Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Skeezy posted:

This is going to sound pretty lame because it involves anime but I have a question concerning anime and seasons.

I'm trying to get the series Fairy Tail to work through Plex without it labeling it under "Season 01". The series has 177 episodes currently and while I know some places have them labeled under different seasons I would rather have it so when I click the Anime folder it goes "Anime > Fairy Tail > all episodes".

Is there a way to ditch the "season 1" thing, or on the flip get it to be labeled under seasons properly?

Hi, welcome to TheTVDB's major problem. They have 0 clue how to handle anime. They're so annoyed by anime nerds that they lock 99% of them and just won't answer posts to fix them without an act from congress. Plex addons for other scrapers don't work half as well so it's 1 giant irritation. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

withak posted:

To be fair, anime nerds have brought this on themselves.

Yes and no. This is like saying gun owners brought any gun issue on themselves. There are dumb fans and smart fans. Those of us who are trying to just clean things up with sources, that TVDB have deemed proper, are ignored because the idiot fans are running around and doing whatever. There are QUITE a number of series that are locked "until the new site comes up". That message was used as an excuse 2 years ago and is still used today. There are shows that are just plain wrong. This show for example has 1 season with the total episodes for the run. Seasons 2-4 are the same episodes split into arcs. They also don't follow their own rules for the most part.

TheTVDB posted:

What Qualifies as a Series:
A series is exactly what it sounds like, a sequence of shows. If a show on TV isn't a series, it doesn't belong here, with the exception of documentaries (see "Documentaries" in this post). This means that made-for-TV movies, single episode specials, and the like should not be listed on theTVdb. These should be included in your movies directories as most movie database websites (IMDB, TMDb, etc.) take care of them. If in doubt, post in the forums before adding a series.

There are movies listed in TV series as specials. Pointing out these are movies are ignored or met with an excuse. There are also shows that are treated as seasons of the same show instead of seperate shows. The answer is "same universe. same show". This is regardless of if that actually fits the description.

I rant because it's very frustrating and there is no option because most applications like Sickbeard and Plex use TVDB so we're forced to use 3rd party things to just have a semblance of organization. I understand that having seasons as the US audience knows is different from how Japan or even the UK handles things but shutting everyone out is not the way to fix it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is there a way to check for channels on Plex without your own server? My PC is down right this minute but wanted to check for a ustream channel possibly.

I've got 1 TV I actually watch live ever and it gets re-streamed through UStream and my Chromecast is being a dick right now :(

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm not sure if it's a Roku issue or a Plex issue but occasionally, subtitles will just not bother loading. Plex sees them and they're turned on but nothing displays. I've tried other devices in test and they seem to work fine. Is there a particular format Plex likes more than others?

I also tried the Burn-in subtitles feature but still nothing.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Atomizer posted:

I don't think anyone would mind you contributing relevant information to a community-run database.... :psyduck:

A "community" run database that may or may not lock your poo poo after they change it to their rules which don't really follow anyone else's despite being wrong. :eng99:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

calandryll posted:

Yeah about 5 TB of space free. So plenty if space. Files play fine in other media players. Plex is just not seeing any new files in the last few days.

Check your status for error messages. I installed the UBlock Origin for WebSockets and then Plex stopped updating that same way because it couldn't listen for updates.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Tyson Tomko posted:

I'm pretty drat spergy and anal about my files (personal/tax stuff, pics, music, movies/tv shows, etc) and I've amassed a monster collection over the years but I still don't hand a candle to that dude. I can't even imagine what it would be like to house 30++ active drives. I could almost do this now if I wanted to myself but man, the electricity factor alone is such a huge turn off to me it's not even funny. Even if the guy has a huge house and it's no big deal turning a spare bedroom into a server closet, that's still super wasteful in my opinion.

I've been running Plex for a good year+ at this point, and I'm just now getting my friends/family added so they can access my library from anywhere. My older brother said this was really badass, and the only way it would be perfect is if it could do music too. As you can guess, when I gave him the good news there he was basically flipping out. And for the record, the first clip every played remotely from my Plex server was the American Gladiators intro flv ripped from youtube eons ago.

How would you even list that in Plex? Lord knows TVDB doesn't do odd stuff like sports and one off videos.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I feel like adding some new plugins. I know I can just go look around but what do other goons use? It's more of a curiosity than needing recommendations.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Zogo posted:

I think there are programs to convert .rear end to .srt

I've never seen .rear end before though.

.rear end and .srt are just text files. Rename them and you're done. If I remember correctly, the difference is in subtitle styling which Plex ignores anyway.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Talk of raid always reminds me of a quote "Raid 0 is exactly how much data you'll get back if a drive dies"

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

feedmegin posted:

No? I can stream Plex to my Roku without internet just fine, which is nice if it does happen to be out.

Weird. My Roku wouldn't see the Plex server I had locally while my internet was out. I think I'm just cursed when it comes to Roku though. Lots of crashing\weird behavior.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Ixian posted:

Other than Trakt I am not sure if there is an easy way to do this though perhaps someone else knows.

