Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

HitTheTargets posted:

Man, that is not a question you want to apply real-world logic too. That combination that adds more moving parts and less structural integrity? Yes, it makes the robot stronger. This is what we choose to believe.

Of course it's stronger, with a combination it can decombine, have Rai and Aya attack, then recombine for Ryusei's attack. That's way more damage than just Ryusei attacking! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Daitetsu drinks too much to be able to aim straight.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Davzz posted:

Well, I haven't heard of any Anime called "Iron Gear" and "Soleil"...

I haven't heard of anything titled "Mother Vanguard" either.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Gyra_Solune posted:

An SRW that had a cast list as weird and dumb as Heroine Chronicle?

...i mean does UX count

okay but for real we'd need things like Dinagiga, Ginguiser, Innocent Venus, Candidate for Goddess, and Kannazuki no Miko. Maybe throw in God Mazinger and Getter Robo Go for the entries nobody remembers. Oh and make absolutely sure that Gundam AGE is the forefront of the plot and delivered as intact and unchanged as SEED was in J.

Also Fei-Yen Miku returns but now with the rest of the Vocaloid cast!!!

SOLD

Infinity Gaia posted:

On the other hand, Gunbuster was pretty much literally invincible and could get Super Guts, so it was mostly irrelevant. Alpha 1 is so freaking easy you can use nearly anything you want. I spent the last few stages in Alpha trying to figure out if I could short-circuit the plot by killing things in wildly out of order ways.

There was one time I was playing Alpha and Gunbuster got knocked down to red HP while surrounded by Sirocco and his goons. Used to later SRWs, I started worrying for Noriko's survival (and having to pay Gunbuster's repair bill).

Every single attack they had bounced off the Inertial Canceler. Sirocco got wrecked, brought out The O, and then suicided straight onto Noriko's fists. It was over so fast I barely noticed he had even changed machines in the first place. Super Guts is REALLY GOOD.

Also the exp curve on Alpha is completely broken, so you can pretty easily rocket people up 20 or 30 levels with a MAP attack if you start from the right level. It's about the only way to get Noriko's last spirit, if I recall correctly, and there's something absurd you can do with the SRX that relates to it, though I forget the specifics.

...then again, the SRX can one-shot the final boss, so.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

legoman727 posted:

Except that we'll never get an OG3. :suicide:

Isn't OGS2 effectively OG3, just weirdly named because of how they remade OG1 and 2 into OGS?

Reminds me, I should get back into OGS. I kind of burned out on it since I was just playing game I had already played six times over, just slower and in a language I don't really understand. But it's been a few years and I'm in the mood to see the OG crew again. Should check out the LP too, though my inevitable fate with SRW LPs is to miss an update and then never catch back up.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

So, playing OG1 on gba for the first time, because I can't focus on finishing a single game for longer than a few days to save my life, and anyone have any tricks for Stage 8 of Kyosuke route? This rear end in a top hat Elzam dodges everything.

I don't really remember much about stage 8 specifically, but rear end in a top hat dodging enemies are generally taken care of with Strike, Focus, and terrain bonuses. See if there's any terrain around that gives a hit bonus and park your guys on it (terrain like this also tends to grant dodge bonuses, which should help with Elzam's bullshit accuracy too). Line up support attacks so you can take him down before you run out of SP. Different attacks have different hit bonuses, try different attacks to see if any will let you hit him easier. I think range also helps with the hit calculations, but I don't remember for sure. I'm pretty sure Will has an effect, so if you can get yours up before he dodges his up to 150, that might also help.

If all else fails the RNG rolls when you start a battle encounter and isn't pre-determined like in Fire Emblem, so you can save scum him if you really have to. It's not fun, but it should work as a last resort.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

L+R+Start+Select is quick reset I think. Hold down select to automatically load the quick save.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

No, I know there's a quick reset on the GBA. I savescummed my way through more than one battle on an actual system because I was a dumb kid back in college. Maybe it's A+B+Select+Start? A+B+L+R+Select+Start sounds too complex for what I remember. It's something like that anyway, and holding Select loads the quicksave.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

ActionZero posted:

Absolutely. Trump Card is a practically useless attack with 1 range, 1 ammo and no P anyway. Stake on the Alt all day erry day.

Doesn't Trump Card have a greater will requirement than Rampage Ghost too? I really can't think of a situation where you'd choose to use it over pretty much anything else.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Onmi posted:

Now keep in mind, an unupgraded RyuKoOh is stronger than a Fully upgraded Grungust Type-2. It's a ridiculous bump.

