Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

In early 2010, Final Fantasy XIII art director Isamu Kamikokuryou was doing an interview for Dengeki Magazine (or Famitsu, no one seems to be able to track it down for sure), and was talking about some of the things that were left on the cutting room floor. Among other things, he talked about Lightning's house, NORA's headquarters, and a zoo in Bodhum; all of these had been rendered in-game and were explorable, they just never made the final cut for the master copy. That on its own is not surprising - all games leave some material behind, and with XIII's long and drawn out development cycle, it would hardly come as a shock that it has a bit more than most games. In fact, in his own words, there were enough art assets for "a whole other game."

Fast forward a year to January 2011, and Square-Enix registers a trademark for Final Fantasy XIII-2. Well that's awfully funny, isn't it? Producer Yoshinori Kitase was quick to deny that they had made use of these cut assets, but... Well, I suppose you'll see for yourself.

The Game

Release in January 2012, XIII-2 is a very, very reactionary game. The bulk of the changes between XIII and XIII-2 are addressing the complaints of the former with various levels of success - people complained about how linear XIII was, and XIII-2 is...well, still pretty linear, but much more open. In the wake of Mass Effect and Dragon Age, there are now dialogue choices every now and then, and absolutely none of them matter. Combat has been tweaked so that you no longer get a game over if your leader dies, and you can swap which character you're controlling on the fly. The plot has gone from "incomprehensibly stupid" to merely "painfully stupid". I could go on, but you get the gist of things.

On the other hand, actual new features include a complete lack of a difficulty curve, a framerate that's lucky to get out of the low 20's, platforming and literal computer science homework puzzles, and being the most blatant bait-and-switch this side of Metal Gear Solid 2.

See, Lightning was and still is very popular in Japan. So one would assume that XIII-2 would be another round of Lightning and Friends™. I mean, she's on the box art and all the marketing material, and she has a spiffy new outfit! Then you play the first 15 minutes and suddenly you get slammed with these two chucklefucks - a Kingdom Hearts reject, and a recovering ice cube.

Surprise!

The LP

Okay, so despite what I've written above, I actually don't hate this game. It's my least favorite of the trilogy by far, but it does have quite a bit going for it and I don't begrudge anyone who prefers it. We will be as fair as we can in the videos, but frankly neither of us like it very much, and we wouldn't be doing it at all if it wasn't required setup for Lightning Returns. So yeah, full disclosure.

Updates

Update 1: Where do I even start with this?
Update 2: Shooting Star Surfer
Update 3: Gentlemen, Start Your Retcons
Update 4: lyrics.mp3
Update 5: Can I give you a hand?
Update 6: That's not a Charmander
Update 7: Attack on Atlas
Update 8: An Extremely Important Diversion
Update 9: Metal Gear Stupid
Update 10: Hope's Funniest Home Videos
Update 11: Enter Caius
Update 12: Fashion Statements
Update 13: Shut the gently caress up, Noel
Update 14: Step Into the Rainbow (Again)
Update 15: Why did we come here, again?
Update 16: The Hunters' Test
Update 17: Chocobo Cannibalism
Update 18: Trans-Dimensional Bowels
Update 19: gently caress Academia 400
Update 20: PARADOX.EXE
Update 21: The Grammar of Time Travel
Update 22: Forbidden - Learning; Recommended - Puzzles
Update 23: Yelling Into the Digital Abyss
Update 24: A Trivial Matter
Update 25: gently caress Clock Puzzles
Update 26: Crazy...Flan?
Update 27: The Beginning of the End
Update 28: Game Over, Caius Wins
Update 29: An Eternity of Snow
Update 30: Donald Trump presents: The Monster Hunter
Update 31: A Shocking Reveal
Update 32: ...L-Lightning-senpai?
Update 33: Mog's Big Payday
Update 34: The Puppy Who Ruined the Timeline
Update 35: The Soothing Sounds of the Ochu
Update 36: Connecting the Dots
Update 37: The Legacy of Lightning
Update 38: Mog's Welcome Home Cakes
Update 39: I Will Protect You...
Update 40: ...Until the End of Time

Update 41: Welcome to the Chocobo Rodeo
Update 42: A Quantum Conundrum
Update 43: Back to the Punching Ground
Update 44: The Don is In
Update 45: Toilet Paper Hell
Update 46: The Fanservice Episode
Update 47: Taking Out the Trash
Update 48: Picking a Fight With Death
Update 49: Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Prepare to Die Edition
Update 50: Please Buy Lightning Returns

Artix fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Final Fantasy XIII is a game that needs no introduction. Released in March 2010, it is perhaps the most divisive title in the entire franchise to date - no small feat for a series that contains games like Final Fantasy VIII and XII. While it is unquestionably a lesser game than IX, VI, or X, it's far from the worst the series has to offer. The battle system is fast, fluid, and challenging, the game is a gorgeous triumph on both a technical and artistic level, and the difficulty curve is silky smooth, combining the best (and worst) bits of SMT and Final Fantasy. For most people, this is counterbalanced by the game's excessive linearity, terrible story, and characters that make even the most hardened defender of the game groan.

As for me, I like the game. It's not perfect, but I had enough fun with it to call it an enjoyable experience. My partner in crime, Fedule, does not. Maybe you don't either. But that's okay! I'm not going to tell you that if you had just read Datalog 5.38A then the story would have made perfect sense and everyone would love the game. I'm not here to change anyone's mind about the game, and all I ask is that you do the same. Just keep it civil and concise - no one wants to read your 10,000 word diatribe about how Final Fantasy XIII is god's gift to mankind or an abomination crafted by Satan himself in a bid to destroy the franchise forever, and I will lock the thread if things get out of hand.

This LP will be done in video, and there will be commentary over cutscenes. The story is the last reason to be playing FF13 and while we'll do our best to let the game speak for itself, you're not missing much, I promise. There'll also probably be more than a few effort posts along the way covering combat, datalogs, etc, but we'll cross those bridges when we get there.

Spoilers: If you absolutely have to post them, tag them. Sure, they're going to be incomprehensible to anyone who hasn't played the game anyway, but it's good form. And absolutely no spoilers for the sequels. Period. Not even tagged.

Full Playlist

Updates
Update 1: Does this remind you of anything?
Update 2: Neither a Hope NORA Care
Update 3: Sympathizing with Hope
Update 4: A Brilliant Plan
Update 5: Crystalline Drifts and Paradigm Shifts
Update 6: Tri-Disastrous
Update 7: Slippery Summons
Update 8: Trash Walking, Trash Talking
Update 9: Managerial Initiative for Incentivizing Rapid Growth of Industrial Synergy
Update 10: Abandon Hope
Update 11: Auric Amulet of Forgetfulness
Update 12: Following the Blue Light Road
Update 13: You Wouldn't Stab a Golden Retriever...
Update 14: The Umbrella School of Pokemon Design
Update 15: Step Into the Rainbow
Update 16: Weathering the Wilderness
Update 17: Director Rosch Vows to Personally End Pulse Menace
Update 18: How Many More PSICOM Troops Will Pulse L'Cie Murder Today?
Update 19: Repulsed! Cowardly l'Cie Flee in Face of Heroic Stand by Citizens
Update 20: Panicked L'Cie Continue Flight From Justice
Update 21: Could YOUR Child be a Pulse L'Cie?
Update 22: The City of Dreams
Update 23: The City of Nightmares
Update 24: Aerodynamics 101 with Motomu Toriyama
Update 25: Oerba Dia Vanille's Pro Kalavinka Striker Fishing®™
Update 26: Space Pope Cope to Cope
Update 27: Ark-Annoyed
Update 28: When it Raines...
Update 29: Falling with Style
Update 30: The Writing on the Wall
Update 31: The Hunt Begins
Update 32: Drakengard!
Update 33: Undyin' Over Here
Update 34: Paling in Comparison
Update 35: A Feathery Frolic with Friends
Update 36: something something Hecatoncheir?
Update 37: Hope, Emissary to the Juggernaut People
Update 38: Who the gently caress is Taejin?
Update 39: Taejin Our Time
Update 40: Dekcus noegnud siht
Update 41: The Sands of Time
Update 42: End of the Road
Update 43: Gentlemen, Start Your Engines
Update 44: Where Hope Goes to Die
Update 45: Pride Before the Fall
Update 46: A Haerii Situation
Update 47: Welcome to the Matrix
Update 48: Eden's Final "Challenge"
Update 49: The Cradle Will Fall

