Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Ooh, the two of you vlping the one FF game I couldn't be arsed to finish? So onboard with this. Really enjoying the dynamic you guys have going and I'm only halfway through the first video.

I will be very surprised if this endeavor does not suck all optimism and positive thinking out of Artix, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
It's a little way the hell early to be getting into a deep discussion of the game's ups and downs, but I will say it did a pretty great job of creating cinematic anime jump-all-over-the-place combat that they'd been doing in CGI cutscenes for years before this game came out.

Of course, so did Kingdom Hearts 2.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
It says something that Ali Hillis, as :geno: as she is so far, is still more emotive here than she is as Liara in Mass Effect.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

Pretty sure that's a plot point and thus a spoiler, dude. Hope's mother doesn't have a name yet, as far as I remember.

Pretty excited for actual gameplay, though! Or something resembling actual gameplay, at least.

While we're on the subject of "how would you have handled the first two hours," I am not a fan of non-linear storytelling in video games unless it's done exceedingly well. The David Cage comparison was brought up and it is in FF13's favor, I will admit. But I wonder what the game would be like if it hadn't bothered with the "13 Days" gimmick and just started from the beginning of those thirteen days.

The answer is probably that it would have been the exact opposite of what we got -- too slow a start, and even less reason to put in actual gameplay, as opposed to being dropped in the middle of all the explosions with no reason to care about anything. But going through the thirteen days would have at least provided us reasons to care about the cast, right? They don't have to show everything, particularly the stuff that's character-motivating that won't come up for a while, but just...give us a reason to care.

Like, they keep talking about how bad it is to be a Pulse l'Cie, and they just got hit with the l'Cie curse, and we just don't care. Show us how bad it is, don't tell us.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

Hymirvetr posted:

I dunno guys, think about this:

Snow is supposed to get married soon,maybe start a family, and all he has for a job is apparently punching monsters in Bodhum and recently, being an Anti-Government Terrorist.

For me, that's not a "Hero". That's just being a childlike Idiot. Even if he saves Serah, he has nothing to go with in terms of being a responsible Adult, even in this
Anime-World where Money drops from Monsters and Digital Shops sell everything on every street corner.

To be fair, let's try and think of a FF character that begins the game in a responsible position that would allow them to have "for a job" something that would be considered by our real-world standards to be responsible. The closest is probably Squall, who's a student at Child Soldier Academy, so even then.

That loving Sned posted:

I wish there was some visual indication when enough time had passed so that your next paradigm shift will start off with a full bar. There's no reason that should be a hidden mechanic, since it encourages shifting paradigms in the first place. If you don't know about this and shift too often, then you won't get the instant full bar, and will be fighting inefficiently.

I'm sorry to be jumping ahead to future games, but did XIII-2 change this? I thought Pro StratzTM for this game (inasmuch as there is a Pro StratTM) involved doing stuff like setting up two of the same Paradigm so you switch to the other when you deplete one and have that ready.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
I dunno if that works for SMT, but for a game that encourages you to play around with different characters and their combat roles, game over upon the party leader's death is awful. You are locked to that leader character for better or for worse, and the game doesn't account for that fact. Artix mentioned the Winddrones, or whatever they were called, basically being able to two-shot you - if they decide to do it to an AI party member, you can recover from that. If they decide to do it to your character? gently caress you game over. The battles feel out of your control when, at any point, the enemies could decide to gang up on you and there's not a lot you can do to mitigate it. At least not now?

My main point of contention with this is that L2 and R2 are unused in combat. How hard would it have been to have those shuffle control of your character? Seriously.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Yeah, there's no way the Shiva designs were not approved with a round of high-fives and a six-pack of beer by a bunch of dudes who thought it was edgy or hot.

Were the Eidolon battles infuriatingly difficult for anyone else? You seemed to do pretty okay in the video, Artix, but the Doom timer seemed punishingly fast for me and I had to retry this beginning fight like three times, which seemed ridiculous for the fight that's supposed to be the tutorial for the system. I like the concept, but Doom seemed to barely give me any time to actually fill the gestalt gauge.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
I didn't play a lot of XIII-2, just the demo, but it did seem like it fixed literally every problem I had with XIII-1's combat system. But we'll get there when we get there. In three years.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Isn't the "public execution to make the stupid plebian masses sleep better" word-for-word a plot point from FF7?

Stuff like that and the airship name is probably supposed to be a clever reference or callback, but I wonder what the line is between that and just making you wish you were playing that game instead.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
All I know is I really like Launch because FF13 was trying its damnedest to have its silly anime "everyone jumps all over the place and Errol Flynns in midair" combat, and Launch is the single biggest factor that contributes to that sense.

I mean, for all else this game failed at, I do think it came the closest to achieving "Final Fantasy cinematic combat" of the sort that Square's CG department really likes to make.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Fedule has a unique posting style that always puts a smile on my face, even when he's whining about a game. It's very loving elegant.

(I am totally onboard with those complaints, the Sphere Grid felt really goddamn slow.)

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
It's a singalong with a bouncing mini-Lightning head, isn't it.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
I wouldn't be surprised if it's some sort of proprietary in-house font they call Eurostile Fantasy XIII.

