Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If I'm migrating from a single Kodi to Plex and I want to sync "watched" status, is the easiest way to get a Trakt account and link it to both then kill it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Plex apps on iOS/tvOS seem like garbage... click "Play" and nothing happens, or if I restart the Plex server it might stream then pause or put up a spinner at random intervals. My server is a multicore Xeon and the apple TV is on the (wired) LAN. Is that to be expected?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

Nope, something is hosed with your Plex set up. Is your server transcoding? Are you accessing your content remotely? Or local network?

I figured out what was hosed with my Plex app... apparently putting the Library config dir in the container on to an nfs mount wasn't giving it the love it needed. I moved the Plex config / library directory to a virtio-backed disk and it is working fine now. Lesson learned.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I feel like I’m missing an easy solution but to get Subtitles available I have to go to a specific episode and go to Settings and choose Subtitles away from “Off”. Then and only then does flipping the top bar during the episode to “Auto” or “CC” actually do anything.

Is there a way to get Subtitles enabled by default or at least configure them per series?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys. Yes this is an Apple TV. Although now I have the opposite problem, subtitles are always on! In the Apple TV client I just want the option to go to the top and choose whether to play the, for that episode or not.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

So the app downloads from the App Store and enables experimental features if I’m a Plex pass subscriber?

I am also interested in this answer. You’d think if it were the same app they’d brag about the cool Plex Pass poo poo on the update change notes

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had problems the other night with a 2160p rip... I thought this would be fine since my Plex client is an ATV 4K but I got a “this Plex server is not powerful enough” about three seconds in.

I have a pretty beefy host (Xeon D-1541 8C/16T), it’s all Gigabit Ethernet, so what gives? Thanks to this thread I tried the “experimental player” checkbox and it didn’t work any differently, it sure wasn’t direct playing! It did randomly crash while playing other videos so I reverted.

Plex server was running in an LXC container with 4 virtual cores but I could bump it up, are there any guidelines or other ways to get this to Direct Play?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks everyone for the help with 2160p rips and my ATV 4K. I have added MOAR CORES to the Plex LXC container so it can transcode if needed.

I really hope the Plex ATV app and server keep evolving so it Direct plays with other containers but in the meantime thanks for the obvious tip of remuxing.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I’m interested in the Plex DVR thing. I thought tuners were still PCI cards and realized the supported ones all looked like USB. I actually don’t have many USB ports on my case (Node 804) and would be doing device pass through from Proxmox to an LXC container.

Does anyone have a strong recommendation for a tuner? I’d want to run a standard F connector cable tv cable out from it since my servers are in the basement.

Will this pass the wife test (she already uses Plex) and worth cancelling YouTube TV for this season when all our TV is OTA anyway ?

EDit: actually looks like the HDhomerun duo has Ethernet and thus I could keep my tuner and plex box away from each other. Does this work well? I definitely have Ethernet between them. Is transcoding an issue?

Hed fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 1, 2019

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Through service at three addresses I’ve never needed to clone the MAC on FiOS

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have an HDHomeRun Duo controlled by Plex but I’m having the damndest time getting the DVR to work. I set it up to record a show every day (Jeopardy) but all my episodes are like 47 seconds, maybe every now and then I’ll get a 10 minute one.

I turned off the “Remove Commercials” feature so it should be set for a 30 minute recording from the guide. Have plenty of free space. Any ideas?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
go to the web interface, make a managed user called “Kids”, then tag all your kid-friendly media to a new label that is a label the Kids user can see. Then they have a white list of what they’re allowed to watch, by selecting the Kids user when they launch Plex.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to get Podcasts excluded from my music search in the iPhone app? I have all of the Podcast media types disabled and plugins disabled but they keep cropping up.

I’m ok with zero results if I don’t have the song.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

I actually was going to but I remember doing this with my DVD collection back in the day and it never seemed to work right. Audio would always be out of sync or programs would choke on it or something IIRC.

