Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
So I think the characters are all going through different stages of grief?

Snow is denial
Sazh is bargaining
Lightning is anger
Hope is depression
Vanille is acceptance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, Vanille is manic if anything.

And yeah, I don't get the love for Lightning either. Way too anime for my tastes.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Fedule posted:

Well this is The Dilemma, isn't it? It's not reasonable to expect people to always keep quiet about every little thing that might come up in a video. Besides, maybe sometimes we'll legit forget something and it'll be down to y'all to point it out. All I can really ask is, just keep in mind that we're rationing mechanics tidbits. I don't think Artix is gonna lock the thread because someone ~spoiled~ that stagger time varies based on how fast the gauge is emptying when the enemy is staggered (we mention this next video).

If I may expand on this, the game does throw you right into things, but it also gives you the entirety of chapters 3 and 4 to play around with the system and see how things work together before it really starts expecting you to have things down. I've deliberately set up the videos in such a way that we really only introduce one big thing per video to let us actually talk about how it all works to sort of mimic this learning process. We could have spent the first two videos talking about every single nuance in the system, but that wouldn't be very informative to you as the viewer, nor would it leave us much to talk about until Chapter 9 when the next big thing gets introduced.

Basically, what I'm saying is this: if we missed talking about an aspect of the battle system or some other mechanic, give us at least until the end of Chapter 4 before you jump in and tell us how we totally forgot to mention this or that - we very well might have, but it's probably in one of those videos that just hasn't been posted yet.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

anilEhilated posted:

Funny, I see it in the exact opposite way: not minding Snow but getting murderous twitches whenever Vanille shows up. Maybe it's because I haven't played this so I have no idea how their characters unfold.

If anything, Hope should be hating Vanille more at this point. "Hey, let's sneak into Old Man Fal'cie's house, get condemned with a death sentence, and become ostracized from all society so you can tell Snow he's a doody-head, 'kay? Teehee!"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Schwartzcough posted:

If anything, Hope should be hating Vanille more at this point. "Hey, let's sneak into Old Man Fal'cie's house, get condemned with a death sentence, and become ostracized from all society so you can tell Snow he's a doody-head, 'kay? Teehee!"

Really, Hope should be slapped upside the head for not thinking that one out too well.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I think we are at least 6 hours into the story, since it has gone from "night" to "Morning." Hope's bad decisions are likely a result of grief over his mom dying almost half a day earlier and also likely a result of him being an 8th grader.

To me, Hope is as awful/annoying as an actual 8th grader, but with a more sympathetic excuse for being that way.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.

Simply Simon posted:

Still - from the beginning of this disaster, Snow did nothing wrong to affect Lightning, unless I am already forgetting scenes.
You can explain it by Lightning being in full-on grieving mode at the moment and needing someone to vent her frustration on, but that doesn't necessarily make her sympathetic.
I dunno, I think the death of a loved one is quite a sympathy-inspiring experience. I mean, "my mummy died so I'm going to destroy the world" would probably squander that sympathy, but that's a pretty extreme scenario. Most of the time, when someone near to someone we know dies, we have an instinct to try to be supportive towards them, right?

And certainly nothing Snow has done since gives us any sense that smacking him with a couple of punches is in any way a disproportionate reaction to how he's trying to talk up that "it's okay she isn't really dead".

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I guess that depends entirely on your personal view on Serah's situation. I was actually always on Snow's side - she's not dead, she's crystal. There's GOTTA be something you can do about that.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Really, Hope should be slapped upside the head for not thinking that one out too well.
He's 14 years old, his mom just died, he just got terminal anime cancer, he's surrounded by "enemies of cocoon" (and is now technically one of them) and professional soldiers are trying to kill him. Do you really expect him to be thinking clearly?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
My avatar will enrage a few people I see. :allears:

I do like Vanille as a character, and I realize this makes me open for attack by most people reading this but I am just not affected by her, or most people in this game like others are, and plot events later on, make her one of my favourite characters in the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

So far Snow getting punched has been the highlight of the whole game for me.