Update 50: Hunt Roundup 1 - Analect Edition
Update 51: We're Going to Need Some Bigger Numbers
Update 52: A Treatise on the Collapse of the Pulsian Economy
Update 53: 1000 Needles
Update 54: A Titanic Achievement
Update 55: Well that was anticlimactic
Update 56: Claire Farron, Oretoise Hunter
Update 57: ~Fin~

Artix fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 14, 2015

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Intro Cutscene :siren:

Music

Prelude (Intro Cutscene)
The Promise (Title Screen)

------

:siren: Update 1: Does this remind you of anything? :siren:
Part 1 (Polsy)
Part 2 (Polsy)

Music

Defiers of Fate
Blinded by Light
The Hanging Edge
The Warpath Home
Saber's Edge

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

Defiers of Fate

Lightning and Sazh are held aboard a military 'Purge' train along with a group of civilians destined for exile. In a stark contrast to the uncertain and despairing people around her, Lightning appears determined and focused.

She seizes upon an instant of inattention to disable a guard, and her impressive display inspires Sazh and the other civilians to take up arms against the soldiers.

After clashing with army forces, the train crashes to a halt in the war-torn district known as the Hanging Edge.

Sazh attempts to figure out Lightning's angle, but she shows little desire to share. The former soldier throws herself into battle without the slightest hint of hesitation — what could be driving her...?

quote:

Fields of War

Suspect citizens of Cocoon are wrenched from their tranquil existence and threatened with exile to the world of Pulse. The Purge has begun.

The 'land below' is said to crawl with unknown perils, and terrified civilians begin to rebel against the Purge. A revolt also occurs on the train transporting Purge deportees, as Lightning's battle against the guards galvanizes the other prisoners into action.

The train comes to a halt in the district of the Hanging Edge—now a hellish warzone where soldiers open fire indiscriminately upon civilians.

Lightning makes her way through the middle of the conflict, all but ignoring her uninvited companion, Sazh. She seems determined to press onwards even when the path before her is destroyed by military strikes.

quote:

Another Rebellion

The peaceful citizens of Cocoon live in constant fear of invasion by the forces of Pulse — the world below and supposed home of terrors unknown.

Were even a single Pulsian agent to be discovered on Cocoon, panic and civil unrest would be sure to follow, threatening the very fabric of society. To prevent such a calamity, the Sanctum (Cocoon's governing body) initiates the 'Purge' — a government initiative officially entailing the deportation of all those who may have come into contact with corrupting Pulsian influences.

However, the Sanctum army is now brutally slaughtering the civilians they were supposed to be deporting.

Realizing that the Purge is nothing more than a massacre in disguise, Snow leads the young freedom fighters of NORA in an effort to protect the Purge 'deportees' from the Sanctum soldiers.

quote:

The Warpath Home

The Purge is a Sanctum initiative designed to protect the stability of Cocoon by forcing potentially dangerous civilians to relocate to Pulse.

However, the relocation is simply a facade to cover the massacre that ensues. The government's true goal is the brutal extermination of all possible threats to society.

Having discovered the horrific truth, Snow leads the members of NORA against the government soldiers of PSICOM.

Inspired by the actions of this handful of brave young men and women, the beleaguered civilians take heart and join the battle in the hope of returning to a normal life.

Among the citizens who stand against the forces of PSICOM is a mother who wishes for nothing more than to protect her son.

quote:

Fallen Innocence

Cocoon's citizens have always been terrified of Pulse and the mysterious horrors that are said to stalk its hostile wastelands.

Their fear is so great that if a Cocoon native were to have even the briefest contact with Pulsian elements, former friends and neighbors would consider them corrupted and dangerous.

In light of this fact, the Sanctum orders the Purging of Bodhum in an effort to remove all potentially Pulse-tainted civilians.

Accordingly, soldiers round up all those identified as candidates for relocation and inform them of their impending exile.

However, PSICOM, the elite arm of the Sanctum military, then begins to massacre the helpless civilians. This prompts Snow to lead the people in a rebellion against the army. Tragically, one of the civilians who decides to follow him, hoping to protect her son, dies in the act of saving Snow's life.

From afar, the boy witnesses the moment of his mother's death in shock and disbelief.

quote:

The Thirteen Days: Day 13 - Exile

A fal'Cie of Pulse origin was discovered within a Vestige on the outskirts of Bodhum two days previously, having apparently spent centuries in hibernation with humans none the wiser to its presence. The Sanctum deemed the potential contamination by Pulse magic a risk too great to overlook, and immediately enacted legislation permitting the Purge - an involuntary removal of the fal'Cie and the entire population of Bodhum from Cocoon.

Deportees were told only that they would be transported to Pulse.

Artix fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 1, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

theshim posted:

I don't think I believe you.

We'll see if he's still singing that tune after 13-2. :unsmigghh:

I'll be right there with him!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Right, so let's get one small thing out of the way. Given that yesterday was April Fools day, I can understand if anyone was a little wary over whether or not this is real. Well, last night I put the finishing touches on the first video of Chapter 3, so rest assured that this clearly well thought out project is not a total pipe dream.

At any rate, updates will be coming not quite twice a week, but more than once a week if that makes any sense. The first non-Sandcastle update will be on Friday, so I'll see you guys then. :)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I could have sworn that she was wearing shorts, but no, it's definitely a skirt. That said, there is something that she's wearing beneath the skirt (you can see it inside her jacket), so who the gently caress knows.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Instant Grat posted:

Enemy levels in this game do exactly 2 things - one has to do with a game mechanic we haven't been introduced to yet, and the other is to determine whether or not a certain ability will work on them. If they're at level 49 or below, it will - if not, it won't.

I hate that I know this.

...Stopga? I'm seriously wracking my brain and I have no idea what you're talking about. I thought it might be Death, but that has its own resistance. Anything level 50+ is usually a boss, and I don't know what else it could be.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Instant Grat posted:

It's Random: Instant Chain. Yup, really. I don't even know if it's worth spoilertagging, it's so insignificant, but there you go. Just for reference, the other thing is TP gain.

Yep, that'll do it. I love that ability so I'm going to abuse the gently caress out of it once it's available, but that's not going to be for a long time.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Not to stifle discussion or anything but:

1) This is not the FF General thread, take FFX talk or otherwise there.
2) We address (or at least acknowledge) the points/counterpoints of the combat system when it actually becomes relevant in Chapter 3. Having this argument now just means that we'll be regurgitating those points in two weeks.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 2: Neither a Hope NORA Care (Polsy) :siren:

Music

The Pulse Fal'Cie
Snow's Theme

Bestiary

Datalogs

While the Datalogs are 100% optional reading, I do suggest at least looking through the ones that aren't plot recaps. A lot of them cover background stuff that the game glosses over, and none of them are very long.

quote:

The Fal'Cie Awaits

A massive object is transported through the sky over the Hanging Edge. This object is a Pulse Vestige — a lowerworld artifact that had been nothing more than a Bodhum landmark. Two days ago, it was discovered that the Vestige housed a long dormant Pulse fal'Cie.

The fal'Cie had slumbered undisturbed on the outskirts of a Cocoon city for centuries. The Sanctum decrees that the presence of the Pulse entity and its corrupting magics have tainted the entire population of the city, and orders the Purge.

For different reasons, Lightning and Sazh now make their way towards the very being that was the catalyst for so much tragedy.

Snow, meanwhile, is crushed by feelings of guilt after many die under his command. He only emerges from his gloom when Gadot reminds him that the fal'Cie is holding a certain young lady captive — who needs her hero now more than ever.

quote:

Into the Vestige

Snow still cannot shake his feelings of guilt. Despite his efforts to protect the Purge deportees from the Sanctum forces, many have fallen.

