Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

That sounds incredibly arbitrary.

It isn't in the slightest. You keep Asuka if you don't activate Eva-03 so she doesn't get Angel'd. You get Mari if you do because Eva-02 no longer has a pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

What's more, is that unless you take the route split where Bardiel appears, it appears that Mari joins by default and Asuka goes bye bye. And, on top of things, there seems to be an extra choice on the Bardiel stage if you do activate EVA-03: have Shinji defeat Bardiel on his own, or let him wuss out and let the dummy plug do the work.

There is but even if you beat it, Shinji gets Dummy Plugged so I'm not clear what the choice does.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

The issue here is that I had no idea spoilers and Lunamaria shared the same VA, and for that matter that were talking about spoilers. Man, I have been on a roll with the :downs: lately.

No concern, I just misunderstood!

Oh man, I want that to be the real Double Zeta now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Oh come on, you mean to tell me "Both of You, Dance Like You Want to Win!" isn't a team attack?!

That Angel isn't in the movies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

When does this choice come up?

At the end of Stage 46 (Chance of Success is 0.0001%! The "orbital drop Angel" Eva episode.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheManSeries posted:

So, seeing as I just finished Big O, can someone explain to me what they do to it in this game? I heard it kinda gives it an ending and I'm rather curious.

They give it the canonical ending where you talk Big Venus down from resetting things, but mixed with the original plot. A lot of what Big O does in SRWZ is pretty much entirely original.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheManSeries posted:

Was that just original Z? I read there was something else that happened in Z3, and due to being in week two of learning Japanese, I can understand a thing.

Ah, no, I was talking about Z3. In Z1 due to the meta-plot stuff, Paradigm City is like this weird dimensional sidehole and pretty much all the plot ties into that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I put that theme onto all of the Zeta Gundam suits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8O-Zv1GyqY

It works wonderfully well for the Zeta Gundam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I wasn't paying much attention but I think they just handwaved it with Shinn not being able to concetrate or something.

Shinn is feeling distinctly unmotivated, depressing and without focus since everyone he knows is missing and his peace has been ripped away from him. He gets his groove back when he returns to Orb and defends it against enemy attacks.

Rascyc posted:

Yeah I use the instrumental version of RX-0 pretty much everywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W24AGvOrAH0 (apparently this track has been pulled down all over youtube, too bad!)

I like it a little better than the synth'ed version. I tried my hand at hand chopping the original versions of mobile suit but it didn't work out so well, haha.

I just benched Katz and Fa as usual. I threw Emma into the ReGZ and had Amuro bro it up in the MKII just for nostalgia reasons. Man the MKII is not that good either though, but at least it has an ALL attack. I don't like the ReZels at all and gently caress Riddhe for life he can sit on the bench too.

I still don't have Nu, I'm in that weird place with Amuro where I don't know how they did the Nu Gundam attacks this game so I don't know if I should spend his pilot points on hit and away as usual. It mostly depends if his close range animations suck for me, if they do I'll just have him spam fin funnels. If they don't, then I'll do something else with him so I have an excuse to use those attacks.

Give Amuro the Delta Plus. The Delta Plus is loving amazing.

As far as the Nu goes: Amuro's ace bonus and the Nu's HUB are both Newtype Funnel-focused but its strongest attack is a melee attack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, PP is a bit too plentiful this game without much to spend it on if you're actually upgrading units. It's a bit more viable for a no-upgrade run but there's no standout like SP Regen/Continuous Movement.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

These are just tied to evasion IIRC. I haven't touched a terrain upgrade since like SRW-A. Honestly despite the SP system nerfs it's still a very abusable system, especially for pilots who have the seishins that double up on the squad (why do these exist?) so avoiding damage is still trivial.

The double-up spells exist to justify using protagonist as squad filler. Pretty much every protagonist has one which makes them viable as a backseat driver. Kouji has Iron Wall +, Trider can heal both members of the squad, most Real pilots has Focus or Invincible plus and so-on. It basically makes them more viable as backseat drivers compared to the dedicated support characters who have more supporty spells. It also makes it easier for them to keep them support characters alive.

Like, it's a lot more viable to pair Wing Zero and 00 Rasier together because Heero's Focus + and MAP attack are better backseat material while Setsuna's Morale + and Move Again and ALL attack make him a better frontseat driver.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Seriously when the TTGL support units join you, they're 2L sized units if I recall correctly. Their assist attacks hit SO HARD on nearly everything despite having like 3k base damage ranges or something generic. The Evas simiarily are 1Ls and hit hard as well.

The TTGL units are crazy loving good for almost the entire game because of their size. Space King Kittan was capable of keeping up damage-wise with Mazinger Z God Scrander.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prism posted:

Doesn't being so big give them a hit penalty? Or are most of the enemies large enough/slow enough that it doesn't matter and the damage scaling is more important?

You can upgrade accuracy or just use Attune/Lock-On/whatever to let them hit small things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Considering the horror stories I heard I'm glad I went for digital.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

Anybody who reads Japanese and has made it far enough want to tell me what the deal with Gunbuster is in this game? Noriko and it just seemed to popup out of nowhere mid-stage.

Gunbuster is post-series. Noriko says she is from 12,000 years in the past and she herself is not entirely clear what happened after the Black Hole Bomb went off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

I read something about them dropping hints about Diebuster being in the next game: can you confirm/deny? Is it just a wink wink/nudge nudge reference to it or does it seem like it has an actual chance of happening? I want to set everyone's music to Groovin' Magic.

