Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 17: Director Rosch Vows to Personally End Pulse Menace (Polsy) :siren:

Music

PSICOM
To Hunt L'Cie

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

The Capital of Commerce

With events spiraling out of control, the Sanctum army mobilizes all of its forces under its command in an attempt to apprehend the Pulse l'Cie thereby preventing Cocoon from descending into chaos. Prioritizing its mission over its reputation, PSICOM accordingly enlists the aid of the Guardian Corps soldiers.

Under the general command of Colonel Rosch, units of troops occupy positions across Palumpolum in anticipation of a l'Cie attack.

Originally planning to take the Eden-bound train from inside the city, Lightning is now having second thoughts. She can't help but feel concern when she sees the rage-fueled Hope throwing himself into battle. It doesn't help that it was Lightning herself who inadvertently encouraged him to concentrate on his goal of revenge in the first place.

And that goal is what drives him now. He must complete Operation Nora, and make Snow and the Sanctum pay for the death of his mother. But who can say how much time remains for a l'Cie who ignores his Focus?

Ignorant of her worries, Hope leads Lightning to an underground complex that will allow them to sneak past the Guardian Corps troops and into the city.

quote:

Under Their Noses

Under the command of Colonel Rosch, PSICOM and the Guardian Corps occupy positions across Palumpolum in anticipation of a l'Cie attack.

In order to avoid the increased security, Lightning and Hope travel through an underground complex that reaches far beneath the city. If they can enter the town undetected, they should be able to find a way to reach Eden — the capital that lies at the heart of Cocoon.

Hope hurries onwards, eager to continue Operation Nora, and exact revenge on Snow and the Sanctum.

Yet l'Cie who fail to complete their Focus become Cie'th. It's uncertain when the exact moment of transformation will come, but time is not on their side. Even though there may be no light at the end of the tunnel, they have no choice but to keep trudging along in the dark.

Hope's grim determination is a source of pain for Lightning. Her attempt at giving him a reason to survive has backfired, fanning the flames of his hatred and setting him on the path to a deadly confrontation.

He is her responsibility. She has to protect him.

quote:

No Way to Live

The Sanctum fal'Cie treat the people of Cocoon like pets. Upon realizing this fact, Lightning comes to understand herself. Since the moment she was born, she was raised under fal'Cie care. Sheltered and protected, she never realized how much she depended on them. But after becoming a Pulse l'Cie, she is removed from that protection.

And like a child separated from her mother, she wanders in confusion and doubt. Added to the anxiety of being a fugitive, the grief of losing Serah, and her rage at an unjust fate, Lightning finds herself on the brink of blackest despair.

It is all so clear now. Thinking of a future without hope would be too much to bear, so she made the Sanctum her enemy and sought to lose herself in mindless combat. But it was all just a way to avoid facing reality.

And now she's got Hope doing the same.

If he loses himself in revenge, he may gain temporary respite from the horror of his predicament — but it will solve nothing.

Overcome by guilt, Lightning tells Hope to abandon Operation Nora, much to the boy's disbelief. If he gives up on revenge, what else is there to live for?

The two l'Cie have much to think about...

quote:

People: Yaag Rosch

Yaag Rosch is a PSICOM officer who graduated with results second only to his fellow trainee, Jihl Nabaat.

After proving his leadership in joint missions with the Guardian Corps, his extensive battle experience earned him an early promotion to the rank of colonel.

Assigned command of the anti-l'Cie operations in Palumpolum, Rosch ignores branch rivalries when he requests Guardian Corps cooperation. His only concern is maximizing their efforts to eliminate the l'Cie.

quote:

Locales: Palumpolum

Hope's hometown, Palumpolum is one of the biggest cities in Cocoon. Retail stores line the streets - a rarity in a society where online purchases are the norm.

