Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So leaked Famitsu stuff is coming out. It may be grain-of-salt for the moment but the most noteworthy thing is that supposedly Z3 will be using the SRW Neo SP method instead of the traditional one

There's other stuff being reported which is hard to confirm. Famitsu has confirmed there is a big thing on the game in their latest issue tho'.
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201404/01050826.html

Game-wise it appears we're starting with Original, Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier and Mazinger.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hivac posted:

I never saw very far into 00, so all I'm familiar with is S1 Setsuna. Does he actually stay "..." or does he get more wordy outside of screaming at the top of his lungs during fights?

He never gets more wordy. Even when he becomes a literal messiah who fosters communication he does it by shooting glowing rainbows while he mehs it up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm getting more and more tempted to PSN Card it up. I wish I could find a place that didn't gouge out the rear end for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

For all that people complain about Heero being a silent deadpan guy, nobody ever seems to remember his crackpot speech about colony independence that he delivered as his words of introduction to his private school class, while his teacher awkwardly tried to get him to sit down and stop talking.

Heero in the first episodes is a weirdly different character from how he ended up. See also his bizarre laughing scene.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

But this was in the middle of the series. It was the second private school he went to, not the first.

Oh really? Man, I do not remember the middle of the series well at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrManiac posted:

Anyone planing on doing a share since it's also going to be digital?

Do shares work okay on the Japanese PSN? I'd be way more willing to give that a shot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Race Realists posted:

J has a LUDICROUS amount of reinforcements in every Scenario making EVERY. SINGLE. STAGE an hour long nightmare to finish.

I'd prefer people to LIKE the series, not hate the gently caress out of it guys.

J has such overpowered units that it doesn't remotely take an hour to finish every stage. It's not a great game but it isn't the worst either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You suckers and your English patches. In my day we played through SRW in Japanese without animation skip. Uphill. Both ways.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Race Realists posted:

In the late stages sure. Beginning stage wise (like, the first 30 stages), this game is absolute hell for the uninitiated

In the first 30 stages I was doing things like soloing entire fights with Cagalli and Mu in their Skygraspers. It may just be a difference in how we play but I've always heard the later stages at being the annoying ones.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Famitsu scans

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can not roll my eyes enough. I don't have a lot of confidence in these originals.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, they are the only part of the game I have no interest in at all. And I loved Esther, she was my favorite original in a long time. But then they had to go all, well, I wanna say Frank Miller, but there's probably a better example somewhere, on her.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Esther was fun right up until the point they went Fridgey with her. I kind of hope she gets to show up in Z3 and do something awesome.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't agree on that. Setsuko becoming the leader of the squad was the most natural place for her character development to go. You can make an argument it shouldn't have been the same guys again but her characterization isn't reset at all. She is not the same character at the end of Z1 that she was at the start.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

The impression I got from her story was that the main focus of her character arc was on her grief and how it trapped her, both figuratively and literally.

Instead of getting over her grief, moving on, and becoming a wiser person for it, the universe threw her a bone and gave her her friends back. She didn't grow so much as her problems just magically went away in the end.

The thing is that Setsuko didn't get over her grief because her friends showed up. She did that through her own development and then got a happy ending afterwards. Considering Setsuko spends the entire game being poo poo on horribly, her getting a positive ending is generally reasonable catharsis. If it had just been "oh no, they alive, Setsuko was sad for no reason," that would have sucked but Setsuko had to deal with her issues and work through them and her role in the reformed Glory Star is very different from the timid rookie she was at the start.

It's unarguably a cheerful and positive ending instead of a melancholy one but that's kind of SRW's stock in trade. The last two Z games have specifically had route splits to give people happier endings than they got in canon. (And Setsuko certainly can get her Unhappy Ending if you want to go that route.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 4, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Forget Hathaway's Flash, I want to see Bright Noah Story: The Man Who Could Not Ride The Rainbow get in.

If Judau shows up in Z3-2 then it has.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

I have a feeling I've been duped by someone who bought the Infinite Battle bundle and lied.

:ughh:

If it is who I think it is, they've also been playing Infinite Battle so I think they just bought that, yeah.

Ugh, looking on PSN for that has made me really tempted to just get the drat card...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In related news, play-Asia is "preparing order" and has taken my money!

AradoBalanga posted:

On the flip side, the "unconfirmed leaks" for Z3.1 are starting to trickle out.

Most of them look fake. And not like Hatsune Miku fake, just "someone on 4chan making poo poo up" fake.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 6, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is there an exact price for the download version, by the way? I'm seeing pretty conflicting reports.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

What does "very conflicting" mean?

It should be 8715 yen (8070 + 8% sales tax).

Someone said they were seeing it for less than that, but I bet they were misestimating the sales tax since it just changed. Thanks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The SRWZ3 Trophy List is out. Nothing hugely special but it confirms that a single playthrough is 60+ stages. Otherwise it's nothing special.

