Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Opportunity. At last! Conrad steps forward, having donned his only fine tabard in case he'd have to impress a potential employer. He fails to look as resplendent as he feels.

"I am Conrad, a swordsman by vocation and trade, and I find this cause to my taste. Reclaiming a castle from monsters is no mean feat. Is there anything else to know about it?"

It only just now occurs to Conrad that he's signed up with up to ten other people sight unseen. He silently prays to whatever deity will listen that his comrades-to-be don't end up being an unsavoury bunch of thugs...

Obligatory first post stats.

pre:
AC: 3    HP: 8    Gold: 10   Alignment: L

STR* 14 +1     Poison/Death Ray:       12
INT  10 +0     Magic Wand:             13
WIS  11 +0     Stone/Paralysis:        14
DEX  8  -1     Dragon Breath:          15
CON  10 +0     Spells / Rods/ Staves:  16
CHA  10 +0     Retainers / Morale:    4/7

Hit Roll Chart (Str)
 9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1  0 -1 -2
 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Hit Roll Chart (Dex)
 9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1  0 -1
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 (21)

xp adjustment: +5% (If used)

Encumbrance: 700cn

Normal Speed:    90
Running Speed:   90
Encounter Speed: 30

Proficiency: If I see it I wield it
Languages: Common and Lawful

Armament:
Normal Sword (1d8, +1 from strength)
Plate Mail (AC 3)
Shield (+1 bonus to AC)
Short Bow (1d6)
Quiver (20 arrows)

Equipment:
Backpack
Large Sack
Lantern
2 Oil Flasks
Tinderbox
Wineskin(full)
12 Iron Spikes
Small Hammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad
+50-2=58gp. Also do we gain 50xp+5% for this gold? :v:

"Mysterious cloaked figures? It seems as if there is more to this castle than a monster clearing. Not that this alone would not a perfectly valorous task for a band of warriors, of course, but could there be more to this?

At least the lack of locks won't affect us. I have brought with me plenty of spikes. Hope you don't mind a little wood damage in an emergency, master Caldwell."

I'll be a mapper, sure. No idea if this will work. We could also use some easy way of tracking marching order.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"I'll take one of the lead positions. I'm fairly useless with a bow I'm afraid, old childhood injury, so I would be of less use at the back."

He begins packing his nice red tabard away and brings out more segments of armour, quickly and expertly tying and locking them in place.

"Lady... Sara, was it? You seem to be of a, well, scoutly persuasion. If you could stay close to assist in detecting danger, it would be appreciated. Simply duck behind us in case of threats. After all..."

"...We're more equipped for it."

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

ProfessorCirno posted:

"...it does not surprise me there is a wizard amongst this rabble. They can be attracted to such evil activities, you know. Ah, present company excluded. Of course."

Something about what... Rogar? Regdar? said seemed off, but Conrad can't quite put his finger on it.

"I'm sure we will rotate duties as injuries are accrued, Sir... Warrior."

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"Stand like a rock", father had said, "and let them crash around you like the wave."

Well, the wave was spilling over now and hurting people. Thanks, dad.

A 1d6 roll: 1d6 2
If this is Individual Initiative, I have an extra -1 from my Dexterity. Because I am totally great.

Conrad slices at the closest Goblin to his left. Or any Goblin left once everyone else goes first.
Attack!: 1d20 16
Here's how this works, for the newcomers: I look at my Melee combat chart and find 16 in the top row since that's what I rolled. This determines that I will hit a creature of AC 2 or above. Since this is a Goblin I assume I hit.

Damage: 1d8+1 7.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 2, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"A brother of mine would say the best way would be to slay them all as they sleep. I'm glad you don't share his view on that."

Conrad is also decidedly looking away from anyone who decides to take their purses. He knows how this works.

"Huw, it's your call as to whether you switch out for someone unwounded for now. Sara, same for you. As for right now, I suggest taking on the room to our left and clearing it. It's better to be systematic about these things."

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad
I took the liberty of adding the coins to a bag for now, we'll divvy them up later. I'll take the encumbrance hit. I'm also editing the recruit post directly for updates.