With the goal of promoting their 'hands-on' approach to commerce as a tourist attraction, the local government actively encourages businesses to set up shop in Palumpolum.

quote:

The Fal'Cie: Carbuncle

Carbuncle is a Sanctum fal'Cie charged with food production. Stationed in Palumpolum's subterranean nutriculture complex, this fal'Cie oversees a process of ultra-efficient hydroponic farming employing mobile paddies and careful regulation of light and water.

A parallel process within the facility generates raw protein to supplement the vegetable foodstuffs produced.

Artix fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
A FAL'CIE CHOOSES, A L'CIE OBEYS

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I had completely forgotten about Roscherioth's existence in this game. Can somebody clue me in if he ever does anything relevant because I seriously don't remember?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
He does a few things near the end of the game, but he's fairly forgettable even then.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm pretty sure I skipped every cutscene in the game yet I still remember that Carbunkle scene. It's hilarious and seems completely out of left field. "Wait a sec the Gods that cursed me and my sister and control our very way of life, don't care about us and control our very way of life. What a revelation!!!!" And then Hope has an existential crisis about abandoning their stupid suicidal revenge mission, that will inevitably accomplish absolutely nothing. It's pretty funny.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I still don't understand why Fedule finds these characters so distasteful. Especially Snow. :shrug: Bearing in mind that we've already past the point where I know anything about this set of games, I haven't seen Snow do anything too bad.

I mean, staying behind to dig up Serah is easily chalked up to "he's in love". You do stupid things when you're in love, as no shortage of books and TV shows demonstrate. And despite Hope's whining, it's not like he held a gun to Nora's head and made her fight.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The part where Lightning has her mind blown is so weird to see. It's literally about the most emotion she ever shows in this series until her own game 2 games from now!

Lightning in Lightning Returns is pretty great though, at least in the sidequests.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Yapping Eevee posted:

I still don't understand why Fedule finds these characters so distasteful. Especially Snow. :shrug: Bearing in mind that we've already past the point where I know anything about this set of games, I haven't seen Snow do anything too bad.
I don't mind Snow either. Probably on the account of him being the only character the plot actually calls out on his stupidity - the Lightning-punching-Snow scene did more for his character than his entire backstory so far.

That being said, Vanille, Lightning and Hope are just insufferable.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Artix posted:

The Fal'Cie: Carbuncle

Carbuncle is a Sanctum fal'Cie charged with food production. Stationed in Palumpolum's subterranean nutriculture complex, this fal'Cie oversees a process of ultra-efficient hydroponic farming employing mobile paddies and careful regulation of light and water.

A parallel process within the facility generates raw protein to supplement the vegetable foodstuffs produced.

See, Artix? This isn't a sewer level after all! It's actually a below-ground farm. Which makes the floating platforms the growing pods, I guess.

To be fair though, when I first played the game, and, in fact, when I signed on to do the commentary, I thought it was just a needlessly complicated sewer as well. Guess that makes my comments about the datalogs seem rather asinine, doesn't it?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Obviously the Corps Pacifex are weak to lightning because they carry lightning rods.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
According to one of the datalogs, there apparently used to be a factory that manufactured padded brassieres in Palumpolum. It shut down because of poor sales. It seems that no one in Cocoon likes Fal’cie’s.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

According to one of the datalogs, there apparently used to be a factory that manufactured padded brassieres in Palumpolum. It shut down because of poor sales. It seems that no one in Cocoon likes Fal’cie’s.
Well played.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

If you were worried about the commentary, it was more than fine. 9-chat was particularly entertaining.

Lightning's done a little bit too good of a job channeling Arya's Hope's anger, I'm sure it will be a slow burn before we see anything come out of it. A slow, slow, SLOW burn given the speed of this game's plot.

For such a pretty game it sure is lacking in pretty, mindblowing bosses. We fought Anima back in Chapter 2, I guess? And that was pretty much with the training wheels still on. At this point in other games in the series we've already thrown down with an Elemental Fiend, Gilgamesh, Kefka, J.E.N.O.V.A, SOMETHING. At least Chrono Cross was smart enough to have a ton of crazy poo poo happen before the sewer level half the people completely blocked out of their memory because holy poo poo PLOT.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

anilEhilated posted:

I don't mind Snow either. Probably on the account of him being the only character the plot actually calls out on his stupidity - the Lightning-punching-Snow scene did more for his character than his entire backstory so far.

