Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

edit: i'm an idiot that didn't read the op about the other games so i'm getting rid of this just in case:v:

So i'll just talk about the actual game we're on, i think it's interesting that so many people in this thread are so divisive on what characters they like/don't like. Some think Hope is fine compared to Vanille, some think opposite, some think Lightning is better than Snow (which they are totally right) so can't get over Light's "So i'm so cool and stoic" atittude while they think Snow is a big dumb idiot (which he is, even if he has good intentions).

I don't know if that's just because of the batshit way the game handles it's character development or if people are just insane, or maybe both!

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

They're color based, so you get used to it after a bit. Plus when you're finally able to switch them around yourself you can put it wherever on the list.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I believe the Japanese version calls Ravagers "Blasters"

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Oh come on, the tracks with lyrics are the best tracks of both this and 13-2.

13-2 also has the angry electro-trance club mix of every song when you're about to fight something that is better than the original but you can only hear it for about 5-6 seconds at a time. Why Square,why :(

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

So havign finally caught up entirely with both this and the FBK LP's, i now kinda wonder what roles Yugi and Kaiba would have in this universe :v:

About Vanille, i had not know about the voice acting director told thee actress to "just make the same noises as the japanese actress did" which really, really explains alot about just the andom noises she makes constantly, is that really a big thing that "cute" characters over there do?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

So i know it was quite a while ago that he did this, but watching a SpoonyOne video reminded me that he had reviewed this game! I won't link to review because it has spoilers in it (plus the first 2-3 parts are him just being loving nitpicky), but it reminded me that i read in the now defunct Spoonywatch thread (back when his mental breakdown and leaving of Channel Awesome was the hottest internet news) that apparently he wanted to the Harry Plinkett Star Wars thing where he would have people describe a character without actually saying their name or their job description, thus proving a point that these characters are terrible.

But unfortunately for him people actually COULD describe these characters using these restrictions so he had to throw out that whole bit of the review and he got a little mad about it on twitter.

It was either that or he wanted to do that same thing but with the music in some way? I don't really remember exactly unfortunately.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Rita Repulsa posted:

Sounds really shortsighted.
The point of the exercise wasn't that it was a watermark for if something is good or bad, it was to show the phantom menace characters in particular are nonentities with no personal appeal, no personality.

xiii's characters do have personality. Very one note one dimensional personalities, one trait each that they each adhere to almost robotically, but that still passes the test.

A much better explanation that i gave! I've not seen the review in a long time, but i knew it was something to do with the characters and that's about it :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I am so excited for the Bahamut brothers turning into a little tricycle for Hope!

That is a thing isn't it? I wish it were.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I don't know how much more you would want me to say about it but his is the only one that is unique to this game right? I can't think of any other appearances off the top of my head anyway. But like you said, there's plenty of time for ridiculousness so i'll just leave it at that.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

LifeSquare Enix finds a way.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Oh yes, he'll use that move "Fly, Enkidu!" from 12, and then given this is ATB he'll throw Hope at the enemies multiple times in the spanw of a view seconds.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I LOVED the Odin tutorial fight cutscene

Lighting: You got my back?

Hope: Yeah

Lighting: Nah just get the gently caress out of the way and let me and Thunderhorse deal with this okay?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Oh man why would you have Launch but not that other skill? (other than being forced to go without it for a bit of course) It's the BEST kind of fall damage! A shame it'll be a bit more of The Hope and Knife Show before we all get to see it in action.

I like the regular fall damage because at least they cared enough to go "you know, super powered or not it's gonna hurt to land on your back onto a hard surface from 20-30 feet up in the air, let's have it do pity damage".

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

God help us all if he figures out he can combine the two AND combine THAT with his magic! :O

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

No sir, nothing was here before, sorry Artix!

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 25, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Artix posted:

Pro tip: Anything that you're admitting happens 20 hours in is about 14 hours ahead of where we are in the videos.

