip that setting and would only mark played items and leave everything else untouched

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Soysaucebeast posted:

I'm debating getting the lifetime pass, but I was wondering if people here thought it was worth it. I have zero desire to use the music playing side of Plex (I don't like Tidal so I just use Spotify for everything and I play my own media with that anyway) and I don't share my Plex server with anyone but my husband. I'm tempted to get it, but I'm not sure if that's just because of my "ooooh shiney!" impulse or if it is actually worth the ~90$.

I use Plex so much that it's probably the best deal I've gotten on a piece of software.

There's also the chance with any free software that they paywall/make it subscription based in the future, so a lifetime pass (hypothetically/hopefully) will grandfather you out of that eventuality.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So I decided this week to do some long over-due library cleanup and used filebot to reorganize all of my media. Everything is now well organized and named using the plex standard.

Doing this caused plex to freak the gently caress out though and now it's matching a large portion of my library under Futurama

The refresh in plex is still ongoing (the TV folder is about 10TB), but these early mistakes make me worried. Any ideas why this might be happening?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Motronic posted:

Absolutely me too. But they didn't do that and instead completely screwed up their "business model" while chasing capital. It's pretty tragic for such a formerly good project.

Well, I'd say that they actually just planted a flag in terms of where they want to make money from. The plex passes (subscription or lifetime) were abandoned as a business model and they made a hard pivot towards being a yet-another streaming platform, selling ads, and harvesting data for sale. If they ever get users who go to plex for the free garbage they've licensed to stream then they'll start injecting rentals and premium pay for content alongside the freestuff.

Eventually (or the moment a big company acquires them) the ability to even host your own libraries will die-off because it's no longer their model.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

cruft posted:

I'm really glad everybody was able to gut Netflix and we're back to Cable TV again. It was a real shame paying one low price to a single service for everything I wanted.

Which, I suppose, is why we're all posting on the Plex thread.

Yeah. There was a window there where I basically abandoned piracy since Netflix was solving The Cable TV Problem effectively enough and at the right price point. Then the license holders figured out how to run a website and the market got hosed again.

Innovation!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah I just use a single quality profile for all of my radarr profiles and don't complicate it up with more than one.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Laserface posted:

yeah im fine with most 1080P rips of most things. I like getting the big visual spectacle poo poo in 4k/UHD HDR/20-40GB but i will do that by hand.

:same:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

My Synology 918+ can/has handled 6 simultaneous streams without an issue

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Crime on a Dime posted:

are you able to add any info that's useful?

What Inept posted is correct and I can personally confirm it?

The majority of my what's streaming is 1080p, and it can handle transcoding that just fine. For 4k, I haven't had any issues, but i don't know how many streams it could concurrently handle.

There's this NAS compatability guide that might also be of interest to you

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

GFBeach posted:

So I got the Plex lifetime pass since my DS220+ can't reliably handle 1080p transcoding, and I immediately find that even with hardware transcoding enabled... 1080p still buffers and lags really badly. -_- Is there some issue with PGS subtitles just clogging up the works really badly? Things are fine when I turn them off, but I pretty much need subtitles on because of hearing problems.

EDIT: I checked both Plex and Synology's resource managers and both of them report that the CPU isn't getting maxed out during transcoding if I have PGS subtitles enabled (whereas prior to buying Plex Pass it would be), so I'm assuming that means hardware transcoding is in fact working properly.

There's this trick to force it to use the i965 driver which can help.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Medullah posted:

Oh hey I JUST had to figure this out after a trip this last week where I was annoyed my audiobooks were treated like music. There's a setting in libraries to keep progress -

Make a separate library for Audiobooks unless you want all music to keep progress too.

oh thanks. I had that same frustrating issue with audiobooks and didn't realize there was a setting there.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

deong posted:

So I installed Jellyfin; one annoying thing with plex is that it does not import all my movies and I can't figure out why?
Jellyfin picks up 5 more movies than Plex does. I know ONE movie for sure that I can look for in the logs, but after downloading the logs I glaze over. There are like 23 files? Which do I look at? PlexMediaScanner.log seems to use uuids?

https://github.com/WebTools-NG has an option that will find the items that weren't picked up

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

deong posted:

cool; does it tell you why and how to get them to import?

no but it's almost always naming that explains why plex misses it

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

There's still no way to force invited users to default to direct play, right?

