Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Artix posted:

Alright, well since the recording session fell though, I'd feel bad for not having any content at all this week, so here's the first video of the update. Once we get the second one fixed up and ready, I'll do the full update post then.

Update 19: Part 1 (Polsy)

So Fedule mentioned that a post should have covered a weapon Snow got in the last video that didn't get discussed in-video. Did I miss that happening? Was there something special about that weapon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well I did say this was only half the update. :v:

Basically, the Paladin weapon that Snow is using now has the ability HP Surge, which increases his stats as long as he stays above 90% HP. It's not super, super useful since 90% is a tough margin to maintain, but Snow's HP is so drat high that his 90% threshold gives him twice as much breathing room as anyone else.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I loving love Fang. She almost makes the cutscenes she's in good, but sadly there are usually other people around, and that godawful NORA nonsense still creeps in.

Also her "btw Vanille is also from Pulse" all casual is the best.

By the way, it's starting to annoy me that you don't play right (aka exactly like me)!!! I switch Paradigms constantly in pretty much every single fight, for the free bars as much as for the role change. The thing is, obviously it's still working very well for you and you get 5 stars still. It's baffling that for example in the first Orion fight, you can Slow once and then keep Relentless Assault up all the time - people say the game plays itself and you just have to hit X, and in so many cases, it's simple true. As I went into the game with prior knowledge, I knew about the free ATBs, and always thought complainers about the "X only" issue just didn't get it (no fault of theirs, of course), but it's not even wrong, what the gently caress :psyduck:.

though you totally could have staggered and launched the guy if you had switched paradigms more, I'm sure of it

EDIT: Of course, it's not Relentless Assault but Slash&Burn because we're still in loving TWO-PERSON-PARTY-ASSVILLE

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 18, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well yeah, if I had purposefully wasted more time in Undermine I might have been able to stagger him, but Lightning doesn't add enough stagger on her own before Fang kills him because of the damage multiplier. :colbert:

In fact, that's by far the biggest weakness of the Fang/Lightning pair - Fang doesn't have Ravager, so more often than not you're just going to end up damage racing something down rather than stagger them because Lightning is the only one that can drive the chain gauge up.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

If you're controlling Fang, doesn't Saboteur increase the gauge more than commando?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah, just after writing the post I remember how frustrating the Fang/Lightning pair is because they have all the pieces of a great team, but like the most important one is missing, the "actually getting that chain up" issue.

As you're controlling Fang, though, you can at least tell her to keep casting Slow (something the AI will never do, to my unending annoyance), so some switching to Undermine (that IS Sab/Rav, right?) gives you more Rav casts from Lightning through free ATBs than if you're just staying in Com/Rav. This should be good to stagger; of course, you lose like half the HP damage from Fang's Com, so I'm not sure if it actually matters.

My internal argument for switching all the time no matter what is, however, that it's doing something, and I kinda like that in games, being able to control poo poo beyond a single button.
Yeah you kinda have to force FF13 to become a game, what a great piece of video entertainment design.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Simply Simon posted:

I loving love Fang. She almost makes the cutscenes she's in good, but sadly there are usually other people around, and that godawful NORA nonsense still creeps in.

Also her "btw Vanille is also from Pulse" all casual is the best.

By the way, it's starting to annoy me that you don't play right (aka exactly like me)!!! I switch Paradigms constantly in pretty much every single fight, for the free bars as much as for the role change. The thing is, obviously it's still working very well for you and you get 5 stars still. It's baffling that for example in the first Orion fight, you can Slow once and then keep Relentless Assault up all the time - people say the game plays itself and you just have to hit X, and in so many cases, it's simple true. As I went into the game with prior knowledge, I knew about the free ATBs, and always thought complainers about the "X only" issue just didn't get it (no fault of theirs, of course), but it's not even wrong, what the gently caress :psyduck:.

though you totally could have staggered and launched the guy if you had switched paradigms more, I'm sure of it