"We should not split the party. I suggest we clear the rooms to our left and right, single file if necessary. That order is as good as any, and it helps to know our exit is secure if we need to hurry away. And if someone does attack our rear, Sir... our archer is there." Was his name Robilar? Damnable memory.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"I have no idea what's going on but if this means we don't fight I'm for it."

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"The safest thing to do is probably to spike the door shut for now. We'll hear if someone tries to bash it open. The downside, of course, is that it will take time to get it open again, but we can handle that.

So, what was that thing the Goblin said about the statue? We should look into this. Robert, will you take the lead this time?"

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"Oh! The statue speaks!"

Conrad speaks in Lawful. It's kind of weird.

"So what do you do, statue?"

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"The statue claims that it will answer any three questions about this castle per day to any who align themselves to law, and then be silent until the next day. And while I too am curious about where it came from, I suspect it could tell us where potential threats are! We can ask it again once the castle is clear.

Tell us, Statue, what beings aside from ourselves are in this castle and where might they be found?"

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"We should consider it, perhaps, but it seems too heavy. A final question then for now; Who made you, Statue?"

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Conrad rests and reflects on events. He feels they surely could have gone further if they'd simply rotated duties around, but... well, he couldn't protect everyone behind him, and they were more vulnerable. Caution was probably for the best.

He decides to invest in a Polearm. If the party can advance in two ranks of armed warriors, he can stand in the second at the ready, able to strike at any who come close. Maybe he'd take this up with Roderick later.

Bath first, though. And some way to keep the coins safe while in the dungeon. Perhaps he should simply hire the room for the entire week and find a loose floorboard...

Subtracting 7gp for a nice Pole Arm (a halberd), not a knight's weapon but what's a horseless, landless man to do? Also someone get those gems appraised they mean XP too.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"An excellent investment, sir cleric!" I can contribute it in the form of 400 silver, hope the shopkeep enjoys counting.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Conrad had not spent much time socializing with the others. Certainly today was a victory, but they should proceed at a greater pace, reorganize, discuss tactics...

Perhaps he was just a tad uptight after all. He would serve in the second rank with a Halberd next time. Who knew what would happen tomorrow?

-2gp for the "room"

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"We will know further questions to ask when we explore more. Let's be methodical about this, whichever way we go. West is as good as any."

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Conrad whispers.

"I feel someone should listen at the door. My helmet obscures my hearing. Huw, when we are satisfied, you can break the door and I will fall in right behind you with my halberd."

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"I'm too bemused to object, sir. Thank you for your assistance."

Well that was interesting.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Conrad hefts his Halberd.

Initiative (I will automatically lose it due to halberd): 1d20-1 1

The old injury reminds him that it exists. You will be a liability, the landed Knight had said.

Conrad waits for the beasts to come and strikes at a wolf from behind the front line...

Attack a wolf: 1d20+1 4. No need to roll damage.

If he could not be as limber as other hopeful squires, Conrad would be tough. He would shield those who needed it. And was that not the essence of Knighthood?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Get a grip, Conrad, time your attack...

Attack a wolf: 1d20+1 15. Hit AC 3.

...and make it solid.

Damage a wolf: 1d10+1 6

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Smacking a wolf and having one bounce off his armor has really got Conrad's confidence going.

Attack a wolf: 1d20+1 6

His overconfidence, that is. He interposes himself between the enemy and his allies again. Don't forget that my AC right now is 4, not 3, due to not wearing a shield.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"Goblins sometimes ride wolves to battle. They find kinship with the more predatory animals of the wild. I doubt this was as serious as that, though."

Room 27 sounds fine to me.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"I, uh, I'm not a hunting man. Do as seems best?"

Conrad checks the windowsills and sifts through the trash in the meantime. Could be something useful.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

quote:

"Why do you think they're living here? I mean, something's got to be feeding all of this stuff, right? Wolves, goblins, where is the food supply? There aren't reports of raids on the town, but they have to be living somehow..."

Conrad is pretty glad from the distraction from... preparing wolves.

