Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

GimmickMan posted:

It amuses me greatly that they're trying to pass COFFIN OF THE END as a super ominous name. The trailer tries so hard to make it look like the most epic serious business adventure of the OG saga only to shove the goofy title in our faces right after. :allears:

If the title were something like "Sarcophagus of the Apocalypse" instead, would you find it less silly or more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Hivac posted:

A part that lets me regen all of my EN every single turn on one unit? What the gently caress, Banpresto?

Gunbuster's goddamn unstoppable with that part slapped on, it's so ridiculous.

Gear Fighter Dendoh (sp?) could get that full EN regen intrinsically. Granted, Dendoh had the gimmick of potentially using all its EN in one attack. :v:

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

AradoBalanga posted:

Cybuster and Valsione, I guess? :shrug:
At least the classic timeline games knew to give Cyflash and Psycho Blaster much lower weapon power than other MAP weapons. (Then again, most enemies have very low HP so they're still abusable.)

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

I can't take Perfectio seriously. His mech just looks too doofy.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Pretty much, I have the perfect guides for D, J and W, a lot of it is focusing on the path splits and stages while telling you about each secret. I remember J's guide had a little poster with all the secrets and a grid to tell you do do what in each stage.

At the end of the book are pilot and mech stats for every single pilot and mech in the game. At the very end it has concept art and promotional art for the OG characters and mech, all of which is pretty neat, J's in particular.

How are the pilot stats formatted? I could see them listing level 1 stats and growth rates, or listing stats at various level milestones. Or maybe it could be something else?

I wonder if scans of the Perfect Bibles exist online anywhere.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

EthanSteele posted:

Loads of OG designs have the toe spike thing, dunno if there is a supposed reason for it other than someone somewhere thinks it's cool.

This is my least favorite thing about OG mech design. It looks ridiculous, and most of my favorites tend not to have them.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

ImpAtom posted:

Huh, really? Well I guess I shouldn't be shocked. I can never keep track of the Masoukishin dudes.

To be fair, the blue highlights in his hair give him a very DeviantArt OC feel.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
The Giant Robo in Z3-2 is actually the exact same one from Alpha 1, explaining why it disappeared from the Alpha timeline.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

TARDISman posted:

That was D, where poo poo got crazy just when Char was about to drop Axis then he thought "waaaaaaaaaaait a minute... this may not be good for the planet!"

Char does drop Axis in D, at the end of the prologue. Axis then misses the Earth when the Ruina cause Earth to disappear. At this point Char doesn't know if Earth is ever coming back, but the space colonies and moon are still here, so he decides it's Neo Zeon's duty to protect the spacenoids from the Zanscare and Gishin Empires' aggressions. Amuro and Captain Bright, who previously had been captured as POW, are given an offer to join Neo Zeon. At first they refuse, but they reluctantly change their minds when they see that the Earth really is gone.

Later on when the Earth does come back, Roger Smith negotiates a merger/teamup between Neo Zeon and the Order of the Zodiac, who had served a similar role on the sealed sunless Earth. OZ had also previously joined up with the League Militaire as well as the super robot armies from Getter Armageddon, giving you most the fully assembled team, named Blue Swear by default.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yesssss.

I'm still annoyed that I can't get G Bankaran's theme to show up in Z3's custom music list. I made room and everything, but Boss Borot has to go without.

I can just imagine Boss singing "Ore wa Boss Borot, jan jan janjan jaaaan!" and it is glorious.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Reive posted:

Beyond that I just have the same issues I have with other rpgs/tactical games in that I have no idea what I should be spending my money on upgrading, or weather it's more important to use it on mech stats or pilot stats, but that's more game theory stuff, I don't think I'll really be able to screw myself in the long run can I?

Mechs and pilots are upgraded with separate resources (money vs Pilot Points), so no need to worry about that part. As for who to upgrade, most SRW games are fairly easy such that you can get by with any combination. Most players tend to pick favorites to max out, but spreading upgrades around is fine too.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Kitfox88 posted:

I thought it was a straight % modifier with 100 as the zero?

The old games did it this way, and as a result Will was a ridiculously good damage modifier. I think Alpha Gaiden was the first one where they toned it down to the modern Will+Stat average setup.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

ImpAtom posted:

Yuuki and Carla got the Raven upgrade in OGG at least which made them a lot more viable.

I think Rio and Ryoto are the only characters who have gotten a straight-up downgrade.

What about the Excellence team? Sure, being in a three-seater mech makes them a high-quality repairbot, but c'mon.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
SRW4 had Koros and Don Zauther piloting Guest mecha. Both in Liege Geios, I believe. Why not let you fight their Meganoid forms? Who knows.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Davzz posted:

Also both battleship captains have terrible Hit stat the last time I remember.