I think the worst thing is that Plex defaults new users to a transcoded 8mbs stream and they have to learn on their own how to change that.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't doubt that hearing damage is going to be widespread (and underreported) in those of us who grew up with headphones anywhere/everywhere - but this is a trivial thing to test. Play a scene in a modern movie where you can't hear poo poo, then stop and go play something from 40+ years ago, like Dr. Strangelove or Airplane. Basic audio mixing for dialogue above almost everything else.

Then forget what you were watching before and watch Airplane instead.

Yeah it's absolutely a combination of filmmaking/acting style trends (less of a focus on enunciation), sound mixing practices, and device sound quality. Older movies sound incredibly different than anything made in the past 25 years

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah plexamp is surprisingly good. I had low expectations but it delivers the goods

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

anyone ever have stuttering problems with direct play (ie: non-transcoded) streams? I've got gigabit internet and there are some video files that skip every two seconds when I try to play them in chrome with no transcoding, but they play just fine transcoded.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I've found ErsatzTV to be the best one so far, but I haven't played with xTeVe yet - I'll have to take a look.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

docker compose files have treated me quite well for my set-up. I manage them in portainer and everything is self-contained with all of the configurations backed up.

Calibre-web
ersatztv
filebot
overseer
photoprism
pihole
plex
syncthing
tautulli
tdarr
watchtower
youtube-dl
sonarr
radarr
jackett
unifi controller

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Warbird posted:

I used to do that but moved to the app package as I could never get hardware transcoding to place nice with the Docker Plex.

It's actually doable via the docker container now. It used to drive me batty how out of date the synology package was and it turns out you just need to map the GPU drivers to the container in order to get hardware acceleration working in the image.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

How do you go about doing that? I assumed it did that already, I didn’t know you had to map anything other than network stuff to the container

code:
    devices:
      - /dev/dri:/dev/dri
Is about it I think.

I think this is the guide I used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzm_Cmhs6t8

You might need to update the drivers in synology or update some permissions - it's been a while since I did it. Nice thing is that you can do tone mapping via the docker image, which can't be done in the synology app.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Motronic posted:

If you need that you are sharing your server with a sufficient number of people to paint a target on your own back.

Actually on all of ours. There are people running bootleg Netflix servers with paid signup new user flows and who knows how many users and everything and that poo poo is gonna get the entire Plex scene shutdown.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/02/lastpass-hackers-infected-employees-home-computer-and-stole-corporate-vault/

Saw this in the self-hosting thread and was wondering about the best ways to segment Plex on my network. Right now it’s in its own docker container on a synology, but not sure if that would cut it since it’s still on the home network and has read/write on the nas shared folders…

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 1, 2023

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Violator posted:

I'm assuming it's this:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/02/lastpass-hackers-infected-employees-home-computer-and-stole-corporate-vault/

Supposedly somehow a Plex vulnerability led to the LastPass hack. This is Plex's response:

lol if this is yet another "lastpass showing it's rear end" moment. Arstechnica should probably put a big fat loving asterixis by any info they get from any lastpass employee.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm not a professional computer toucher, this program is complicated.

https://ffmpeg.app/

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

Which would you recommend between ersatzTV and dizqueTV ? I’ve been wanting to set up something like this forever, but always got scared away by how complex it seemed and how the software always seemed to be in beta and barely working.

But I just checked again, and there seem to be step by step guides out there for both platforms, so maybe they’re good now?

yeah my impressions were kinda meh for both, but I found ersatzTV to be a bit more useful for an music-video channel.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

deong posted:

What kind of user numbers do y'all have?
I have 28 friends/family with access, but like 8 who access it every month.
I'm using the Plex proxy and have everything else related behind tail scale.

I'm pretty open with sharing mine around. I've got ~55 users with about 20 who used it last month. Most I've ever seen was 4 concurrent streams though...which made me a bit nervous because I'm running my box on a synology 918+ and I think it would choke with 1-2 more concurrent users if someone was transcoding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

phosdex posted:

I'm the only person that uses my server, have a friend on it but he never uses it. I fall asleep all the time watching new episodes and then the autoplay just keeps playing for awhile. So sometimes I use Tautulli to try and figure out when I fell asleep and what episodes I did actually watch. I'm stalking myself.

I used to do that, but then I realized that "mark as watched" in plex gets logged as a played item in Tautulli - so I've destroyed most of my own statistics by doing library management stuff (deleting/redownloading something and then marking it as watched or downloading something I watched a long time ago and marking it as watched)