I don't believe there's a refund though.

That pissed me the hell off when I played, because I spent a lot of money upgrading the Type-2. It makes sense, but I was still mad. At least I won't have to worry about it next time, since I'll be doing the real route.

As for refunds, I'm pretty sure all the money you spend upgrading Bullet's pre-KouRyuOh ride gets refunded in Alpha 3.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Getsuya posted:

I literally just said that exact same thing 3 posts above yours, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that would be great.

This. Honestly Final Fantasy doesn't really need its own internal crossover. The Squeenix guys need to get some air, meet some new people, crossover with some other contemporary RPGs. Though I kind of came up with this idea on the spur of the moment when thinking about crossovers I would actually want to spend tons of time crafting I really honestly like it. It's something that would never actually happen for real, but it'd be a cool project because Playstation was just an amazing era for JRPGs. The stories and worlds and characters are really rich, and if someone were to blend them together the right way it would make something that fans could go to for some new nostalgia.

There are even some great series to act as the 'go between' to get the different worlds interacting. Suikoden has Vikki, who is Deus Ex Machina for crossing time and space to put herself and others where they don't belong, and you also have Star Ocean 2 and SaGa Frontier where free roaming between planets/realms is pretty commonplace.

I would too would love a Super RPG Wars.

For a lot of the more generic fantasy RPGs you could just have them all taking place in different parts of the same world, and just kind of handwave the part where you usually explore the entire world of a JRPG before you're done. You'd only really need Vikki and space travel for worlds with really unusual or defined settings, like Lunar or Xenosaga. (I refuse to acknowledge any Lunar that doesn't take place on a terraformed moon)

Maybe have a split between the fantasy world RPGs and the more sci-fi ones. Start off on a fantasy world, meet up with Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and maybe Chrono Trigger. Then a mysterious visitor falls to earth (because of Lavos, maybe?) and that's a representative from Star Ocean. After cleaning up some problems on fantasy world, the heroes band together to take care of plots in space, where they pick up characters from Xenosaga and Phantasy Star, maybe some other sci-fi RPGs. This leads them to visiting other worlds, like Lunar and Parasite Eve. Then everything comes back to the original fantasy world for the stunning climax.

I'm just kind of spitballing here, but I think it could be cool.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Not nearly enough recommendations for Giant Robo here. Watch Giant Robo.

The Vision of Escafowne is pretty shojo, but there's tons of focus on the characters because of it, all mixed in with tons of great action. Watch that too.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

KoB posted:

In the original the gundams shrunk, didnt they? Gespenst was supposed to be powerarmor/tokusatsu style wasnt it?

Back in Hero Senki, yeah. Not sure about the other Great Battle games or whatever, but in HS I'm pretty sure there was a line about the Gundam being power armour to go with the Gespenst. Dunno how big the Ultramen were supposed to be.

I think the actual answer is "don't think about it too hard"

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Does anyone have links to some collections of quit game skits? You know, the ones you get for saving and quitting mid-battle in the modern games. I don't know of any on Youtube and have no idea what tags they'd be under for Nico.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Brunom1 posted:

Search "スーパーロボット大戦 中断メッセージ集" in Nico and you'll find a bunch of compilations.

Thanks man, I knew there was something. Just searching for "スーパーロボット大戦" or "スパロボ" is impossible to sort through but I didn't know what they called those over there.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Davzz posted:

Yes, that's my opinion too. I believe the old SHG games were "regular" RPGs so this is a departure from the norm of that series.

But I don't think you can use G Generation as a judge either, because I'm pretty sure a bunch of G Gen mechanics aren't going to be in this... unless there's some kind of Ultraman and Kamen Rider evolution system...

Incidentally Ingram and Viletta were originally from that franchise. Weird knowing that considering they're usually connected to the SRX team.

Super Hero Operations was where they got connected to the SRX team in the first place, right down to piloting the R-Gun. Since they were the heroes, of course they stayed for the entire time, so probably when Alpha came out the whole thing with Ingram being a traitor was a lot more shocking. Bullet, Kusuha, Ryoto, and Leona were all part of the SRX team back then too. I know Bullet and Kusuha were shopkeepers, but I forget what Leona and Ryoto did. (I vaguely remember one of them saving your game, but don't quote me)

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

If we're putting in Star Wars then we should also have Legend of the Galactic Heroes for maximum space opera.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

I've never liked GGG. It looks dumb, has annoying music and isn't even very good in either of the games I've played that had it (W and @3).