"As I recall... and I learned this from my town's cleric as a child, so take it as you will... Goblins will simply infest any dwelling they can and then naturally accelerate its state of decay. But I am curious about how organized they truly are, as you are. They are rarely cautious enough to not engage in raiding unless there is someone powerful enough to dissuade them. Or hold their reins."

Conrad kicks listlessly at the remains of what may once have been a chair.

"The only way to resolve that question is to explore further, I suppose."

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Room 29: Bedroom - Castle Caldwell

Conrad, following Huw, also checks all places that are out of the dwarf's reach. Without saying that he's doing so out loud.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"Hold a moment. This chest could have been tampered with by the castle's denizens. We should ask Sara to test it."

Assuming Gale's up for it of course! Conrad still searches as before, looking more high than low.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"Not a bad plan, Amelaide. I would suggest fortifying near the entrance and posting guards to see if anyone enters or leaves the castle and intercept if required. The guard rooms there should be properly equipped. What say the others?"

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Conrad's eyes widen, and he looks to Huw. Then he grips his halberd tighter.

"Shall we?"

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

From behind and above Huw, Conrad brings down his Halberd.

Strike the treasure chest: 1d20+1 16, hit AC 2.

Damage: 1d10+1 11. Who cares about always going last?

Conrad was prepared, and his blow is a shattering one... he hopes.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Ah, Dexterity. Why must it be Dexterity.

Recovering the Halberd: 1d20-1 3 Yeah, uh.

Conrad, finding that he cannot recover his weapon, immediately lets go of it, draws his sword and makes ready to charge in again. (And his shield, if he has time.)

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

No time. Must act. Cut the tentacles, slice the center. And like big brother always says, "If it has eyes, aim for those."

(If he can do it AND attack Conrad still puts his shield on.)

Strike the gluemonster: 1d20+1 12. Hit AC 6? I don't know if that will do.

Damage, Maybe?: 1d8+1 2

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Unstick the sword: 1d20-1 7

Conrad looks at his empty hands.

"Well, I'm out of ideas."

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Conrad looks desperately around for something to use as a weapon. Perhaps Huw dropped his axe...

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Conrad picks up his Halberd and, in as swift and brutal a stroke as he can manage, ends it. He then retrieves his sword.

"I'm sorry, Ame. Perhaps it would be easier for you not to watch what comes next."

Conrad takes out a knife and begins cutting the mimic open.

"It will not a pretty burial, but a burial it shall be."

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"You know", Conrad admits, "I feel squeamish when I see animals being butchered. It's a silly thing, for someone calling themselves a warrior. But when it comes to things that can fight me back with weapons, or the truly monstrous, I feel no such revulsion. And now I know why."

Conrad cleans his equipment.

"Shall we continue, or take a short rest and prepare the room near the entrance? We may want to recover a while from these events and pay our respects, insofar as we can in such a hostile place."

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"Death is only the fault of those who inflict it. Those who do their best to prevent it, and defend others from it, have good hearts. We can only accept that sometimes we fail, even if we do our best. It does not mean we should give in, but that we should keep striving for better."

Conrad looks sheepish.

"Well, that's what the old Cleric at home taught the young squires anyway. But I took it to heart."

Are we up for a room or two more? Conrad is if the party wants to split forces a bit.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Conrad couldn't help but wonder if someone else might die. Should he harden his heart towards this newcomer?

No. Just do what you can.

"We should secure this guard room, as... we, planned. Then we can resume our explorations of the courtyard."

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Conrad inspects the chest and then opens it. Whatever trap might have been placed on it has a smaller chance of affecting him.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Poison/Death Ray: 12.
Saving throw (equal to or above to succeed):: 1d20 2
Current HP: 2/8

Conrad can't say much more for a while, but he does like the idea of bringing this chest to stow loot in! When he's not doubling over in pain from a monumentally bad idea, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Conrad, still wheezing from the poison and unable to actually request the healing that no one has offered from the kindness of their heart (he-HEM), stays behind whoever decided to take the front, hefts his halberd and strikes!

Halberd always loses initiative. Cobra Attack!: 1d20+1 18, which hits AC 0. I'm just going to assume that's enough. Damage: 1d10+1 7

• Locked thread