Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Amelaide Florantha Starfall
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 0 (+5%)

Amelia stepped forth, steeped in shyness, and her voice barely carried. "I'm Ame, and I know my way around a blade, and I've a bow, and my own spellbook, and I could use the coin, and besides it might be fun."

She looked over the others, and wondered at their healthy glows compared to her own fragile form, but it was too late now: she had already volunteered.

QuantumNinja posted:

Level 1, XP: 0 (+5%)

Amelaide Florantha Starfall, Ame for short, was raised a high noble of the Starfall family, the daughter of Count Triswin Starfall and Lady Dotta Starfall, who held a small parcel a land under the Lord Wizard Rainwinds. She grew up with her older brother and younger sister in the safety of the silver-leafed forests of the Lord Wizard's stronghold. She used to spend evening under starlight and mornings in the mistfallen dew, running barefoot through the beautiful woods. As she grew, her father taught her magic, her mother trained her in courtly politics and and manipulation, and Frain the weapon master drilled her in the the classical Elven ways of arms and armor. Frain gave her something else, though: stories about the world, and his time walking through it, weaving for her magical tales about hiding from giants and exploring goblin-filled tombs.

When she came of age, Ame was to be married off to a an elf of station whose marriage would strengthen political connections, but there was unrest in the land: orcs and goblins came to live in the forest, and began to wage war on the stronghold of Lord Wizard Rainwinds. A little over a month ago, these beasts came over the wall, razing the city. Ame fled with her siblings into the silver-leafed forest of their childhoods, now lit with torches and filled with smoke as their ancient home was destroyed. As the orcs pursued them, they got lost from one another, and Ame ended up falling down a waterfall and found herself on a riverbank miles away.

She was left with her trusty bow, a Solstice present from her mother, and one of her father's scale coats, but little else: she managed to grab her spellbook in the chaos, and her brother had given her a stocked backpack and a small pouch of gold as they fled through the forest. Other than that, she has her traveling cloak and a single change of clothes, but that's the least of her trouble: her family are missing---or maybe dead, and Ame cannot return home.

She's been wandering for the last month, learning about the world beyond the forest and looking for jobs or opportunities to amass the money necessary to hire retainers to help find her family: she can't do it alone, and it's hard to find someone to trust. But Frain's stories always ended in gold and riches, so when Ame found the job posting for adventurers with payment, she was certain it would be a first step.

pre:
AC: 7    HP: 2    Gold: 10   Alignment: N

STR* 13 +1     Poison/Death Ray:       12
INT* 11 +0     Magic Wand:             13
WIS  11 +0     Stone/Paralysis:        13
DEX  11 +0     Dragon Breath:          15
CON  10 +0     Spells / Rods/ Staves:  15
CHA  15 +1     Retainers / Morale:    5/8

Hit Roll Chart (Str)
 9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1  0 -1 -2
 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Hit Roll Chart (Dex)
 9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1  0 -1
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Encumbrance: 700cn
Normal Speed:    90
Running Speed:   90
Encounter Speed: 30
Languages: Common, Neutral, Elf, Gnoll, Hobgoblin, Orc.

Proficiency
An elf may wear any kind of armor, may use any kind of shield, and may use any kind of weapon.

Special Skills
- Infravision, 60'.
- Secret Door Detection (1-2 on 1d6 finds it).
- Cannot be paralyzed by ghouls.
- Spells!

Spells (1 / First)
- Shield
- Read Magic

pre:
Item                        Cost    Enc (cn)
Scale Mail                    30         300
Short Bow                     25          20 
Quiver                         5         (5)
- 20 Arrows                 ----    (.5)  10
Backpack                     (20)         20 
- 2 Large Sacks               (4)   (5)   10
- 6 Torches                 (1.2)   (20) 120
- 1 Oil Flask                 (2)         10
- Tinderbox                   (3)          5 
- 10' Pole                    (1)        100
- Rations                       
- - (5, unpreserved)          (5)        200
- Waterskin (full)            (1)
- [x] full                                30

Total                          60        825
Ability Scores: 6#3d6 8 11 11 11 10 15
Ability Scores: 3d6 13
Health: 1d6 2
Money: 3d6 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 0 (+5%), GP: 10 + 60 - 3 (lodgings) = 68

Ame spent her evening in the inn where she saw many of the other volunteers, but spent much of the night with her nose buried in The Life And Times of Lord Wizard Peregrine. She spent the night alone, but bubbly, and drank more than a glass of wine, stumbling to bed in a melancholy stupor. The next morning, though, she was prompt and bathed and outfitted in elven-made mail, if just a little inattentive. As the great doors swung open, she shuffled in with the last of the group, hoping her armor and the last of the rich wine would see her through the day. Her voice carries, high-pitched and unsure, as she sees the great entry hall. "So, which way?"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 0 (+5%), GP: 10 + 60 - 3 (lodgings) = 68

Ame let out a small yelp when the goblins rounded the corner, which is probably why everyone was too busy looking at her to guard against the first round of blows. Oh, jeeze, this was bad!

