Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
FFXII's bestiary was great. But heck, even FFVIII, with its huge font and low res, gave you a sentence of flavour to go with Scan, if I remember correctly. Before that, Scan just gave HP and weaknesses mostly because it scrolled in the top of the window and there was no room for anything else. Seeing most of the monsters marked as "Unremarkable" when you have so much space is just saddening. And the one monster that wasn't Unremarkable had something like "Particularly low HP", which you could actually see for yourself in the same screen.

At least the policy of repeating things like every player is amnesiac is not limited to plot. You could even call it consistency. :goleft:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Sydin posted:

Also wow, I forgot about Sazh's nerves of steel. He's been with Lightning for a bit here and knows what kind of anime battle bullshit she's capable of, but when he sees Serah is a La'Cie he goes straight for his gun even though he has to know it's bound to set Lightning off.

Nerves of steel are one explanation, I just thought he was being dumb and forgetting major plot points because you've gotta write that dialogue about SOMETHING.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

If I recall correctly, at the beginning of the game Vanille gave him a rifle as a ~symbol of responsibility~, which he notably did nothing with.

Irresponsibly giving Hope various symbolic weapons that he's never going to use seems to be a recurring theme in the plot. The fact that his actual combat weapon is something that's never explained or seen in the cutscenes and literally comes out of his rear end is just the icing on the cake.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

90% of the game's soundtrack has accompanying vocals for some truly baffling reason.

Final Fantasy XIII-2: The World Ends With Lightning?

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

I love how that elevator you called down didn't even lower all the way down. Somebody who couldn't leap three metres into the air could never use it. And then it went up and stopped between levels, so you had to leap again just to get off.

What I'm saying is, no wonder the crew wear jetpacks.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Artix posted:

Personally I would have preferred Vanille over Lightning, but it'll do.

Remember Vanille's battle moans and reconsider.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

It should have been awesome to fight and win against an entire room of basically Ultima Weapons, but of course they were made into identical sacks of HP.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

I think the reason Alexander comes off as so hilarious is that all the other summons are super dynamic. Alexander is obviously a slow, lumbering type, but then you'd at least expect a rocket or something, not a literally immobile wall.

Here's my suggestion for a much better Alexander Gestalt Mode:

Aithon fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 2, 2014

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

In a game with better story and character direction than this i would argue "Lighting doesn't WANT to be Claire because Claire couldn't protect Serah,let alone herself, from becoming a L'Cie and wants to leave her old life behind and be the best soldier she can be because of that'

That was the exact story behind Squall in Kingdom Hearts. Are you saying that even Kingdom Hearts has a better story and character direction than FF13?

...Yeah, sounds about right.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

So why did Etro even become ruler of the Afterlife again, if Bunnyverse's mom was there longer and was probably more qualified for it? :confused:

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Huh? It's been a long while since I played Revenant Wings, but I remember enjoying it a lot, largely because of all the different summons I could summon and then mix and match. Difficulty-wise, I remember replaying some bonus boss a whole lot, but I was stubborn enough as a teenager that I did get through in the end. I didn't have a lot of other RTS experience then, though. (I still don't.)

I wonder why there aren't other RTSes for DS/3DS. It would seem that touch controls would be a natural fit for them. Are there even any other than RW?

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

LeafyOrb posted:

Snow & Cactuar's adventures IN TIME

This only confirms that this would be a much better game with Snow as one of the protagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

On the other hand, guns in the 13 series look big and flashy, but are like the weakest things in the games so far. I'd say they're perfect for gilgamesh.
To be fair, this is something of a jRPG tradition. You wouldn't be able to have a mandatory sword-wielding protagonist if guns worked like they do in real life. Armies stopped using anything larger than a knife or bayonet for a reason.

Hell, FF8 even says that its guns suck outright. Irvine's first weapon has the description:

Final Fantasy VIII posted:

Guns have the advantages of range, but damage is less compared to swords. The Valiant uses powerful bullets to cause damage comparable to swords.
And that game doesn't even have rows, so the remark about range is completely irrelevant. :v:

• Locked thread