Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't hate you enough to do something as tedious-looking as 1, and I kinda want to see the important ones so I won't vote 3. 2 it is.

There's something to be said for this game when in its apparent best moment it still looks tedious as hell though. Incredibly pretty, but tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I do hope you finish the hunts at some point as the later ones are genuinely fun and interesting (and have funny cutscenes)

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
I'm pretty sure 34 and 55 are the only latter missions I wanted to do. The former was mostly due to reasons that make sense once you see that mission, while the latter's reward is insanely useful.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
I think I'm the only one who voted to continue with the plot so we can get this trainwreck of a story over with.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The faster we finish FF13, the quicker we get to FF13-2. And I like my brain cells where they are, thank you very much.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You...you like your brain cells where they are, yet you want to get to 13-2 faster?

:crossarms:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Artix posted:

You...you like your brain cells where they are, yet you want to get to 13-2 faster?

He probably voted to do ALL THE HUNTS. Delaying tactic, I suppose.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah don't go nuts on the hunts. Do the ones that are on the way. I remember I had trouble with the guy who climbs up the cliff and moved on at that point, then doubled back after finishing the chapter, then got the exp egg before continuing again.

salttotart
Mar 29, 2010

What's my favorite thing?
I voted number 1. Let's face it, you spent all of this time getting to this point and you are going to neglect what makes this a Final Fantasy game? This is your first taste of freedom in God knows how long and we shouldn't just spoil it by moving on so quickly. Besides, once you get to a certain past Chapter 11 you aren't going to be able to come to pulse until you enter Eden's Cradle in Chapter 13. Besides, who wouldn't want to make a trivial joke of the hardest "random" mobs in the game?

However, if number 2 means coming back just before continuing to Chapter 12 (although I highly doubt it does), I would switch my vote to that. The Growth Egg is too hard to pass up, man.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ReturnOfFable posted:

I think I'm the only one who voted to continue with the plot so we can get this trainwreck of a story over with.

I'm the second one. Pretty as pulse is, the hunts really aren't as interesting to me as the actual mess of the plot.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Artix posted:

I meant I want to spend as much time in 13-1 as possible.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I meant I want to spend as much time in 13-1 as possible.

Really though, the FF13 trilogy isn't for you if you care for your brain cells.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

salttotart posted:

I voted number 1. Let's face it, you spent all of this time getting to this point and you are going to neglect what makes this a Final Fantasy game? This is your first taste of freedom in God knows how long and we shouldn't just spoil it by moving on so quickly. Besides, once you get to a certain past Chapter 11 you aren't going to be able to come to pulse until you enter Eden's Cradle in Chapter 13. Besides, who wouldn't want to make a trivial joke of the hardest "random" mobs in the game?

However, if number 2 means coming back just before continuing to Chapter 12 (although I highly doubt it does), I would switch my vote to that. The Growth Egg is too hard to pass up, man.

It says right in the vote post that they're not backtracking to Pulse right before chapter 12.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Artix posted:

Well 13-2 is the better game after all. :v:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

Well 13-2 is the better game after all. :v:

Honestly, I liked both of them, but, I feel like 13-2 was more fun. There's like one or two sections of crap, but the rest I didn't have a problem with. Plus monster dress-up.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The Pokemon elements of XIII-2 sucked me right in so I also think XIII-2 is better. You just have to ignore the story.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So I think that with a 40 vote lead and 70% of the total, it's safe to say we'll do the important hunts then get moving with the plot again. By my estimate, that means we'll be looking at two more videos dedicated to hunts before moving on.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One nice thing is that if you do all the hunts in order, it does eventually lead you to the plot.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So here's something that's kinda cool. People have been datamining the game (and previews like E3 discs, the demo that came with Advent Children Complete, etc) for various beta/dummied out stuff, and they found an area that was presumably going to be DLC but was never finished. This is the Seventh Ark, and it features some kind of weird computer chip things and a recolor of Anima called Nemesis as the boss.

E: Including datalogs for the area and Nemesis.

The Seventh Ark: One of the military installations of which the legends of Gran Pulse speak. The Fifth Arc is clearly an arsenal ready to combat invaders; the Seventh, instead, has as its principal function to awaken the hidden power of the l'Cie.

Nemesis: Fal'Cie lord and master of the Seventh Arc. Its work consists of harassing the l'Cie in the middle of cruel tests and obligating them to surpass their own limits. Apparently it trains them to fight against someone, but it is not known who. Nemesis and its Arc already existed in the times before the construction of Cocoon.

Here's a map:

Artix fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 20, 2014

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
...Wow. That's some of the blandest DLC I have ever seen. It literally just looks like one of the rooms from the previous area, and then just adding a recoloured boss? Maybe more was planned, but this just look like more poo poo too me.

Also, a thing I wonder about the placeholder text: if you're just gonna delete the content anyway, why even bother translating? I mean, it's clear that they didn't translate the text anyway, but the placeholder text is still weird.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Carlioo posted:

Also, a thing I wonder about the placeholder text: if you're just gonna delete the content anyway, why even bother translating? I mean, it's clear that they didn't translate the text anyway, but the placeholder text is still weird.