Have you run into an issue where remote users (ex: friends) using plex will mark stuff watched in your trait if the channel is installed?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Has anyone had an issue with Plex being unstable after the 3.9.1 patch on Windows? Mine crashes daily and has issues refreshing my libraries if it is running.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I've run into an issue twice where Plex just forgets I have any media in my folders. If I do a scan, I can see the bar at the bottom finding things but nothing actually shows up in the Library.

Filenames haven't changed since it worked. If I do a repair, there's a chance that it'll work again until I reboot. All media is stored on a NAS mapped to drives on the PC PMS is on.

Anyone have any ideas?

Version 1.10.1.4602

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Has anyone run into an issue with short videos where auto-play will just skip an episode?

If we go back and tell it to replay the missed episode, it’ll work fine so I know it isn’t the file.

For more clarity, the timeline goes

Episode starts
10 seconds later Plex skips to the next episode
Plays next episode fine

Only on shorter shows oddly.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Enos Cabell posted:

You should make a goon torrent once you've fixed all the metadata for Plex :angel:

drat, I thought that poo poo died long time ago.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

haha I'd be happy to but you'd all probably be mad the way I encoded them. I set it in handbrake to rip them at 8mbps to mp4 because I didn't want any quality loss, and typical DVDs are 8mbps. So my torrent would be just as large as the DVD ISO one. But yeah, I did all the annoying ripping and converting and naming work already so if someone really wants them I am sure we can figure something out.

I don't think size is a concern my dude. That is a ton of work.

FCKGW posted:

We really need some sort of decentralized open-source TVDB. Preferably on the blockchain.

I’ll start the wiki.

I've wanted a better TVDB for years but getting stuff to move to it is the hard part.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Yeah man I am currently battling episodes of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood and its titles. I have it recording from the antenna on my roof to the HD Homerun Connect and Plex records the episodes. Even with Plex handling literally everything, all the episode names are messed up because the show is 30 minutes long, with two 15 minute episodes for each episode (just like Beavis and Butthead now that I think about it), and Plex even names the file names themselves properly. But the metadata is completely wrong because it shows up as one 30 minute episode instead of two 30 minute episodes, and everything is completely out of wack as a result and it's probably going to miss recording a ton of episodes because it thinks I have them already. 1st world problems I know but I used two goddamn ladders to get on my roof in 35 degree weather just for this one show and TVDB is messing with me.

Keep in mind, TVDB tends to lean towards each title = episode. Daniel Tiger and other shows like it basically spawn 2 episodes per actual 30 min run time. I run into the same issue a lot. Kid shows are murderous for this.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm running into a kinda weird issue. I've got 1 TV show and 1 movie that just can't seem to grab metadata. Plex knows what they are. I've done a "Fix Match" on both. Cleared the agent cache. It just spins and never finds anything.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

BoyBlunder posted:

Try renaming the file? IIRC, Plex is picky about the naming and chokes if something is like Movie_1.mkv instead of like Snow.White.mkv.

Both are named to Plex standards. I even rebooted the server to make sure it wasn't just a weird connection problem.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

teagone posted:

Do the 'Plex Dance' for each of those items.

Cut/paste them outside of your library folders. Have Plex scan your libraries. When Plex can't find those files, empty trash to delete their entries. Then clean bundles. Then add the items back to library folders. Scan libraries. Should scrape just fine then. If not, do the Plex Dance again.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/the-plex-dance/197064

Did it twice. No dice. :(

derk posted:

can you post the filenames and folder structure you are using?

Movies\Annabelle (2014)\Annabelle.mkv

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Laserface posted:

Try removing the parentheses from the folder name because as i mentioned up thread that was loving me over after a recent update to either server or player and that was the only thing that fixed it.

It would make sense that it's a recent bug. Everything else has been present previous to this. I'll have to test that.

teagone posted:

I'm pretty OCD about my file naming and folder hierarchy and never had an issue I couldn't fix using the Plex Dance. I also have every file nested inside their own folder for neatness. Everyone should do the folder nesting method imo — https://support.plex.tv/articles/200381023-naming-movie-files/

I do the same.

teagone posted:

The folder name doesn't really matter. It's the file name. Add the year to the filename — Annabelle (2014).mkv — and see if that helps.

I'll give that a shot. It might be what the bug is Laserface mentioned.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I've got some spare PC parts laying around for possibly making a Plex server.

Would an older i5 (Around 4-5 years old), integrated video, SSD, 8GB of DDR3(?) RAM do just fine for things? I don't share too much because my upload is poo poo.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

KingKapalone posted:

I asked this last page and was told to "Click Plugins - Trak.tv - Sync -Full to do a catch-up." but those aren't options I see in the plugin. Anyone else able to check?

Also, I share access to my server to people with their own logins. Trakt is picking up what they watch and adding it to my trakt account. That seems really odd and obviously not ideal. Any settings to fix that?

Last time I ran that plugin, I didn't see any. It's a big reason I stopped using it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Just a shot in the dark, does anyone have a Plex Pass $75 code they don't need?

The DVR setup just requires a tuner card and active "cable" or antenna? It might be worth it for some stuff.

