Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Roger

A tall, proud looking warrior arrives slightly later then the others.

"Hail, friends! Forgive my tardiness; I was assisting many young, would-be warriors with their lessons. I am Roger, of the western mercenary bands. It would be my honor to assist in reclaiming this home, not for the gold, but for the glory. An abandoned castle beset and filled with all sorts of evil? True adventure!"

pre:
AC: 0    HP: 9   Alignment: L    EP: 1    GP: 2    PP: 4
XP: 98 

STR* 14 +1     Poison/Death Ray:       12
INT  10 +0     Magic Wand:             13
WIS  8  -1     Stone/Paralysis:        14
DEX  17 +2     Dragon Breath:          15
CON  15 +1     Spells / Rods/ Staves:  16
CHA  10 +0     Retainers / Morale:    4/7

Hit Roll Chart (Str)
 9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1  0 -1 -2
 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Hit Roll Chart (Dex)
 9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1  0 -1 -2 -3
 8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Bow Range
Short (+1)   Medium (0)   Long (-1)
70           140          210

XP adjustment: +5%

Encumbrance: 707cn

Normal Speed:    90
Running Speed:   90
Encounter Speed: 30

Proficiency: EVERYTHING
Languages: Common, Lawful

Equipment:
Normal Sword 1d8+1
Long Bow 1d6
* 40 arrows
* 10 silver tipped arrows
Plate Armor
Shield

Backpack (7/400)
2 Large Sacks (0/600|0/600)
6 Torches
Oil Flask
Tinderbox
10' Pole
Rations (normal)
50' Rope
Waterskin (full)
Potion of Cure Light Wounds

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

+50 gp, then -2 for inn

Having spent a the night checking his gear and ensuring everything was prepared, Roger looked...disappointed with the greetings in the morning.

"Very well. I shall take rear guard, I suspect. And not join you in glorious arms in the front. If you think that is the best use of my abilities. Well, either way, it does not surprise me there is a wizard amongst this rabble. They can be attracted to such evil activities, you know. Ah, present company excluded. Of course."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

"I vote we head left. Left seems more sinister. Best we defeat the foes before they fall on us unawares."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

As the others hold back the monsters, Roger draws his bow and lets loose an arrow into one of the foul creatures; it may not yet be dead, but it's certainly injured!

Initiative (+2 if blah blah, though I THINK bows automatically go first?): 1d6 4
Ranged Attack: 1d20 16
( Hit AC 1 )
Damage: 1d6 1

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

"Hold a moment, please."

Roger checks first to see if his arrow is salvageable, then takes out his rope and begins tying the goblins together, using the most cunning and tricky knots he had learned as a mercenary.

"Best we ensure these little beasties don't ambush us when they awaken, eh?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

Ropes!: 1d20 14

"Roger, friend Conrad. I am Roger. And do not fear; I am fairly skilled with a bow, though this shield and blade are not for decoration, either!"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

"I can see nothing of interest here myself. Perhaps the neighboring room will be of interest."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

Roger simply shrugs.

"Such monsters make for little glory. If they will leave this place peacefully - and do not return - I see no reason to set blade and arrow on them. They can take their friends too. So I can get my rope back."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

"It is Roger, friend Conrad. And, happily! By blade and shield, I will ensure our party remains safe!"

The young warrior puffs up with pride considerably.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

"If the statue IS magical, I've found the simplest way to stop magic is to crush it beneath my boot. A statue just means it will take more then one blow. That said, this is a mighty treasure indeed; perhaps we should return this to turn, allow our wounded to recuperate slightly, then return?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

Roger mostly stays quiet. Even if the statue was speaking in the tongue his mercenary group taught him, even if it was warning them of strange and potent dangers, it still stunk of magic.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

Roger takes out his bags and his backpack and begins gathering up the coins.

"I too vote we leave the statue. We have more then enough to bring back as is; let us invest our gold, rest the night, and return in the morning!"