Could just be a holdover to make sure the text displays correctly, who knows.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I'm reading the "translate this last, it'll be deleted anyway" in Bartandalus's voice. Just a gigantic troll telling someone to do the most pointless, futile task... just like this game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

FeyerbrandX posted:

I'm reading the "translate this last, it'll be deleted anyway" in Bartandalus's voice. Just a gigantic troll telling someone to do the most pointless, futile task... just like this game.

:troll: is basically Barthandelus's entire character anyway.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 34: Paling in Comparison (Polsy) :siren:

Music

Chocobo de Pulse

Bestiary

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
I'm actually rather embarrassed to say that the gimmick with Geiseric's hand took me half a dozen tries to figure out. It was only after I accidentally stopped on the target selection menu that I realized that there was a thing to go after, so I kept on getting smooshed into the dirt.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Fang, it's not your fault.

Vanille on the other hand :razz:

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Those fuckin Chocobos are adorable :3:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I have to say that Geiseric's design is really creepy. It's the hands over the eyes, the Cieth eye on its chest, and the mouth open in an unending scream of torment. You really get the sense that the thing is a damned soul.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
What weirds me out is the hands over the eyes are upside-down. If they were human, the thumbs would be up, not down.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You know, I think Sazh and Fang could have some pretty interesting conversations, just because of their background, but this is probably the only time they'll really sit down and talk. Meditating on the tragedy of Dajh among comic-relief chocobos.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Fumanchucabos are the best thing ever holy poo poo :swoon:

Pity about... everything else, really

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 35: A Feathery Frolic with Friends (Polsy) :siren:

Bestiary

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Man, that spot by the save point where the Megistotherian is leading the Gorgonopsids out of the little area in a line. :3:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The nice thing about the chocobo treasure hunting game is that the 1st, 5th, and 10th treasures you find are fixed. The 5th and 10th ones reward you with a Tetradic Crown and a Tetradic Tiara. These can be upgraded and dismantled to produce Sprint Shoes, which are far and away the best accessories in the game - they grant Auto-Haste. It won't last as long as Haste cast by a synergist, but it's more than enough time to finish off more encounters. Also, you get a Tetradic Crown from beating Cid way back when, so that's Sprint Shoes for the whole party. Most importantly, this allows you to swap out Sazh for Hope, who (gameplay-wise) is a much better character all around, since you don't need him for Haste anymore.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Most importantly, this allows you to swap out Sazh for Hope, who (gameplay-wise) is a much better character all around, since you don't need him for Haste anymore.

At the cost of adding Hope to the party. To what lengths will you go for an extra +1 to an attack, good sir?

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Pulse de Chocobo was a bit part of why I bought this game. "Surely," I thought, "nothing with music this awesome could be terrible." Somehow it singlehandedly got me hyped.

I could be more bitter about this, but honestly, it's hard to stay mad at it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Sel Nar posted:

At the cost of adding Hope to the party. To what lengths will you go for an extra +1 to an attack, good sir?

I've recorded two optional boss fights in Chapter 11 so far and in both of them I used Snow/Vanille/Hope so... :v: (Also that's the party I used to beat Cid)

E: Also Sazh, much as I love his character, does totally poo poo damage and has garbage elemental coverage. Not to mention that while Hope has picked up Bravery and Faith, Sazh won't be getting Protect and Shell until the next crystarium tier so Haste aside, Hope is significantly better in combat.

Artix fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 31, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Artix posted:

I've recorded two optional boss fights in Chapter 11 so far and in both of them I used Snow/Vanille/Hope so... :v: (Also that's the party I used to beat Cid)

E: Also Sazh, much as I love his character, does totally poo poo damage and has garbage elemental coverage. Not to mention that while Hope has picked up Bravery and Faith, Sazh won't be getting Protect and Shell until the next crystarium tier so Haste aside, Hope is significantly better in combat.

Sazh does give an extra Commando if you need one, I suppose. Plus he does boast better survivability and is better for stagger/buff maintenance due to his weapons.

Still, that's the beauty of the Crystarium system - every character has their own niches and flaws and while they can all eventually overlap, they still remain six distinct characters which are all situationally useful. Which is more than can be said of FFX once you start breaking locks towards the end of the game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Sazh does give an extra Commando if you need one, I suppose. Plus he does boast better survivability and is better for stagger/buff maintenance due to his weapons.

Still, that's the beauty of the Crystarium system - every character has their own niches and flaws and while they can all eventually overlap, they still remain six distinct characters which are all situationally useful. Which is more than can be said of FFX once you start breaking locks towards the end of the game.

Sazh's better HP is counterbalanced (right now) by Hope having both Protect/Shell and the medic role. This will be less significant once Sazh picks them up, but for now I'd actually argue that Hope has better survivability outside of sheer HP. Also Hope's very first Commando node is Ruin, so there's really no reason to not get him that, at least. He's not a great Commando, but he can do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also he's a much better medic than Lightning, and as was mentioned before, he can be made a commando for super cheap.

• Locked thread