Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Fair enough! I don't think I've ever actually read the notes to any of the monsters in 13-2, I usually just check HP/resistances and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Gilgamesh becomes even more bullshit as you deal damage to him. After the first million or so (that sticks past his bullshit regen gimmick), he starts using three swords at a time, and uses those stagger only attacks even when he isn't staggered. He also picks up Cross Blitz, which hits your entire party for not-inconsequential damage.
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE.
At half health, he picks up permanent Haste, starts swinging all six swords as his attack pattern, and gains Divider, his Feral Link, which has a very real chance of OHKOing your entire party if you haven't been liberal with those Wound Potions and full heals.

The insult to injury is that he isn't even that good as a Commando, since several of his attacks per full ATB will be Excalipoor, for a grand total of 1 damage each.

Valfodr gets pretty bullshit as well. The furthest I ever got was Lv 70, where he summons Chichus, which are monstrously fast and strong.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised that the colosseum is mostly interesting. Shame that Gilgamesh is so awful. I almost regret not doing the colloseum DLC now. Still, least I never had to deal with this:

The_Final_Stand posted:

Valfodr gets pretty bullshit as well. The furthest I ever got was Lv 70, where he summons Chichus, which are monstrously fast and strong.

On a separate note, quick question (possible monster spoilers):

I know he hasn't been used in the active post game party but did the LP ever show Chichu off? I honestly can't remember.

Asparagus32
Aug 16, 2015

Nyeehg posted:

On a separate note, quick question (possible monster spoilers):

I know he hasn't been used in the active post game party but did the LP ever show Chichu off? I honestly can't remember.

I don't think he did. If I remember correctly, Artix stated at some point that he wouldn't go too crazy with monster builds. And the monster in question requires quite a bit of building effort if you want to show it off in all its gamebreaking glory.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
I'm pretty sure that particular monster is pretty powerful even without massive amounts of effort. It's got the highest strength in the game, and it attacks really quickly. The only weakness is that it can't attack Launched enemies, so it has to fall back on its poor Magic stat and spam Ruin much more slowly.

Conveniently, Gilgamesh and Valfodr cannot be launched, so use him to your heart's content on those guys.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So, I got this weird message about a week ago, and then suddenly a gig-and-a-half's worth of footage appeared in my shared LP Dropbox folder:

So yeah. Artix gave up. Blind Sally and I will be finishing XIII-2 for you. Enjoy.

:siren:Update 49: Final Fantasy XIII-2: Prepare to Die Edition (Polsy):siren:

Bregor posted:

#FreeCrow

Blind Sally posted:

#DontFreeCrow

:getin:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 27, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I want to say I'm surprised by this turn of events but let's be honest this has been a long time coming.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You know, I was going to congratulate you on actually doing it, but I think the other response was much better. :allears:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
#FreeCrow

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Bregor posted:

#FreeCrow

#DontFreeCrow

nine-gear crow posted:

So, I got this weird message about a week ago, and then suddenly a gig-and-a-half's worth of footage appeared in my shared LP Dropbox folder:

So yeah. Artix gave up. Blind Sally and I will be finishing XIII-2 for you. Enjoy.

:siren:Update 49: Final Fantasy XIII-2: Prepare to Die Edition (Polsy):siren:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Artix posted:

You know, I was going to congratulate you on actually doing it, but I think the other response was much better. :allears:

The probation was beautiful enough, but the wonderful, deliberate irony in it's stated reason made it a work of art.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So... the entire DLC was to just grind by dying in the same battle over and over again until you level up enough to win? Really?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The best possible ending to this LP.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Schwartzcough posted:

So... the entire DLC was to just grind by dying in the same battle over and over again until you level up enough to win? Really?
It makes the training segment in BoF3 look fun by comparison.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm just wondering how the idea came up in planning meetings. Someone had to have proposed it in a more glamorous light than, "Hey guys, you know what's fun? Losing. Repeatedly. Let's make the players do that!"

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I hope no one actually thought that we came within inches of the finish line and said "Nah, gently caress it. Not worth it, burn the whole thing down."

:siren: Update 50: Please Buy Lightning Returns (Polsy) :siren:

And with that, we're done! Fedule and I both agree that we want to use the PC version of LR if at all possible, so there's probably going to be quite a bit of downtime between this LP and that one. Of course, that assumes that the PC port ever actually comes out, but if not we'll cross that bridge when we get there. So, for better or worse, this has been Final Fantasy XIII-2. Thank you to everyone who followed along, no matter capacity it was in, and we'll see you in whatever comes next!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Artix posted:

I hope no one actually thought that we came within inches of the finish line and said "Nah, gently caress it. Not worth it, burn the whole thing down."

I assumed it was a ploy to give justification to probate Blind Sally and nine-MetalGear Crow. Because it's fun.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Don't just watch one version after the other, watch them both simultaneously! :getin:

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Good job, guys. I certainly had my doubts that you two would see this through. How do you feel about the lps in retrospect?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Discounting the DLC bosses, the regular bosses were rather well paced if not a bit short.

Looking forward to the climactic battle of Garage and his bounty hunter twin.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm just wondering how the idea came up in planning meetings. Someone had to have proposed it in a more glamorous light than, "Hey guys, you know what's fun? Losing. Repeatedly. Let's make the players do that!"