Oh yes. Daitetsu has a horrifically bad accuracy stat, being even worse than generic EFA soldiers. Even without the size modifier accuracy penalty, he'd be the least accurate unit in the game. Lefina is better, but not by a whole lot.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Fred is on posted:

Gundams and Ultramen are almost always person-sized (and anthropomorphized in the Gundams' case) in these games so it's a pretty safe bet. Then again, the battleships seem to take up roughly as much map space as they do in G Gen, so who even knows.

The official answer is probably "*shrug*".

I like the way Hero Senki did it: Making the Gundam protagonists into KR-style henshin heroes, with their human-sized gundams as powered armor.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Getsuya posted:

These same friends also told me that Impact is 'SRW Hell', in that it is freakishly long and does not allow you to skip battle animations. Considering this was made during the PS2 era I find that hard to believe. Is it true?

Impact does let you skip battle animations. The problem is that it is still an excruciating slog even when skipping animations. The map animations that replace skipped animations are still very slow, and you will see a whole lot of those as all enemies are very tough to kill off.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Davzz posted:

Incidentally, D doesn't really have an "Armor Bug", it just has really screwed up stats where something like an Armored Valkyrie has more base armor than Mazinger Z. I think I mention this in an off-chance that someone could potentially mod the game and raise every Super's armor by a few hundred points or something.

No wonder I couldn't find anything about it by googling just now. All I could find were vague mentions on Akurasu and TvTropes of all things. I even tried searching in japanese (with my admittedly limited knowledge), and couldn't seem to find anything at all. I did find this wiki page that has a comprehensive list of seemingly every bug in the series, but the sections on D never mention armor.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Hokuto posted:

I'm not sure since I always take the real route for some reason when I start a new game of A.

Did you know that A, R, D, and J still have debug menus in the game that can be accessed with cheat codes?

If you start a new file of A through debug mode, it will automatically give you Axel and the Soulgain, except you'll start on the Ashsaber's space route instead, and the Soulgain with be renamed to the Earthgain Custom (as アースガイン改). This is also the only way you can use any kanji in your banpresto original's names in A.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

I firmly believe that SRW's music is the best part of an already great series.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
The SNES games made Kou start off weak but with good stat growths. Of course, leveling up any bad pilot in the classic timeline is an exercise in frustration.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Broken Loose posted:

Nah, dog. It has the spirits and SP pool to alert/guard/invincible everything until you get enough will for Open Get to start activating. And god forbid the games where Getter Vision stacks with Open Get.

In ARDJ auto-dodge skills activate before Invincible and Flash/Alert get used up. Between those two spirits and Open Get and Getter Vision/Mach Special for Getter 2 or Sword Block for Getter 1, Getter Robo should almost never be taking real damage. That doesn't even need Iron Wall/Guard unless you want to throw Getter by itself into the middle of an enemy wave.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Gyra_Solune posted:

An SRW that had a cast list as weird and dumb as Heroine Chronicle?

...i mean does UX count

okay but for real we'd need things like Dinagiga, Ginguiser, Innocent Venus, Candidate for Goddess, and Kannazuki no Miko. Maybe throw in God Mazinger and Getter Robo Go for the entries nobody remembers. Oh and make absolutely sure that Gundam AGE is the forefront of the plot and delivered as intact and unchanged as SEED was in J.

Also Fei-Yen Miku returns but now with the rest of the Vocaloid cast!!!

An SRW with a deliberately weird cast list absolutely needs to throw in Psycho Armor Govarian. It's half Mazinger half Gundam.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FKWPmvlzNwQ

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

legoman727 posted:

The OGs LP now up reminds me of the two changes they made the OG2 section that really pissed me off and I can't rant about them in the LP thread for months.

So. Jesus christ gently caress whatever Axel fangirl got on the plot department and decided to completely re-write him into a secondary protagonist, and gently caress them taking away avenging Daitetsu's death in the most badass way possible.

Axel's rewrite in OGs is supposed to bring him back in line with his A version. The real fault lies with OG2's GBA version for making him way more of an rear end in a top hat than he was supposed to be.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I don't know where else you go as far as surprising revelations when we already know that every kind of Earth that can exist does exist.

edit; maybe suddenly merge the world with some other game with a similar cast's plotline?

Merge it with OG for the ultimate clusterfuck

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Transient People posted:

My kingdom for a translator insane enough to try and crack the copy protection for FMW P and I. I want to play them so badly, but I can't read the script! :smithicide:

Is there any chance that someone reaching out to Sanbondo could just make an official translation instead?

