Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pocketwatch posted:

Am I the only person who kinda likes Snow? By comparison Serah's boring, Lightning's bitter and whiny, Vanille's good cheer sounds incredibly insincere to me, and Hope's blaming Lightning over his mom rather than, you know, the men who were shooting at her. At least Snow is trying to fix things and not depress everyone. Sazh is still the best though, for representing my lack of interest in the rest of the group.

Snow was the one character who I actually wound up hating even more through replaying the game. Going back and restarting the story with all the cards on the table helped me see all the characters and their actions in a new light that made all of them more or less more understandable... Except for Snow. He just comes across as an even bigger thoughtless tool the more you know about him. The only appealing thing about his character for me is that Troy Baker could make a reading of the Septic Tank Cleaning Services section of the Yellowpages sound charismatic and appealing.

The only thing that sustained me through his character arc on my second playthrough was the schadenfreude factor and the perverse glee of watching everything go catastrophically wrong for a man who is the root cause of nearly all his own and others problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

How Rude posted:

Do you guys honestly expect a sheltered, dumb kid that is barely a teenager to NOT act like, well, a sheltered and dumb kid? :confused:
Realistically a sheltered millennial who is probably too attached to his mother and secure lifestyle would react exactly as Hope is reacting. (running from the huge monster, flipping the gently caress out at all the freak-a-zoids around him, making increasingly stupid and bad decisions in a confused stupor, etc.) Not to mention all the people whining about Hope, well, WHINING, but gently caress if my anime character shows grief and is instead a bubbly/determined fairy character in fantasy land right off the bat(Snow).

Except for that stupid loving "Snow killed my mom but I'm not going to talk about it until 10 hours into the game!" bullshit :mad:, I don't really mind Hope that much as a character. Also random exposition. This game really LOVES random exposition from different characters.

Well, in all fairness, Hope only had like two or three chances to talk to Snow where he wasn't doing his delusional Don Quixote impression before they're separated for said 10 hour stretch. And even then, Snow is a human brick and Hope could barely string two words together while his mother was alive, so yeah of course they're going to suck as communicating with one another and--I can't believe I'm devil's advocating this game. :doh:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Annoying Assassin posted:

Is it ever explained why the other Fal'cie cannot speak but Eden can?

No. I don't think its a matter of ability so much as it is a matter of choice. Then again, when you're busy producing an entire city's food supply with nothing but your thoughts all day every day, would you want to waste your time chatting it up with every I do two wandered into your special area?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

So, what, Cocoon is a mini-Dyson Sphere? Is that a thing?

...Technically. I'm pretty sure the only thing keeping it functioning as a viable living space for humans with air and gravity and water and other stuff is the will of the fal'Cie alone. It's completely off its tits bonkers.

And according to the writers, apparently Cocoon has an equivalent surface area to that of North America if you rolled the entire continent and surrounding ocean area up into a gigantic ball and tossed it into the upper atmosphere.

So yeah, it's completely insane. Just like everything else in the game. :eng101:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

Anyway, how do we (and Snow) know that the Mysterious Woman isn't a Sanctum L'cie? Are the brands different or something? And don't say "because the datalog said so."

There's a reason her brand is hosed up compared to the party's brands, but it's all spoilers and is only sort of touched on near the end of the game. But all I can say right now is, yeah her brand should not look like that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm always mystified on how things like that get through testing.

"Hey, does anybody else think that the Shiva sisters look like they're... you know?"

"Nope".

Oh well!

If anything it's:

"Hey, does anybody else think that the Shiva sisters look like they're... you know?"

"Hell yeah they do! APPROVED!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

As part of Square's new initiative, every game they publish will now feature Lightning. In Final Fantasy XV's case, it's a story about how Noctis falls in love with her.

Now you're just being hyperbolic and ridiculous. Square will never publish Final Fantasy XV.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

Wait, what's this?

Oh god it keeps happening :shepface:

The same thing happened to me with White Knight Chronicles. All of the sudden the Japanese version appeared out of nowhere in front of me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well by wait I mean it doesn't resolve or even appear until 13-2.

Final Fantasy XIII-2: You will believe a fist-sized yellow bird... ... ...will sexually confuse you to an impossible degree.

Artix, if you even make it XIII-2, you need to have everyone sing along with all the background tracks too, because I'm pretty sure that like 90% of the game's soundtrack has accompanying vocals for some truly baffling reason.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The plot of the game becomes instantly more amusing if you imagine that the fal'Cie were consciously written to be as idiotic as they are malicious, like they're all secretly Joffrey Baratheon or something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
This is what you get for involving me in this. All my LPs have hilarious failure as their metanarative, and its bled into your's and Fedule's LP now too.