I have a soft spot in my heart for bad JRPGs where characters named Snow get punched in the face repeatedly.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Do you guys honestly expect a sheltered, dumb kid that is barely a teenager to NOT act like, well, a sheltered and dumb kid? :confused:
Realistically a sheltered millennial who is probably too attached to his mother and secure lifestyle would react exactly as Hope is reacting. (running from the huge monster, flipping the gently caress out at all the freak-a-zoids around him, making increasingly stupid and bad decisions in a confused stupor, etc.) Not to mention all the people whining about Hope, well, WHINING, but gently caress if my anime character shows grief and is instead a bubbly/determined fairy character in fantasy land right off the bat(Snow).

Except for that stupid loving "Snow killed my mom but I'm not going to talk about it until 10 hours into the game!" bullshit :mad:, I don't really mind Hope that much as a character. Also random exposition. This game really LOVES random exposition from different characters.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I always have a problem with the "realism" argument for Hope's character for the same reason I have a problem with realism arguments in FPS' (not that I play much of those): after a certain point, making things more realistic makes them less fun to play. In this case, it might be totally in line for the type of character Hope is to act like he does, that doesn't in the slightest make him fun to watch.

I guess you could argue that he "gets better", and I guess he does, but at the moment, he's an annoying little gently caress and I can't emphasize with him because I personally don't play videogames to immerse myself in the story. Maybe it's different for other people and if you emphasize more, you like him for acting like he "should". I just can't get behind that mindset at all and just want him to go away because his whining is getting in the way of me pushing buttons. See also: I like Vanille for forcibly ending cutscenes by saying "yes that's all well and good but I'm over here now follow meee".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

How Rude posted:

Do you guys honestly expect a sheltered, dumb kid that is barely a teenager to NOT act like, well, a sheltered and dumb kid? :confused:
Realistically a sheltered millennial who is probably too attached to his mother and secure lifestyle would react exactly as Hope is reacting. (running from the huge monster, flipping the gently caress out at all the freak-a-zoids around him, making increasingly stupid and bad decisions in a confused stupor, etc.) Not to mention all the people whining about Hope, well, WHINING, but gently caress if my anime character shows grief and is instead a bubbly/determined fairy character in fantasy land right off the bat(Snow).

Except for that stupid loving "Snow killed my mom but I'm not going to talk about it until 10 hours into the game!" bullshit :mad:, I don't really mind Hope that much as a character. Also random exposition. This game really LOVES random exposition from different characters.

Well, in all fairness, Hope only had like two or three chances to talk to Snow where he wasn't doing his delusional Don Quixote impression before they're separated for said 10 hour stretch. And even then, Snow is a human brick and Hope could barely string two words together while his mother was alive, so yeah of course they're going to suck as communicating with one another and--I can't believe I'm devil's advocating this game. :doh:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Simply Simon posted:

I always have a problem with the "realism" argument for Hope's character for the same reason I have a problem with realism arguments in FPS' (not that I play much of those): after a certain point, making things more realistic makes them less fun to play. In this case, it might be totally in line for the type of character Hope is to act like he does, that doesn't in the slightest make him fun to watch.

I guess you could argue that he "gets better", and I guess he does, but at the moment, he's an annoying little gently caress and I can't emphasize with him because I personally don't play videogames to immerse myself in the story. Maybe it's different for other people and if you emphasize more, you like him for acting like he "should". I just can't get behind that mindset at all and just want him to go away because his whining is getting in the way of me pushing buttons. See also: I like Vanille for forcibly ending cutscenes by saying "yes that's all well and good but I'm over here now follow meee".