My bad, i'll delete it then :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

1stGear posted:

So Squeenix put in a bunch of complex systems that don't really interact in interesting ways and are probably a huge pain in the rear end to keep track of yet failed to balance the game properly so you can perpetually keep a enemy juggled and stunned.

Fantastic.

The best part is that weapon customization is prety much completly useless for the main game and there are only a couple of different weapons you want for the post stuff (as far as i know anyway, maybe somebody correct me)

Also Launch only really trivializes the random encounters and only a few of the bosses (if any) but i believe your Commando will try to launch the enemy regardless of it's immunity or not which is annoyingn.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Launch is in the others gams int his series right? i'm pretty sure it is but's alot harder to actually do as consistantly as you can in this game for varoius reasons. So maybe they decided "yeah this is a cool feature, but maybe we shouldent have it be COMPLETELY broken"

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Artix posted:

The AI won't try to Launch something if it can't (at least, I'm pretty sure), but it is true that bosses are for the most part immune to Launching. The upcoming one in the next video can be launched, but Sazh doesn't get Launch, so none of his bosses can be launched until his team fills out a little more, and obviously you can't launch aerial bosses. It really shines against miniboss-esque enemies, so while there'll be a few in each chapter, expect it to really become useful once we hit Chapter 11.

Yeah now that i start remembering there are quite a few bosses that can be launched :doh:

But doing it against bosses doesn't just straight up end them like it does for random encounters since the bosses especially will have tons of health and or gimmicks to get around it But it usually just means you have to launch them multiple times in a fight instead of just once.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

No
Organization
Required
Apparently

Edit because i just thought of this.

How annoying is it to not have like an area name or anything like that in the save menu? Just Save slot numbers?

Imagine having to go back and record something, or in non LP terms like stopping for a really long time and then coming back, all you'd see is your latest save and how much time you've wasted which considering it's Final Fantasy 13, it's already too much.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 1, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I have to disagree on 12.
12 has so little actual character dialogue and cutscene compared to 13, but what is there manages some vestige of subtlety, as if the characters on screen are actual thinking people. Especially Ashe, who probably has the most well defined, natural character development of any FF characters.

Ashe doesn't give up on her revenge quest at one big pivotal point, it happens slowly through the game.

And snow obviously Steelguarded the ground.

Oh yeah, Ashe is definitely well defined AND all natural :heysexy:

In any case, Balthier was the best character in 12 followed by Dr "overacting" Cid.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Just as the liiiiiight begins to fade to daaaaaaaawn.

Oh wait i'm getting ahead of myself :(

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

So is that game kind of like the new Neir? In that it's actually worth the play simply for the story and other cool things it does? Because as much as i loved the other LP's of Drakengaurd i don't know if i would want to subject myself to that kind of tedium.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Nidoking posted:

I told Artix not to mute me but he insisted. Honestly, it's probably for the best now that I think about it.

You need to show Artix that one video in your Rayman LP where you sing...i totally forget which one it was but i quite enjoyed it so you stepping into the rainbow would have been fantastic :colbert:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Wild Knight posted:

I'd say I called the singalong, or the karaoke-style lyrics at least, but...well, it was pretty obvious, especially once Fedule asked about fonts, so. Yeah. Really great work with the subtitles! And I'd also like to second a request for a bonus video of Nidoking singing.

I'm pretty sure Bravely Default is Squarenix's way of saying "we're sorry for how convoluted FF13 got, here's an alternate universe where we expanded on what makes a Final Fantasy a Final Fantasy while not actually naming it Final Fantasy."... If that makes sense? It probably doesn't make sense.

I remember being able to fight those scalebeasts pretty easily, it's just tedious as hell. But I mean, they still follow the basic pattern of "build and maintain stagger then fire everything once it breaks," though Saboteur speeds that up. I guess what I'm saying is I don't really see the need for that full-screen tutorial? Especially since, as Fedule mentioned, there's a later enemy that teaches you that lesson very naturally.