Although, in all fairness I caught the hardware failure bug from Lazyfire, who caught it from Tin Tim, who in turn picked it up from KalonZombie. You're just the latest victims of it. :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

Its strange, Final Fantasy games in the past were filled with trite things, like blood type and other minutia. They didn't even bother with that bit of trivia. Just "Hey, this guy is tall" and "Hey, he's a jive mother" and "She's an anime"

In Japan, its an old cultural myth that blood type determined personality. It was character profile shorthand for "he's the hero" or "he's kind of an rear end in a top hat", etc that was lost when it was translated. :eng101:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rita Repulsa posted:

"the millitary is no match for NORA!"
They named hopes mother after nora just so they could have this line.
Hopes entire family probably has names predestined for future unintended wordplay.

Now, see, it's poo poo like that that gives me a little more sympathy for Hope than the average player has. Not only does the kid lose his mother to Snow's jackass stupidity, and gets branded with both a death curse/apocalyptic mission of destruction and social pariah status, he's also victim of cruel little fates like this and having a name that inspires people to essentially tell him to cheer the gently caress up about how terminally screwed he is every 20 minutes.

I guarantee you that if all that poo poo happened to me at 14, I'd probably want to shank someone too.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 11, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

I actually went over to spoony's site and watched all six of his FF13 videos thanks to you. I stopped following him years ago so I had no idea he had even made them. I would recommend anyone that doesn't care about being spoiled to go watch them. This game is certainly going places. I can't even imagine what FF13-2 is like if it's seriously worse. :stare:

I admit they're not as good as his FFVIII / FFX/X-2 reviews were, but yeah I maintain that full-on meltdown he has over the crafting system is just pure magic. :allears:

If you're looking for a less ranty, more academic breakdown of why XIII was so spectacularly terrible, I'd also recommend MarzGurl's Final Fantasy XIII Review. Though standard caveats apply: it's spoilers as all gently caress, and it's also unfinished and will very likely never actually be finished, but what is there is definitely fodder for discussion once the LP gets to the real meat of the stupid game.

Also, she coins the term "Surge of Durrberus," which is just awesome.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Fang/Hope/Lightning is one of the best 3 man party combos by the end of the game. I don't know if they are the "best" or if technically there is a better combination but it's what i used from the time you are allowed to until the end of the game i had no problems at all.

This. ^^^

I said in the commentary for this video that Fang became a mainstay of my party from the moment you could choose your own party onward in the game, but the party I used the most without fail was Fang/Lightning/Hope. The only variation was whether Fang or Lightning was my party leader at any given time (because I sure as poo poo wasn't putting Hope in charge of the party).

It's the party I 5-starred the the final boss with without even really trying. So there's that. (And that's a trophy/achievement feat in this game too.)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

I think in this universe, the Art of War is a pop up coloring book. The farthest you could have a sniper from its target is one end of the page to the edge of the next page.

If I wasn't completely busy this afternoon, I would totally photoshop Jihl Nabaat's Big Book of War right now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Here's another example of "everything on Cocoon is conspiring to kick Hope in the metaphorical nuts": Snow points out that Hope's family home is in the Felix Heights neighbourhood of Palumpolum. Well, Felix is also Latin for "happy" and/or "lucky"--two things Hope hasn't been in a good long while. :eng101:

That said, I've sort of been wondering ever since I first played the game whether or not Palumpolum itself was supposed to be a veiled critique of American suburban "everything is awesome :haw:" consumerism? Because it feels like the game is just one beat away from going into Paul Verhoeven satire territory and becoming something awesome like Robocop, Total Recall, or Starship Troopers whenever it pulls back the veil on Cocoon society like that... and it just never arrives.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

quote:

Things are made even more difficult by Hope's rebellious age and unreasoning resentment towards his dad.

Well I'm glad this is called out somewhere in the game. Bartholomew is the most normal, level-headed and rational character in XIII and I was glad to see Hope realize the majority of his problems with his dad were his own fault to begin with.

It's just too bad that the rest of the game couldn't be this on-point with its character development.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I want a blooper reel for this game where things happen like Snow's moving speech to the enemy troops gets interrupted by them shooting him hundreds of times.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

To be fair you get shot hundreds of times during gameplay and it barely stings. Snow may actually have been able to survive all those bullets.

theshim posted:

Especially if he was using :byodood: Steelguard :byodood:

I'll just leave this here.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Seeing Ifrit, Ramuh and what I'm guessing was Valefor was neat too, though I'm still wondering what those dancing fire and water girls were, if anything (Shiva for water? But we already have Shiva...)