I'm not even sure how you can get GGG is be not very good in @3, let alone W. Even without upgrades it's a beast.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

In OG1 he says that he and Ingram are both fated to wander over multiple dimensions, then there's the whole "I'm not from your world" thing he does to Vindel (and Axel), and his codes for System XN are all references to Hero Senki. And he has brief moments of recognition for Masaki and I think Fighter Roar, though he plays them off.

There really is only one Gilliam.

I really hope they do some sort of dimensional traveler's club with him and Cobray when Cobray finally shows up for real. I just want to see them hanging out a bit, it would be cool.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Does that mission even have an "Ok, you can stop now." point?

It's "hold out for ten turns", isn't it? Or some other timelimit.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Hokuto posted:

I find it easier to use with Resupply and Resupply After Moving.

IIRC, Repair/Resupply experience only goes to the platoon leader. It is not shared with the team, so Learning does not apply.

Any space stage without a turn limit is optimal for this, because moving in space consumes EN. A moves, B moves and resupplies A, A moves and resupplies B, etc. Resupplying a unit of equal level to yourself gives you a flat 200 experience, so you do this 5 times to level up twice. The real trick is that once your initial two resuppliers reach 99, everybody else can get 800 experience per action for resupplying a target way higher level than they are. It only levels off again close to 99, and makes it incredibly fast.

If your resuppliers are launched from your menu (rather than forced in the stage), and you get a game over, their levels and money will be retained, and you can even go for the skill point on a retry since this is before the days when game overs forced skill point failures. However, this is completely optional and unnecessary unless you want 100% skill points.

People in Alpha 2 that can use resupply units include the entire Mazinger team and Wing people, and also UC Gundam people, I think.

In W, there is a Gaogaigar stage where people take constant damage every turn, which makes the repair trick much more viable in that game. I don't remember a stage like that in Alpha 2, but I could just have a terrible memory. Unfortunately, W doesn't let you swap units for most people except like, Tekkamans. Tekkamen?

When I abused this trick on a replay in W, I found that enemy levels in the final stage actually scaled up with me. I was fighting level 85 trash mobs, assumedly because my level 99 Jun and Sayaka and Noin were raising my team's average level and breaking the bell curve. It was great for catching the rest of my non-repairing team up.

In Alpha 2 you can resupply yourself if you don't want to deal with bouncing them back and forth. It's how I leveled Boss up enough to get all his subpilots spirits, just gave the Boss Borot a flying part and had him run around in a circle while everyone else did the work. I never really saw the point of leveling anyone but Boss, since he's got easily the biggest reward for doing so.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Katz is better than Emma mechanically.

Even if you're right, I refuse to acknowledge this madness.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

gently caress OG2. Why won't my mechs stop exploding. :negative:

Maybe put some money into them.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

The 'problem' goes back to SRW existing first as a fanservice game so if you made a class or number of units difficult to use often or as a default you get a bunch of unhappy fans who wanted to wreck all the stages with Gunbuster or w/e.

Yeah, if you told me I couldn't make a team of entirely blocky 70s super robots I wouldn't play the game. Daitarn 3 all day every day.

It might work as a slightly better way to balance the SRX than limiting turns or combinations, but the SRX is a weird special case and they've given up on balancing it with the R-series in OG anyway.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I think she'll just be a crummy-but-useable unit before turning into Buster Machine No. 7. She does do an Inazuma Kick and takes out an enemy in the first episode, after all.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

MechaX posted:

As ImpAtom mentioned, J plays it so straight that it hurts.

Like, you'll have people jumping from the Archangel over to the Nadescio because the Archangel folks are way too mopey and involved in their melodrama.

There is actually a hilarious moment late game with Chairman Zala and Rau, where Rau of all people is like "Well sir, I know you want to fire your death laser at the Earth and eliminate all Naturals, but we're being sandwiched by the Jovian forces and the fucks from Layzner in space, and the Earth is already hosed with the Radam, Dr. Hell's folks, and the Zeorymer folks tearing everything up. We should really focus on protecting the PLANTS so we don't get screwed."

Zala is just "Yeah, you're right.... But the Naturals MUST DIE! Prepare Genesis!"