If we're talking completely on the gameplay side of things, then yes a great deal of the cut scenes in this game do little other than to pad it out even more. However, if we are going to go about discussing the abortion of a "story" that is FFXIII, how to write consistent characters that react to situations correctly (something that every supposedly story-driven piece of media should do since it's, well, good use of mechanics for fiction) the worst offender is definitely not Hope. For characters to be like-able they have to be relate-able in some way to the audience, which is none of the cast of FFXIII except for like, Sazh.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I tend to like individual actions of characters more than their consistency as well-crafted and relatable "persons", so I guess that's just a difference. Also why I do like Zell and Selphie a lot in FF8, and nobody else. Selphie especially is almost the same as Vanille, ridiculously over-the-top but actually the only party member to have an agenda or even a plan most of the time. That counts a lot for me.

Hope is for now a complete failure to me because I can't really relate, and I'd argue that even if you can, he's still not likeable (deliberately, then, but...that doesn't really make it better, imho).

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
Here, I can tolerate Hope, even sympathize with him: he's a dumb kid thrust into something bigger, and harder, and sadder than he's ready for. But that good will can't, and we shouldn't be asked for it to, last forever, not without something besides a bad initial situation to keep it going.
Actually, I'm dubious about even that. See, here's something you can even notice in these discussions: the people arguing for Hope as being really sympathetic aren't talking much about Hope, and are largely talking about his situation. We don't know anything about Hope, except he's a kid whose mom died. That's Hope, pretty much. He's more situation than character. But think about characters we like: those who like Vanille like her for what she does for the story. Those who like Sazh -- well, at this point, we don't know what Sazh's situation is outside the general plot, and we don't care, because Sazh has a personality, and a bird in his afro, and these things are enjoyable. If bad things happened to Sazh, we'd probably feel bad even if the bad things were minor, or even if he wasn't too sad about them...Because we like Sazh, and therefor have sympathy for him and are rooting for him. Hope isn't sympathetic -- his situation is. For a character whose primary mode of engagement is sympathy, this is bad.

But more on Hope later.
I don't hate him, but am so annoyed by how badly they screwed up his character arc. I mean, they made a lust for vengeance or conflict boring, and that is stunning.

D3m3 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 17, 2014

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Uh, guys, maaaaybe we're going a bit too far ahead in the plot?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can understand why anime teenager isn't feeling confident, what with his mom dead and him fighting robo-behemoths and gods with a boomerang. I can, it makes sense. Doesn't mean I really care to see him struggle to hold a conversation for agonizingly slow drawn out minutes at a time.

Nonetheless, I can't wait till we get to talking about the final boss in seven pages

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

Camel Pimp posted:

Uh, guys, maaaaybe we're going a bit too far ahead in the plot?

Sorry, I'll edit. It's very difficult to talk about Hope as he is, because he's not much as it is.
Edited.

D3m3 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 17, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

People can debate whether Hope is likable or not all day, I'll keep asking myself where the hell he got that boomerang from. Everyone else had some explanation for their weaponry (Lightning's has a scabbard, Sazh has both of his guns on his belt, Snow's weapon is his coat...somehow..., Vanille got hers from that Sanctum place), but Hope suddenly...pulls that thing out of his rear end.

It's weird, since there's clearly some consistency weapon-wise, but Hope's just comes straight out of nowhere, even moreso since he's the only character without any excuse to be armed. Lightning's an ex-soldier, Sazh was taken prisoner or something if I understand the train sequence right, Vanille found hers after the game began, and Snow's just rocking that coat (why does that coat power him up, seriously), but Hope had a deadly boomerang on him...hidden entirely from view...because...

If everyone just materialized their weapons from the aether (as Final Fantasy characters usually do), then I wouldn't mind at all, but Hope is the only one to do this. It's just so inconsistent and gets me annoyed far more than it should, especially since the art direction is basically the only thing here that's even remotely praise-worthy, apart from the really good music.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Blaze Dragon posted:

People can debate whether Hope is likable or not all day, I'll keep asking myself where the hell he got that boomerang from. Everyone else had some explanation for their weaponry (Lightning's has a scabbard, Sazh has both of his guns on his belt, Snow's weapon is his coat...somehow..., Vanille got hers from that Sanctum place), but Hope suddenly...pulls that thing out of his rear end.

