Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
BARK BARK BARK DEATH TO SHINY BUGS! FIGHT PACK FIGHT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Snarls has become incredibly articulate! Someone wanted to teach him to count, saying he was clearly intelligent enough. As I recall we did in fact try to teach him to count and the problem wasn't intelligence, but rather that he found it useless and boring.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Blooded men fighting is so goddamn cool. I dig how Uriah got an upgrade to Firebolt.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sogol posted:

Snarls has become incredibly articulate! Someone wanted to teach him to count, saying he was clearly intelligent enough. As I recall we did in fact try to teach him to count and the problem wasn't intelligence, but rather that he found it useless and boring.

Even normal animals have some numerical sense.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-animals-have-the-ability-to-count/
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/08/120829-black-bears-cognition-animals-science/

If one group had 12 things and another group had 16 things, Snarls could probably tell us which group has more things despite not knowing the words for 12 or 16. He's smarter than the average bear, so he might even be able to learn to count up to 20 or 100. I doubt he'd be able to learn to look at (or smell) an army and accurately estimate how many thousands of creatures it contains. Dog brains don't work like that. Trying to teach him simple math would take hundreds of hours away from other projects (unless he's a secret melechim and just pretending that he can't count , in which case he might learn very quickly or refuse to "learn" math at all.)

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Angela Christine posted:

Even normal animals have some numerical sense.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-animals-have-the-ability-to-count/
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/08/120829-black-bears-cognition-animals-science/

If one group had 12 things and another group had 16 things, Snarls could probably tell us which group has more things despite not knowing the words for 12 or 16. He's smarter than the average bear, so he might even be able to learn to count up to 20 or 100. I doubt he'd be able to learn to look at (or smell) an army and accurately estimate how many thousands of creatures it contains. Dog brains don't work like that. Trying to teach him simple math would take hundreds of hours away from other projects (unless he's a secret melechim and just pretending that he can't count , in which case he might learn very quickly or refuse to "learn" math at all.)

He can't get math, he doesn't even understand physics! How else do you think he was able to poo poo on the ceiling?!

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

I don't think he needs to know how to count exactly, but some words for different orders of magnitude would be handy. Right now and army of hundreds, thousands, or tens of thousands are all 'many lots'. He should be capable of distinguishing the difference between those extreme differences in numbers, but he doesn't have the vocabulary to express it. I don't think it should be too hard to at least get him to be able to tell the difference between a few hundred, or ten thousand enemies.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Maybe we could suggest comparisons between the populations of Zepath and Kavodel, and how while they both have a lot of people, one has a lot more. See if he's able to make estimates based off familiar figures like that?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think Enkidel needs to invent allowances, and then give Ash a raise in his.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

the_steve posted:

I think Enkidel needs to invent allowances, and then give Ash a raise in his.

Maybe. I think Ash is doing okay though. We bought him a freaking house and I think his grandad gave him a suit of priceless armor. Literally priceless, not for sale for money Mighty armor.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

THINGS!! THINGS ARE HAPPENING!! THINGS YOU ARE NOT SURE ABOUT AND ALL THEM ARE HAPPENING ALL AT ONCE AND IT IS A LOT TO TAKE IN!!!!!!

Silver-Bugs are exploding and others are being sent flying and Always-Wants-to-Be-at-Front-of-the-Hunt just picked up a Silver-Bug and threw it into another and it... broke the dirt!

And the other Hunters scream and yell and throw rocks and trees and scream and bash the ground and the Silver-Bugs and LOTS AND LOTS OF SILVER-BUGS DIE AND HUNTERS KILL MANY SILVER-BUGS!!!! SOME SILVER-BUGS FIGHT BUT THEY DIE QUICKLY AND MORE TRY TO FIGHT AND THEY DIE TOO AND LOTS OF SILVER-BUGS FALL TO THE PACK!!!!!

You tell all of this to the Father-Master-Brother-Bestest-Friend-Ever as best as you can as it happens but MANY THINGS HAPPEN ALL AT ONCE AND NOW THE SILVER-BUGS ALL SCREAM IN TERROR AND FLEE RUN THE PACK!!

WE ARE THE PREDATORS! YOU ARE THE PREY! ALL ARE PREY TO THE PACK!

1. You....

A. BARK LOUDLY AND TELL THE PREY THEY ARE BUT PREY AND HOW DARE THEY THREATEN THE PACK AND THEY WILL BE LEFT TO ROT AND NOT EVEN EATEN! ARF BARK WOOF! BARK BARK! BARK BARK BARK! BARK BARK BARK!
B. JOIN THE HUNTERS AND THE PACK! CHASE DOWN THE SILVER-BUGS AS THEY RUN AND KILL THEM WITH THE PACK!
C. It is VERY EXCITING to be here, but you think of the cubs and the females! Go back to the Den and tell them the Hunters are victorious!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

A

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

C - Guards The Den!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

1 C.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
B. I THIRST FOR THE BLOOD OF THE BUGS

Vote changed, see below.

Imperialist Dog fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 7, 2015

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

A: BARK BARK!

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
D. write in - watch a little longer. Don't be loud! Then go back to the den

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

A

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
A.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

C While the hunters are distracted with silver bugs the floppyears could be making their move! Better go check.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A - We are the ones who tell the prey they are the prey, in case they forget that they are the ones who are the prey. Because we are the predators, which makes them the prey.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

the_steve posted:

A - We are the ones who tell the prey they are the prey, in case they forget that they are the ones who are the prey. Because we are the predators, which makes them the prey.

Voting this cause its the truth

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

the_steve posted:

Also add in all the secret dog curses we know.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
C

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

C The pack must be told of our victory! Also, I'd rather not push our luck and sonic bark on accident.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
C

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
C

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
A

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

FoxTerrier posted:

Also, I'd rather not push our luck and sonic bark on accident.

Voting A for the exact opposite reason!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Guys, why are we trying to leave? We're Enkidel's eyes and ears out here. They might just be trying to trick us.
And I would not be the least bit surprised if Snarls was the conduit in which fresh hot [PIE] gets channeled to the Balls.

We run off, and they lose their StuntBall Trance.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

FoxTerrier posted:

C The pack must be told of our victory! Also, I'd rather not push our luck and sonic bark on accident.

You make a very compelling argument.

A

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
A Yaaaaay

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

FoxTerrier posted:

sonic bark

A. SONIC BARK

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

the_steve posted:

Guys, why are we trying to leave? We're Enkidel's eyes and ears out here. They might just be trying to trick us.
And I would not be the least bit surprised if Snarls was the conduit in which fresh hot [PIE] gets channeled to the Balls.

We run off, and they lose their StuntBall Trance.

Because the women and kids might be in trouble and need to be protected! And the need to know all is good!

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

the_steve posted:

This guy is pretty logical

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

A

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Whelp, that backfired.

:11tea:

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

ClothHat posted:

Bark louder, and if possible, more rapidly

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

the_steve posted:

Arkanomen posted:

Also add in all the secret dog curses we know.

These goons have the right idea.

A.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BArk Arf! - BArk BArk Arf BArk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

A

ONE PACK! WE are the predators and YOU are the prey!

• Locked thread