Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Wild Knight posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's some sort of proprietary in-house font they call Eurostile Fantasy XIII.

Basically what I'm saying is you probably need to kidnap a Square exec to find this out.

I imagine that'd be the first of many FFXIII-related questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh god what am I doing with my life send help

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Artix posted:

Somewhere in a darkened TV room, The Dark Id sits at a table lit by a single bare bulb. Before him, a copy of Drakengard 3 and a pistol.

Only one can kill him and he's not certain which one it is.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I see a flower for an eye, a completely impractical outfit and weapon, blood, boobs, and a dragon.

Yep, that's a JRPG in a nutshell on the cover.

The music for them can be pretty good, though, so picking up the soundtrack generally isn't so bad.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Artix posted:

Welcome, brother. Do not worry, the pain is rather exquisite, once you accept it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Flytrap posted:

Welcome, brother. Do not worry, the pain is rather exquisite, once you accept it.

I'm on Branch C, Verse 4. I am not worthy to know the true pain of Branch D.

yet

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So is that game kind of like the new Neir? In that it's actually worth the play simply for the story and other cool things it does? Because as much as i loved the other LP's of Drakengaurd i don't know if i would want to subject myself to that kind of tedium.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Artix posted:

I'm on Branch C, Verse 4. I am not worthy to know the true pain of Branch D.

yet

Give yourself unto the power of Song :unsmigghh:

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So is that game kind of like the new Neir?

Yes, and no. The gameplay isn't too bad, it's more in-line with the first two Drakengards being a Dynasty Warriors clone, combat-wise and in the level design (none of Nier "open-world" travel stuff, if it could be called that). You can change up the attacks by switching to any one of four weapon types in a combo, and there's slightly more depth than in Nier.

That said the game has bad performance issues; massive framrate drops, screen tearing, and lots of loading. Story-wise, it's okay; it has some :stare: moments, and it's pretty funny at times, but Nier has more consistancy, and better characterisation. The music is pretty great - like Nier, the music is layered, with a vocal track kicking in when the player activates a super-mode.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 4, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Apparently Operation Nora's first phase consisted of yelling and running about ten feet.

Baby steps, Hope.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Wait, what's this?

Oh god it keeps happening :shepface:
if I said that I got it just so that I would have it for the LP, I would only be half lying

In other news, Chapter 6 is completely recorded and I'm working on Chapter 7, but Fedule has made himself scarce and I haven't been able to get in touch with him. If I don't hear anything from him in a couple days, I might just grab someone and record the next couple videos because they've been sitting in the dropbox for about a week and a half now and I'd really like to get things moving again.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

:ohdear: Oh dear, has Fedule stepped into a Rainbow, found another view and disappeared?

Also, I kinda want to record the 3DS FF Music game's version of that song for the thread somehow.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

SystemLogoff posted:

Also, I kinda want to record the 3DS FF Music game's version of that song for the thread somehow.
If it's just the audio you need, you can record that from a 3DS by plugging a normal 3.5mm audio cable into the headphone jack and the other end into a PC. But if you need video too, that's obviously not as easy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

Wait, what's this?

Oh god it keeps happening :shepface:

The same thing happened to me with White Knight Chronicles. All of the sudden the Japanese version appeared out of nowhere in front of me.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Ditto Folklore. I posted about it over in my thread last month. Why are LPs suddenly associated with buying music for the first time since the 70s?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Alright, so until I can get in touch with Fedule and figure out what's going on here, I'm going to go ahead and lock the thread. I'll be back with an update one way or the other, but I'm not going to promise when that will be. Sorry guys!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well I did say I would be back with an update, so here you go. The full update with the datalogs, etc, isn't quite ready, but I'll do the proper update post in the morning or something.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Fantastic.

(Also, are you aware of the Repeat command?)

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Nice work with the subtitles. Fancy. :thumbsup:

Those Flandragora remind me of DQVIII enemies, only not cutesy. But that scalebeast... That was pretty ridiculous. I'm going to agree with Artix; you have to outright tell people if you're not supposed to fight something in this type of game. The usual RPG player won't even consider that possibility unless, say... You could see before engaging them that they were level 35 enemies standing among a bunch of level 6 fodder, or something of that nature.