It's weird, since there's clearly some consistency weapon-wise, but Hope's just comes straight out of nowhere, even moreso since he's the only character without any excuse to be armed. Lightning's an ex-soldier, Sazh was taken prisoner or something if I understand the train sequence right, Vanille found hers after the game began, and Snow's just rocking that coat (why does that coat power him up, seriously), but Hope had a deadly boomerang on him...hidden entirely from view...because...

If everyone just materialized their weapons from the aether (as Final Fantasy characters usually do), then I wouldn't mind at all, but Hope is the only one to do this. It's just so inconsistent and gets me annoyed far more than it should, especially since the art direction is basically the only thing here that's even remotely praise-worthy, apart from the really good music.

Actually, he does have a reason to have a weapon. Vanille gave it to him on screen, just before they got on the fish cycle (IIRC). Of course, it was nearly impossible to tell what it was, just that she was giving him something, so I don't blame you for missing it. Where he stores it, well, that I'm drawing a blank on.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Ashsaber posted:

Actually, he does have a reason to have a weapon. Vanille gave it to him on screen, just before they got on the fish cycle (IIRC). Of course, it was nearly impossible to tell what it was, just that she was giving him something, so I don't blame you for missing it. Where he stores it, well, that I'm drawing a blank on.

No but you see, it folds up :downs:

vvv Hope's abs aren't nearly as rock-hard or sexy as Vaan's vvv

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 17, 2014

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Hope is like Vaan in that there's some rear end in a top hat who killed a relative of his and he spends a lot of time getting mad at whoever said rear end in a top hat was, there's an overly chipper girl who tags along with him, and the adults really don't care about them beyond what's expected. Vaan got over his anger in the end once the big picture got revealed to him, but Hope pretty much saw Snow next to his dead mom seconds after her death. I don't really remember how exactly he coped with Snow's presence in the game, but I'm curious about how it's going to play out when/if Hope decides to tell Snow about what he saw that day.

Edit:

Instant Grat posted:

vvv Hope's abs aren't nearly as rock-hard or sexy as Vaan's vvv

Hope didn't live in a desert town doing hard labor.

A Bystander fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 17, 2014

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Ashsaber posted:

She gave him an assault rifle. The scene even shows Hope leaving it behind on the ground. So no, there's absolutely no reason why he has a boomerang up his rear end.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 17, 2014

derra
Dec 29, 2012
It's a toy boomerang. He took it with him on vacation.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I think the description of Hope's starting weapon is something about how it's a remote-controlled hunting boomerang used for sport or somesuch. As to how it fits in his back pocket, well, like I said earlier, it folds up :downs:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
A remote-control hunting boomerang? That's the dumbest hunting utility I've ever heard of. How would it even work?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Mehuyael posted:

A remote-control hunting boomerang? That's the dumbest hunting utility I've ever heard of. How would it even work?

I laughed. :v:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Mehuyael posted:

He is a middle class kid. It was a Chri'stmas toy. He can't throw a real boomerang right.

Alternatively, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger had remote control boomerangs, and those were pretty useful.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 6: Tri-Disastrous (Polsy) :siren:

Music

The Pulse L'Cie

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

Casting the Net

Lightning and the others leave Snow behind with the crystallized Serah. As they continue their flight across the glassy expanse of Lake Bresha, the four companions spy a large contingent of Sanctum soldiers.

In order to hunt down and exterminate the Purge fugitives, the government is mobilizing an inordinate number of troops. The excessive reaction is further proof of Cocoon's fear and hatred of Pulse. Even those who have barely come into contact with lowerworld elements cannot be permitted to exist.

This all-consuming fear of some imagined corruption is the origin of the Purge. The entire population of a town was subjected to the Purge simply for living near the uncovered Pulse fal'Cie.