The bolded part being the important one, debuffs are what make that fight turn from a 3 or 4 minute one that Artix had to oh say maybe 10-15 or so. Sticking them to that dude when he's vulnerable is pretty much the only way you're gonna kill with any sort of expediency. But up until around that point you might not have realized how great Saboteurs are, this is when the game will say "hey, if you want to fight these guys you're gonna need a little extra help".

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I had completely forgotten about Roscherioth's existence in this game. Can somebody clue me in if he ever does anything relevant because I seriously don't remember?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

The part where Lightning has her mind blown is so weird to see. It's literally about the most emotion she ever shows in this series until her own game 2 games from now!

Lightning in Lightning Returns is pretty great though, at least in the sidequests.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

They passed up a perfect opportunity to have Snow do a Lariat for his Blitz move! At least it would have made it seem like SE was self aware when making this...thing.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I'd skip the first part of Spoony's review though, he seriously goes on a 10+ minute rant about the robes everybody is wearing on the train at the very beginning. He does have a bit of a point but he just nitpicks the gently caress out that little issue.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I'm really,REALLY surprised that in that last cutscene they didn't make a big deal out of the soldiers' bullets ripping the doll to shreds trying to kill Snow and Hope it would have been so SYMBOLIC and DEEP! It really seems like a missed opportunity on their part (in a game full of missed opportunities to be fair)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Fang/Hope/Lightning is one of the best 3 man party combos by the end of the game. I don't know if they are the "best" or if technically there is a better combination but it's what i used from the time you are allowed to until the end of the game i had no problems at all.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Plus Sazh gets Haste later than Hope does! I need Haste now, not later.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Simply Simon posted:

Are you sure that Sazh isn't the first to get Haste? For me, that made Sazh vs. Hope an actually meaningful decision for a while during the midgame.

Pretty sure Hope gets it first and then Sazh gets it a couple of chapters after that. It's been quite a while since i've played the game myself so i might be getting that wrong :v:

E: I want to say that Hope gets the elemental buffs much later than Sazh does and that's suppose to be the big deciding factor. But really as much as i like Sazh as a character there is no dethroning the almighty Haste.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 19, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Hm, i knew it was one way or the other with the whole Haste thing. I guess most of my memories of this game come from the end where,shockingly, it's actually kinda fun!

It's just strange how the inclusion of just one other person in the party makes the Light/Fang duo (or any of the 2 man parties really) go from "meh" to "absolutly amazing"

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Blastinus posted:

Nor do a lot of real-life snipers ride jetpacks up to about two feet away from the thing they're shooting at or fly in circles waiting for their target to run towards them. What I'm saying is, like pretty much everyone on Cocoon, these snipers are terrible at their job.

The Guardian Corps could learn a thing or two from X-Com, their Snipers do just fine on a jetpack. Of course they hover more than 5 inches off the ground during battle so that's already an improvment.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

You know Autobattle is usually pretty good about attacking. But it looks like it's actually kinda poo poo at Sentinel isn't it? If i recall correctly you only need to provoke once to get everybodies attention then just ____guard the rest of the time you need to. Doesn't Sentinel also get some suede-counter abilities later on as well? Unless that's going to count as a spoiler in which case i'll end it there. :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

If only we had the "do damage based on the amount tanked" right now. Those Velocycles fights would be over in like 30 seconds.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Given how Snow handles most situations it isn't that farfetched of a guess to say explosions followed by Psycom flying in means he's probably involved in someway.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

So are we allowed to talk about the branching out thing as long as don't go into detail? Because there is something i wanted to ask real fast.

Fedule kind of mentioned the "it's loving expensive to branch out as soon as you can" which is absolutely true. But why bother doing that in the first place other than the achievement for it? Does the postgame require that everybody be as flexible as possible or something? Because there's no reason at all to do it for anything in the main game other than maybe some optional things?

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

As a kid playing FFX i always heard that guy going "I'm annoying,HA!" like he knows he's being annoying and you can't do anything about it.

• Locked thread