Basically, I'm saying that I don't have any faith in the intelligence of your average human being.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this is what level scaling has brought us. Interestingly enough, it used to be only present in J"RPG"s, there are plenty of instances in say Fallout or Baldur's Gate where you just walk into an area that's clearly over your head.
Of course, FF is linear so putting it there makes no sense at all, even if J"RPG" players weren't drilled by years of being spoonfed beatable encounters for the entire games.

edit: Basically, level scaling makes you dumb.
edit2: VVV The vocals? Because I found that pretty terrible.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 21, 2014

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Okay, two things.

First, that music is beautiful.

Second, we need a gif of the chocobo drilling into Sazh's skull entering his 'fro when he's laying down.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Except for the one watching over the two treasure chests, there is zero reason to fight even a single scalebeast. No amount of CP reward could be worth it. It's not even hard - it's just disgustingly tedious.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
The music is 10/10 but the lack of singalong isn't.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Simply Simon posted:

Except for the one watching over the two treasure chests, there is zero reason to fight even a single scalebeast. No amount of CP reward could be worth it. It's not even hard - it's just disgustingly tedious.

But the datalog entry!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

SC Bracer posted:

The music is 10/10 but the lack of singalong isn't.

I told Artix not to mute me but he insisted. Honestly, it's probably for the best now that I think about it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I was half-expecting Artix to not cut any of the Scalethings fights, entirely because of "if I had to suffer this, you will too". Thanks for not being that evil, Artix. That looked tedious as hell. Random fights should not be that long. I really don't like the XIII style of fodder fights.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I was half-expecting Artix to not cut any of the Scalethings fights, entirely because of "if I had to suffer this, you will too". Thanks for not being that evil, Artix. That looked tedious as hell. Random fights should not be that long. I really don't like the XIII style of fodder fights.

As tempting as it was, the goal of the LP is to make FF13 into something watchable, not put viewers to sleep. Of course If I had, you might have seen me be mildly competent at the game; once I figured out that I really should just focus on landing poison/deprotect/deshell during the first stagger and let things take care of themselves, I got the time down to about 2:00. Which, to be fair, is still unacceptably long, but Scalebeasts are more appropriate for Chapter 9 or 10 enemies to begin with so killing one in ~2:00 with one of the worst two-man parties was good enough for my book.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Besides, if Artix wants to put us to sleep he can just post the raw footage of Death spamming Neochu.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 15: Step Into the Rainbow (Polsy) :siren:

Music

The Sunleth Waterscape

quote:

English

Step into the rainbow, found another view
Chase the heights of light, soar beyond your sorrows
Dance among the colors, listen to the trees
Close your eyes and see the noon
Dawn of the new day
Clears all the gloom away
This is the part that we need to move on

Dawn of the new day
Clears all the gloom away
This is the part that we need to move on

Japanese

Step into the rainbow, find another view
Chase the tender light, borders let's cross over
Ready to define the mists inside your heart?
Take a breath and start your life
Waves of a new day
Clear all the gloom away
Hope is what we simply need to proceed

Waves of a new day
Clear all the gloom away
Hope is what we simply need to proceed

I don't know why they changed the lyrics for the English version, but you're probably more familiar with the JP lyrics since Square has used that version in pretty much everything since release, most notably in Theatrhythm and Curtain Call

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

Sun-dappled Flight

As they flee with no particular destination in mind, Sazh and Vanille spot warships passing overhead. The military craft appear to be flying in the direction of Palumpolum. Lightning and Hope were heading towards that city...

Could the army have found them?

Though Sazh is worried for his former companions' safety, he knows that any attempt to rescue them from Sanctum troops would be suicide. Still, they can't just walk away—can they?

Sensing Sazh's uncertainty, Vanille swiftly agrees that there isn't much they can do, and suggests they run. Reasoning that it would be best to put as much distance between themselves and the army as possible, she suggests heading in the opposite direction — towards the city of Nautilus.

And so Vanille skips off through the dappled shade of the Sunleth Waterscape, only too eager to put danger behind them once more.

quote:

A Wish for Daddy

Sazh and Vanille make their way through the Sunleth Waterscape, trying to distance themselves from the Sanctum forces assembling in the city of Palumpolum.