Does it integrate with your shows already on Plex? If I DVR Supernatural and I've already got the previous seasons ripped, does it just show there?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

EL BROMANCE posted:

From what I remember, they're tied to the account they were emailed to.

drat. I got one that expired in Nov 2018 when I couldn't afford it. Now that I can, I'm hoping another one shows up.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Anyone having troubles pulling Movie metadata? I've done the plex dance and even changed agents with no luck. :(

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I had to get a new TV cause the old one died. I'm getting buffering when trying to play a HEVC 4k HDR 10bit mkv. I'm not sure if the bottleneck is my wireless, the TV, my Roku, or my PC.

TV: LG C9
PC: Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: 1660ti

Wireless is AC at least I believe.

Any ideas? I did see that subtitles make it transcode so I'm not quite sure how I'm going to get around that as I need subtitles pretty much all the time.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

teagone posted:

A Ryzen 5 should have no problem transcoding video with burned subs. Do you have a Plex Pass/HW encoding enabled? Were you able to stream 4K wirelessly fine on the old TV?

I didn't have a 4k previously. I enabled HW encoding last night so I'll give it a shot again tonight to see if it helped.

Later edit: Enabling HW doesn’t make much difference. I even turned off burning subs in as a test.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 15, 2019

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

teagone posted:

Oh, wait, it's a Roku? Or the TV's plex app?

[edit] Either way, hardwire everything to rule out wifi.

TheScott2K posted:

You have AC wireless but are you sure your Roku isn't just N? A PC and a client sharing an N network with imperfect signal could have trouble keeping up.

I've got a premier which has AC but I think I've got a long enough ethernet cable to try running it wired to see. I figured it was either the wireless or my PC.

Nairbo posted:

If you're using a C9 I wouldn't bother with the Roku. The WebOS Plex app is pretty good and I use it over even the Shield which is universally considered to be the best Plex player. It plays more content natively, for example it works on higher Ref Frames for direct playing videos than the Roku does.

I've been indecisive on it. I'll probably switch over to it fully instead of my Roku unless I'm feeling like I'm missing an app, but so far, I'm not.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I tried Ethernet for my 4K buffering issues. Of course, it fixed it but I had to use the TV’s install of Plex. I don’t mind but I weep for my beautiful posters. Now I just need to figure out getting subtitles on it since those seem hit or miss.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I could probably get it to work on wireless but it's an excuse to finally run ethernet from my office closet to my living room for everything I have in there. :shrug: I didn't realize until after I made the post that I never did Ethernet to the Roku to test so it may be perfectly fine. I'll test it some time next week and see. It's finally cooling down here and my brother has a wall fishing kit so it won't be a big deal.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I am thoroughly confused.

My setup:

Synology DS213j w\ 2x8TB drives -> Gigabit router-> Plex on my PC

TV is on Powerline adapter but Netflix speed test is getting around 70 Mbps to their servers.

I tried running ethernet directly from the router to the TV and it still buffers.

1080p is fine. Wireless or Wired.

4K buffers regardless of connection.

PC:
Ryzen 5 1600
16GB DDR 4
GTX 1660ti
Plex itself is on an SSD (just weeding out possibles)
Hardware Acceleration is on

Any ideas why I'd be unable to do 4K encodes to a Roku or LG C9 TV? I've tried Plex on both.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 2, 2020

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Install Tautulli and see what exactly it’s doing. Could be a variety of reasons but easier to work it backwards. Do these files contain enabled subtitles? That’s often a falling over point.

They do. I'll try turning it off and using Tautulli to see what's going on.

Edit:

https://imgur.com/a/pLcv5sK are the results from trying to play a 4k. It looks like it's transcoding audio? If that's my issue then I can fix with handbrake, right?

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 3, 2020

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

THF13 posted:

For Irritated Goat the TVs/roku might not be able to handle the bitrates of the files you are trying to play. I don't know what their specs are precisely, but the latest Amazon 4k fire stick is only specced to handle 35Mbps h265 videos.

It ended up being the audio. Roku or my LG TV can't handle TrueHD so switching to a handled format and turning off subs makes it work fine. I do need to figure out how to do subs since I have issues hearing.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Gay Retard posted:

I’ve been holding out hope that the Shield TV can eventually be found for under $100. I just can’t justify $200 for the normal shield when my Roku 4K stick does the job most of the time with local content.

If I recall, Shield can be used as a Plex server so your 4K stick is still useful.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I've seen a few people bypass TVDB by using .nfo files. I know you have to throw in a 3rd party module but A: Is that gonna stay working? B: Is there a decent template?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

fluppet posted:

The plugin to use themoviedb as an agent exists for a reason

I've run into stuff tmdb doesn't have so I'm stuck. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

TheScott2K posted:

loving Paw Patrol

I just do those as 01x01-02. It annoys me when I look at the list on Plex as it skips numbers but it works.

For the anime question a couple of pages ago:

I add them in as Anime. Tag them with something like the show name. Create a profile for my desired release group that requires the group's name and the tag for the show. Boom. I rarely have any issues. It's only when I dump in a full season do I have to massage it a bit.