Endorph posted:

My favorite moment is when Kira, Kouji, and Akito do the PROTECTING THE PEACE schtick and when everyone chews them out, Kouji and Akito are like 'yeah, that was retarded, why did we do that?' and turn on Kira in like 0.5 seconds.

All this just makes me want to play J again.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Davzz posted:

Hey man, Jet Alone is super awesome and should be a secret the next time they use TV Evangelion.

Which probably won't be ever.

This. This is truth.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Also Mu is still compelled to sacrifice himself despite having Mazinkaiser and Zeorymer on the team.

Doesn't he do that in Alpha 3 too, but it's some weird fake-out? I swear I remember that on the stage where you have to pretend the SEED enemies and their cheap knock-off Solar Ray are a threat despite well...literally everything in the Alpha Numbers by that point.

But we all know that SEED was a terrible addition to Alpha 3.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Asteroid! Space Elevator! Galaxy! LISTEN TO MY SONG!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Eternal Volfogg posted:

Touma was one of the best protags of alpha series. Maybe im biased because DaiRaiOh is one of my favorite robots of all time...

Im thinking of giving Gunelon the GGG theme as custom BGM

It really depends on if you're talking about Touma himself or his robot. Because he's got a cool robot but as a character he's just kind of there. My problem with him was that he came in at the end of the Alpha series when everything comes back around and he doesn't really have a connection to anything that happened before, which Kusuha and Cobray have in spades. (Selena might have the same problem, haven't gotten around to her route yet) What I got out of him was just hotblooded super robot protagonist, which is fine, but not best protagonist of the Alpha series. And he didn't get a unique carryover from Alpha 2 like literally every other Alpha 3 hero. He's not bad, but he doesn't really stand out.

Except for his robot, because it's a really cool robot.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

So after all the talk yesterday about OG2 getting better in the second half, stage 31 is another complete slog. Urgh.

Is that Operation Plantagenet? Yeah, gently caress that stage. And after that you get an all-water stage! Hope you remembered your Tesla Drives!

On the upside Yuuki and Carla finally figure out that the Neo DC is full of terrorists and war criminals and maybe they should hang out with the guys who have a proven track record of saving the Earth instead. Too bad OG2 is all about the combo attacks.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ffffffff....

I had forgotten.

Yeah...well, everything after that is land or space, I'm pretty sure.

Hope you got SP Regen on a bunch of people, though. Some real marathons coming up.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

FUckl Wendolo yuou goddman shitl.lm,

You DID get everyone SP Regen and upgraded all the combo attacks, right?

Brunom1 posted:

He says how the world he was previously in was reborn by the singing voice of a mechanical god but even that world was unable to escape the Apocalypsis; so, in the end, the MX world was gone and, in its place, the Alpha world was born.

Does this and Euzeth's thing in 2ndOG relate to what Shu was talking about with the Alpha world being wrong in stage 9 of Alpha Gaiden? It sounded like he knew about the Classic timeline or something.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Wait, did you not upgrade the HTB Cannon? Please tell me you upgraded the HTB Cannon.

And for that stage, don't bother with the boss mooks. Rouse yourself up (I think Radha has it, so if all else fails she can do your entire team on her own), priority on the combo attackers, then gun straight for Alfimi. Ignore everything else unless someone with really good will gains (so...Latooni or Leona) really needs an extra four Will on the way. There is no point to fighting any of those bosses.

Secret stage doesn't have any will problems, at least.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Onmi posted:

Choc's run into my problem with OG2's end game. It's not that it's hard. It's just mind numbingly tedious.

Yeah, OG2 is in some ways better designed than OG1, except that the endgame is complete bullshit even if you do the 'SP Regen on EVERYONE (no seriously, everyone), all your money into combo attacks, set up the SRX for maximum HTB Spam' stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing how it changes now there are finishers that actually pierce barriers, even if that still won't fix the fundamental problem in the last four stages or so. The bosses all have way too much HP and far too many of them have Large HP Regen, and yeah, the Einst are just really loving boring as antagonists. They're just kind of generically cryptic and mysterious when the Inspectors are supposed to be doing something sensible and got seriously sidetracked because they're all dicks and the Shadow Mirror are just trying to create inter-dimensional Outer Heaven. I sort of get why the Einst are supposed to be the biggest threat, but I really would've rather had Vindel be the final boss.

Rascyc posted:

Thinking about OGs, it still feels so crazy that we don't have the SRW W originals and Cobray to tie up the whole multiverse/record stuff. I guess that's next though.