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
Besides Alpha 2 and 3 canonizing Kusuha+Bullet in the Ryu-ko-oh and Ko-ryu-oh respectively, OG puts Ryoto and Rio in the Huckebeins. Until the Huckebeins get destroyed in OGII. Tasuku, Leona, Yuuki, and Carla get assigned to lesser OG mechs, but can be reassigned relatively freely.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
Isn't "super RPG wars" basically what Chaos Wars already was? Though it didn't have the big names like Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest...

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

TARDISman posted:

I like pretty much all of J's original music, the only one I'm not a crazed fan of is Melua's theme. I really can't wait for the OG3 version of Guardian Angel.
For some reason, I dislike most of J's original music, and really hate Limit Over in particular. Guardian Angel is pretty good though, it's easily the best of them.

Gyra_Solune posted:

Man I like the 8-bit-ish music for the GBA ones in general and I kind of wish for more stuff in the same vein. D's Heats and A's Yume Iro Chaser are just yesssss

Come on hackers, make crazy fangames so I can hear the Gunbuster theme like that :(

Back when daitrombe used to exist, someone had uploaded an ARDJ-style cover of Steel Beowulf. It was great, but then I lost all of my old mecha music collection in a harddrive failure. I wish I could find it again.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Any of you guys use SRW music as ringtones? I find SRW Z2 instrumentals really do have that ringtone vibe to em, ya know? :v:

In the past I've used the original version of Dashing Char, the SRW Compact 2 of Zeta - Toki wo Koete, and the SRW R version of Anime Ja Nai. I don't recommend that last one, it's been over a year since I used it and my eye still twitches every time I hear that version. :v:

Right now I have the SRW F (SS) version of F91 Sortie, and my text message tone is a newtype flash sound effect (which I later found out is the SRW Alpha version of that SFX). I like the theme, okay?

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

MonsieurChoc posted:

Guys, help, I can't stop listening to the gba version fo Violent Battle. It's just too good.

I'm sort of partial to the PSX version as well, which for some reason sounds very different. Every version of Violent Battle is pretty great though. Why did the classic timeline create so many awesome songs?

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

1st Stage Midboss posted:

That's because it's not the actual version of the song from F, this is. That is a really nice version though.

That's the Sega Saturn version. All of the songs sound different in the Playstation version, though none as drastically as Violent Battle. Check out the two versions of Time to Come for another example.

Saturn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkJAImJGsVQ
Playstation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYkn0EPI8P4

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Samurai Sanders posted:

They have their pilots' voices though, so did the MSs absorb their pilots' souls or something like that?

Or am I thinking about things I shouldn't be thinking about?

Maybe it interprets the Gundams as Kamen Rider-style powered armors.

Gundam always seemed really weird in a thematic sense as the third member of this trio. I like when crossover stories do weird things though, that's part of why I like SRW in general.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Policenaut posted:

I would absolutely love to see Front Mission Evolved in an SRW game, preferably alongside Gundam 00 so we can watch Banpresto somehow explain how a hidden space elevator can somehow exist in a universe with space colonies and actual known space elevators.

How do you even hide a space elevator in the first place?

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
Two corrections on that list: Baxinger (and I think Sasuraiger as well) was indeed in GC, and AFAIK God Mazinger has never been in any SRW.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Gyra_Solune posted:

has Gilliam ever done anything of like actual importance? cause it seems like he's been sitting around for three and a half games being cryptic and nothing else

In the OGverse, he came from the Shadow Mirror universe, and his technology was what allowed the SM to make the dimensional jump in the first place.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Rascyc posted:

The anime calls it a cavity search. It's really bad. Love thy fellow SRW goons. Stay away.

Is that actually shown, or did they offscreen it? Please tell me they offscreened it...

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Daler Mehndi posted:

Let's just jam our robots into each other, surely something magical will happen. :downs:

And something did. :iamafag:

Well it worked for Gurren Lagann, so why not?

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Race Realists posted:

Can anybody tell me if this dude is cheating on this Z1 playthrough I found on NicoNico?

what the gently caress is it with people and lovely srw playthroughs? i can only name like a handful and ALL of them are Japanese only

Oh hey this is from Amino-san. He's done a bunch of other SRW video series, and some other games too. I really liked his two Solo Ramza playthroughs in Final Fantasy Tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

ImpAtom posted:

Are you sure that one is a bug? It sounds pretty drat intentional to me.

It sounds a lot like a certain event in D. Angel Halo sets everyone to low morale, except for Hiiro, Gou, and Wentos who are unaffected.

Still, reusing the Daunt animation is not ideal!

• Locked thread