EDIT: Of course, it's not Relentless Assault but Slash&Burn because we're still in loving TWO-PERSON-PARTY-ASSVILLE
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > we're still in loving TWO-PERSON-PARTY-ASSVILLE [Final Fantasy XIII]

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

As I went into the game with prior knowledge, I knew about the free ATBs, and always thought complainers about the "X only" issue just didn't get it (no fault of theirs, of course), but it's not even wrong, what the gently caress :psyduck:.
It's sort of wrong, in that that's not the intended way to play, and not the most enjoyable way to play. The problem is that the game lets you play in an unfun way and get away with it. It punishes you for playing badly not with quick failure like it should, but just by making success take forever.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I think the thing that surprised me the most in this video was the little girl talking about playing hide and seek with the soldiers. It's an actual example of subtle, humanizing writing; a soldier clearly found some girls, told them to hide and tried to keep the truth from them and this is all information we get just from this small aside. It plays off the scene were the soldiers are uneasy with the fire at will orders and plays to the idea that they're not the bad guys and are mostly motivated by societal fear brought about by morally dubious superiors. It's a little thing but I'm just gobsmacked that this bit of actual clever, presentable writing somehow made its way into this trainwreck :psyduck:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

ManlyGrunting posted:

I think the thing that surprised me the most in this video was the little girl talking about playing hide and seek with the soldiers. It's an actual example of subtle, humanizing writing; a soldier clearly found some girls, told them to hide and tried to keep the truth from them and this is all information we get just from this small aside. It plays off the scene were the soldiers are uneasy with the fire at will orders and plays to the idea that they're not the bad guys and are mostly motivated by societal fear brought about by morally dubious superiors. It's a little thing but I'm just gobsmacked that this bit of actual clever, presentable writing somehow made its way into this trainwreck :psyduck:

And when Snow could have easily snuck through the arbitrary crowd he makes a big loving scene to "scare them away" and then the crowd shows up five seconds later with makeshift weapons and he needs to waste time threatening them again ANYWAY.

On the party chat, I like having Fang/Hope/X because it covers all the bases you need for any team to be successful. Person that heals/buffs/chains and someone to at least launch and debuff, and tank in a pinch. The only problem is that there is no Tri-Disaster to abuse until way later when everyone gets all roles unlocked.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Fang/Hope/Lightning is one of the best 3 man party combos by the end of the game. I don't know if they are the "best" or if technically there is a better combination but it's what i used from the time you are allowed to until the end of the game i had no problems at all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Fang/Hope/Lightning is one of the best 3 man party combos by the end of the game. I don't know if they are the "best" or if technically there is a better combination but it's what i used from the time you are allowed to until the end of the game i had no problems at all.

This. ^^^

I said in the commentary for this video that Fang became a mainstay of my party from the moment you could choose your own party onward in the game, but the party I used the most without fail was Fang/Lightning/Hope. The only variation was whether Fang or Lightning was my party leader at any given time (because I sure as poo poo wasn't putting Hope in charge of the party).

It's the party I 5-starred the the final boss with without even really trying. So there's that. (And that's a trophy/achievement feat in this game too.)

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Fang/Sazh/Lightning is much better because with it you can try to forget that hope exists.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Fang/Sazh/Lightning is much better because with it you can try to forget that hope exists.

But that MAGIC stat!!!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Plus Sazh gets Haste later than Hope does! I need Haste now, not later.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
Fang/Lightning/Vanille was my endgame team. Partly because vanille has some cool things Hope does not and partly because gently caress Hope.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Are you sure that Sazh isn't the first to get Haste? For me, that made Sazh vs. Hope an actually meaningful decision for a while during the midgame.

I actually really don't like that Fang/Hope/Lightning is by and large The Best Party, because as soon as you finally gain flexibility with the advent of "holy poo poo I can choose my party", you pretty much immediately realize that there are good configurations and far worse ones, and that there is even one that is just superiour on average, certain special farming strats for postgame notwithstanding.