Initiative: 1d6 5

But her bow was handy, and so she peeked over a few shoulders and let loose an arrow, aiming for the closest goblin's eye.

Bow Attack: 1d20 6

The arrow went wide, though, burying itself firmly into the wall of the passage, and she let out an exasperated sound as the monsters closed in on their group and the sounds of battle broke out.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 0 (+5%), GP: 68, Arrows = 19

As the goblins got bound and tied and their fates were discussed, Amelaide studied the hideous creatures. She even moved to touch one. "They're gross. But Huw's right. They probably know something useful. It looks like they're living here, so maybe they could help us fill out the map a bit more. And maybe anything that heard the noise will come to us, right? Isn't that what the books say, get your enemy to attack you?"

And then, before she could work up the courage to actually touch the thing, it let out a grunt in its sleep, and Ame jumped and let out a small, scared sound, scrambling backwards.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Ame walks the room slowly, inspecting the cobweb-covered dining hall for any secret passages or doorways, but when she doesn't turn anything up she frowns. "I guess this is just a dingy old castle, then, huh? Lost rooms, inches of dust, maybe a few clanging suits of armor, and just some unsavories living here? Let's go check the other room, I guess."

Looking for secret doors and passages: 1d6 4

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

The elf's eyes go wide at Conrad's part of the conversation. She looks over the statue, and then says, "Woah, wait, what's going on? Is it, like, talking to you or something?"

While the conversation continues, she looks around the room for other passages, doors, and anything else. Unfortunately, she still doesn't turn anything up at all. She frowns back at the statue, and says, "Why do you think it's here? Oh, I know! Ask it who made this castle, and put it here!"

Passage Finding: 1d6 5

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

"What if we, like, took the statue with us back to town? We could put it in the town square, and then talk to it all the time, right?" Ame beamed at what she considered a brilliant idea, and started inspecting the base of the well-carved marble to see how mobile it might be.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 10, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 51 (+5%), 300 CP, 450 SP, GP: 68, 1 EP , Arrows = 19,

Ame finds herself in the town's only bank, a small affair with fat old men working the counters. She approaches one, and says, "Uh, excuse me. I've got... Well, I'd like to open an account. That's what you do with money, right? You deposit it! Can I open an account here?"

She's got the coins in a few sacks, which are threatening to break under the weight of the copper and silver pieces. She seems flustered, and utterly unsure of what to do with her earnings, especially considering that they were the result of firing an arrow at a wall. "I have... quite a bit to deposit."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 51 (+5%), 300 CP, 450 SP, GP: 68, 1 EP , Arrows = 19,

The elf sort of blinks at the taxman, unsure if he was offering her the correct amount. He had gotten through that math pretty dang quick, but who was to say he wasn't great at it? She just gave him an embarrassed smile, and hefted the overbearingly-heavy coins at him. "Oh, man, gold would be great. I'd be okay with platinum, but it seems so much easier to steal, you know? And I just really, really, really don't want to lose all of my money like that. I need as much money as I can get, see, I have to save up enough to hire some warriors to help me find my family and if I just lose all my money to thieves or whatever then there's no way I can fund that. So I was going to put it into a bank, make sure it was safe, but I guess there isn't really a bank out here per say so maybe I'll just keep it close to me. So gold, right?"

Her coins collected, she made her way to the town square, trying to get a better feel for the place she had only spent a night in. Who knows! Maybe she could even find a witch? Before she knew it, after a few annoyed-looking people helped her get directions (except that one guy, who she was pretty sure told her whatever he could think of to get her to leave him along), she found the place: the Catalyst.

Heading inside, she saw some of her fellow 'contractors'. "Oh, hi, Adrian! How are you? Isn't this the magic shop here in town? What are you looking for. Oh, Madam! Agatha, right? I was wondering if you had anything, like, for sale, or some such. See, I'm pretty frail myself, and I just took this really dangerous job and I don't want to get hurt or anything. What do you think?"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 51 (+5%), 63 GP, Arrows = 19

Ame's eyes go wide when she sees the magical scrolls on the racks, and says, "Ooh, I've heard of a scroll of mapping. That guy totally doesn't even have a map of his house, and it would be super awesome to get to know the place without having to wander around finding magical statues that sort of kind of..."