That being said, Vanille, Lightning and Hope are just insufferable.

Snow's kind of great in the 'punch dudes! No consequences!' kind of way, like Barret was in FF7, but as a primary character, his development is not so fantastic.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Blastinus posted:

See, Artix? This isn't a sewer level after all! It's actually a below-ground farm. Which makes the floating platforms the growing pods, I guess.

To be fair though, when I first played the game, and, in fact, when I signed on to do the commentary, I thought it was just a needlessly complicated sewer as well. Guess that makes my comments about the datalogs seem rather asinine, doesn't it?

Ah yes, the underground hydroponic farm which you can only enter through a sewer tunnel and a manhole, and is 99% brown walkways and water. Definitely not a sewer. (It's a loving sewer :ssh:)

I dunno, the major thing I see with Carbuncle and the whole food production thing is that there doesn't seem to be any evidence of it being true aside from maybe the glass platforms (which could easily be handwaved away because this is Final Fantasy XIII and even the sewer needs to be needlessly pretty). For all its talk about producing foodstuffs, there are no plants anywhere and the only evidence that something is being made down there are the occasional boxes you run past. It just stands out to me because for all the other Fal'Cie, we can directly see them doing whatever their job is. Phoenix is very clearly and obviously acting as Cocoon's sun when we fly past it at the end of Chapter 3. If you actually recognized him for the five seconds it was on screen, Kujata is clearly at a geothermal power plant. The only reason to believe that Carbuncle isn't in a sewer is because Square says so.

Bellmaker posted:

For such a pretty game it sure is lacking in pretty, mindblowing bosses. We fought Anima back in Chapter 2, I guess? And that was pretty much with the training wheels still on. At this point in other games in the series we've already thrown down with an Elemental Fiend, Gilgamesh, Kefka, J.E.N.O.V.A, SOMETHING. At least Chrono Cross was smart enough to have a ton of crazy poo poo happen before the sewer level half the people completely blocked out of their memory because holy poo poo PLOT.

This is unfortunately true. Eidolons aside, the game tends to focus on throwing a bunch of smaller bosses at you throughout the course of a chapter instead of a big one at the end. That said, there are some major bosses coming up soon-ish. There's a pretty big boss fight at the end of Chapter 7, we'll meet the main antagonist in Chapter 9, Chapter 10 has a very fun boss fight (if not particular flashy), and once we hit Chapter 11, the game pretty much kicks it into high gear for the rest of the game.

I realize that a major theme of this game tends to be "It gets better later, I swear", but it really does. :shobon:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It isnt really an excuse for 13 though, frontloading bad or boring content is prime cause for people to just drop and forget it and keep it squarely in the scorning section.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It isnt really an excuse for 13 though, frontloading bad or boring content is prime cause for people to just drop and forget it and keep it squarely in the scorning section.

It's kind of funny that this happens given the massive amount of money and effort that went into ensuring that the opening was loud and pretty, and the conventional purpose of in medias res. If our narrative doesn't need to start at the beginning and the game gets interesting later, why not start there?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Microcline posted:

It's kind of funny that this happens given the massive amount of money and effort that went into ensuring that the opening was loud and pretty, and the conventional purpose of in medias res. If our narrative doesn't need to start at the beginning and the game gets interesting later, why not start there?

I don't think anyone would read through 20 hours' worth of datalogs to get the background information for a 5-hour game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

So fun fact, despite having your audio drivers crash and Audacity refuse to pick up on it, Skype will pick up on said mic no problem and cause all kinds of wonderful technical issues.

(thanks PoorlyWrittenNovel)

Artix fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 7, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
This is what you get for involving me in this. All my LPs have hilarious failure as their metanarative, and its bled into your's and Fedule's LP now too.