I still like to try out different things (Vanille is SUCH a good Sab! Sazh is Sazh and his Blitz can be devastating!), but inevitably, there is a boss that takes ages or kills me all the time and in my frustration, I switch to The Best Party and suddenly it's an absolute breeze. This is kind of a tragedy, because the game might as well still choose your party for you.

It actually has a very simple explanation: with most parties, you have to sacrifice something. Midgame Sazh doesn't get defensive Buffs as a Syn and is a bad Ravager. Vanille has poo poo for life and Sab is not a good substitute for Com. As you only have two mainline Sentinels, some parties might lack even that (which isn't THAT big of a problem for normal gameplay and some bosses).

But The Best Party? Pretty much no downsides. This is what makes it the best, and the problem only gets magnified in the end-/postgame; they will stay the best AND gain more flexibility as their roles open, and everyone else can only try to be a poor substitute. It's annoying and a huge drag on a game that really doesn't need any more thing weighing it down.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Simply Simon posted:

Are you sure that Sazh isn't the first to get Haste? For me, that made Sazh vs. Hope an actually meaningful decision for a while during the midgame.

Pretty sure Hope gets it first and then Sazh gets it a couple of chapters after that. It's been quite a while since i've played the game myself so i might be getting that wrong :v:

E: I want to say that Hope gets the elemental buffs much later than Sazh does and that's suppose to be the big deciding factor. But really as much as i like Sazh as a character there is no dethroning the almighty Haste.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 19, 2014

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Sazh definitely gets Haste much earlier than Hope.

BumSCL
Nov 5, 2012
Sazh learns Haste on Stage 6 of the Synergist tree, while Hope get's it on Stage 9. Until near the very end of their respective trees, Sazh's buffs are offensivly focused, with Hope's being defensively focused.

For the most part, my party generally switched between Fang/Lightning/Sazh or Fang/Lightning/Hope, depending on what was more needed. I barely ever touched Snow or Vanille.

BumSCL fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 19, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well, that's a whole lot of discussion about Party Composition, which is great! ...Except for the whole part where we can't actually choose our party yet (though it is coming up relatively soon!)

I'm just going to add this one little bit and then we're going to put a lid on this discussion until Chapter 9 when it's actually meaningful. Fang/Lighting/Hope is, if not outright the best party in the game, certainly in the top 2. It has very few weaknesses and the mix of party members means that it can do pretty much anything without too much trouble, and it sacrifices very little in doing so. The other "best" party in the game is Snow/Sazh/Vanille for pretty much the exact same reason, and the differences between the two pretty much come down to whether you value Combat Clinic or Tri-Disaster more.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Pretty sure Hope gets it first and then Sazh gets it a couple of chapters after that. It's been quite a while since i've played the game myself so i might be getting that wrong :v:

E: I want to say that Hope gets the elemental buffs much later than Sazh does and that's suppose to be the big deciding factor. But really as much as i like Sazh as a character there is no dethroning the almighty Haste.

Sazh will get Haste at the very beginning of the next chapter, and he already has most of the En-*element* spells. Hope has a majority of the Bar-*element* spells as well as the defensive buffs, and both of them will be lacking what the other has until we're basically running up on endgame. It's a really good way to differentiate them, to be honest.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Hm, i knew it was one way or the other with the whole Haste thing. I guess most of my memories of this game come from the end where,shockingly, it's actually kinda fun!

It's just strange how the inclusion of just one other person in the party makes the Light/Fang duo (or any of the 2 man parties really) go from "meh" to "absolutly amazing"

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The offical strategy guide says Fang/Hope/Lightning is the best party setup, as Fang is the best Commando and also a good sentinal, Hope is the best magic user and Lightning is the best Ravager.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Artix posted:

Alright, well since the recording session fell though, I'd feel bad for not having any content at all this week, so here's the first video of the update. Once we get the second one fixed up and ready, I'll do the full update post then.

