Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Fall damage is really low, this has been shown once and over again. Gameplay and story integration!

Hope's mom must've been down to single digit HP from that explosion, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AradoBalanga posted:

Didn't Snow's posse fall from a great height due to a giant explosion back in the beginning?

How in the gently caress are they still alive?

Gadot did say in a joke early on how Snow ran off and left him with the kids, 'some husband'.

Moms are tough.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ramengank posted:

She wasn't a Fal'Cie so she didn't get that benefit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

RareAcumen posted:

She wasn't a Fal'Cie so she didn't get that benefit.

That was way before they got powers, remember that his buddy also survived the fall.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ramengank posted:

We never saw her body. Maybe she survied the fall but got stuck in a pit, where she starved.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think that scene was trying to convey that she died from the explosion, but of course in the video-gamey "the explosion touched her and now she's dead" sense and not "shredded and mangled by shrapnel" because that wouldn't be very fun. Basically nobody dies from falling in this world (and cutscenes are bad at conveying things).

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Artix, will you show off the Cactus boss fight in the future or is it inaccessible at this point in the game?.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Gadot did say in a joke early on how Snow ran off and left him with the kids, 'some husband'.

Moms are tough.

I'm just imagining Gadot trying to be a parental figure to the NOVA kids, while dressed in an apron serving burnt cookies shaped like Snow and Sarah.

How does he keep up his Wayne Static hair?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

uncleKitchener posted:

Artix, will you show off the Cactus boss fight in the future or is it inaccessible at this point in the game?

At this point, any hunts except Tonberry will be shown off in the postgame. That particular one is on my list, but I think he might be out of our reach at the moment because of his damage output. I still have to plan a route for how I'm going to show the postgame stuff, so I'll give it a shot once I start recording again.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Artix posted:

At this point, any hunts except Tonberry will be shown off in the postgame. That particular one is on my list, but I think he might be out of our reach at the moment because of his damage output. I still have to plan a route for how I'm going to show the postgame stuff, so I'll give it a shot once I start recording again.

That's one of the few postgame hunts I actually managed to pull off.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The bulkhead fal'cies would have been the perfect opportunity to include a Demon Wall fight. But this is FF13, the game of squandered potential.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

nine-gear crow posted:

Like I postulate in the video that the NORA quad are actually this fire-forged badass elite team that's been running, gunning, and hiding from PSICOM for the past month or however long this plot's been going on. They're hiding it well under their mask of blithe stupidity, but they've had to brutally murder so many PSICOM goons out of self defense and basic survival that they're all robotic PSTD cases, like they just survived the loving Hunger Games or something.

Good mental health is no match for NORA!

Personally, I'm glad they returned the NORA crew so that they could open a door. Given my first impression of them back at the start of the game, it seems just about the most they could handle without loving up hilariously.

This is why doorhandles are superior to making your doors out of ancient omnipotent entities who want to end the world and can turn you into a superpowered slave at the drop of a hat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Getting turned into a l'Cie by a door would probably be one of the most embarrassing ways to go about the whole thing.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Getting turned into a l'Cie by a door would probably be one of the most embarrassing ways to go about the whole thing.

I imagine every time that happens it boils down to this:

"Knock Knock"
"Whose There?"
"l'Cie"
"l'Cie, who?"
"l'Cie you"

Their Focus is to admit to one person that they fell for that trick. (it's probably what all those Hazard signs are around Eden; "Warning, don't talk to Door Fal'Cie").

Everyone turns into a C'eith. Hell, all those jerks you murdered were probably tricked by the doors.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

nine-gear crow posted:

'Hmmm, my hinge is a bit squeeky. Need some oil.'

Zaps some poor bastard going to work who now has a seizure vision about dinosaurs dying off millions of years ago. Also gets the ability to fry his coworkers with lightning.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
I can understand the game being less then what most people expected it to be, but can your fellow commentators just stop with their constant bitching and complaining? That is literally all your constant English companion seems to think his job is. It is really grating when all I hear is him constantly going on annoying tirades about nothing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
First time visiting the internet, is it?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

cdyoung posted:

I can understand the game being less then what most people expected it to be, but can your fellow commentators just stop with their constant bitching and complaining? That is literally all your constant English companion seems to think his job is. It is really grating when all I hear is him constantly going on annoying tirades about nothing.