I'm gonna take a guess and assume the pitch was more along the lines of:

Guy 1: "Whoa, you guys, I just had this thought: so like, Lightning is dead, right? And she's like in Valhalla, or whatever, so she's, like, you know, living in warrior heaven, I think, but only it's not heaven, it's more like a hell. Yeah, so, like, this eternal nightmare has her forced to do battle with Caius, the ultimate badass, over and over again. Cause, see, she's not powerful enough to beat the ultimate badass. So, like, she dies. But, now bear with me, since she's already dead, she doesn't really die. Whoa, I know, right? You all just got chills."
Everyone else: *blank stares*
Guy 1: "Okay, okay, okay, so now get this: Lightning dies and, since she is already dead, has no where to go, so she just gets booted back into Valhalla. Well, poo poo, Caius is still there. So she has to battle him again. Only, and this is the crazy part, so prepare to have your minds blown: she has all the EXP she got from the last battle! I know, right?! Total "whoa" moment! Cause, see, it's not like a normal game over where she's dead, but because she's being forever reincarnated in Valhalla, she's not really dying. Instead, it's the ultimate existential nightmare because she has to fight this eternal Sisyphean battle again and again, forever and ever. Like, man, it's like, so deep."
Guy 2: "Uh, okay, so I have a question--"
Guy 1: "Before you say anything, listen to my ending: so eventually Lightning gathers enough EXP from her past "lives" to level up and become strong enough to defeat Caius, breaking the cycle and freeing herself and Hope from eternal damnation in hell via forever fighting Caius."
Everyone else: *silence*
Guy 2: "Are you on any new medication or something?"
Guy 1: "Oh, yeah, I just mainlined a bunch of heroin."
Guy 2: "Uh, yeah, sure, gently caress it, let's do it. Someone pass these notes down to the people in development."

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Artix posted:

And with that, we're done!

Well done, you survived! And you better be back, even if LR never comes out on PC. You can't just not do the only good one in the series.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

There's one way to make this DLC fun. Do it absolutely first. Coast on the 'Monster' Lightning you get as a reward.

And by first, I don't mean as the first DLC, I mean as the first thing you do in the game once you access the timestream.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Ryushikaze posted:

There's one way to make this DLC fun. Do it absolutely first. Coast on the 'Monster' Lightning you get as a reward.

And by first, I don't mean as the first DLC, I mean as the first thing you do in the game once you access the timestream.

Well that's more making fun out of the reward of the not fun DLC. Although going through the game watching everyone get all excited about their quest to find lightning, while fighting aside lightning, sounds hilarious.

I bet I know how that idea got approved for sale though. Think about how freakin' cheap it must have been to make. There's only two fights and the system itself is mostly just numbers tweaks on stuff that already existed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Artix didn't want me to post this, but the LP's over, so gently caress him!

:siren:Update 49A: Everyone Is Jesus Now (Paradox Commentary) (Polsy) :siren:

Rome has fallen. The Emperor is dead. The barbarians have invaded. The Dark Age has begun. nine-gear crow hosts a "Let's Burn Down Final Fantasy XIII-2" party and everyone's invited.

Watch all three versions and decide for yourself once and for all Whose Version Was Best Of All Time?

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Artix didn't want me to post this, but the LP's over, so gently caress him!

:siren:Update 49A: Everyone Is Jesus Now (Paradox Commentary) (Polsy) :siren:

Rome has fallen. The Emperor is dead. The barbarians have invaded. The Dark Age has begun. nine-gear crow hosts a "Let's Burn Down Final Fantasy XIII-2" party and everyone's invited.

Watch all three versions and decide for yourself once and for all Whose Version Was Best Of All Time?

I regret everything

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
So unless I missed something, this thread now has three videos of the Lightning DLC but zero of the 160 Fragment Secret Ending.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So we did not. You can watch it yourself here (not mine, just the first one with decent quality I could find), and it's only the first minute and change. I have no idea what the back half of that video is, presumably it plays when you start the game after getting the 100% ending?

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

:toxx:?

poorlywrittennovel fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 19, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

:toxx:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alright. If I don't LP Lightning Returns before Artix does, Novel gets Perma'd. :getin:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Here comes the fun
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/19/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-to-release-around-december-for-pc/

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Fedule better hurry up that Virtue's Last Reward LP then, if he doesn't want to have two LPs running at once.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

AweStriker posted:

Fedule better hurry up that Virtue's Last Reward LP then, if he doesn't want to have two LPs running at once.

I'm not quite certain if VLR LP can currently be described as "running".

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
http://www.twitch.tv/georgiavanc/

Vanille's VA playing FFXIII for the first time for charity.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh god she even sounds like Vanille in general conversation. She is way too excited for this. :magical:

E: Hearing Vanille swear out of panic is pretty hilarious, not gonna lie.

Artix fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

Oh god she even sounds like Vanille in general conversation. She is way too excited for this. :magical:

E: Hearing Vanille swear out of panic is pretty hilarious, not gonna lie.

It's becoming increasingly apparent as the stream continues that she actually is Vanille. It's actually kinda great :allears:

EDIT: https://youtu.be/_6lcXI-nm2s?t=14m18s ...Just sayin'

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 7, 2015

• Locked thread