Update 19: Part 1 (Polsy)

Here's what a real MLRS looks like:

http://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/browse-career-and-job-categories/combat/multiple-launch-rocket-system-crewmember.html

It is not generally used by snipers.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Nor do a lot of real-life snipers ride jetpacks up to about two feet away from the thing they're shooting at or fly in circles waiting for their target to run towards them. What I'm saying is, like pretty much everyone on Cocoon, these snipers are terrible at their job.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Blastinus posted:

Nor do a lot of real-life snipers ride jetpacks up to about two feet away from the thing they're shooting at or fly in circles waiting for their target to run towards them. What I'm saying is, like pretty much everyone on Cocoon, these snipers are terrible at their job.

I think in this universe, the Art of War is a pop up coloring book. The farthest you could have a sniper from its target is one end of the page to the edge of the next page.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

I think in this universe, the Art of War is a pop up coloring book. The farthest you could have a sniper from its target is one end of the page to the edge of the next page.

If I wasn't completely busy this afternoon, I would totally photoshop Jihl Nabaat's Big Book of War right now.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Blastinus posted:

The Guardian Corps could learn a thing or two from X-Com, their Snipers do just fine on a jetpack. Of course they hover more than 5 inches off the ground during battle so that's already an improvment.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, that escape up a building with a jetpack was pretty neat. Sometimes Snow does very entertaining, if stupid, things.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 19: Repulsed! Cowardly L'Cie Flee in Face of Heroic Stand by Citizens :siren:

Part 1 (Polsy)
Part 2 (Polsy)

Music

Will to Fight

quote:

Live for your soul, resist now
Yes, choose to fight
Although it seems so far to be a Perfect day
Lift up your hands, and redeem your pride.

Although it seems so far to be a Perfect day
Lift up your hands, and redeem your pride.

Sustained by Hate

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

It's Called "Interference"

Colonel Rosch, PSICOM Director in command of l'Cie operations, decides to escalate the military presence in Palumpolum. Authorizing open warfare in the streets while civilians are still being evacuated is inviting disaster, but he is willing to make that sacrifice.

If the l'Cie are not put down here and now, the Pulse-phobic populace will reach boiling point: Cocoon's towns will erupt in riots, and the loss of life will be staggering.

Meanwhile, the l'Cie — who are currently split into two groups — choose Hope's house as a rendezvous point. But will they all make it?

Every word that the oblivious Snow says feeds the flames of Hope's anger. Has Snow forgotten what he's done? Has he forgotten how he got Hope's mother killed? Hope's patience has finally run out.

During a radio conversation with Lightning, he states his intention to carry out Operation Nora...and take his revenge. With that, the line goes dead.

Lightning tries to reason with Hope, but her desperate plea never reaches him.

quote:

The Pulse L'Cie

The hellish lowerworld feared by every citizen of Cocoon is known to Fang as Gran Pulse. On the way to Hope's home, she begins relating her past in response to Lightning's probing.

Fang reveals that she is a l'Cie from Gran Pulse — the world below the floating shell of Cocoon. After completing a Focus, she had turned to crystal.

When she awoke, Fang found herself very far from home in the nest of her enemies. And she was not alone — Vanille, a fellow Gran Pulse l'Cie, was with her.

Meanwhile, in another part of the city, Snow and Hope spy a group of Palumpolum civilians being herded by Sanctum troops. The government means to Purge them too...

Thinking to rescue the people from their fate, Snow leaps into action, ever the cheerful hero — but this serves only to further agitate Hope.

What does a l'Cie with no hope for the future have to smile about? Shaking his head in disgust, Hope awaits his opportunity to take his revenge.

quote:

Mob Injustice

Snow has seen the merciless nature of the Sanctum army.

The military's goal is not the protection of civilians — it is the extermination of l'Cie. As long as the Pulse servants are killed, the number of innocent deaths is inconsequential.

Snow threatens the citizens, hoping to make them run as far away as possible, and thus protect them from ending their days as 'collateral damage.'

But his good intentions are misunderstood.

An angry mob tracks down the two l'Cie, and advances on them with a mix of trepidation and determination. They believe they are doing the right thing—that they are standing up in defense of their homes.