There's not a whole lot to say about the game at this stage, the endgame is poo poo, the fights are poo poo, the location, while rather detailed, is utterly pointless because you can't interact with anything, you just keep on marching down the corridors from fight to fight, forever.

The sequels, while far from perfect, at least let you go off the beaten path, hell, there's even proper side quests and hub towns, but this game? Nope, and even I, with a Vanilla avatar, have nothing good to say about the game now, the goodwill I had died at this part of the game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

cdyoung posted:

Frankly, I don't disagree. There's a lot of times I think he's being super nitpicky or going out of his way to complain about stuff but you have to understand, the end of the game is actually, legitimately that bad. None of these fights are particular hard, but they do enough damage to necessitate relatively frequent healing, and because of that they just take a while to actually get through. For every fight that I skip, you can mentally add two or three minutes to the video. We're back in the tube, so any semblance of interaction with the environment or illusion of exploration is long gone (which is a shame because Eden would have been a great place to let you find your own route around the city and there could be a thing like where stronger enemies hide treasure or let you take a shorter route), and that's before we start talking about how the plot is going completely to poo poo (and it gets worse! Lord does it get worse). And frankly, everything (including fights and area design) is going to get even worse next chapter.

Now, if you're talking about the rest of the game, there's not a lot I can say. FF13 has its high points and its low points, and I think we did a pretty good job of giving the game praise where it deserved it. If you disagree, then the best advice I can give you is to just check out for 13-2 because while I'll try to give it a fair shake (which is ostensibly what we were trying to do here, the success of that is left as an exercise to the viewer) neither of us like it, the plot makes 13 look like Shakespeare's finest work, and just in general there's going to be a lot more bitching from both of us. The LP is what it is, and I'm sorry if you didn't enjoy it but for what it's worth, the postgame videos will be back to things that FF13 is actually good at, rather than its clumsy attempts to tell a story.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
In the few towns you visit in the game, your party has fewer discussions with its people than Gordon Freeman, and he tries to avoid talking to all these people.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I'll agree that sometimes the commentators seem to be reaching for things to complain about, but having already watched the porklift/wateyad playthrough (oh god why have I watched two complete FFXIII LPs?), I can appreciate that there really just isn't much left to say about this trainwreck. If I haven't said it yet, kudos Artix, on a job well done making Final Fantasy XIII about as watchable as it's going to get.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I've followed the LP from the start and enjoyed every video. It has presented the game very well and made me regretful there isn't a better game using this game's battle system, because I'm sure as hell never going to play this. But I must say I do occasionally get tired of Fedule's deluges of overwhelming negativity. Most of the time he has interesting things to say about near misses or stupid mistakes in the game's design, but I feel he also frequently complains just for the sake of complaining about Final Fantasy XIII. Not that I don't understand, after watching this LP.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 45: Pride Before the Fall (Polsy) :siren:

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

Misjudged Benevolence

When the blinding flash of light fades, where there were soldiers now stand mindless Cie'th. With no Focus to complete, their souls are stripped from them at the instant of their transformation. Thus do the fal'Cie dispose of humans whose usefulness has ended.

Rosch, the sole survivor, defends the Sanctum army and their obedience to fal'Cie law. Even though he harbors doubts as to the fal'Cie's true intentions, the peace and harmony of Cocoon cannot be upheld without them.

It is his desire to protect the stability of society that allows him to commit atrocities such as the Purge. The end justifies the means.

Realizing his error in judgment, the PSICOM director still cannot change what is done. The only remaining path is to live his final moments as he has tried to live his life - in the service of Cocoon.

The conflict among the people is coming to an end, but the danger to Cocoon is not over. Not until Barthandelus and his schemes are defeated.

quote:

People: Yaag Rosch

Yaag Rosch is a PSICOM officer who graduated with results second only to his fellow trainee, Jihl Nabaat.

His leadership skills shown in joint missions with the Guardian Corps earn him the command of the anti-l'Cie operations in Palumpolum.

Despite feeling doubt over the fate of innocents during the Purge, Rosch views the brutal and thankless task of maintaining the overall stability of society to be a soldier's sworn duty.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
My impression was that the "grenade" was actually a self-destruct remote for the Proudclad. In that case, he could have thrown it, but it wouldn't have accomplished anything.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Nidoking posted:

My impression was that the "grenade" was actually a self-destruct remote for the Proudclad. In that case, he could have thrown it, but it wouldn't have accomplished anything.