Vanille's offhand question about family fills Sazh's head with memories of his son, Dajh...

As fireworks illuminated the night sky with brilliant color, Dajh had made a wish out of concern for his dad. Touched by the insight of his little boy, Sazh smiled, pretending to be cheerful — but all the while an unbearable pain gnawed at his soul.

This pain plagues him even now. But what is the reason for Sazh's misery? And who is the enigmatic woman with a more than passing interest in the boy and his father?

quote:

Locales: The Sunleth Waterscape

Off-limits to civilians, this unusual nature reservation is often visited by Sanctum officials engaged in ecological field studies. Research into the local ecosystem is conducted via climate-control mechanisms installed in the area. These mechanisms provide direct access to the fal'Cie in charge of manipulating weather conditions.

Artix fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 14, 2015

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Nidoking posted:

I told Artix not to mute me but he insisted. Honestly, it's probably for the best now that I think about it.

You need to show Artix that one video in your Rayman LP where you sing...i totally forget which one it was but i quite enjoyed it so you stepping into the rainbow would have been fantastic :colbert:

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
Have a extra video with his singing.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Looking at the monster weaknesses and resistances, it looks like fire is the go-to element for this area.

Which is fitting, considering you're in the middle of a forest with plant creatures and such.

EDIT: For some reason, TinDeck doesn't want me to be able to download your upload, Artix. It will let me try to download ANY other music file. Just not yours. And your upload is the highest quality version of this song I can find ANYWHERE.

Shei-kun fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 22, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alright I'll ask the burning question that should be on everyone's mind: Is the Chocobo also a l'Cie??

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Shei-kun posted:

EDIT: For some reason, TinDeck doesn't want me to be able to download your upload, Artix. It will let me try to download ANY other music file. Just not yours. And your upload is the highest quality version of this song I can find ANYWHERE.

That's because:
A) I specifically have downloading not allowed. Not my rules, blame Geop.
B) I have it ripped straight from the soundtrack CD as a super high-quality MP3.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Regy Rusty posted:

Alright I'll ask the burning question that should be on everyone's mind: Is the Chocobo also a l'Cie??

No.
But...

Well just you wait.

Just you loving wait because it's going to be stupid.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

No.
But...

Well just you wait.

What I'm getting from this is that it's a tiny feathery fal'Cie. Which would be... something.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Quantum Toast posted:

What I'm getting from this is that it's a tiny feathery fal'Cie. Which would be... something.

Well by wait I mean it doesn't resolve or even appear until 13-2.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

No.
But...

Well just you wait.

Ha.
Haha
Hahahahaha!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Artix posted:

That's because:
A) I specifically have downloading not allowed. Not my rules, blame Geop.
B) I have it ripped straight from the soundtrack CD as a super high-quality MP3.
I figured it was something like that. Makes sense to do that, too.

I was mostly confused because I saw the number of downloads counter keep increasing when I refreshed the link.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I'd say I called the singalong, or the karaoke-style lyrics at least, but...well, it was pretty obvious, especially once Fedule asked about fonts, so. Yeah. Really great work with the subtitles! And I'd also like to second a request for a bonus video of Nidoking singing.

I'm pretty sure Bravely Default is Squarenix's way of saying "we're sorry for how convoluted FF13 got, here's an alternate universe where we expanded on what makes a Final Fantasy a Final Fantasy while not actually naming it Final Fantasy."... If that makes sense? It probably doesn't make sense.

I remember being able to fight those scalebeasts pretty easily, it's just tedious as hell. But I mean, they still follow the basic pattern of "build and maintain stagger then fire everything once it breaks," though Saboteur speeds that up. I guess what I'm saying is I don't really see the need for that full-screen tutorial? Especially since, as Fedule mentioned, there's a later enemy that teaches you that lesson very naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Shei-kun posted:

I figured it was something like that. Makes sense to do that, too.

I was mostly confused because I saw the number of downloads counter keep increasing when I refreshed the link.

Downloads tracks views, not actual downloads, for reasons ill never fully understand.

• Locked thread