The death of one woman in particular haunts his thoughts: a mother fighting for the sake of her son, who gave her life to save Snow.

In the moments before her death, the woman begged the leader of NORA to take care of her child, but slipped from Snow's grasp without revealing the boy's identity.

With Gadot's help, Snow breaks out of his depression. He figures that if he just goes ahead and protects everyone, then the woman's son will be saved as well.

After checking to see if the children are safe, Snow leaves the waning battle to his fellow NORA members and sets off with new determination towards the Vestige. His fiancée is still held captive by the Pulse fal'Cie.

A boy watches him leave, eyes filled with rage and loathing. To his grief-stricken mind, Snow is responsible for his mother's death.

quote:

Fates Intertwined

For centuries, a Pulse fal'Cie has slumbered undisturbed on the outskirts of a Cocoon city. On the day the lowerworld entity is finally discovered, Cocoon's peaceful society is plunged into chaos.

The government judges the city's inhabitants to have been tainted by their unwelcome guest, and begins a merciless campaign to expunge both the fal'Cie and the 'corrupted' citizenry from the face of Cocoon.

Instead of the exile they were led to expect, the civilians face extermination at the hands of the Sanctum army.

The people attempt to fight back, but are hopelessly outmatched by the military.

Lightning cuts her way through this battlefield, doggedly followed by the desperate Sazh.

Snow, meanwhile, seeks to rescue his fiancée.

...And a boy spurred on by dreams of revenge pursues Snow with the help of an unusual young lady.

Though driven by their separate goals, their paths all lead to the same end: the Pulse fal'Cie.

quote:

History and Myth: Pulse

Resting in Cocoon's shadow, the sprawling and enigmatic lowerworld of Pulse is home to a multitude of terrors. The land is commonly believed to be inhospitable to human life, and a strict ban on interworld travel forbids citizens of Cocoon from venturing there to challenge this hypothesis. Not even members of the Sanctum's upper echelon can claim to have seen the surface with their own eyes, but the attempted invasion by the world's savage armies several centuries ago is well documented. Widespread fear of a repeated assault persists among the populace even today, with colloquial references often likening the world to a manner of living hell.

quote:

History and Myth: Pulse Fal'Cie

Fal'Cie are an existence beyond human comprehension, possessed of incredible magic power. The ones responsible for Cocoon's construction are protectors of humanity, but there are others of their kind as well: the fal'Cie who dwell on Pulse and name themselves enemies of Cocoon.

Humans who encounter Pulse fal'Cie are cursed, being turned to l'Cie and ordered to destroy Cocoon. It is for this reason that most ordinary citizens support the Purge - anyone who may have come into contact with one of these fal'Cie represents a dire threat.

quote:

History and Myth: Pulse L'Cie

The beings known as fal'Cie possess the power to enthrall unwilling human instruments, compelling the victims to serve their will. These individuals, known as l'Cie, are marked with indelible brands. They gain the gift of magic, but also bear the burden of completing a task known as a Focus for their fal'Cie master.

Pulse l'Cie - tools of fal'Cie from the world below - are considered dangerous enemies of Cocoon's society. As there exists no means of removing the l'Cie brand and the curse thereby imposed, Pulse l'Cie are hunted relentlessly.

quote:

Locales: Cocoon

From her lofty seat, the world of Cocoon has long enjoyed tranquility. The interior of her spherical shell supports several sprawling cities and a population numbering in the tens of millions. Although a variety of dangerous beasts prowl the wilds, advanced technology and the protection of the world's fal'Cie keepers ensure residents a peaceful and prosperous existence. Travel to the lowerworld of Pulse is forbidden, but given their deep-seated cultural fears of the place, Cocoon citizens would not even think to venture beyond the paradise they know.

quote:

Locales: The Hanging Edge

A relic of days before the War of Transgression, the Hanging Edge is located near Cocoon's outer rim. The area was once a thriving urban center, but residents were forced to abandon the location when an attack by Pulsian forces cracked Cocoon's shell during the conflict several centuries ago. It was since designated a restricted zone and, with civilian access prohibited, soon became nothing more than a name on local maps.

quote:

Cocoon Society: The Sanctum

Cocoon's central government, the Sanctum, holds supreme executive, legislative and judicial power. It also maintains directive authority over the military.

Despite the fact that Cocoon was built by the fal'Cie, and not by humans, fal'Cie opt to participate only superficially in governmental affairs, leaving Cocoon's administration entirely at the discretion of the human Sanctum and its Primarch, Galenth Dysley.

quote:

Cocoon Society: The Purge

To the millions who call Cocoon home, the lowerworld of Pulse represents a constant source of fear. Suspected association with Pulse means stigmatization as an enemy of the state and all mankind - even for born and raised citizens of Cocoon.

The recent discovery of a fal'Cie from Pulse near the city of Bodhum cause widespread civil unrest. After placing the city's entire population under quarantine due to the possibility of contamination, the Sanctum then announced its intent to forcibly relocate the affected to Pulse in an emergency measure dubbed by authorities as the Purge.

quote:

Cocoon Society: PSICOM

The Sanctum military is composed of two main branches: the Guardian Corps, responsible for maintaining security in various jurisdictions throughout Cocoon, and PSICOM - Public Security and Intelligence Command.

PSICOM is an elite special operations unit charged with protecting Cocoon from Pulsian incursion. In contrast to the lightly armed Guardian Corps, PSICOM employs an array of advanced heavy weaponry and cruiser-class airships. As PSICOM bears responsibility for any and all threats of Pulse origin, it was PSICOM who conducted the Purge.

quote:

Cocoon Society: Bioweapons

The Sanctum has developed a vast arsenal of weaponry to defend against the constant threat of Pulse, and these living weapons are one of many fruits its research has borne.

Ordinary Cocoon wildlife transformed into efficient killing machinery through selective breeding, intense training, and physical augmentation, bioweapons retain all the raw power and feral fury of their natural counterparts while obeying the commands of their handlers with unwavering loyalty.

quote:

Cocoon Society: AMP Technology

Antimatter Manipulation Principle (AMP) form the foundation for a variety of technological wonders, enabling phenomena ranging from phase-space interference to the manipulation of gravitational force.

Humans ordinarily lack the means to wield magic, but through the use of manadrives - another product of the principle - it is possible to synthesize its effects.

quote:

Cocoon Society: NORA

The paramilitary organization known as NORA is a group composed of like-minded youths, assembled by Snow and self-funded by the operation of a seaside café in Bodhum.

Functioning as a neighborhood watch of sorts, NORA members patrol the vicinity of Bodhum for trouble. Most often, "trouble" consists of encroachment by dangerous forms of wildlife.

NORA had never openly acted out against the Sanctum prior to the Purge, and because of this, the military had been content to turn a blind eye to the group's activities.

quote:

People: Gadot

A childhood friend of Snow, Gadot is one of the founding members of NORA. With his impressive frame, he sees himself as the group's shock trooper.

Raised almost like a brother to Snow in a Sanctum facility, he knows the NORA leader better than anyone. Despite his often blunt comments and rough behavior, he is devoted to Snow's ideals of compassion.

quote:

People: Lebreau

Friends with Snow from a young age, Lebreau is one of the founding members of NORA. She runs the café they opened to fund NORA's operations, and her cooking is one of the best-kept secrets in Bodhum.

With her brusque, no-nonsense manner, the young woman is treated just like one of the guys, and she would have it no other way.

quote:

People: Maqui

Maqui joined the ranks of NORA out of his admiration for Snow. He loves to tinker with machinery and serves as the group's mechanic. His talent for taking junk and using it to upgrade machines has provided NORA with a secret source of income.

One day Maqui wants to be a reliable, heroic type like Snow, but he still has a long way to go.

quote:

People: Yuj

A junior member of NORA, Yuj is a kind-hearted young man with an insatiable interest in fashion.

Though he lacks the same courage as Snow and Gadot in dangerous situations, his calming influence makes him an invaluable asset to the group.

quote:

People: Chocobo Chick

The chocobo chick travels in Sazh's hair. Though it has only been with Sazh for a short while, a strong bond has formed between them.