Yeah, I thought the same thing too.

But it's interesting that Rosch never returns in any of the sequels. Maybe the devs didn't like the character?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So I take it those guys that were turned into C'ieth weren't actually the Cavalry? Rosch goes "what about my men?" and then they all look around awkwardly at the C'ieth corpses, and he goes "oh."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow: "Incoming message from the big giant head!"

*silence*

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

So I take it those guys that were turned into C'ieth weren't actually the Cavalry? Rosch goes "what about my men?" and then they all look around awkwardly at the C'ieth corpses, and he goes "oh."

I think those were Rygdea's Cavalry troops who were C'ieth'd (though not Rygdea himself, interestingly enough. He turns up in XIII-2). Yaag's just there because... boss fight? :shrug:

Blind Sally posted:

nine-gear crow: "Incoming message from the big giant head!"

*silence*

Yes, thank you for pointing that out. :mad: What do I keep you around for again?

ALSO: He's a BIG GIANT HEAD (in both his forms!), what else could you say in that context? :colbert:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 5, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I understood the grenade as being...well, a grenade. He had no way to throw it, with how wounded he was, he had no strength in his body, and before he could do anything he had both Behemoths right on his face anyways. Admittedly, the self-destruct switch makes sense too.

Must've been one hell of a grenade/self-destruct bomb if it one-shot both though. You could do with that kind of move! Imagine the numbers that appeared once Rosch used that!

Also the fal'Cie turned those men into Ci'eth by making them l'Cie but without any Focus, so they'd turn immediatly. That's...actually pretty clever! It makes sense in context and is just evil yet pragmatic enough to accept. Sure would be nice if the game told you this, instead of having to check the Datalog, but still, that's actually good!

Rosch telling his men to save people and then deciding that it isn't an order is much less so. Makes him sound like he didn't give the slightest of a gently caress about the actual people of Coccoon, and just said that because...I dunno, I have no idea, stupid writing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I imagine the Adamantoise is continually falling through the floors until he hits Pulse.
The Sacrifice's have half of the human face of those who turned, sticking out their chest.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, the guys that got Cie'th'd were Rosch's boys, you can see that they were the same kind of Sanctum soldiers we were fighting earlier in the cutscene where they turn. Don't worry, we'll see the Cavalry soon enough.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

Don't worry, we'll see the Cavalry soon enough.

You're an evil man, Artix. :devil:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If you want a game where your party is constantly underpowered, one death is basically a game over, and end game enemies are casting AoE death spells for around 30+ encounters, you can try Dragon Warrior 2. That was only a NES game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There'll be another bonus update going up tomorrow, since we haven't recorded Chapter 13 yet. You can also go check out Crow's Prince of Persia 2008 LP featuring yours truly if that tickles your fancy.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 46: A Haerii Situation (Polsy) :siren:

Bestiary

Artix fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 7, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I like and also hate that Tonberries have an MMO style Soft Enrage feature in that they steadily grow stronger and stronger and will eventually just kill you.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Tonberry fights in XIII and XIII-2 are so much fun. Spent HOURS fighting him in XIII-2 for a very specific reason.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Syphax was a King of a Numidian tribe in North Africa.

This undying's gimmick here isn't really relevant to the person, as in his final, and most notable, battle before being captured his Army threatened desertion when being pursued by the Romans, so to boost morale he charged at the forefront of his army.
At which point his wounded horse kicked him off and he was promptly captured by the Roman forces where he died in Prison.

His army then retreated shortly after.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Technically, the name of that "city" also shows up in the hunting assignment.

At least that guy died kind of happy.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It's also on the Map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Doesn't the amount your weapons are customized affect target times to a degree? Assuming Artix hasn't been doing any kind of customizing off screen or something game might be assuming that since you're using weapons of base power and level or whatever and it might be basing target times a bit off of that? I know it's possible to kind of render 5 stars hopelessly hard to get if you upgrade your equipment enough to where the game expects you to be killing dudes in the opening move but your stats aren't quite to the job so you don't do it and it tanks your rating.

It's a good way to get varoius Sols though :v:

• Locked thread