So here's the funny thing. I specifically googled "Daniel Tiger Plex episode name problems" and got a bunch of forum posts. I found a solution with a script called DVDOrderAgent. I was messing around in Plex for almost an hour trying to figure out why the hell it wasn't showing up before I realized I had to exit the Plex program and open it up again.

Once I changed the show's agent (under "Fix Match) to TheTVDVDdborder, it rescanned everything and it fixed it! All the episodes are now in Plex properly. The funny part? The only ones that aren't are the two episodes it recorded today :psyduck:

These aren't new episodes (it says first aired 2017) so it's not that the info isn't on TVDVD yet. I am guessing it's going to continue forward with newly-recorded episodes with the wrong information and I have no idea why. Even when I re-scan the entire show, the episodes recorded today are the only ones not properly showing up in Plex.

The two on the left are named correctly and were recorded a few days ago, the two on the right were recorded today and will not show up correctly:

What the hell

So I tried doing this by going into a TV Show and changing Episode Ordering to "DVD Order" but it didn't seem to work. Still only one episode will be reflected for a given 30 minute show. I investigated that agent and it looked like it was integrated into Plex now?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
In the new Plex layout (this is on an ATV4) what is the way to force a refresh of the content for your view?

In our TV shows last night we were missing two new episodes listed that were there if you went out to the Main section and saw the recordings in the “what’s new” row, so Plex clearly knows about them, but they weren’t in TV Shows until we dorked around with some filters than turned them off; there’s almost no way that’s how it is supposed to be done.

In the layout a few weeks ago you could go to the top menubar and click “Refresh” and everything would show up.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had to do this recently and it involved going to the Plex web front end, clicking the ellipsis on the show, and changing it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I updated to the latest PMS and everything is running super slow: browsing thumbnails, spinning before I hit play. It’s acting like when I had the container’s metadata hosted on an NFS share (awful). It looks like the file I/o is fine.
Is there a way to regenerate or clean up cruft in the database? I’m guessing at what could be the cause here.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I’d love to be able to turn it off, but will it still show up in my mobile search results?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I even tried to get SubZero and Subtitles providers to work (paid) but I could never get the “go back and grab for this series” to work correctly.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
For true bridge mode, using your own hardware on FiOS is super easy; AT&T is obnoxious by comparison. You need to pass the auth packets to your AT&T hardware, so at a minimum it will need to be on your network somewhere, preferably off to the side. There are robust instructions on how to do this for Ubiquiti EdgeRouters and also if you run pfSense.

You can probably get where you want without true bridge mode, just following those DMZ directions.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Not sure if I just now noticed or this was in an update, but Jesus I hate how even Plexamp now puts podcast results in when I’m searching my music.

Makes me think I have song matches when I don’t have any. Is there any way to disable this?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My Plex player must have updated on the Apple TV, now it’s doing the Netflix thing I hate where it is going to auto play the next episode.

Does anyone know where I can turn this off? All I see in options are things to use the old player.

Edit: this is Player 7.0 and “Auto Play”, which looks like it would control this option, remains off.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Interesting. It has been off but sure was doing the countdown like it was going to go ahead and do it. Maybe next time I’ll let it go and see if it follows through, even though that option is off? My Apple TV is set to auto update and is wired in, not sure how long it normally waits between updates. Thanks for the confirmation.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yep.

I can't wait for them to automatically stick their Live TV into my sources with every update like they do for their Movies & TV Shows source. It's super annoying having to remove it from my side bar every loving time.

Yes, between this and giving me search results for lovely podcasts and stuff that isn’t on my media, it’s making me extremely curmudgeonly.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

Does anyone know what I have to do to make Plex iOS never, ever auto-play the next episode in a TV series? I don't know what does it but sometimes I'll start a show and even though I have auto play off it'll just play until I stop it. I watch Plex to fall asleep and I don't like waking up to find out it's been playing Simpsons episodes for like 2 hours. Right now the only thing that works is to start an episode and then manually clear the queue, but that also means a poo poo load of taps when I do want the next episode.