She trailed off when she realized what she was saying, but then got back on track. "I'd like the scroll, please! It'll do us a huge amount of good, especially because the place is so windy and long and big and old. Here's the coins."

Ame counts out the 80 gold pieces herself, and smiles as she offers them across the table, waiting for her scroll in return. As she does, she smiles conspiratorially at Adrian and says, "We should test it out today. These kinds of things are usually good once a day, and we could totally get a map of something random. Any ideas?"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 98 (+5%), 107 GP, 7 SP, Arrows = 20, Scroll of Mapping (3)

Can I buy just one arrow? For 3 SP?

Her scroll collected, she huffed at the unattentive Adrian and wandered back to the tavern, picking up an extra arrow to replace her shattered on along the way. Ugh, who would name a tavern after goblins? Nasty little creatures, and now she had to stare at a poorly-painted bronze one all evening. No matter, though. She entered, and tried to find a quieter corner where she could sip on some wine and study her spellbook. As the saying went, a prepared elf was a wise elf. When she saw the others, though, she changed her plan and sat down next to the rough-looking warriors. "Man, what a day, right? I can't believe those disgusting goblin things just gave us all that money. If every day's going to go like this, we're totally gonna be rich by the end of this, aren't we? That's, like, completely crazy. And it means I'm not going to have any problem hiring enough people to help me find my family, right? That's so awesome! Hey, what are you drinking?"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 98 (+5%), 104 GP, 7 SP, Arrows = 20, Scroll of Mapping (3)

Can I buy just one arrow? For 3 SP?

Ame orders herself a glass of wine and the roasted chicken, eating it hungrily as she tells Huw about her family. "Well, it was an orc attack. They came in the night, you see, after a bunch of raids. They attacked the watch towers or something, but it had happened before, but apparently they had found the source of the waterfall that led into our stronghold and came in that way with huge ropes and hooks and nasty things. And they started fires, terrible, terrible fires."

Halfway through the wine now, her thin body was quite numb and loose from the alcohol---she hadn't really had wine before, not like this. "It was maybe like 100 leagues south of here, deep in the Silver Oaks. That night, my brother shoved a bag in my hand and led me into the woods. He pointed me at the north star, told me to run, not to look back if we got separated. And we did. And I haven't seen any of them since, or anything, you know? And I'm just trying to get enough money together to hire some strong people, like Roger and yourself and stuff, and try to go find them. It will be dangerous, I know, and I was never much good with a weapon. I just... I have to try, right?"

It was clear, by now, that little Ame had drunken herself into tears and depression off the single glass of wine, but she really did seem genuinely upset none-the-less. By the end of her soup, though, the tears had passed and she had gotten back to numb happiness as more members of the party showed up.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 98 (+5%), 104 GP, 7 SP, Arrows = 20, Scroll of Mapping (3)

Ame slept happily that night, fuzzy from the wine and warm from the offers for aid. She had walked the human world so far and found cruelty and selfishness, but here she had met some genuine heros. Perhaps there was hope yet for her family. When they got to the castle the next day, she once again drew her bow and stalked in behind the others, hiding being their large suits of armor. When they were inside, she said, "Oh, wait! I bought this yesterday! It should show us around. Let's see what it will show us before we go forward.

With that, she unfurled the Scroll of Mapping and spoke a few words, High Elven that had likely never rung through the halls of the creaky castle, and waited as the map did its work.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Ame, in the back of the huge group, speaks up, her small voice carrying over the sound of clanking armor and shuttering chains. "What? Why do you live here? How do you get food? Aren't there a dozen and one monsters in this place? Like, what even are you doing? Oh, and do you have an ink and a pen? I'd like to make a copy of our map before nightfall."

She's eager to get in the shop, but not eager enough to move before any of the would-be champions of the adventure. The map, though, was temporary, and if they didn't copy it soon it would be lost by the next dawn.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 98 (+5%), 104 GP, 7 SP, Arrows = 20, Scroll of Mapping (2)

While the others talk about logistics and monsters, Ame takes it upon herself to take up a blank scroll and pen from the traders' stores. She begins sketching out the castle onto it, trying to make an accurate copy of the map, and marks the things they've seen so far, including the statue and the goblins hiding away and everything else. She takes her time with it, trying to get the lines straight and even, but realizes too late that she made all of the notes on the map in Elven. Well, if she was the only one reading it...