Cobray is very likely to show up in OG3. I don't know about W. On one hand, it fits in so well with Alpha 3 it would be insane to not use it, on the other, we've still got J to go through. We could end up with OG3-1 and 2, but that would be terrible and I really hope they don't.

If I was in charge I'd introduce the W originals, do their first half with J, then after the Fury go down Hazel and the Database show up to wreck everything. That way the heroes can go into deep space without having to worry about taking care of anything else on Earth, which avoids the Alpha 3 problem of "okay, the entire galaxy is in danger and Balmar just got destroyed, let's go home and pretend the SEED villains are an actual threat before going back into space to clean up the Buff Clan and STMC". (even if yeah, the Fury are way more threatening than Blue Cosmos ever were)

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Calvina is cool, never played Touya's route.

The only thing I hope for J in OG is getting all the Fury mechs (with Raftclans as a secret unit) and being able to put Touya and Calvina in any of them. Bonus if Calvina can pilot any free mech. More pilot switching, always more pilot switching.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Don't upgrade any dodgy unit too much in J, the AI won't attack units it can't hit. This is why Granteed, Mazinkaiser, and the Nadesico are so overpowered: the enemy will attack them constantly and none of them will take any appreciable damage. (you will probably want to upgrade the Nadesico's EN)

Prepare for endless reinforcements.

I hope you don't like the Archangel, because the Nadesico is better in practically every way.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ok, so the money I spent getting those first few pips of mobility was wasted. Good to know. :doh:

What stats should I raise with the training points? So far I've only been raising every pilot's highest stats (and a few other slike hit and evade and def).

A few pips won't matter too much. Just don't instantly max out Layzener's mobility or something. Keep an eye on your hit/dodge rates and only upgrade when you're getting unacceptably bad ratios on your fragile units. The AI will attack if it's even 1% chance to it, it only ignores if it's actually 0%.

I don't think I ever bothered to do much with training points besides main attack stat/a bit into main defense stat. J isn't a super hard game. Do the Puzzle Robo bits though, they're fun.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Jegan posted:

I seem to remember enemies prefering to go after targets with the most HP, so it might be a good idea not to upgrade Ship HP.

90% of the enemies are going to be suiciding on the Nadesico no matter what. You're not going to get enemies to not attack the battleship, but it's okay because the Nadesico is powerful enough to take it.

Just don't use the Archangel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Kanos posted:

The closest thing SRW ever had to this was in a few of the older SRWs if you had Kamille get the kill shot on Scirocco he'd get brainwiped and be lost for the remainder of the game. The SRX also originally had a combination limit of 10 total combinations over the course of the entire game, after which the combination mechanism broke and you could never combine the R series ever again in that playthrough.

The 10 combination limit was in Alpha and it wasn't that bad because you got the SRX about ten stages from the end and one of those stages was entirely dialogue. Like, literally. There was a stage that was nothing but people talking about the Evangelion plot, no fight. Never even went to a battle screen. It also wasn't 10 combinations, it was 'you can only combine on ten stages'. Once you combined you could de- and re-combine as much as you felt like and it would only use up one of your combinations as long as you didn't hit an intermission screen. (which, considering the final stage is a three parter, makes up for that one Eva stage) There wasn't that much point in doing it, since the SRX was stupidly powerful in Alpha and R-Formation didn't exist until OG1, but you could still do it if you had to.

Back in Shin the limitation on the SRX was that it could only combine for three turns before exploding. I'm not stupid enough to play Shin so I don't know if this caused a gameover or just disabled the combination, but it's what OG1 was referencing when the SRX first combines and Rai says that they can only stay combined for three minutes. I don't know how they balanced it in Super Hero Sakusen, maybe it was just that it's a lot more painful to give up three separate units in a regular RPG than in a SRW-style SPRG. And then after Alpha they just gave up on balancing the SRX vs the R-Series and made the R-Series redundant, so.

By the way, I've been playing OGS and gently caress stage 39. Alteisen and Weissritter are goddamn worthless by this point in the game and even Vysaga will get two-shot if you get any hit rates above 0%. Plus no one can hit anything without Strike. It's the worst. The complete worst. And I didn't get the Ravens even after following the guide. At least Carla has the Stealth Boomerang so she's not completely useless even if she doesn't come with Accel and Hit and Away to make up for her lovely mech.

• Locked thread