Also, I'm pretty sure that was Shemhazai guest starring as Ragnarok.

EDIT:

^^^^ AKA: Another taste of Final Fantasy XIII-2.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 11, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Vanille's brand is also farther along its development than everyone else's. She usually has an extra arrow on hers compared to the rest of the party's.

The only thing I don't get is why she's present in the cutscene when Pulse brands the party. Did he give her a new brand/Focus? Did he just double tap the one he already gave her? Or did he just realize halfway through "oh poo poo, I did you already. Whoops. My bad."?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Especially since getting as many ranfom people branded as possible was Serah's Focus to begin with.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well, in all fairness, he always did have that kind of creepy Hummel figurine look to him. That just sort of crystallized it, for lack of a better term.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
If anything, Rosch is more comparable to Ramsus from Xenogears. A handsome, well-spoken, silver-haired, sword-wielding, seemingly credible threat of a villain who is slowly undermined by the incompetence those around him and himself and whose single-minded obsession with killing the protagonists proves to be his undoing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
And THIS is why I said that PSICOM was a bunch of glue-eating morons in the commentary for chapter 7, because they all willingly work for Jihl goddamm Nabaat. :doh:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BrightWing posted:

Your suffering should be short lived at any rate.

You seen to be forgetting, HE'S PLAYING FINAL FANTASY XIII! The suffering never ends.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
That's my thought too. There's a decent story here, it's just hampered by incompetent execution.

Bart's master plan pretty much boils down to saying "you have no choice :troll:" over and over again and banking on everyone just accepting it eventually.

But because Square didn't have the nads to actually pull a "the heroes refuse to help the villain win and just stop hero'ing", we get... well, it's spoilers, but :drat:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
RoboPope's robo rowboat.

Try saying that three times fast.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also, Artix, I'm incredibly disappointed that you didn't title this updated Space Pope: Hope to Hope. :colbert: Missed opportunity.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Here's something semi-pertinent to the LP and the discussion in latest video: guess what Square's doing instead of (probably) not working on Final Fantasy XV? Coming up with a way to stream Final Fantasy XIII and its sequels to your cellphone (for a daily rental fee)!

Isn't that just amazing everyone?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

Knowing that this is all to blame on Fal'Cie, and how they're massive mind-loving dicks. I'm sure there's only 2 or 3 Arks. One named "Fifth Ark" and the second "Tenth Ark, Mk. II"

Well, if it worked for :human being:...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Microcline posted:

It is a science fact that the two best level types in video games are

-Superweapon labs/factories/hangers
-Ancient techno-citadels

Squeenix made a level that's both of these and still managed to gently caress it up.

I'll see your Firth Ark and raise you a Dämmerung Restricted Area in Xenosaga Epiosde II. Monolith buggered up the whole Superweapon Factory/Hanger dungeon nearly half a decade before Square got around to it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

Is that the one with the time limit? That killed any motivation for me to finish the game, or even consider picking up III.

That's the U-Tic fortress you're thinking of, the dungeon that comes immediately after the Dammerung. You didn't miss much. Episode II got all kinds of bullshit stupid after that point... which I say like it wasn't already.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

The contest should be the last person to yell "not it!" wins

"Not it"

Not it!

Also, BRING ME OFFERINGS OF lovely FFXIII PC MODS! :agesilaus:

Because you just know that once XIII hits Steam there's gonna be a whole cottage industry cropping up dedicated to "fixing" the game 8-years post-facto.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 18, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fedule posted:

Tests have shown my speeds to hold around 3Mbps down and 0.5 up. (I'm pretty sure my house is made of lead)

Tentatively declaring "don't panic".

Also known as "Canadian Internet speed." :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The fal'Cie's plot is pretty much "I'll hold my breath until I get what I want (or pass out from asphyxiation)". Only when they pass out... everyone dies.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I like how Cid Raines' armor has a little necktie shape built into it. It's important to look professional.

The question then is, is that better or worse than Bartholomew's burnished steel necklace tie?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shei-kun posted:

So... I have a question.

Do we have an actual plot yet?

:catholic:: Blow up Cocoon.
:j:: No.
:j:: Bite me.
:byodood:: SERAH!!!
:dawkins101:: ...You loving--

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Aaaand we have a thread title for the Lightning Returns LP: "Oh god, I give up..." - Fedule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fedule posted:

But Lightning Returns is a good game that I like.

Yes, but will you still feel that way after Artix keelhauls you through XIII-2 to get there? :cheeky:

• Locked thread