Although, in all fairness I caught the hardware failure bug from Lazyfire, who caught it from Tin Tim, who in turn picked it up from KalonZombie. You're just the latest victims of it. :v:

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Artix posted:

Beautiful art.

My only regret is not replacing the dot over the I with a heart.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how Lightning and Hope have that confused conversation like five feet away from some Flanitors. I guess they hear all sorts of things.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I-AM-E-MO-TING!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 18: How Many More PSICOM Troops Will Pulse L'Cie Murder Today? (Polsy) :siren:

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

The Weight of Vengeance

Lightning knows that Snow is not Hope's favorite person. But the only way to ensure the boy's escape from the swarm of Sanctum troops is to leave him with the man he despises.

Her mind made up, Lightning shoves Hope at Snow, then charges the enemy soldiers, intending to cut a path through which they can escape. She may have failed to give him hope, but the least she can do is keep him alive — even if it means sacrificing herself.

After appearing out of nowhere with an Eidolon and felling soldiers left and right, Snow explains how the Cavalry picked him up. The rebel brigade is part of the Sanctum army, but it seems they have plans to topple the government with the help of the l'Cie.

Hope, of course, couldn't care less. The man responsible for his mother's death stands right in front of him. Operation Nora might be over, but his rage will not be satisfied by mere words.

As Hope runs through streets sheathed in Shiva's ice, he can feel the shape of the knife Lightning left in his care nestled against his side...

quote:

People: Cid Raines

Cid Raines is the commander of the Wide-area Response Brigade, a military unit otherwise known as the 'Cavalry.'

His vaunted position in the army has afforded him an unobstructed view of the blind obedience the government shows to the fal'Cie. In order to free Cocoon from the tyranny of these powerful entities, Raines has begun enlisting the assistance of Fang and the other Pulse l'Cie.

quote:

Cocoon Society: Palompolum Security Division

As the name implies, this Guardian Corps unit is stationed in the city of Palumpolum. In order to properly patrol the immense Capital of Commerce, the division consists of a large number of troops broken down into many small regiments.

As a force primarily entrusted with maintaining public security, it is not outfitted with heavy combat equipment. However, the division is known for its high morale, and its soldiers were drafted to serve under PSICOM's Colonel Rosch during the l'Cie operations.

Artix fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 14, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Gonna be honest here, I still don't hate Snow anywhere near as much as the rest of the cast (Sazh obviously excluded). There's something charming about going HURR DURR WAR IS DUMB in face of Hope's angst.

Maybe it's the fact that I really dislike Hope and want to see the little poo poo suffer, who knows.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 10, 2014

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
One minute in and I already want to punch whoever wrote this again. It's not even that the story is bad in general, but the minutiae of the dialogue are so absofuckinglutely terrible it's hurting me to listen to it. I'm not even talking about the HOPE GIVES US HOPE nonsense, it's how every line is overwrought AND utter tripe at the same time. I think it takes some serious skill to write hours upon hours of some of the the most stilted, awkward and far too long conversations in Final Fantasy so far without saying anything.

Like, the entire first minute has a single sentence that might be construed as important, which is Hope saying that his father neven listened to him. I think we haven't directly heard that before? We do know that he doesn't like his father, though? Does it really matter that he says one of the reasons out loud now? Would a "you never listened to me!" directed at his father not be far more effective, even a little dramatic (if totally cliché)?

The entire thing could have therefore been excised entirely. Of course, that is true for at the very least 70% of any conversations in the game, and indeed 90% of the game in general, so I guess I'm just reiterating what everyone already knew, bringing nothing new or interesting to the table. You might call this Final Fantasy XIII, the forums post. Part of the Something Awfula Nova Crystalis Universe.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Ha ha ha, the broadcast "we have located the L'Cie!" which plays three seconds before you're surrounded is hilarious.