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 98 (+5%), 104 GP, 7 SP, Arrows = 20, Scroll of Mapping (2), Floor 1 Map

Ame follows the soldiers into the room, and, tucking the scroll away, readies her bow from the room they're currently occupied. "I can try to shoot around you, sure. Maybe someone should, like, try to watch the hallway while we do this, right? Oh, and afterwards, we can totally go ask the statue more questions!"

Then she realizes she's gushing while a bunch of hardened warriors are preparing to fight dangerous creatures, and attempts a serious look on her face, pulling her bow into a more combat-ready position. "I mean, uh, I'm ready."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Init / Attack / Damage: 1d6 2 1d20 9 1d6 5

Ame looses an arrow toward the beasts from the back of the room.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Unsure of where her first arrow landed, Ame looses another.

Attack; Damage: 1d20 12 1d6 3

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Ame lets out a gasp of surprise at her good luck as her arrow kills the beast, but then remembers they're not done with their work yet. She strings another arrow and lets loose.

Attack and Damage: 1d20 9 1d6 1

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 98 (+5%), 104 GP, 7 SP, Arrows = 19, Scroll of Mapping (3)

Ame collects her arrow from the grass, not brave enough to retrieve the second one from the felled beast, and certainly not brave enough to discuss skinning the creatures. She makes a quip about the mess, though, peeking into the room and watching Conrad sift through the trash. "Why do you think they're living here? I mean, something's got to be feeding all of this stuff, right? Wolves, goblins, where is the food supply? There aren't reports of raids on the town, but they have to be living somehow..."

She eventually moves into the room, too, kicking at some of the debris and trash with her foot.

Secret Door Detection: 1d6 1

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 98 (+5%), 104 GP, 7 SP, Arrows = 19, Scroll of Mapping (3)

Ame sticks to the courtyard, a bow in her hand, prepared to support anyone who runs into trouble looking through one of the rooms. "You guys be careful!"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Ame follows them into the room marked 4 on the map, and looks the chest over as Gale gets to work on it. "So we've found like a little extra silver, some, uh, wolves, and a ton of empty rooms. What about staying here? I mean, if we could find a ready source of water, that is. Like, find the water, clean the rooms, then, like, secure the doors with something heavy at night. It would totally save us the trouble of trekking to and from town every day. What does everyone think of that?"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Ame runs to the room with the sound of combat in time to watch Huw eaten alive by the mimic. She collapses in the doorway, dropping her bow to the ground as she falls to her knees. Her scream rings out across the empty courtyard as she watches the dwarf is devoured by the strange box, tears filling her eyes as she watches the horror unfold in front of her.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 98 (+5%), 104 GP, 7 SP, Arrows = 19, Scroll of Mapping (2)

Ame collects herself and gets back to her feet, clearly embarrassed. Instead of apologizing, though, she tried to seem helpful. It didn't really work. "Is it, d-dead? W-what happened? Should we burn the box-creature-thing, before it wakes back up? Or stab it or something. Roger, you still have your sword, right? Maybe we could cut Huw out, take his body to the church, see what they can do with their magic?"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 98 (+5%), 104 GP, 7 SP, Arrows = 19, Scroll of Mapping (2)

Ame gags a bit as the mimic is cut up, but steels herself and forces her eyes over the scene, trying to become more comfortable with what was happening: if they were going to go through the whole castle, she was going to have to get over this squeamishness, right? When Huw was freed, she even moved to help Olaf with the body, tears in her eyes. Her breathing was slow and purposeful, and she seemed calm enough but the jitter in her voice betrayed her. "We should t-take him back, back to the c-church. Let's see him to rest before we do anything else. We should make f-f-funeral arrangements in town, and then if there is still time in the day, r-return."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Ame followed Olaf back to town while the others fussed after that thief, curious. "Do you think we should bury him here, where he died? Do you know if he has family in the area, someone we could contact to collect the body or perform any personal rites over it?"

She was babbling, of course, because she was trying to put the true horror of the matter out of her head. The day had been long, stressful, and the sun was just barely in the sky.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Mostly quiet since their return, Ame has also been hanging back, trying to keep her eyes ope and her mouth shut. She doesn't seem to have much courage to speak of, but she'd rather stay close to the group than alone in the castle. As Conrad takes a breath of the gas, she moves to his side, fear in her eyes. "Are you okay? Did that burn? Who the gently caress made this place!?"

Then the pulls out the map she had, crossing off this room, too. "Okay, where next?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Ame looks over the dead snake's body and then the cabinets, looking for any food. "Huh. There must be a kitchen nearby for this pantry. Perhaps we could barricade ourselves there tonight, have a proper meal here in the castle while we rest."

• Locked thread