The chick has no name, as voicing the true identity of the animal might trigger ripples of destiny across Cocoon and cause a hurricane in Eden. Either that, or Sazh just hasn't thought of one yet.

Artix fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 14, 2015

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Instant Grat posted:

Vanille is very much indicative of the game as a whole in that she (debatably) "gets better later" but returns to being terrible shortly after that.

Also are we even supposed to know her name yet?

Assuming you didn't have subtitles on to spoil it, we would have found out her name next video.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh, one quick thing. Since Final Fantasy XIII is a game that was built with nothing but good decisions, it locks the "Characters" tab of the datalog until Chapter 3 for...reasons? At any rate, I've gone back and edited in a couple more datalogs, mostly just the members of NORA.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Regy Rusty posted:

So I'm not sure if I maybe missed something, but if I hadn't read the data log explaining it, I wouldn't have realized Hope blamed Snow for his mother's death and was going off for revenge. That's kind of a big character motivation to completely gloss over.

The datalog is just a little ahead of the story there. The next video will make it abundantly clear that Hope blames Snow for all of this.

Rita Repulsa posted:

How much time will be cut from the "two or three hours until the battle system's allowed to be used" from skipping random battles in the videos. Just wondering because that's what I'm waiting for, to see the battle system properly demoed.

Next week's videos will take us through Chapter 2 and are 27 and 23 minutes long respectively. After that, all 3 updates for Chapter 3 are going to be playing around with the battle system, but you'll get a pretty good taste of how it all works from the first video.

AradoBalanga posted:

That last thing is my major issue: the game hasn't EXPLAINED itself yet. Being vague with details at the start is something that is done across nearly every medium. But, then you have to fill in the vague details with explanations and introductions. Shoving exposition into a random file/document/datalog you can pick up as you go is okay (see: the Resident Evil franchise doing that for nearly every game), but leaning on them for total support to the story is not what you do. You have to at least stop for a moment, and let someone in-game explain your world to the audience or else you'll lose them completely. Waiting approximately 3 chapters into the game to do that is A Very Dumb Idea. Very few people have the patience for that long of a wait, and if they do, the payoff better be something worth the gigantic wait.

Just a small correction, the datalog is accessible at any time. It's just the Characters tab that's locked off until Chapter 3 because???

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

An hour, and entire hour of bland corridor running, tedious fights, and cutscenes. And yet the only way to find actual CONTEXT for any of it is in text files. Three scenes of Hope looking at Snow and mumbling, and I didn't get that he wanted revenge until a text file told me.

What the poo poo?

While your complaint is not without merit, tomorrow's video will pound that particular plot point into your face with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer. Not to say that the game makes a very good first impression, but you would (mostly) have some basic answers to a lot of the questions re: The Purge, L'Cie, Hope/Snow, etc, within the first two hours.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 3: Sympathizing with Hope (Polsy) :siren:

Music

The Vestige

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

In Pursuit of Snow

Hope has fallen into a panic.

In his single-minded pursuit of Snow, he has rushed into the lair of a fal'Cie and is only now recalling the terrible nature of the being that lurks within. The Pulse entity could use its power to curse them—to turn them into l'Cie.

Pulse l'Cie are the doomed servants of the fal'Cie who created them, despised and feared by the people of Cocoon.

Hope's companion, Vanille, seems unconcerned by this dreadful possibility. Bemused by her indomitable cheerfulness, he nervously follows her in search of Snow.

It was Snow who convinced his mother to fight. It was Snow she was protecting when she died. And it is Snow who must be made to pay.

quote:

Where Men Fear to Tread

To the citizens of Cocoon, the lowerworld of Pulse is a hell rife with unknown terrors, and the recently discovered Pulse fal'Cie is an invader from that hell.

In an effort to quell the growing panic in the wake of the entity's discovery, the Sanctum initiates an extreme measure known as the Purge. Under this initiative, not only is the fal'Cie to be cast out of Cocoon, but all of the civilians living nearby as well.

Any person coming into contact with the lowerworld being's foul energies could already be corrupted, and no potential enemies of Cocoon can be allowed to remain.

The ensuing 'deportation' claims the lives of countless civilians, Hope's mother among them. After witnessing her death and chasing Snow into the Vestige in a blind rage, Hope suddenly realizes that he may soon share the same fate as the Pulse fal'Cie: relocation to the world below.

Vanille, however, calmly accepts the situation, and lends her support to the distraught boy.

Unaware of his young pursuers, Snow begins exploring the arcane halls and chambers of the shrine-like Vestige in search of his captive fiancée, Serah.

quote:

Open Doors Beckon

The Pulse fal'Cie—an entity that threatens the peace of Cocoon's society—holds Snow's fiancée captive.

As the determined Snow delves ever deeper into the alien structure, Lightning and Sazh arrive at the Vestige after fighting their way through waves of Sanctum forces.

The unlikely duo's progress is halted by an impassable gate, which finally opens as if in response to Lightning's whispered words of apology.

Did her plea reach the mind of the fal'Cie? Or was another being responsible for opening the portal?

Sazh follows the ex-soldier into the Vestige, bemused by the lack of explanation, but driven on nonetheless by a purpose he has yet to reveal.

quote:

In the Shadow of l'Cie

Military 'weapons' stalk the halls of the Vestige... Though the PSICOM recon team that uncovered the lowerworld being two days previous is still trapped inside, Lightning and Sazh know that the real threat is not part of the Sanctum army, but the Pulse fal'Cie and its servant l'Cie.

Pulse l'Cie are former humans who have become agents of destruction. Those residents living near the Vestige face being Purged simply because of their proximity to the fal'Cie and the possibility that its power has bound them into servitude.

With tales of l'Cie haunting his thoughts, Hope hears Snow's voice calling in the distance.

Although he plans to confront Snow over his mother's death, the reality of the situation becomes too much for Hope to bear. He cannot go through with it. Not yet.

quote:

Saving the Enemy

Pulse l'Cie are cursed beings who wield supernatural power and whose very existence incites panic and destruction.

Hope explodes into a rage upon hearing that Snow plans to rescue Serah, now a l'Cie herself. Even if she is Snow's fiancée, nothing good can come of helping a sworn enemy of Cocoon. The situation only serves to magnify Hope's hatred of the man he holds responsible for his mother's death.

Shaking with fury, he is unable to form the words he so desperately wants to say.

Oblivious to Hope's anger and worried for their safety, Snow decides to bring Hope and Vanille along on his mission.

Meanwhile, Sazh explains the cruel fate of a person cursed as a l'Cie. L'Cie are bound in eternal service to a fal'Cie, and failure to carry out a focus results in a transformation into a mindless abomination—a Cie'th.

A person shackled by the l'Cie curse is beyond salvation.

As Sazh comes to this grim conclusion, Lightning angrily compares him to those who insisted on the Purge. She knows full well the doom that awaits a l'Cie, and will do anything in her power to save her sister from that fate.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Jesus christ people at this rate I might as well not even post the first two videos of Chapter 3, you guys are going to cover literally everything we said. I realize that there's not TOO much to say about Chapter 2, but come on.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Clearly when my last post was a thinly-veiled "Shut the gently caress about Chapter 3 and the real combat system", the ideal solution is to continue talking about it.

Big Nothing posted:

The Vestige is a weird place. How did they get inside? How large is the vestige? What is the purpose of the vestige?

That was the whole point of stealing the hoverbikes last chapter. It even pans over their crashed bike in the first 15 seconds of the video I just posted. As for its purpose, that's in the Location datalog for the Vestige, which will be posted next update.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There's actually a pretty great sketch that Ali Hillis and Troy Baker did after the game's release where they basically ad-libbed a scene and it was a thousand time more natural and better sounding than anything in FF13 proper. The visual backdrop it uses is unfortunately loving Chapter 11, but I'll definitely link it when the time comes because it's amazing how much better the voice acting could have been.

