Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

Since his wife was the Sorceress, he could have killed her and avoided all that crap. What was the reason she got the power?
Killed her, how? She's a sorceress and he's, well, a beaurocrat.

Anyway, Kramer accomplished his goal, and even got his wife back safely. Raines is a chump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I have no idea why they would even give you this option, given how battle timers work.

Someone wanted to drink the tears of a fanboy.

"Ooooh, new weapon, and powerful, let's try it out against those damned turtles! :unsmigghh:"

"...why am I moving slower than the turtle?! :gonk:"

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 43: Gentlemen, Start Your Engines :siren:

Part 1 (Polsy)
Part 2 (Polsy)

Music

Start Your Engines
Eden Under Siege

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

Start Your Engines

Lightning and her friends return to Cocoon only to be greeted by the sudden appearance of an army of mechanical monsters and gigantic beasts. The fal'Cie have activated the Ark hidden beneath the capital, releasing an army of Pulsian terrors into the city.

With the army in panicked disarray, the Cavalry seizes its chance. Captain Rygdea leads his troops in an assault on the Sanctum offices, and confronts the new Primarch - his former superior and comrade in arms, Cid Raines.

Raines calmly welcomes his own demise. Revived to serve as Barthandelus's pawn, he nevertheless retains a sliver of the will he possessed as a human. And it is humans who must decide Cocoon's future - not fal'Cie slaves.

The Cavalry presses on with its plans to slay Orphan, unaware that this effort to save the world will only lead to total destruction. Barthandelus has twisted the Cavalry's desire for freedom to meet his own design.

The l'Cie must stop the Cavalry from reaching the heart of Eden before it is too late.

quote:

Eden Under Siege

The creatures once held in stasis within the Ark are now rampaging through the streets of Eden, but this merely marks the beginning of Cocoon's collapse into chaos. Once news of the 'Pulse invasion' spreads to a populace already in the grip of panic, the people will be whipped into a frenzy of terror - and the ensuing orgy of violence will tear society apart.

Yet Cocoon may not survive long enough for that to happen. Even now, the members of the Cavalry charge into the heart of the capital, unwittingly seeking to extinguish the source of power that keeps Cocoon afloat: Orphan. Their idealism is being used against them.

Their quest for liberation is just another cog in Barthandelus's scheme to call back the Maker. He will see the world shattered, and offer the lives of its inhabitants in sacrifice.

Fearing they may already be too late, the l'Cie rush after the Cavalry, through a city engulfed in the flames of war.

quote:

People: Rygdea

Rygdea is an officer in the Wide-area Response Brigade formerly led by Cid Raines.

Disgusted by the deception of the Sanctum, he thought to retire from the military, but instead joined Raines and the Cavalry in their efforts to bring down the government. Rygdea followed the general without question, unaware of his superior's status as a servant of the Sanctum fal'Cie.

Barthandelus has now placed Raines in the position of Primarch, leaving Rygdea to lead the Cavalry in a charge to topple the Sanctum and destroy Orphan.

quote:

Locales: Eden

This city, Cocoon's capital, shares its name with its fal'Cie patron. Host to the world's centers of culture and government, it functions as the heart of human society on Cocoon.

At the city's core rises the monumental Edenhall, seat of the Sanctum's administration. The fal'Cie Eden dwells deep within the structure's interior.

quote:

Cocoon Society: The Homeguard

This Guardian Corps unit is stationed in the capital city of Eden. The most elite soldiers in the Corps, the Homeguard is on equal footing with PSICOM in terms of sheer military might.

As part of an organization that accepts only the best troops the army has to offer, Homeguard veterans are well respected in Cocoon society even after their retirement.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So Pulse all but ruined my interest in FFXIII but Eden Under Siege really redeemed the game for me. I dunno what it was, maybe it was the great music that I'm listening to now, but it had some intense atmosphere and I just had a blast playing it. I was enjoying myself for the first time in a long time when I reached this chapter.

Then the next chapter happened and now I have a copy of FFXIII sitting here and I won't ever touch it again.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So yeah, I'm pretty sure the designers all sat down and said "You know what's awesome? LOST. Let's make a Final Fantasy game like that." So you get Sawyer, needlessly cryptic assholes, Sazh just wanting his boy back, disjointed cutscenes filled with flashbacks, and a plot that makes no sense.

e: also I'm irrationally angry that you guys didn't get the growth egg before leaving Pulse.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 29, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

So yeah, I'm pretty sure the designers all sat down and said "You know what's awesome? LOST. Let's make a Final Fantasy game like that." So you get Sawyer, needlessly cryptic assholes, Sazh just wanting his boy back, disjointed cutscenes filled with flashbacks, and a plot that makes no sense.

e: also I'm irrationally angry that you guys didn't get the growth egg before leaving Pulse.

I never tracked down a source for it, but I saw quotes all over the place saying XIII's flashbacks were inspired by LOST.