There are no 100% direct references to Diebuster but Gunbuster's 'plot' isn't resolved this game and the place where it is really really invites Diebuster to be a very easy inclusion.

There didn't flat-out say Diebuster will be in part 2 but Diebuster has a really really good chance of being in Part 2. Better than any other series I can think of.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unfortunately if we get Renton back there is a 90% chance it will be Eureka 7 AO Renton.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just want Da Garn in a SRW. Is that so much to ask? Is it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Has Escaflowne been in any SRW before? Because was an amazing soundtrack with a pretty good series that went with it.

It has been in exactly one SRW game. Compact 3.

It... it didn't go well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, if I didn't dislike Kira he would have probably been a top ace just on that MAP move alone, let alone his pretty great ALL attack.

As it stands he got to be Shinn's backseat buddy instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aww. Four's ace bonus in Z3 is actually really nice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That wouldn't actually happen. SRW doesn't tend to play favorites that way and Z Kira is a different character by this point anyway.

Besides, he was already in SRWK with Kira. If they were gonna do it they woulda done it there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Thanks for spoiling the gently caress out of Gunbuster's appearance in this game with no spoiler tags, everyone.

Sorry, man. That was my fault.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

vibratingsheep posted:

Oh god I just realized that I'm going to have to get 4 ace bonuses for both Getter teams again. My love for mobility strikes again!

(Getter 3? What's that? Is it edible?)

The Shin Dragon team can't switch so only one Ace there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really have to wonder how Z3.2 is going to handle things with regards to Z3.1.

Several Aquarion EVOL characters are living or dead and Asuka can avoid her canonical fate entirely or get eaten by an Angel. Even if Asuka comes back in Rebuild 3.0 they'd have to justify her eyepatch somehow or another. Not to mention that apparently Char can be recruited/not recruited?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

vibratingsheep posted:

St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion),

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KArBt5ug1ho

I assume you mean this version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

Well I just got my copy today, much sooner than I expected. Now I need to get my custom soundtrack music actually on my PS3. Is there anything special I have to do beyond dumping it into my music folder?

That is literally it. I found songs I forgot I had on my PS3 as soon as I started up the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

What? Does Macross 7 have the Dynamite Explosion combo attack? Basara didn't have the song so I assumed the combo attack was gone as well.

Basara gets the song and the combo attack later in the game.

A good number of combo attacks are likely to return as upgrades in Z3.2. Freedom doesn't have his because Infinite Justice isn't in the game, Shin Dragon/Getter likely don't so they can unlock them in Part 2, ect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brunom1 posted:

Couple new BGMs here:

Ranka's new song, from the movie.

Sousuke's BGM once he gets the Lambda Driver figured out.

I quite like that Ranka BGM, which is odd because I seem to have a subconscious bias for Sheryl (only liked her BGMs in Z2).

It's a pretty good BGM. Probably one of the better things associate with Ranka.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

There sure are a shitload of DLC missions, no way will I get them all. Which five or so are the best? That's what I can afford with the little bit of PSN money left over from the initial purchase.

I don't think all of them are available yet.

The ones that cost 150 yen instead of 100 have better items, that's all I know. It doesn't look like it is anything exclusively though, just extra D-Trader items.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

Speaking of Macross I'm really glad we're getting a new series so maybe they can not have Frontier in every game they make. I like it but it is starting to get a little old.

I just wish they'd bring back original Macross.

Or a least the full MX7 cast so Max and Miria can hang out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

I just remembered that Isamu shows up for a cameo in the second Frontier movie so they could put him in Z3-2 if they really wanted to.

He actually shows up in the UX version of MXF for one of the attacks. I wouldn't be tremendously shocked if he ends up in Z3.2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

I can't believe that they kept loving Katz, Emma, and Fa, then gave you loving Hathaway as a pilot, but didn't include Lunamaria. Shinn must be pissed.

The ZAFT guys are off doing plot stuff and will pretty much certainly be back next game. They show up at the end of this game and feature prominantly in the next-game preview. Shin'll probably get a combo attack with Lunamaria out of it too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

He hates you so much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

The angry faces for a lot of players just look outright psychotic.

I don't know what you mean.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Give me the Shinn SEED portrait. Please. Please.

Also hates you.

Basically everyone with funny eyes hates you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Clearly we need more Ryouma eyes.

He hates you.

Kouji is just crazy.

Dancouga Nova doesn't want to put up with your poo poo.

Shinji Ikari... Shinji Ikari tries.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Huh. I'm going through the portraits for Z3.1, and there's a lot of stuff that I thought was covered in Z2, like Kallen in her schoolgirl hairstyle. Are there flashbacks, or did more series get setback then I expected?

Kallen in her schoolgirl outfit shows up shortly after her debut. Several others, like Young Simon and Scirocco, show up during the Spiral Labyrinth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Not even sphere related, then? Hmm. Man I need to find a translated summary of this game's plot.

Hibiki doesn't get a sphere until really late in the game. Like 3 stages from the end late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Wait how do you do the 1 turn GAI change? I thought it was purely for plot.

It gets unlocked later in the story and needs 130 morale to trigger.

• Locked thread