(Should you be unfazed by spoilers, search Youtube for "Final Fantasy XIII voice actors sketch", it'll be the first result)

Artix fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 8, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
That's the one.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Simply Simon posted:

God drat, that is a great observation. It sadly is too subtle, otherwise it would have been fantastic shorthand just for how callous the Fal'Cie are in treating their human subjects. I don't want to see a scene depicting them turning into Cie'th directly; in fact, that would ruin the chilling realization of what happened to the Corps. Just...show them marching in. Cut. Hope and Vanille scene; door opens. Ripped open uniforms and rifles on the floor, zombies march in. Don't dwell on the signs of their turning. But I think it needs the detail to make people able to see what happened rather than having to think about, because I'm completely fine with the game being just a visual experience and we're at a point anyway where thinking is basically impossible as we have no idea what's going on (but it sure is pretty indeed).

Yep, believe it or not, FF13 can be subtle as hell when it wants to be. The problem, as noted, is that if you're not following the datalog, it goes from "subtle" to "completely unnoticeable". I absolutely agree that it would have benefitted from making that little bit in particular more overt, but when it comes to FF13's plot, you take what you can get.

I'm actually glad that got brought up because I totally blanked on it when we recorded this chapter and the datalog in question is with the next video.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 4: A Brilliant Plan (Polsy) :siren:

Music

Ragnarok

quote:

Ragnarok.
De Die Irae, l'Cie Pultis.
Tuum fatum sequeris. Tuum sanctuarium affligeas.

Ragnarok.
Dominus Ultionis venit.

Ragnarok.
De Die Miseriae, l'Cie Pultis.
Tuum fatum sequeris. Tuum mundum dispertaris.

Ragnarok.
Rex Immiserabilis advenit.

Usque lux apparet, animae mortuae procusae sunt.
Per somnum aeternum, numen divinum dictus est.
Viator elamentabilis, Ragnarok.

Ragnarok.
Of the Days of Wrath, l'Cie of Pulse:
Follow your fate. Your homes will burn.

Ragnarok.
The Lord of Vengeance approaches.

Ragnarok.
Of the Days of Misery, l'Cie of Pulse:
Follow your fate. Your world will be broken.

Ragnarok.
The Merciless King comes.

Eternal light shines forth from the souls of the dead.
In eternal sleep, divine word is divine will.
Most lamentable wanderer, Ragnarok.

Thanks to idonotlikepeas for the translation!

In the Sky That Night

Promised Eternity

Serah's Theme

quote:

English Lyrics

Make my wish come true, let darkness fade to light
Show me there's still hope, show me it's not over
Battles we can win, our struggle lies within
Will we live to greet the dawn?

Love will not leave you, hate will not heal you
Promise me one day that peace shall reign.

Japanese Lyrics

Make my wish come true, let darkness slip aside
Hiding all our hope, mocking what we treasure
Battles we can win, if we believe our souls
Hang in for the light, till dawn.

Fate will not leave you, hate will not heal you
Pray and one day, peace shall flow everywhere.

Eternal Love

Eternal Love only plays in the JP version, where Serah's Theme plays in the US one. Sets the mood a hell of a lot better, if nothing else.

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

The Gift of Eternity

A legend on Cocoon states that if l'Cie complete the Focus given by a fal'Cie, they turn into crystal and gain eternal life.

And just as the legend describes, Serah, Lightning's younger sister and fiancée to Snow, glows with an incredible light and turns into crystal. But has she truly gained eternal life? And what Focus has she completed?

This timeless crystal sleep seems nothing more than another form of death to Lightning, and she turns her feelings of grief and anger upon Snow.

Snow, however, refuses to give up hope of a future where Serah will return to him.

Just then, the Sanctum army begins its assault on the Vestige. Though it may mean sharing the Vestige's imminent destruction, the group heads ever deeper into the complex.

Snow seeks to persuade the fal'Cie to release his fiancée, while Lightning and Sazh have other plans in mind...

quote:

Pulsian Menace

Snow pleads with the Pulse fal'Cie. He offers himself in Serah's place if it will release her from her fate.

The fal'Cie remains silent.

Seeing Snow's desperate pleas go unanswered, Lightning and Sazh draw weapons on the lowerworld being. Even if the fal'Cie will soon be destroyed along with the entire Vestige, they have reasons to defeat it with their own hands.

They work together to bring down the fal'Cie, and the Vestige now plummets towards the lake below. A final wave of power explodes from the dying fal'Cie, transforming the water and surrounding area into solid crystal.

Lightning and the others do not witness this breathtaking event—upon defeating the fal'Cie, they are drawn through a rift into a dimension where an immense, otherworldly presence awaits.

Onto their bodies, it sears cursed brands; onto their minds, the vision of a beast destroying Cocoon. Swept along by unimaginable energies, the helpless companions are swallowed in a lightless void.

As Snow drifts in the darkness, one memory fights to the surface of his consciousness...

quote:

Bound in Darkness

Lightning feels nothing but anger towards the Pulse fal'Cie. It had taken Serah and cursed her with a l'Cie's doomed existence. It is the underlying reason for the Purge. And it is an enemy to be cut down if she is to fulfill Serah's final request: to save Cocoon.

Lightning's aggression provokes the fal'Cie into action, and it attacks her. Sazh draws his guns with grim resolve, and Snow joins the battle without hesitation.

As they deal the killing blow to the master of the Vestige, a flash of light rends the air.

They are pulled into a swirling void of chaos, where they are bound by an ominous and inexorable entity. Branded with arcane markings, the companions are then assaulted with the vision of a terrible beast tearing Cocoon apart. Soon after, the Vestige finally succumbs to the combined attacks of the Sanctum forces.

In the midst of the chaos, a memory surfaces from the depths of Snow's fading awareness: a marriage proposal made to his beloved Serah under a night sky lit with the colors of exploding fireworks. Can his wish for a happy future ever be granted now?

quote:

People: "Lightning" Farron

This former soldier was a member of the Guardian Corps, Bodhum Security Regiment. Last name: 'Farron'. She is known as 'Lightning', but her true name is a mystery.

Serah, her only family left in the world, has become a l'Cie. Lightning boards the Purge train in an effort to rescue her sister from the fal'Cie, but Serah turns to crystal right before her eyes. However, it is not long until Lightning herself becomes a fal'Cie servant.

She has lost her sister, and become a Pulse l'Cie—an enemy of Cocoon. What hope does she have left?

quote:

People: Snow Villiers

Without a family to take care of him, Snow was raised in a Sanctum facility. Now he leads the rebellious group of youths known as NORA.

To prevent his beloved Serah from becoming a Cie'th, he swears to help her fulfill her Focus. However, before they discover what that Focus is, Serah falls into a crystal slumber.

Now a l'Cie himself, Snow interprets his fiancée's last words as the task he must complete—saving Cocoon.

quote:

People: Sazh Katzroy

Sazh is a trained civilian airship pilot.

Though all of Cocoon's people view Pulse beings as invaders to be repulsed, few outside of the military decide to take matters into their own hands. What drives Sazh—an ordinary citizen—to attack the Pulse fal'Cie in the Hanging Edge?

After joining Lightning in her battle against the lowerworld entity, Sazh shares her fate in becoming a l'Cie.

quote:

People: Hope Estheim

Hope is a boy who, along with his mother, becomes a victim of the Purge.

Answering Snow's call for volunteers, Hope's mother joins the rebellion, but is killed in the subsequent conflict. From that moment onwards, the grief-stricken teen harbors a consuming hatred for the NORA leader.

With Vanille's encouragement, Hope follows Snow into the Pulse Vestige. Within those ancient chambers, they encounter the fal'Cie and are cursed with the brands of the l'Cie.

quote:

People: Vanille

Vanille is a young woman who was also aboard the Purge train. Irrepressibly cheerful, she seems unaffected by the desperate situation around her.

After being rescued by Snow and his band of rebels, Vanille ends up sitting next to Hope and his mother.

Following his mother's death, she sees the way the boy glares at the NORA leader. Vanille encourages Hope to join her and enter the Pulse Vestige, where they encounter the lowerworld fal'Cie.

quote:

People: Serah Farron

Serah is Lightning's younger sister. Despite losing both of her parents, she lives happily enough with her older sibling. Serah's only real concern is Lightning's disapproval of her boyfriend, Snow.

However, that all changes when she encounters the fal'Cie Anima and is branded as a Pulse l'Cie.