It must have been season 1/2 LOST, because the show was almost done by the time the game came out. So yeah, that was the era of what the gently caress twists, the rise of Sawyer, random flashbacks, and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALT!!! :lost:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Fister Roboto posted:

By the time we reach the point where the Growth Egg is going to do anything important I'm going to start cheating anyway. :v:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Incidentally, Snow gets unique lines during Paradigm Shifts if you make him the party leader during the fight with the Proudclad. Not the worst idea, considering the Retaliatory Strike barrage that occurs. You can get similar results if you have Lightning/Fang as the leader during a fight with Barty, though in their case all they do is shout Barty's name different ways.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So did I miss it, or did the game ever try to explain why Rorsch or whoever is alive again after being shot to death?

I don't know if it's been brought up in this LP but the plot to FFXIII might be pretty bad, you guys.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

So did I miss it, or did the game ever try to explain why Rorsch or whoever is alive again after being shot to death?

I don't know if it's been brought up in this LP but the plot to FFXIII might be pretty bad, you guys.

Nope. The game never touches on how or why Rosch survived the Cavalry's false flag ambush in Palumpolum*. He's just suddenly there again in the Proudclad chasing the party down as they flee the Palamecia on Space Pope's birdplane.

I remember doing a double take when it happened. "WHAT?! You're still alive? What the gently caress?!"

I'm guessing it's another product of the game's slapdash, uncoordinated development, because he umambigously takes a bullet to the face in Palumpolum. I'm starting to think his "death" was a remnant from a previous draft that was probably meant to be cut out in favour of him being a recurring antagonist and somehow escaped every level of editorial oversight and actually made it into the finished game despite everyone's actual intentions because, well... the Fabula Nova Crystallis development team. What more do I need to say?

*In-game, at least. I'm sure there's a loving Datalog explaining it somewhere. At least in the Clusterfuck of Final Fantasy VII they turned the non-explanation of Rufus's retconned survival into a running joke. Here, there's nothing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Blastinus posted:

Incidentally, Snow gets unique lines during Paradigm Shifts if you make him the party leader during the fight with the Proudclad. Not the worst idea, considering the Retaliatory Strike barrage that occurs. You can get similar results if you have Lightning/Fang as the leader during a fight with Barty, though in their case all they do is shout Barty's name different ways.

The best is that Sazh calls him "Slymarch".

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The Proudclad is one of the reasons I don't like replaying this game, that stupid ship took me so long to kill, first time around, I never wanted to go through that hell again.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Nihilarian posted:

Killed her, how? She's a sorceress and he's, well, a beaurocrat.

Anyway, Kramer accomplished his goal, and even got his wife back safely. Raines is a chump.
Memory is fuzzy, but I think she got THE POWER during the time she operated the orphanage. Ulty would have possessed one of the children if she refused, but unless Cid was never at the orphanage, either of them could have killed the dying Ultimecia before losing the power and prevented this non-sense. That a Sorceress even needs to transfer their power before they die is a dumb plot point.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

Memory is fuzzy, but I think she got THE POWER during the time she operated the orphanage. Ulty would have possessed one of the children if she refused, but unless Cid was never at the orphanage, either of them could have killed the dying Ultimecia before losing the power and prevented this non-sense. That a Sorceress even needs to transfer their power before they die is a dumb plot point.
Edit: gently caress, I forgot

Anyway, you can't refuse a sorceress. Once she decided Edea was going to get her power, Edea was going to get her power.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 30, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yo so realtalk for a second. I recorded the end of the game this morning and I'm in the process of editing. I don't want to cut up the final boss sequence if I don't have to, but I'm up to 34 minutes already and I haven't even added in the actual final fight and the ~17 minutes of ending and credits after that.

Would you guys rather have one giant ending video that runs the whole gauntlet or should I cut it after...I guess the first Orphan fight? The main problem I'm running into is that there really isn't any good place to cut it and if I don't, we're looking at a 50-55 minute video unless I remove or otherwise speed up the credits.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'm fine with an extra long video, personally.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Boss gauntlet works for me.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Endless battles for me.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'd prefer two videos, if possible.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Make a break at the exact moment when Barts plan begins to fail.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

One giant steaming pile of HD beauty.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Okay, an update if it matters to anyone. The official time for the full final video (credits and all) is 53:02. Cutting out the credits would bring it down to 45:01. I don't have exact times for what the split video would be but it would be the 53 minute video cut at like the 15-20 minute mark.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I generally prefer split videos when there's that much, that way I feel like I don't have to commit to something longer than my attention span lasts on Netflix. But that's just me. :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The last video should be the longest, also keep the bullshit in check. Don't give us a break when the average player didn't back in the day.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Tae posted:

The last video should be the longest, also keep the bullshit in check. Don't give us a break when the average player didn't back in the day.