I had this issue on tvOS, and eventually went away. I chalked it up to Apple TV being the only thing I’ve set to auto update apps and when that happens in the middle of viewing sometimes those settings don’t sync.

At least that was my working hypothesis. As someone who posted here to mysteries about it, I sympathize!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My Plex DVR always craps out after a few weeks.

I'll go in the Plex web interface and the guide will update and everything will be groovy. Then a few weeks later, it's like the guide runs out... all my local channels say "Unknown Airing", going to the Guide in the Plex client on Apple TV says "Guide is Unavailable" and a Retry instantly fails...and the DVR Schedule becomes completely blank.

Nothing obvious in the Plex logs or scheduled tasks but I don't know what I'm looking for... shouldn't the server know to go out and update the guide occasionally on its own?

Hed fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 23, 2021

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks, I tried this and appears to be working now. But no one emailed me or anything.

I’m sure I’ll be back again in a few weeks when I outrun my Guide.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a Plex honeypot on 32400 where every movie and TV Show above a 7 rating is listed and it just streams Rebecca Black music videos when you play.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a guide to which logs have what in them? Looking for network or crash issues.

In the last week I started getting a seemingly random (couple of times over a 30 minute episode) error where playback stops and it says I’ve lost connection with the Plex server.

Everything’s on a local LAN, hard wired, and I haven’t made any intentional network changes lately.

Plex is in an LXC container on proxmox, container looks stable

I tailed the main log but when the event happened it just appeared to rotate (tail -f stopped) and there was no crash info in the new log.

The Apple TV client has no connectivity issues with anything else.

edit: just happened again message on the client UI is “Can’t continue playback because the connection with your server was lost”

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Even though I've been using the new one since it was released, I switched my ATV Plex client to use the old player and haven't had any issues.

WTF v:shobon:v

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Update on my crash: I checked the system logs instead of the plex logs and realize I'm getting oom-killed.

code:
[7541414.080990] Memory cgroup out of memory: Killed process 22963 (Plex Media Serv) total-vm:12721008kB, anon-rss:4152616kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:0kB, UID:100108 pgtables:16444kB oom_score_adj:0
Very weird, the LXC container has had 3GiB for ages, I just upped to 4, but still having issues. The total-vm (12GB) seems pretty runaway... any ideas on what's going on here?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

cruft posted:

The virtual memory includes memory mapped I/O, like libraries. You'll want to focus on the rss.

Sorry I don't have an answer for your primary question, though.

Thanks! I didn’t realize mmio was in the total-vm count so that makes sense.

H110Hawk posted:

Gonna blow your mind here: `tail -F log` will periodically check the filehandle for freshness and make sure you're tailing the live file. This is how you can leave a log tailing "forever" through rotations.

Remember that even if you haven't updated your plex LXC container the appletv one force updates without your permission any time Plex tells it to do so, which can have odd interactions with your server. I would try giving plex an unlimited amount of ram (triple or quadruple your current amount) and see if it solves the issue. Run a database optimize, clean bundles, and perhaps just upgrade plex itself if you haven't in a long time. In the Troubleshooting section of your server admin panel (towards the bottom of the left hand sections) you can download all the logs and just have a look see there as well asynchronously. Do it right after a crash.

Thank you. I didn’t know about tail -F.

I only occasionally update the container’s server software so you’re right with the Apple TV it’s hard to peg to a certain client/server software combo but I did just put it up to 8GB/8GB swap. It’s not a huge deal to throw hardware at it since I have 96GB on the box but still odd it’s now a problem. I haven’t really been around to see if this fixes.

I will try the optimize/bundles stuff and see if that drops consumption at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why does Plex on tvOS have such a problem playing 4K HDR stuff? I thought it was 4K stuff but it turns out the problems are HDR in MKV HEVC containers. Everything else I throw at it seems fine.

This is on an Apple TV 4K (the 2nd revision, with the nice controller) on an LG C1, 1Gb Ethernet with Plex server local.