The scene reminds Hope just how much everyone on Cocoon hates l'Cie. Hates him. Coming face-to-face with this cruel reality, Hope falls ever deeper into despair. Even if he makes it back to his home in Felix Heights, there is no salvation waiting for him there.

His mother, Nora, is no longer around to shield him from the dangers of the world.

Snow saw to that.

quote:

Over the Edge

Hope finally unleashes the anger he has been feeding for so long. Channeling his hate into deadly power, he blasts Snow with fiery magic. But just as he prepares to deal the killing blow, he is hurled from the roof of the building they are standing on by a nearby explosion.

Snow doesn't hesitate for a second. He hasn't forgotten the dying wish of a mother who fell during the violence of the Purge. Catching the boy he now knows is her son, Snow shields Hope with his own body as they crash to the ground below.

Elsewhere, Lightning listens as Fang makes a confession... [Insert a bunch of poo poo at the start of the next video]

Artix fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 14, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

They'll be fine, fall damage is negligible! :downs:

I keep liking Snow's "less whining more doing" attitude, it's an attitude more people in this game could have. Sure, he keeps loving up literally everything he does, but at least he's not a big bag of wangst who can't do poo poo because he's too busy whining about it.

Hope keeps being incredibly unlikable. The moment he said that l'Cie have no hope but a quick death, I was really, really wishing he followed his own advice. That said, the angst explosion made me laugh so hard. Wonderful job making a bad scene hilarious as always, guys.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 24, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"Did you get hit in the head or something?" is something every single JRPG character ever should be asked at least once. Snow keeps rocking on despite all you haters.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 24, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Welp this update's done it. I'm firmly in camp Snow now.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Fedule, I'm with you there about that billboard. There was no earthly reason why the Sanctum had to randomly fire on a floating advertisement, other than the fact that the story writers needed a quick scene to say "Yup, those guys sure are evil." But it doesn't show that they're evil, just kind of trigger-happy and petty, because nobody got hurt, and nobody was inconvenienced by having one less floating billboard.

In short, that little scene was 100% pointless. Just another pretty explosion.

e: Also, a quick Google search on the name Ushumgal either brings up FF13, a creature from FF11, or an ancient Sumerian land grant, centered around a priest by the name of Ushumgal. So basically, Square-Enix just took a random name they found off the internet and decided that it was exotic enough for a monster name.

Blastinus fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 24, 2014

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

I think the way I dealt with those motorcycles involved using those synthesis abilities, and just giving everyone physical wall 15. :byodood: STEELGUARD seems like it worked better though.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Blastinus posted:

e: Also, a quick Google search on the name Ushumgal either brings up FF13, a creature from FF11, or an ancient Sumerian land grant, centered around a priest by the name of Ushumgal. So basically, Square-Enix just took a random name they found off the internet and decided that it was exotic enough for a monster name.

Square-Enix.txt, go online, search a wiki for Babylonian, or Sumerian, or Sumatran myths and find the least tenuously related name for your monster, or organization, or weapon.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Regy Rusty posted:

Welp this update's done it. I'm firmly in camp Snow now.

It's easy to be in Camp Snow with Troy Baker voicing him. Even if half the time I keep expecting his characters to start acting like Kanji.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I just love how anti angst Snow is. He has very good reason to be brooding angst but he just keeps a bright outlook, and Troy Baker rally helps that along.

He isnt super broody like Hope and lightning or saccharine and whimsically bubbly like Vanille. Hes earned the third spot in the good guys ranking.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hes earned the third spot in the good guys HERO:byodood: ranking.

Fixed that for you.

But yes, he was certainly the darkhorse for me. Sazh was a definite favorite right out the gate, and I expected to hate Snow, but he redeemed himself nicely during this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So just a minor update, I've gone and added the lyrics for some of the tracks that were missing or incomplete (among others, Serah's Theme (EN) and Will to Fight). Now you too can be baffled as to why Square completely rewrote perfectly fine lyrics or why they included them in the first place!

Artix fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 25, 2014

• Locked thread