So what you're saying is a completely unedited take of Vercingetorix. Got it.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I'd prefer one big video, myself.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Heads-up: Steam FFXIII is now £5.49/$7.99

So you can join in on this if you really want to I guess.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 44: Where Hope Goes to Die (Polsy) :siren:

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

A Common Goal

No human wishes to see the world destroyed. The l'Cie, the Cavalry, and even the solders of the Sanctum army are all fighting to keep Cocoon safe from harm.

But despite their common goal, they have been forced into conflict by the machinations of the fal'Cie. It is the great error of these 'higher beings' to view humans as mere tools - yet humans are guilty of a similar crime.

Indeed, it is men like PSICOM's Colonel Rosch, and their outright refusal to believe l'Cie can be anything but tools, that now prevents an alliance which could save mankind.

The l'Cie know that the only way to foil Barthandelus's plan is to protect Orphan. Yet both the Cavalry and Colonel Rosch threaten to thwart them, firmly believing that they alone represent Cocoon's only hope of salvation. If Lightning and the others cannot convince them of the truth, is bloodshed then the only option?

Suddenly, the NORA crew arrive to lend a hand, and Snow is relieved to find that, in spite of his transformation into a l'Cie, his old friends treat him just as they always had. Their acceptance as much as their assistance gives the l'Cie new hope.

There is still a chance to end this conflict, and save the people from themselves.

Artix fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 2, 2015

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wait, so the "secret" to winning that 3 way fight with the Humbaba was to first engage the group you didn't want to attack you?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The long and short of it is that you need to get a preemptive strike in order to not be completely and utterly hosed, and for some reason the game (thankfully) tracks the two groups separately. So even though the Humbaba totally saw us, if we engage one of the Sanctum guys it counts as a preemptive strike and everything acts like a normal 3-way fight. I don't know why they don't use that kind of tracking elsewhere in the game, because I know that on Pulse, the game just checks to see if any of the combatants saw you, rather than if that combatant saw you.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You fight all the battles and the game sometimes stops you from grinding, then you come across a few battles where your whole team gets wiped in one hit. I guess that is why your group is no longer running ahead of you instead of distracting the monsters.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
The more I play XIII-2 and the more I see of this game, it makes me think that this was their attempt at making an SMT game except that they had their own take on the formula. Critical chains are replaced with the stagger gauge for critical hits and dungeons are hit or miss and when they miss, they really miss by a mile.

The Tower was pretty much what I considered to be an SMT dungeon except that instead of going down, it went upwards, didn't have an interesting gimmick or layout and it didn't have interesting puzzles to solve or tricky mazes to go through. Let's not forget that the only people you talk to are stone statues that just give you missions.

They did however, give me one of my favorite RPG characters and that is Sazh. A normal father, struggling with difficult choices with a race against time to get his son back, while having to join forces with some group of people in his universe, including people who were directly responsible for his son's ice coma, a retard who forced everyone into Ciedom, a bumbling angsty teenager and a woman named after a French pastry.

His VA does a fantastic job with his deliveries too. Of course, they weren't done making GBS threads on the poor man until later on when he was forced into gambling and fell into depression in XIII:LR.

Also, congratulations to NORA for being an inspiration to birth-control.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 2, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RIP Inquisitrix Jennifer
Somebody's daughter.

Thanks Snow.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Didn't Snow's posse fall from a great height due to a giant explosion back in the beginning?

How in the gently caress are they still alive?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Didn't Snow's posse fall from a great height due to a giant explosion back in the beginning?

Magic.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AradoBalanga posted:

Fall damage is really low, this has been shown once and over again. Gameplay and story integration!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Like I postulate in the video that the NORA quad are actually this fire-forged badass elite team that's been running, gunning, and hiding from PSICOM for the past month or however long this plot's been going on. They're hiding it well under their mask of blithe stupidity, but they've had to brutally murder so many PSICOM goons out of self defense and basic survival that they're all robotic PSTD cases, like they just survived the loving Hunger Games or something.

Good mental health is no match for NORA!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In Lightning Returns defence regarding it's treatment of Sazh I liked the resolution to that part. It was cute.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

nine-gear crow posted:

Like I postulate in the video that the NORA quad are actually this fire-forged badass elite team that's been running, gunning, and hiding from PSICOM for the past month or however long this plot's been going on. They're hiding it well under their mask of blithe stupidity, but they've had to brutally murder so many PSICOM goons out of self defense and basic survival that they're all robotic PSTD cases, like they just survived the loving Hunger Games or something.

Good mental health is no match for NORA!

Evidently someone likes the NORA squad since they show up in XIII-2, I've always been indifferent to them myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

Evidently someone likes the NORA squad since they show up in XIII-2, I've always been indifferent to them myself.

Well, half the cast gets punted across time and space, so Serah and Noel have got to talk to someo--haha gently caress me, I can't even finish that sentence.

• Locked thread