Without ever uncovering her task, she urges the others to save Cocoon before suddenly turning to crystal. Though he cannot know for sure, Snow believes her final words to be the Focus they must complete.

quote:

The Thirteen Days: Day 10 - Gifts

It would be Lightning's birthday in two days.

While out shopping for her present with Serah, Snow slipped away to buy engagement necklaces. He intended to propose to Serah the very next day. He knew her fate as a l'Cie, but meant to stand by her, no matter what.

Meanwhile, Serah searched for a gift that would help keep Lightning safe during her dangerous work as a soldier. After giving her sister the present, Serah planned to confess about becoming a l'Cie.

quote:

The Thirteen Days: Day 11 - Discovery

The Bodhum Vestige was a minor local landmark paid little regard. That changed on this night, when PSICOM discovered that the relic's long sealed entrance had somehow been opened.

A reconnaissance team was sent inside, reporting the discovery of a Pulse fal'Cie before communication links suddenly went silent. Deeming it probable that the soldiers have been made l'Cie, the Sanctum then resealed the door of the Vestige, trapping the team inside. The following day brought public announcement of both the discovery and plans for the Purge.

quote:

The Thirteen Days: Day 11 - Proposal

Snow proposed to Serah under the brightly exploding fireworks, giving her renewed hope for the future.

Serah still didn't know what her Focus was, and had yet to tell Lightning about her l'Cie curse. But with Snow by her side, there was no obstacle they couldn't overcome. Hand in hand, they watched the spectacle of lights illuminating in the night sky.

In Bodhum, there is a legend; if you wish on the fireworks, your dreams will come true.

quote:

History and Myth: Cie'th

When a fal'Cie takes a human to be one of its l'Cie servants, that person is given a Focus to be completed. Should the l'Cie fail to fulfill this Focus before his or her brand advances to its final stage, that l'Cie becomes a Cie'th.

Mired in eternal sorrow and regret, and robbed of all free will, Cie'th are damned to wander the world, unliving and undying, until their corrupted flesh at last can move no more. For Cie'th, there is no salvation.

quote:

History and Myth: Crystal Stasis

For l'Cie, successful completion of a Focus holds the promise of eternal life in the peaceful slumber of crystal stasis - or so the legends say. Yet to spend an eternity as an immobile crystal is not so very different from death. The people of Cocoon consequently fear being marked as a l'Cie, equating the fal'Cie's brand with a death sentence.

Faced with only the choice between eternal damnation as a Cie'th and eternal imprisonment in crystal, it comes as little surprise that many l'Cie decry their fate.

quote:

Locales: Pulse Vestiges

The fal'Cie sculpted Cocoon in antiquity, using resources harvested from the world below. When Cocoon's shell was fractured in the war, they repaired it with raw materials again gathered from Pulse - buildings chief among them. Remnants of these structures, termed Vestiges, can still be found throughout Cocoon today. The centuries-old Vestige outside of Bodhum was believed to be nothing more than a harmless curiosity. The discovery of a Pulse fal'Cie inside its walls proved this false, however, leading to the detainment and subsequent Purging of countless citizens whose only crime was being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

quote:

Locales: Bodhum

The modest city by the sea is the hometown of Lightning and Serah, as well as that of Snow and the members of NORA. Known for its relaxing, resort-like atmosphere, the location is a popular destination for vacationers.

Bodhum's largest tourist draw is its annual beachfront fireworks display, but this year's event was ruined by the discovery of the Pulse fal'Cie within the nearby Vestige. The Sanctum quarantined the city on the day after the discovery, announcing its plan to Purge Bodhum's entire population, along with the hapless tourists, to Pulse.

quote:

The Fal'Cie: Anima

This fal'Cie had been hibernating deep within the Bodhum Vestige. It branded Serah, as well as Lightning, Snow Villiers, and the others, condemning them all to the grim fate of Pulse l'Cie.

Although it appears Anima was brought to Cocoon in the Vestige centuries ago, Sanctum authorities had no knowledge of the alien stowaway's presence. Its discovery, and the resultant fear that Bodhum's population may have been tainted by its magic, spawned the Purge.

Artix fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 14, 2015

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

I figured it had to be that, since that's where it appears on the soundtrack listing, but good to know for confirmation's sake.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Oy, that's Chapter 5 poo poo. Tag it or remove it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Simply Simon posted:

Chance to get Phoenix Downs instead of Potions if you 5-star fights.

Just to point one small thing out, this already happens. Almost all of your basic soldiers have Phoenix Downs as their rare drop, and 5-starring a fight makes it more likely that you'll grab the rare drop in addition to the common one.

Instant Grat posted:

That big thingamajiggy after the Anima fight isn't Anima's true form :ssh: it's Pulse

Is it? Admittedly it's hard to say since I don't think the game ever explicitly says how the whole L'Cie branding thing works, but I'm pretty sure it's done by the Fal'Cie, not by one of the three actual gods. Or at least that was the impression I got, given what happens at the power plant. But if you say so, I'll trust you. I certainly don't have all the drat datalogs memorized.

theshim posted:

Lightning has already secured her best character status by punching Snow. This may change later but for now she is indisputably in the lead.

You are going to love Chapter 3.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

anilEhilated posted:

Gods = FFXIII writers?

Not...exactly, the "gods" thing is being pretty literal. We'll cover in it in a Chapter 4 video (Chapter 3 is already completely recorded), but the Final Fantasy XIII mythos has a capital-G God, gods, then the Fal'Cie (who are basically demigods), and their L'Cie servants at the bottom of the food chain.

Artix fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 11, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There are no explicit spoilers in that video, but given where we are in the story and what we know, I'd imagine that watching it would raise more questions than it answers. The answers to those questions are very much spoilers (although moreso for 13-2 than 13 proper), and that's all that I'm going to say with regards to the video.

Artix fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 13, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Cattail Prophet posted:

So could someone explain to me why exactly Square felt the need to make 'Lightning' a codename or whatever? I mean, her own sister calls her Lightning, why not just make it her actual name? It's obviously not for realism's sake, because Snow is apparently a perfectly legitimate name. While we're at it, do we ever actually find out that Lightning's a codename outside of the datalog?

I poo poo you not, it is a goddamn plot point in Chapter 11.

E: "Plot point" is probably giving it too much credit, it's used to emphasize a scene more than anything. But yes, the fact that Lightning has a real, much less stupid name is legitimately important.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 5: Crystalline Drifts and Paradigm Shifts (Polsy) :siren:

Music

Lake Bresha
Daddy's Got the Blues

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

Branded

After being caught in the destruction of the Vestige, the group awakens directly under the Hanging Edge on the expanse of a solidified Lake Bresha. An after-effect of the energies released by the dying fal'Cie, the waters of the lake are now frozen in crystal splendor.

Despite having survived a fall from an incredible height, the companions are unable to appreciate their luck as each one of them now bears a brand of alien design. The mark seared on their bodies signifies their servitude to a fal'Cie and the 'gift' of magical power.

It is the brand of a cursed l'Cie. Worse, they must now complete their assigned Focus if they are to avoid becoming monstrous Cie'th, though none can say for sure what their mission actually entails. Their only clue is the vision they all witnessed of the great beast laying waste to Cocoon.

Ragnarok.

Though all signs point to a bleak and tragic destiny, Snow alone remains optimistic. Convinced that his Focus is to grant Serah's wish and save Cocoon, he sets off full of confidence.

quote:

A Vision Shared

Now that they are Pulse l'Cie, Lightning and the others try to figure out what their Focus could be. The only thing they know for certain is that the rampaging beast Ragnarok is somehow involved.

Snow is convinced that their Focus is to protect their world by defeating the beast. But one fact contradicts this belief: Pulse l'Cie are the hated enemies of Cocoon. A Pulse fal'Cie would never assign such a task to its servants.

Lightning is infuriated by Snow's refusal to accept this logic. As she sees it, the fal'Cie not only made them into l'Cie, it also took her sister from her. The former soldier could never bring herself to meekly follow the orders of such a being, and Snow's apparent surrender to its will, however misinterpreted, is more than she can stand.