Wait, I can see SNOW deciding to save Lightning, despite taking a job as a L'Cie hunter, but what the heck is Fang doing helping him? She works for the guys hunting and killing L'Cie, doesn't she? Did I miss a bunch of cutscenes where it was explained what's going on? (And where did she go after the cutscene/Eidolon fight? You can't tell me that she's NOT Party member number 7 SIX.)

EDIT: :downs: I got confused.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 10, 2014

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
As a corollary to the game not taking away your TP with the initial gestalt sequence, it didn't restore it either, and I think for dumb reasons (using Libra on everything until everything was filled out) I didn't have enough TP to resummon Shiva on my playthrough.

The Orion slowly pecked away at me and won the battle of attrition after about ten minutes.

It was probably partly my fault, like I didn't use Sentinel well enough or something, but it really killed the momentum of the whole "Snow rides in on Shiva motorcycle to save the day" adrenaline rush.

Re: FNC talk, maybe I'm making it up but I got the impression when they rebranded Versus XIII as XV they were sort of splitting it off from the failure of Fabulous Neo Crystalism and maybe they were taking away the elements that made it such? Again, I probably made all that up.

Snow is the tallest FF protagonist ever? That seems really weird, like, in a "why did they even bother focusing on that" sort of way. It's probably a symptom of the whole "focusing on creating art assets before actually creating a story" problem the whole XIII series had, though.

I really like how Snow is completely oblivious to Hope angsting about literally stabbing him in the back as he runs through this level. And completely oblivious to how literally everything he says just rubs it in Hope's face.

I am pretty sure there is a dude on Youtube who I was paying attention to when the game first came out who ended up eventually legit Platinuming the game, albeit like two years later in preparation for XIII-2. I think he was also one of the first people to start monetizing off of Twitch ads, though, so I don't think he would've done it if he hadn't had a legion of fans talking poo poo with him in stream chat.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Wait, I can see SNOW deciding to save Lightning, despite taking a job as a L'Cie hunter, but what the heck is Fang doing helping him? She works for the guys hunting and killing L'Cie, doesn't she? Did I miss a bunch of cutscenes where it was explained what's going on? (And where did she go after the cutscene/Eidolon fight? You can't tell me that she's NOT Party member number 7.)

Fang is not party member number 7.

There are only six party members.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I've legit got the platinum trophy for both this game and 13-2. I also like both games, but I prefer this game overall. I regret nothing. :colbert:

I've not played Lightning Returns yet, but it's on Amazon for £22. Is it worth getting at that price?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Ilyich posted:

I've legit got the platinum trophy for both this game and 13-2. I also like both games, but I prefer this game overall. I regret nothing. :colbert:

I've not played Lightning Returns yet, but it's on Amazon for £22. Is it worth getting at that price?

Lightning Returns is Actually Quite Good.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

The entire thing could have therefore been excised entirely. Of course, that is true for at the very least 70% of any conversations in the game, and indeed 90% of the game in general, so I guess I'm just reiterating what everyone already knew, bringing nothing new or interesting to the table. You might call this Final Fantasy XIII, the forums post. Part of the Something Awfula Nova Crystalis Universe.

I still think you need to record these tirades; the contrast of your soothing voice and the frothing at the mouth rage would be enjoyable. Also you'd probably be relegated to DLC in the Trilogy. Stuff people would want (like Ultros and Gilgamesh) but not want enough to encourage Square to make more of this garbage.

Wild Knight posted:

Snow is the tallest FF protagonist ever? That seems really weird, like, in a "why did they even bother focusing on that" sort of way. It's probably a symptom of the whole "focusing on creating art assets before actually creating a story" problem the whole XIII series had, though.

Its strange, Final Fantasy games in the past were filled with trite things, like blood type and other minutia. They didn't even bother with that bit of trivia. Just "Hey, this guy is tall" and "Hey, he's a jive mother" and "She's an anime"

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Spikey posted:

Fang is not party member number 7.

There are only six party members.