Basically what I'm saying is you probably need to kidnap a Square exec to find this out.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
I'd say I called the singalong, or the karaoke-style lyrics at least, but...well, it was pretty obvious, especially once Fedule asked about fonts, so. Yeah. Really great work with the subtitles! And I'd also like to second a request for a bonus video of Nidoking singing.

I'm pretty sure Bravely Default is Squarenix's way of saying "we're sorry for how convoluted FF13 got, here's an alternate universe where we expanded on what makes a Final Fantasy a Final Fantasy while not actually naming it Final Fantasy."... If that makes sense? It probably doesn't make sense.

I remember being able to fight those scalebeasts pretty easily, it's just tedious as hell. But I mean, they still follow the basic pattern of "build and maintain stagger then fire everything once it breaks," though Saboteur speeds that up. I guess what I'm saying is I don't really see the need for that full-screen tutorial? Especially since, as Fedule mentioned, there's a later enemy that teaches you that lesson very naturally.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
As a corollary to the game not taking away your TP with the initial gestalt sequence, it didn't restore it either, and I think for dumb reasons (using Libra on everything until everything was filled out) I didn't have enough TP to resummon Shiva on my playthrough.

The Orion slowly pecked away at me and won the battle of attrition after about ten minutes.

It was probably partly my fault, like I didn't use Sentinel well enough or something, but it really killed the momentum of the whole "Snow rides in on Shiva motorcycle to save the day" adrenaline rush.

Re: FNC talk, maybe I'm making it up but I got the impression when they rebranded Versus XIII as XV they were sort of splitting it off from the failure of Fabulous Neo Crystalism and maybe they were taking away the elements that made it such? Again, I probably made all that up.

Snow is the tallest FF protagonist ever? That seems really weird, like, in a "why did they even bother focusing on that" sort of way. It's probably a symptom of the whole "focusing on creating art assets before actually creating a story" problem the whole XIII series had, though.

I really like how Snow is completely oblivious to Hope angsting about literally stabbing him in the back as he runs through this level. And completely oblivious to how literally everything he says just rubs it in Hope's face.

I am pretty sure there is a dude on Youtube who I was paying attention to when the game first came out who ended up eventually legit Platinuming the game, albeit like two years later in preparation for XIII-2. I think he was also one of the first people to start monetizing off of Twitch ads, though, so I don't think he would've done it if he hadn't had a legion of fans talking poo poo with him in stream chat.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
If people modded in the ability to skip these first 20 hours (you know, everything the LP has covered so far) and lowered the completely absurd CP requirements for the secondary roles I might actually consider dropping money on this game again.

... Who the gently caress am I kidding, I'm grabbing it the second it goes on the winter sale and will justify it with because MY PC CAN RUN IT AT SIXTY FPS. :negative:

(knowing the quality of square's PC ports they're probably gonna cap it at 30 anyway)

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
I think I'd like Lightning a lot more if she (and her character designer) let herself be Claire.

As is I think it's really silly that everyone indulges her super-cool nickname. I think Bart here is the only one to call her Claire in the whole drat trilogy.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Shh dude, spoilers~!

(but yeah wow, that's something to be excited for, can't wait!)

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Aaand now I have a hankering to read the LPs of the first two games in the archive, which is a Great Idea for a Thing to Do Before Bed.

... Speaking of, would this future project be like the LPs of the previous games or will you go video again?

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
So what you're saying is the gods made themselves so strong that even they couldn't lift the mountain kill themselves?

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
I generally prefer split videos when there's that much, that way I feel like I don't have to commit to something longer than my attention span lasts on Netflix. But that's just me. :v:

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Holy moly, Dysley is voiced by Hades from Kid Icarus Uprising. So...There's that, if you need to hear that VA talking to you endlessly.

I have nothing more productive to say except for some minor "wow gently caress instant death attacks" stuff, but congratulations on beating and LPing FF13. Despite all the complaining, this was quite enjoyable to watch and it's nice to have an informative LP on the books. Looking forward to the bullshit of the postgame.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Lightning Returns is the only game of the trilogy I finished, though it took a while for me to get over the initial boring hump. It's pretty alright!

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
I would kinda like to see the postgame, but I'd be satisfied with like a quick summary video or something with screenshots from the FF wiki, and if you're not even up to that that is also totally cool. Either way you've shown off the trainwreck that is the story of Fabula Nova Crystalis and that's worth a ton.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
I don't know that I'd call this a bait and switch like MGS2, because I don't think the marketing did like Kojima and flat-out lie about who you'd be playing as for the majority of the game. Like, there was still a lot of focus on Lightning but they didn't hide that Noel and Serah were the actual protagonists or say that you'd be playing as Lightning past these first 20 minutes (oh god that's so painfully long for how little gameplay input there is).

I think, I didn't actually pay too close attention to the marketing for this game so I could be wrong. :v:

I do kinda feel like "Cinematic Action" is the kind of name game developers would come up with to poke fun ironically at QTEs, but yeah, this game seems so blissfully and painfully unironic to be that kind of self-aware.

The name Noel Kreiss seems a bit heavy-handed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
little on the fanservicey side? :monocle:

• Locked thread