As they trade heated words, Sanctum soldiers surround their location. Arguments will have to wait—for now, they must concentrate on surviving.

quote:

Partings and Promises

Is she dead or merely sleeping?

Serah, now a silent statue, is trapped in a crystal embrace. Lightning doesn't wish to leave her behind, but reluctantly says her farewells. The army is on their trail. If they stop to dig Serah free, their pursuers will certainly catch them.

However, Snow is not ready to say good-bye. He elects to stay behind, protect Serah, and somehow fulfill her wish to save Cocoon.

Knowing they cannot change his mind, Lightning and the others continue on their way. Hope drags himself away from Snow for what might be the final time—and the chance to say what he is burning to say is lost.

quote:

History and Myth: Ragnarok

Lightning, Snow, and the others saw a phantom vision of this beast upon their branding as l'Cie. In the dream, they witnessed the creature besieging Cocoon's capital of Eden, but whether this was a glimpse of past events or a vision of things to come was unclear. What is clear is that Ragnarok is inextricably linked to their Focus. The nature of that Focus, and what must be done to fulfill it, remains to be seen.

quote:

Locales: Lake Bresha

Lake Bresha is located near Cocoon's outer rim, directly beneath the Hanging Edge. Once a bustling center of activity, this desolate area is now home only to monsters that lurk amongst the centuries-old remnants of civilization.

The final wave of power released by the falling Pulse fal'Cie has locked the waters of the lake in solid crystal form, creating a beautiful and unsettling landscape.

quote:

Cocoon Society: Sanctum Fal'Cie

The Sanctum fal'Cie are the unfathomable entities that constructed the floating shell of Cocoon in ages past, and even now watch over the world's human inhabitants. Each is assigned a specific task that supports the existence of Cocoon's grateful populace, such as generating energy or manufacturing food. The fal'Cie rarely intervene directly in the governing of society, leaving that responsibility to appointed human representatives. One theory states that, including the lower hierarchy, the total number of Sanctum fal'Cie exceeds eight million.

quote:

Cocoon Society: Guardian Corps

The Guardian Corps is the branch of the Sanctum military responsible for maintaining peace and stability within Cocoon.

Within their assigned jurisdictions, the soldiers of the Guardian Corps fulfill the role of the police officers and protectors, working to eliminate all manner of criminal activity as well as rampaging wildlife. As a unit that works alongside the general population, it rarely employs heavy weaponry or cruiser-class ships. However, the Corps does retain squads of highly mobile shock troops.

quote:

Cocoon Society: Bodhum Security Regiment

The Bodhum Security Regiment is a section of the Guardian Corps stationed in the coastal community of Bodhum. Before the events of the Purge, Lightning belonged to this unit.

Public security issues rarely arose in the sleepy seaside town, and with little trouble from the local fauna, the regiment was one of the least active units of the Corps. During long spans of downtime, BSR troops were often sent to aid in exterminating dangerous wildlife in frontier regions.

Artix fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 14, 2015

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

anilEhilated posted:

Uh-huh. I didn't mean gag her and remove her from the plot (appealing as that may be), just not having to see her maniacal gestures everytime we fight.

Nope, we're stuck with her because Hope has yet to find his balls and start actually fighting.

quote:

This is actually why I like Snow (so far, mind you, this LP is the extent of what I know about this game). Lightning is too anime to be believable, Vanille and Hope are just obnoxious but Snow - I can kinda get him (provided he's like seventeen for the whole hero fetish thing to not be too awkward, but you never know with them animes). He's a complete fuckup with a lot of ideals; funnily enough that reminds of Cloud (whom I, at the possible cost of my hypothetical goonrep, genuinely like)more than anything the supposed Cloud 2.0 did so far.

As previously mentioned Snow and Lightning are 21. Hope is 14, Vanille is 19, Serah is 18, and Sazh is like 40-ish? He's 42 in 13-2.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yes, thank you, the point has been made. While perhaps not the majority, a substantial number of FF characters are gainfully employed in one way or another.

Blastinus posted:

One annoying thing you didn't mention about the Paradigm Shift...

Well we do but not for another video or-

quote:

...though is that in every single battle, shifting for the first time will be considerably slower, since the camera focuses on each party member as they do a silly pose. Every other shift is just a quick flash, but if you need to shift for the first time, expect to be waiting for about ten seconds while enemies are still whacking away at you. Most battles, I just shifted right at the start to get the animation over with, because in a lot of later fights, your health bar is going to vanish in the blink of an eye, and you don't want to be just standing there.

That loving Sned posted:

I wish there was some visual indication when enough time had passed so that your next paradigm shift will start off with a full bar. There's no reason that should be a hidden mechanic, since it encourages shifting paradigms in the first place. If you don't know about this and shift too often, then you won't get the instant full bar, and will be fighting inefficiently.

Believe it or not guys, we don't have to air every single mechanic of the system the second it's available. We have 5 more chapters where relatively little is added to the system, and I was planning on hitting some of the more interesting quirks like ATB resetting then.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Did I miss where Lightning was branded? Everyone else showed a brand, she did not. (And she did mysteriously talk a door into opening.) Suspicious.

Lightning's brand is on her chest, you can see where the beam...thing hit her during the cutscene at the end of Chapter 2.

Artix fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 14, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Nihilarian posted:

Is it three or four?

Technically four, but our ability to use Sentinel left with Snow, so we're stuck with Ravager, Commando, and Medic (which are the "before stagger", "after stagger", and "emergency" roles, respectively).

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Fedule posted:

Well this is The Dilemma, isn't it? It's not reasonable to expect people to always keep quiet about every little thing that might come up in a video. Besides, maybe sometimes we'll legit forget something and it'll be down to y'all to point it out. All I can really ask is, just keep in mind that we're rationing mechanics tidbits. I don't think Artix is gonna lock the thread because someone ~spoiled~ that stagger time varies based on how fast the gauge is emptying when the enemy is staggered (we mention this next video).

If I may expand on this, the game does throw you right into things, but it also gives you the entirety of chapters 3 and 4 to play around with the system and see how things work together before it really starts expecting you to have things down. I've deliberately set up the videos in such a way that we really only introduce one big thing per video to let us actually talk about how it all works to sort of mimic this learning process. We could have spent the first two videos talking about every single nuance in the system, but that wouldn't be very informative to you as the viewer, nor would it leave us much to talk about until Chapter 9 when the next big thing gets introduced.

Basically, what I'm saying is this: if we missed talking about an aspect of the battle system or some other mechanic, give us at least until the end of Chapter 4 before you jump in and tell us how we totally forgot to mention this or that - we very well might have, but it's probably in one of those videos that just hasn't been posted yet.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 6: Tri-Disastrous (Polsy) :siren:

Music

The Pulse L'Cie

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

Casting the Net

Lightning and the others leave Snow behind with the crystallized Serah. As they continue their flight across the glassy expanse of Lake Bresha, the four companions spy a large contingent of Sanctum soldiers.

In order to hunt down and exterminate the Purge fugitives, the government is mobilizing an inordinate number of troops. The excessive reaction is further proof of Cocoon's fear and hatred of Pulse. Even those who have barely come into contact with lowerworld elements cannot be permitted to exist.

This all-consuming fear of some imagined corruption is the origin of the Purge. The entire population of a town was subjected to the Purge simply for living near the uncovered Pulse fal'Cie.

It was Cocoon's citizens, in their terror, who allowed such an extreme policy to become a reality — the government simply acted in response to the will of the people. And Eden, the fal'Cie who guides the Sanctum, gave its tacit consent through silence.

Now, after untold bloodshed, a military net is closing around the fleeing l'Cie, driven by the clamoring of a panicked and angry populace.

quote:

The Fal'Cie: Eden

The namesake of Cocoon's capital, this fal'Cie directs the others of its kind who support the world's day-to-day existence. While Cocoon's other fal'Cie do not communicate with humans, Eden does. Presiding over the Sanctum's otherwise human administration, the fal'Cie is known to issue orders to the Primarch and step in to correct political gaffes on occasion.