The warrior finishes gathering as much as he could and leaves with the others to spend a night carousing; he, after all, had taken no injuries!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

"Do you have silvered arrows? One never knows what we may face; there are some foes stout iron cannot fell. And polearms to match my good friend ser Conrad."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

Before I buy my arrows, how much is our share each?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

"Ah, do not worry about the halberd. I think I shall take 10 of your silvered arrows then, good sir. With luck I will not need them. With greater luck, I will need precisely this many."

Roger happily gives up a large portion of his silver, counting out 100 of the coins.

"Hah, why, with this much, you could likely create a dozen or two more arrows to replace this!"

As someone who has never played Basic before, I do have a question. What do we do, or where do we put, our treasure? Can we just say we hide it under the floorboards at the inn or something?

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 10, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

Sorry for the quiet spell; writers block and general fatigue hit me most this week.

Roger, arrows in quiver, heads to the bank, and swiftly discovers the same thing the elf did; no account. So he exchanges his coin for mostly platinum with the odd gold piece evening things out, and, on asking where an apothecary might be found, ends up following the elf's tracks once more to the potion seller.

"Hah! I seem to be quite at your heels today, Lady Starfall. Tell me, could this be where I could purchase some healing items? Best to be careful, after all."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

Magic or not, Roger knew what happened to those who shun healing, and gratefully purchases one of the potions and secures it on his person before heading back to meet the others at (assumably) the tavern, to rest and prepare for the following day.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

Roger happily buys the meal and a fine dwarven stout to go with it!

"Come now, we've had our first victorious foray in! We should celebrate a little!"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

Roger gives the elf a hearty slap on the back.

"A tale of tragedy and woe, and evils unresolved. But have no worry or sadness good lady; if and when the time comes, I grant my skills to you freely; I will ask for no pay! Those orcs will fall before our might, and your people made free once more! Think on this, we have had our first day of adventure, and returned naught the worse, and much the richer. Great things lie in store for us, I promise it!"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

Roger strings an arrow.

"I have no skill in trapping, but I can do quite a bit of 'negotiating' with wild animals with my weapon here."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

Roger looses his arrow!

Init; Attack; Damage: 1d6+2 5 1d20 12 1d6 3
Init 5; I hit AC 5; 3 damage

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

Another arrow; this one doesn't cut deep, but maybe it doesn't have to.

Attack; Damage: 1d20 19 1d6 2

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

As always, Roger checks to see if any of his arrows can be retrieved and re-used.

"Going back empty handed after one fight? Olaf, if you are injured, I will take your place at the front; I am hearty still."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

Roger, hearing the commotion, rushes in, sword and shield at the ready, and spots the problem. A mimic! He learned about those from the mercenary band - and how to escape such a predicament!

Int check: 1d20 14

He also helps solve this problem with his sword. With stabs.

Attack; Damage: 1d20 18 1d8+1 3

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

"The key is to strike and return fast before it's stickiness can stick, and to use ample supply of alcohol in the case where one is captured."

Roger demonstrates this as he speaks matter of factly by snatching his sword out before it can get stuck.

Dex: 1d20+2 20

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

Roger closes his eyes for a silent prayer.

"I agree with maiden Starfall. We should bring his body back to town post haste and have the church arrange a funeral ceremony before continuing onward. To fall in combat against a foe is no sinful death, but we should take this as a reminder; our professions are one of danger. And we should not profane his name by leaving the job undone. We bring his body to town, and then we return here to continue."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

"Leave it to the priests, I think. I am no holy man."

Maybe we should skip ahead to returning to the dungeon and/or meeting any new PCs?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

"I agree with ser Conrad. Let us secure the guard room. From there, we should explore west; I am curious about the man we saw earlier."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

I'm alive, I swear!

"As the good halfling says, we should be more careful with chests. Twice now they've struck back."

He waits for the oven poking to finish.

"Please, stand back, just to be careful. I suggest we begin opening all manner of objects AWAY from ourselves."

Roger moves to the side of the oven, and opens it outwards to demonstrate this.

• Locked thread