Hold on, let me count... Lightning, Sahz, Snow, Hope, Vanille... oh. :downs: I got confused.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

Its strange, Final Fantasy games in the past were filled with trite things, like blood type and other minutia. They didn't even bother with that bit of trivia. Just "Hey, this guy is tall" and "Hey, he's a jive mother" and "She's an anime"

In Japan, its an old cultural myth that blood type determined personality. It was character profile shorthand for "he's the hero" or "he's kind of an rear end in a top hat", etc that was lost when it was translated. :eng101:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

In Japan, its an old cultural myth that blood type determined personality. It was character profile shorthand for "he's the hero" or "he's kind of an rear end in a top hat", etc that was lost when it was translated. :eng101:

I know, and it's hilarious that they seemingly actively omitted it for FFXIII. No "Leader" "Anti-Hero" or some other archetype stuff here, just "Tall crazy hobo-looking guy" "Afro Man" and "Cloudette"

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Man, you guys are so wrong about Snow. He is the third best party member (after Sazh and Frocobo) because he just doesn't give a poo poo about all the anime going on around him. He knows he's just a dumb lug that's good at punchin' people, so that's what he's gonna do. He's gonna punch some people, save his Fianceé and try and keep as many people out of the way as possible.

Granted, this may also be colored by the fact that I experienced XIII-2 before XIII, and his role in the sequel is simultaneously so much more amazing and stupid than it is in this one.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Two moments had me laughing out loud in this update. The first was Snow just Launching everyone as the final blow, because it made him look like a total badass while being absolutely ridiculous. The second was the entire last conversation, which would've probably been fine enough as is but the whole "oh, like your mother" commentary only made it even better, and I thank you guys for that.

To be honest though, it only made me actually like Snow a bit more. He's got good intentions, even if he's an idiot. Though then again, the moments I've liked him are those that put him in direct contrast with Lightning and Hope, who are awful, so he might just look good by comparison.

Also that entrance on the Shiva bike was loving awesome, and more proof that this game is incredibly stupid, but it sure is pretty.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

FeyerbrandX posted:

I still think you need to record these tirades; the contrast of your soothing voice and the frothing at the mouth rage would be enjoyable. Also you'd probably be relegated to DLC in the Trilogy. Stuff people would want (like Ultros and Gilgamesh) but not want enough to encourage Square to make more of this garbage.
I guess I could always guest if the need arises? Unless it would be appreciated if I record my posts and put them on tindeck, seems a little masturbatory to me though (okay I've done it before but it feels honestly kinda lame).

Anyway, I definitely enjoy the Shiva entry, it's one of the best moments in the game because it's legitimately awesome and Snow doesn't talk. This could have been the entire game (gameplay optional, they want to make movies anyway). Nah seriously - it's great. Until you realize that the next 15 minutes will be spent fighting the same three enemy types again and again in slightly different setups. With the worst party in the game.

THEN you realize that it's more than 15 minutes :keke:.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Simply Simon posted:

I guess I could always guest if the need arises? Unless it would be appreciated if I record my posts and put them on tindeck, seems a little masturbatory to me though (okay I've done it before but it feels honestly kinda lame).

We'll have you on eventually. We still have four videos to record in Chapter 7, and I've already got someone booked for 8, but 9 and 10 are both wide open right now. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Ilyich posted:

I'm personally not a fan of some of the combat changes they made for Lightning Returns, but yes, on the whole it's totally worth it, especially if you legit platinumed 13/13-2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Aww man, Snow lost his endless store of hand grenades. Matter of fact, unless I'm mistaken, Snow doesn't get a Blitz-type move as a Commando, period. Which is fine, because the guy's an absolute wall with his Sentinel abilities. Combine that with the fact that he has Commando and Ravager together, and he makes for an excellent party member.

Also, I love how Hope's talking about how he hates being around Snow and he's just waiting for the right moment, but Snow is totally oblivious to it. It's funny just how dense they make the big guy in this game, because that's a character trait that isn't moping or...being Vanille. After being stuck with the angst duo through that sewer hydroponic farm, a cheery lunkhead is a breath of fresh air.

• Locked thread