As the sole operational nexus linking untold numbers of fal'Cie, it is not unthinkable that the loss of Eden could spell the end of Cocoon itself.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Wait, Libra of all things is limited by a gauge?

Every decision in this game confuses me more and more.

In fairness, you don't ever have to use cast Libra. In addition to the AI noting weaknesses/resistances as it tries various things, the Libra screen will simply fill itself out as you fight more and more of that type of enemy. Even if you go into it completely blank, by the time you get through two or three encounters, the screen will probably have filled itself out on its own. Casting Libra simply gives you a jump start on it.

Wild Knight posted:

I dunno if that works for SMT, but for a game that encourages you to play around with different characters and their combat roles, game over upon the party leader's death is awful. You are locked to that leader character for better or for worse, and the game doesn't account for that fact. Artix mentioned the Winddrones, or whatever they were called, basically being able to two-shot you - if they decide to do it to an AI party member, you can recover from that. If they decide to do it to your character? gently caress you game over. The battles feel out of your control when, at any point, the enemies could decide to gang up on you and there's not a lot you can do to mitigate it. At least not now?

My main point of contention with this is that L2 and R2 are unused in combat. How hard would it have been to have those shuffle control of your character? Seriously.

To be fair, the Watchdrones are more a matter of our low max HP right now than anything else. They'll show up again in Chapter 4, and Lightning at 3/4 HP will tank two Electrokicks to the face and keep on going. We also (theoretically) could have made use of a Sentinel, who not only come with a variety of guarding skills that reduce damage, but also come with Provoke (which does exactly what you think it does).

Credit where it's due though: Of the tweaks that 13-2 made to the battle system, the big ones were getting rid of the game over bullshit and letting you switch which party member you control on the fly.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Happy Easter, folks. Unfortunately, scheduling conflicts kept us from recording commentary this week (Fedule is busy with his final year project, he has a bit more detail over in the VLR thread) but I took the opportunity to record the entirety of Chapter 4 (which will be four updates, for the record) so it's just a matter of editing and laying down commentary.

Update tomorrow to finish off Chapter 3 - there may or may not be a second update this week depending on how quickly we can get commentary done.

Artix fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 21, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 7: Slippery Summons (Polsy) :siren:

Music

A Brief Respite
Eidolons
Cavalry Theme
Escape!
Crash Landing

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

The Only Way Is Up

Lightning and the others are now cursed l'Cie. If they don't complete the Focus given to them by the fal'Cie, they are destined to become mindless Cie'th.

But how can they complete a Focus that they don't understand?

Their shared vision of the great beast Ragnarok laying waste to their world is their only clue. That, and the fact that Pulse l'Cie are held to be the mortal enemies of Cocoon...

Could their Focus really be to orchestrate the destruction of their own home?

Snow doesn't think so.

He believes their task is to fulfill Serah's parting wish by keeping Cocoon safe. After all, wasn't she a l'Cie, just like them? His shaky logic only serves to infuriate Lightning, who holds him responsible for her sister's fate. Their confrontation is cut short by the arrival of their Sanctum pursuers.

Having made their escape, Lightning and the others pass through the ruins of a city damaged several centuries ago in the war with Pulse.

Amidst the rubble, they happen upon an airship which they board in the hope of finally shaking the relentless army.

Snow, meanwhile, remains being with the crystallized Serah...

quote:

The Twin Sisters

There is no doubt in Snow's mind.

They may be Pulse l'Cie, but there is no way they can be enemies of Cocoon. Serah's last words before she turned to crystal are proof enough for him that their Focus is to defeat Ragnarok and protect their world.

Snow stays behind to defend his trapped fiancée after Lightning and the others decide to continue onward.

Brought to his knees by wave after wave of PSICOM soldiers during a protracted battle, the desperate young man is suddenly overcome by a strange phenomenon.

The Twin Sisters of Shiva, Stiria and Nix, appear before him in a blinding flash of light. They easily dispatch the remaining troops, and then turn on Snow.

He manages to defeat the icy Eidolons, but is soon captured by an unfamiliar Sanctum unit.

A striking woman accompanies the soldiers — a woman with a l'Cie brand.

Meanwhile, try as they might, Lightning's group cannot shake their determined pursuers. Crippled by enemy fire, their airship plummets toward the ground...

quote:

People: Mysterious Woman

A mysterious woman captures Snow on Lake Bresha after his exhausting battle with PSICOM and the Twin Sisters. She bears the mark of a l'Cie but, her brand appears scorched and twisted.

As a servant of Pulse she should be fleeing the Sanctum army, but she seems to be working with one of the military's units.

quote:

People: Galenth Dysley (See: "Space Pope")

Galenth Dysley is the Primarch—the human representative of the Sanctum. Acting as a bridge between the fal'Cie Eden and a citizen-elected council, he facilitates the government of Cocoon.

Until now, he has been seen as a conservative leader, never forcing the direction of the council, and always having the best interests of the people at heart. But with the discovery of the Pulse fal'Cie in Bodhum, his leadership becomes ruthless and oppressive, with the Purge policy being instigated over the span of a single night.

quote:

History and Myth: Eidolons

These mystical entities reveal themselves before only a select few l'Cie. It is said that they are saviors, come to rescue helpless l'Cie who find themselves bound to a Focus against their will. If this is true, they offer a salvation few indeed would seek willingly: without exception, Eidolons attack the l'Cie whose presence they grace.

There have been no l'Cie in Cocoon for centuries, and as a result, no way of determining the truth behind tales of these beings. To the citizens of Cocoon, they remain the stuff of bedtime stories.

quote:

The Fal'Cie: Phoenix

Cocoon's own light in the sky, Phoenix is a Sanctum fal'Cie tasked with providing warmth and illumination. It floats at the center of Cocoon's inner atmosphere like a miniature sun, bathing the surrounding world in its radiant glow.

It is the fal'Cie who are responsible for Cocoon's climate, regularly adjusting weather as deemed necessary. Just as Phoenix regulates daylight, other subordinate fal'Cie maintain patterns of wind and precipitation.

Artix fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 14, 2015

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Cattail Prophet posted:

Anyway, how do we (and Snow) know that the Mysterious Woman isn't a Sanctum L'cie? Are the brands different or something? And don't say "because the datalog said so."

Correct. I don't think a Sanctum brand is ever shown in-game, but they are different. (Sanctum on the left, Pulse on the right)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Wild Knight posted:

Yeah, there's no way the Shiva designs were not approved with a round of high-fives and a six-pack of beer by a bunch of dudes who thought it was edgy or hot.

Were the Eidolon battles infuriatingly difficult for anyone else? You seemed to do pretty okay in the video, Artix, but the Doom timer seemed punishingly fast for me and I had to retry this beginning fight like three times, which seemed ridiculous for the fight that's supposed to be the tutorial for the system. I like the concept, but Doom seemed to barely give me any time to actually fill the gestalt gauge.

Don't worry, I make up for it in the next one.

SSNeoman posted:

I heard it from Azure_Horizon so it must be.

We do not speak of that name.

...Admittedly, if he did say it, I'd be more inclined to believe it. That said, when your theory involves Lightning and Serah being incestuous lesbians...yeah, I'm gonna say that's probably not the intention. This is a game where the kiss between Snow and Serah last chapter is the most overtly romantic thing that happens.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rita Repulsa posted:

Dorsn't hope count as the ignorant character, since he's just a kid and his attachment to this sitution is his tough mom died

Hope is by no means ignorant - thrown into a lovely situation, absolutely, but he's at least on a level of awareness of how everything works on par with most of the party. Vanille is the only one who seems legitimately clueless about the state of the world, and even then she knows enough of the stories about L'Cie to get by, which is good enough for the situation that the party is in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Are you guys going to talk about item progression next? I think you've just unlocked it story wise.

Nah, we've got Saboteurs and Synergists to cover first. Item Upgrading won't be unlocked until two updates from now and even then I'm not going to touch it until we have something that's actually worth upgrading.

On the note of future updates, we got two videos recorded yesterday but I haven't had a chance to do any audio editing yet, so we're not going to have a second update this week. I'll try to get the next update out a little earlier (Sunday, maybe?), but no promises.

• Locked thread