It was Cocoon's citizens, in their terror, who allowed such an extreme policy to become a reality — the government simply acted in response to the will of the people. And Eden, the fal'Cie who guides the Sanctum, gave its tacit consent through silence.

Now, after untold bloodshed, a military net is closing around the fleeing l'Cie, driven by the clamoring of a panicked and angry populace.

quote:

The Fal'Cie: Eden

The namesake of Cocoon's capital, this fal'Cie directs the others of its kind who support the world's day-to-day existence. While Cocoon's other fal'Cie do not communicate with humans, Eden does. Presiding over the Sanctum's otherwise human administration, the fal'Cie is known to issue orders to the Primarch and step in to correct political gaffes on occasion.

As the sole operational nexus linking untold numbers of fal'Cie, it is not unthinkable that the loss of Eden could spell the end of Cocoon itself.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So the fal'Cie thing is bad because you're given a trial that you have to complete otherwise you get crystalled or zombied. But you also get magic powers.

How can there be people in the military using magic then and not be immediately executed?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

RareAcumen posted:

So the fal'Cie thing is bad because you're given a trial that you have to complete otherwise you get crystalled or zombied. But you also get magic powers.

How can there be people in the military using magic then and not be immediately executed?

Not even making GBS threads you; this will be answered in the next video.

Punchline: I bring it up more or less out of nowhere.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
I suppose that the difference between incidental dialogue and cutscenes depends on how many lines are said. Like, in the dialogue between Hope and Vanille, there were like 2 lines, while in the cutscenes where Lightning is all dark and broody about how Serah never told her about her Focus, there were like 8 lines. Maybe there's some sort of limit? Who knows.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
IIRC the Librascope is actually better than Libra, because Libra reveals part of the enemy stats (and can be used multiple times to get more) while Librascope immediately reveals all.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

I think it's crystalled if you do it, zombied if you don't.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fedule posted:

Not even making GBS threads you; this will be answered in the next video.

Punchline: I bring it up more or less out of nowhere.

:ohdear: I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to ask questions before you had a chance to explain them! Now the thread's gonna go off about the next seven chapters. :sigh:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

RareAcumen posted:

:ohdear: I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to ask questions before you had a chance to explain them! Now the thread's gonna go off about the next seven chapters. :sigh:

Nah man it's cool. I was just laughing at the fact that of all the world details to ask about you picked the one that I basically picked out of a hat when I wanted to make a point about world details generally in the next video.

Just remember: Every time someone inadvertently brings up something we mention in a future video, it goes a little further towards proving the point that Final Fantasy XIII provides basically nothing of worth to talk about.

Hell, I'll even answer your actual question right now: Soldiers can use magic because they have a "Manadrive" that synthesizes its effects (their battle abilities are all called things like Manadrive Fire, etc). It uses the same technology as Lightning's gravity thingy (I think it may even be the same device, although spoiler; no enemy soldier will ever do gravity hax). You can read all about it in the datalog.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Fedule posted:

Hell, I'll even answer your actual question right now: Soldiers can use magic because they have a "Manadrive" that synthesizes its effects (their battle abilities are all called things like Manadrive Fire, etc). It uses the same technology as Lightning's gravity thingy (I think it may even be the same device, although spoiler; no enemy soldier will ever do gravity hax). You can read all about it in the datalog.

It's not magic, it's science! :science: Clearly trustworthy and very different from those L'cie scum!

By the way, I never completed the game, so can you tell me an estimate of how plot contrived the Manadrives will become? Unless that's is too big of a spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Carlioo posted:

It's not magic, it's science! :science: Clearly trustworthy and very different from those L'cie scum!

By the way, I never completed the game, so can you tell me an estimate of how plot contrived the Manadrives will become? Unless that's is too big of a spoiler.

It's cute that you think the plot will involve world details.

• Locked thread