Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

nine-gear crow posted:

It's becoming increasingly apparent as the stream continues that she actually is Vanille. It's actually kinda great :allears:

EDIT: https://youtu.be/_6lcXI-nm2s?t=14m18s ...Just sayin'

The funniest thing is people have been saying for years that Vanille's Australian accent was fake, but I suppose that comes from people being used to imitations and stereotypes that when the real deal comes along, it's easy to call fake on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm mad I'm so late to discovering this stream. I'm also mad at streams. I missed everything up until now. At least in normal videos I could go back and watch what I've missed....

Oh well, there's still a decent amount of game to come.

The lady seems really cool.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Judge Tesla posted:

The funniest thing is people have been saying for years that Vanille's Australian accent was fake, but I suppose that comes from people being used to imitations and stereotypes that when the real deal comes along, it's easy to call fake on it.

While it happens a lot that some people mistake fake accents for real ones and then dismiss the actually real ones for being different, it can also work that someone will mistake real accents for fake ones and dismiss other real ones for being the same. For example, there are a couple of German LPers that I simply cannot take seriously because their real accent sounds exactly like one of my uncles putting on the fakest German accent they can.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm mad I'm so late to discovering this stream. I'm also mad at streams. I missed everything up until now. At least in normal videos I could go back and watch what I've missed....

Oh well, there's still a decent amount of game to come.

The lady seems really cool.

Twitch auto-archives streams, so everything she's done is available for rewatching: http://www.twitch.tv/georgiavanc/profile

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oh wow, can't believe I missed that. Thank you for the link! Definitely going to have to watch those.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Part of the accent thing is that many countries have regional accents. There's no such thing as 'generic American' - the 'mid-Atlantic' accent comes close but it's nowhere near a majority. Likewise in the UK, accents vary almost by the neighbourhood.

Vanille's 'Australian' accent sounds a little bit stronger than the actress's natural speech, maybe as a consequence of the higher pitch making things come out a little more nasal.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

bewilderment posted:

Part of the accent thing is that many countries have regional accents. There's no such thing as 'generic American' - the 'mid-Atlantic' accent comes close but it's nowhere near a majority. Likewise in the UK, accents vary almost by the neighbourhood.

Vanille's 'Australian' accent sounds a little bit stronger than the actress's natural speech, maybe as a consequence of the higher pitch making things come out a little more nasal.

Actually, the 'standard' accent for Americans is Midwest.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Aerdan posted:

I always figured it would have been the Pacific Northwest, since there's no particular dialect there and it's where you'd find the most "news anchor" American English.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 9, 2015

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Aerdan posted:

What accent? I don't have an accent. :downs:

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Is it bad that when I talk to people that aren't from where I live, I intentionally ramp up my accent to mess with them?

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!

nine-gear crow posted:

It's becoming increasingly apparent as the stream continues that she actually is Vanille. It's actually kinda great :allears:

EDIT: https://youtu.be/_6lcXI-nm2s?t=14m18s ...Just sayin'

Okay Artix, according to the stream Vanille's voice actress did over FFXIII you either had inside information on the making of the game or you are psychic. She said that Square told her to make the narration part of her voice acting sound older as if she were looking back on this adventure as an adult.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well it's basically what Tidus did in FFX. Narrator Tidus' voice was also noticeably deeper.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

GMArcturus posted:

Okay Artix, according to the stream Vanille's voice actress did over FFXIII you either had inside information on the making of the game or you are psychic. She said that Square told her to make the narration part of her voice acting sound older as if she were looking back on this adventure as an adult.

The accent was still very noticeable, so that narrowed it down to Fang and Vanille, and the two have very different-sounding voices.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Well it's basically what Tidus did in FFX. Narrator Tidus' voice was also noticeably deeper.

It's also done to coyly fool you into thinking Vanille and Tidus survive the events of their respective games :v: (yes I know "sequels sequels sequels", but the point remains)

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

nine-gear crow posted:

It's also done to coyly fool you into thinking Vanille and Tidus survive the events of their respective games :v: (yes I know "sequels sequels sequels", but the point remains)

Vanille reawakens and spends her days wandering the beaches of New Bodhum, until she happens upon a Blitzball...

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

So Fedule, do you happen to be looking forward to December 10th? According to this article you should be. Actually we should all be looking forward to December 10th to be honest.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well, I was hoping to address that when the archived 13-2 hit, but I suppose Square has kinda forced my hand a bit early. So, to make a long story short, those of you expecting an LR thread within the next month are going to be disappointed. Fedule and I have talked about this a fair amount and it's looking like the first opportunity we'll have to really sit down and put together the kind of LP that I've done for 13 and 13-2 isn't going to be until June at the earliest. I would certainly like to do it earlier, but it's just not in the cards.

That said, that does not mean there will be nothing out of us. There is a non-zero chance that I will be putting together some LR videos on my own, but if you're looking for the kind of effort and competency that has (mostly) been in these LPs, you're in the wrong place. In fact, I doubt I'll even bother making a thread for it or anything, I might just put them up on my channel as I make them. As far as proper LPs go, I do have something coming up soon (I have the entire game recorded and 80% of the footage edited), but it's not Final Fantasy related and I don't expect it to be a very long thread. But for now, this thread is really just on life support until 13-2 goes live on the archive. Thanks for watching, everybody. It was a lot of fun even if it didn't sound like it towards the end. :unsmith:

E: Also to briefly answer a question from a page back or whatever, it is incredibly obvious that even though it was the rougher experience, I had a lot more fun with 13 (at least from my perspective). I put more effort into it, I had more fun playing it, and I was more satisfied with the final product. 13-2 was just kind of the opposite of that in general. I liked the game a lot less to start with, it was less engaging to play, the story is more immediately obvious and dumb (with a much less satisfying finish), and it just never came together the way 13 did. Some of that is on me, to be sure, but if I had to pick between the two I'd tell you 13 is the better LP every time.

Artix fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 19, 2015

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Eh, I think we can all appreciate you guys taking your time with Lightning Returns given that I'm sure many of us think it was the best of the entire trilogy and you would want to do the game justice in a formal LP. Though, I sure as heck wouldn't mind a couple of random Lightning Returns videos from either of you guys talking about what you thought of it while playing. Nothing formal just a casual set of videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Good night, sweet prince. See you all in whatever comes next.

• Locked thread