Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So my home networking is a bit poo poo, i've got a fairly crap internet connection which has been supplied with a fairly crap router/hub (in only has the 2GHz whatever bandwidth rate).

As such file/network transfers (and plex streaming) are outright lovely.

My main media server setup is a compute stick in the back of the TV with all of my media hooked up to it on a portable HDD. That's presumably not helping with the content streaming either.

We mainly watch content on the TV so it's not that big a deal but occassionally i'm looking to watch something on my laptop and my go to solution has just been to copy it across directly from the portable HDD and play it on Kodi.

Recently i got a new laptop and decided to try setting it up as a second plex server (so I can point to media folders on the hard drive), but for the life of me i can't get it to work. When i log into the plex web app there just isn't the option to add a second server like all the guides online say.

Is there a way to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Hmm well this is weird.

It might be the second server installation that's a problem then.

I've just uninstalled and reinstalled it but after running the server it doesn't show up on the system tray.

It's there running under processes in the task manager though.

Every time I open the Web app and login, it just loads up the compute stick server and theres no option to add another under settings as it just shows me the settings for that server.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Atomizer posted:

First, you can always disable the ISP's gateway's AP and add your own wireless access point, including a dual-band one with 2.4 & 5 GHz, which will likely be better than what you're dealing with now. This is what I've done with my home network for years; it just plugs into the network switch built into your gateway.

The Compute Stick is low-end, likely not capable of transcoding and possibly barely capable of functioning as a direct-streaming server, depending on the specific specs and whatever else it's doing simultaneously. This is likely why you're having better luck manually transferring the file and playing it locally instead of trying to get your PMS to stream it.

It will help to troubleshoot this if you shut down PMS on the Compute Stick. If you have two servers running, ideally you have unique names assigned to them so you can tell them apart, but with the UI update it's harder to differentiate between them, because it seems like they simplified the interface so that normally you don't switch between your servers and just search for content across all of them. Below is where you'd switch servers, though, if more than one are running for the signed-in account:

Again, shutting down your original PMS will help here. Note that you're not "adding" a second server with a discrete step, you just install PMS on a new system and connect it to your account and it will be available for access when it's online. Note that there may be an issue with two Plex servers on the same network; when I was playing around with the WD PR4100 I could get it to work but it seemed like either it or my main PMS were available at one time while on the same network, not both simultaneously.

Yeah, somethign must be up with the server app on my laptop. I shut down my compute stick server and all the laptop is saying is that server isn't available. There arent options to select another one from the drop down you highlighted.

I looked at the stuff on this page:
https://support.plex.tv/articles/204604227-why-can-t-the-plex-app-find-or-connect-to-my-plex-media-server/

But even things like http://localhost:32400/web dont load anything even when the server app is running so i don't really know what to do next.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

If, when using the box that you're trying to run the Plex server from, that doesn't work - your Plex server isn't even running.

Yeah, that's what i mean. I downloaded the Plex Server application, installed and ran it and i can see it active in the task manager, but it's just not activating.

edit: even after uninstalling/reinstalling it did the same thing.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

A few weeks back plex media player updated on my second device (i've got a separate server streaming the media over wifi), but since this update there's now an occasional lag when playing videos.

The lag/stutter only lasts a few seconds and the audio continues while the picture freezes, but it definitely only started happening after the update.

Is there a setting that's maybe been tripped or some steps i can take to troubleshoot? Or should i basically just re-install the plex media player.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So, i just upgraded from a 55" to a TV" TV and i'm noticing that the framerate on stuff i'm playing via the plex app now has a noticable, but slightly slower framerate.

I've got a plex server upstairs streaming over wifi to a computestick plugged into the back of the TV. It's the same setup as with the 55" but there weren't issues like this on it.

I think windows has automatically upped the resolution and scale which might be impacting things, but was wondering if there's anything in the plex settings that i should look at too?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

There's been a plex media server update that i've not been able to install via the interface for the last month.

I tried downloading the latest plex server file from the site but the install breaks when it seems to be looking for the installer of a previous version of plex (i'm not sure why it couldn't find it).

Anyway, i figured i'd do a fresh install but that seems to have made things worse. Uninstalling it doesn't seem to have uninstalled it. I looked at the less than useful plex forums and was guided to find and install an older version of plex after deleting a registry file, the install folders and the media server from the devices on my plex account.

None of that worked though.

Now i'm in the situation where the latest plex server installer cant find the previous version and the older version of the installer says that there's a newer version already installed.

I got a refurbed optiplex from ebay for the plex server pre-installed with Windows 10 and i was thinking of just doing a complete windows reset to bypass the headache, but the reset option is asking for the installation medium (like USB or disc) which it didn't come with so i'm pretty sure i'm stuck there for that route.

Is there a reliable way to clean plex out of a machine or is it pretty much hosed unless i find a way to reset windows?

edit: I went and bought the lifetime pass a week or so back and I'm kinda annoyed that something like this is happening. I had to go to a 3rd party site to get old versions of the installers too, it just feels so slapshot.

Kin fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So, at some point in the last 3 hours all of the devices on my home network have suddenly stopped being able to access my master server remotely.

This seemed to have happened in the background as we were streaming something to the TV via its plex app.

I've restarted the physical computer it's running from, installed any lingering plex updates and doublechecked it on the same wifi network (it is).

When i boot up the master server it loads up on the machine fine and i can run all of the content. However, when i try to access the server via the webclient at app.plex.tv, i can log in but it can't find the server.

The webclient also seems to have a new bluish interface that isn't the same one that loads up when i run the media server, but i dunno if that has anything to do with it.

My next stop is to clear my cookies and restart again but does anyone know what else i should try?

edit:

I'm wondering if it's the remote access settings bugging out for some reason (even though it shouldn't be remote access on my home network as far as i'm aware).

When i load up the plex server it says that it's not available outside your network, however there's a number in the manually specified public port box below that already. When i hit the retry button next to that it then tells me that the server is fully accessible outside my network.

But, still no dice with app.plex.tv on the same machine and when i refresh the browser tab for the server the message reverts back to saying it's not available outside my network.

I'm a bit stumped now to be honest because i've restarted everything (including my home network) i'm out of things i can think to try short of uninstalling everything and trying to set it all up from scratch.

Kin fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 18, 2021