It looks like the Z2 "Emblem" system is returning too and there's some trophies for the Trader but nothing that gives any more info.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 8, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Do you have a link? I checked PSN Profiles and PlayStation Trophies but couldn't see it.

http://www.exophase.com/game/%E7%AC...7-psn/trophies/

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 8, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Keene posted:

For those of us who aren't familiar with NEO, could somebody please explain what was unique about its SP system?

While I love the SRW series dearly my experience with these games is limited strictly to OG 1 and 2 and J. I am, however, super excited to see the return of Gunbuster!

In the Neo system you do not begin with full SP as a stage starts. Instead it gains naturally ala Will/Morale gains, with increased gains in combat. This prevents early-level spell spamming but also lowers the chance you'll be hit with a "gently caress, I'm out of SP and there's ANOTHER boss" kind of stuff.

Neo and OE also had leveled spells where instead of Focus you had Focus Lv1/Lv2/Lv3 where each had a different effect and SP cost, but Z3 appears to have replaced this with "plus" versions of the spell on certain characters instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So someone in a chat I watch just dropped an amazing spoiler:

Guren Eight Elements has a MAP attack now.

A post-move MAP attack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Another bit of info on the second ReZEL pilot:
It's Kamille. He gets a ReZEL instead of the Zeta.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just looking at it I think it is "do full damage to both members of a pair" but I may be wrong.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If it shows up in Stage 14 it proooobably isn't the final upgrade even for this game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheManSeries posted:

I'm just writing it off more as an special attack moreso then upgrade. Similar to how the Brasta got the VFX things.

Even in that case Brasta got that around stage 35~, the usual upgrade area. Stage 14 of 60+ is way way too early for a final powerup.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

What I wanna know is where, when, and why are we still fighting random beastman mooks?

The Beastmen didn't go extinct or anything. Yoko was fighting random Beastman mooks in G-L canon near the end of the series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Pretty sure that's just the meter for a Maximum Break.

This is incorrect.

The Tag system is actually a twofold system.

You can spend those Tag Points to perform special Tag Commands. They include giving you Continious movement (i.e: move again if killing an enemy), increasing your PP or Z-Chip gain, or restoring 15 SP to both members of the tag.

You can also spend the Tag Points to perform Maximum Break.

Tag seems to go up every 2-3 kills or when you gain a level. I may be misunderstanding this since I've only seen a little of it so far.

The other system so far is the Combo System:
Every time you kill an enemy team you gain +5% to damage and rewards (Money/Z-Chips) for your next attack. If that attack also kills an enemy team you gain another +5% up to a maximum of 25% (I think?) However failing to kill an enemy resets the combo.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheManSeries posted:

Y'know with the fact Macross Frontier's movies have been in a few games, I'm really disappointed we haven't gotten secret unit Isamu, especially since in story despite being just a cameo in the movie, directors have confirmed that he's pretty much the best Valkyrie pilot.

Isamu showed up in UX but only as part of an attack.

Also not unless Max Jenius died offscreen he ain't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheManSeries posted:

Welp, If you'll excuse me I'll be looking for that footage.

Edit: Found it, but now I'm sad. Also drat, UX has decent cut ins.

As you should be. :smith: UX has great series interaction but awful animations, cutsin aside.

Also a small Z2/Z3 spoiler: Lelouch is still Lelouch so that confirms Trust Zero as the canon Z2 route.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest Invincible getting hit with the nerf stick is pretty reasonable. It's often been an extremely low-cost nullify-damage thing which you can slap on and leave on until you get hit. 1/8th reduction is still good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Downloading Vita version now.

Lol it started with SRW 1. Guess I can spend some time with that while I wait for the main thing to finish downloading.

Is it on the PSN? Do you have a link to the website version?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hm, yeah. It isn't on the website or PS3 store yet.

Play-Asia hasn't shipped mine yet so if it shows up before they do I think I'm just gonna bite the digital bullet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HiKaizer posted:

Play Asia shipped mine last night. Despite getting quick shipping it will still take a week to arrive according to FedEx.

I just don't want to end up cancelling it and then something goes wrong and PSN doesn't put the fuckin' game up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does the website reflect the same content as the store on the PS3 itself? Should I just be F5ing the website periodically or do I need to do it on the PS3 also?

The webstore can be a bit behind if it is anything like the US version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's weird because it is already up on the Vita store so I don't know what is taking them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So the web store has updated with the Vita version but not the PS3 version.

There... is a digital version of the PS3 version, right?

Edit: Nevermind, it's there!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The store is a piece of cake to navigate.

Also holy poo poo the Tag Tactics system is bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh. Custom Bonuses being cheaper to get is actually a nice change. It makes it viable you might get them on weaker units.

• Locked thread