Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

TARDISman posted:

I'll be giving him plenty of attention because I'm really bored of Brasta and Crowe's themes aren't half as endearing to me as the other Z originals.

Please, Unbreakable owned and Setsuko's themes were poo poo. Gave her Sure Promise and never looked back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

That's not Invincible at all!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Man, I am just consistently thrown off by the startup time on attack animations when I watch footage. It's going to be a while before I can actually get the game but it seems like it would be so annoying during gameplay.

Also, any sign of Beyond the Time in the game so far?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Brunom1 posted:

Someone posted a Nico video with several final attacks.

And, yes, Sousuke does get a Lambda Driver attack and it is glorious.

Edit: Holy crap, however says this game has lovely animation was talking out of their rear end - these attacks are amazing (Chiricooooooooo)!

Oh my god, that Chirico attack.

Yaaaaay

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Revitalized posted:

So uh... now that the game is out, there's nothing wrong with the Vita version right? I mean, I've got a PS3, but I don't turn it on as much since the PS4 came out, but I still bring my Vita to work and stuff.

Yeah, I'm interested in any comparisons. I'd rather have the Vita version because it's $10 cheaper and the game did some annoying cost-cutting in putting a portable game on a console, and I'd prefer to not pay more for a version that offers no actual advantages.

EDIT: Derp. How's audio on Vita? Lostconfused mentioned voices seemed low earlier, I think.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Kallen gets soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCBMvDQOH3g

The results are hilarious.

What the gently caress :psypop:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

poo poo, I'd want Star Driver for the music alone if nothing else.

That said I very much want Star Driver in a game anyway. Do it, Banpresto.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Or just be glad they didn't region lock the loving thing like Nintendo did with the 3DS.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Brunom1 posted:

What you need to know about Zeorymer's anime plot is this:

As for MX, I reckon there's always the MNeidengard summary to give you an easy way to understand what's going on.

There will never be a time where I don't smile at that image.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Brunom1 posted:

Maybe not...maybe Traia will have left Carlos and the Scott Lab building a super cool prototype for her during Z3.1 (with a combined attack with Crowe or Marguerite).

Please, Banpresto...:pray:

Her current mech (I can't even remember it's name!) is pretty much Brasta ver. Methuss!

I'm curious, does Z3-1 mention Insalum at all?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Personality-wise Marguerite seemed generally fine (I say this knowing little to no dialogue and going off her attack line delivery only) but good lord that cheesecake design.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

GodofDiscord posted:

Calling it now, Z3.2's original is going to be Asakim.
Because isn't Asakim cool you guys!?:downs:

Uuuuugh, I still don't understand why Banpresto can't shove him into the corner. Suzune, Esther, Marguerite and Crowe combined cannot match that jerk in terms of me wanting to punch him in the face. Yes I know he's important for PLOT, but he still pisses me off.

But it really looks like SRW Z3.1 has more positives than negatives. So here's hoping for a really good finale to the Z series.

Asakim owns because he's an excuse for Midorikawa to ham it the gently caress up as an antagonist.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

crowbb posted:

Well since I haven't seen a list yet for Z3 on what the pilot skills translate to (And I can't read Japanese) I haven't spent a single PP the entire game and I'm now entering mission 53 in Z3. I figure I have gone this far without them, I may as well finish it up and save that for new game+. I have been doing unit upgrades of course and have maxed out over a page of units. It's been easy going so far until I hit 52. Which took me 4 tries to get through because enemies were making a beeline at Aquarion and that jet it comes with and the boss types had extreme range and with some luck could one shot either of them, particularly the plane. On the plus side when I finally did it (By hiding both of them behind a wall of my units the entire mission and making sure I trigger enemy reinforcements at the beginning of a turn so I could toast any who appeared inside the wall) I had over 2 million credits to blow on my other units.

Since I can't read Japanese I tend to brute force everything and not use a lot of spirit powers, though I do recognize the damage up and to hit up ones so I will use those for some extra oomph on bosses.

I'll try to give Aquarion a better shot next time through but even early before everyone else's upgrade outpaced it, it seemed awfully squishy.

Should probably bookmark this.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Beat Hades a little earlier and goddamn did that death animation own :allears:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

What the gently caress did I just fight on the last stage? :gonk:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Hokuto posted:

One last impression (:v:) about Z3-1 while I'm thinking about it.

I miss boss music. Only Gadlight and Iku had any at all, and aside from them, it felt kind of underwhelming just hearing the same hero themes in every boss fight.

This also struck me. 2nd OGs got me used to some rad boss themes to blow poo poo up to, and this game was sorely lacking in that.

That said, it was also nice not to have a repeat case of that awful DAMON music overriding poo poo again.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

There wasn't much of anything about Insalaum that didn't own. Just a collection of rad themes, robots, and pilots. They're pretty much my favorite original villain group and I want them back.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm not even sure what my favorite boss theme is, but I'm pretty sure Clown Master and Devastator are both high up on any list I could make, along with Ten no Kongou.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Gadlight would be okay if he had anything more going for him than effectively being a pretty annoying mook. He's an okay villain but he's basically a less interesting version of Aim and there's nobody to pick up his slack.

Speaking as someone who can't read a goddamn word in these games and has to go by sound, portraits, etc. (and then translations and explanations from others after the fact) to get any sense of a character this is pretty spot-on. And what I generally got from Gadlight is that he was just kind of annoying to deal with and that was about it.

To kind of compare him to the Z2 villains:

When Gadlight showed up in a stage my general response was "Oh boy, this rear end in a top hat :geno:"

When Aim showed up, my response was "THIS rear end in a top hat :argh:"

And for Insalaum, it was "Yessss, these assholes! :getin:"

There is just nothing interesting about loving Gadlight at all. Aim is a huge rear end in a top hat and that gets put through constantly even in his in-stage behavior (along with him going steadily more batshit as you pound on him). Asakim is in that same boat. The Arcsabers are different, but I could still get a feeling of what they were about.

Gadlight was just kinda unreadable, annoying trash.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

@3 is kinda on my shitlist just because it handles GGG Final exceptionally poorly and without much fanfare. All in all it was enjoyable enough (but even then I still liked Z1 better), but after playing W which was basically one big loveletter to GaoGaiGar I was just hugely disappointed in a 3D SRW that handled it so much worse.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Kanos posted:

What? GGG Final gets its full finale and everything and the Genesic Gaogaigar and King J-Der are two of the strongest units in a game that has the loving Ideon and Gunbuster.

It has nothing to do with unit strength and everything to do with the fact that a 2D game beat the poo poo out of them on event presentation.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I just gave it to Shin Getter and gave everything a dose of sunshine every turn :shobon:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Caphi posted:

The GL fight was special from a plot and mechanical perspective and I will join the group that would like it to stay that way.

Besides, I'm going to be that guy and say that BEYOND THE TIME was a way better setpiece.

I'll join in on being that guy. BEYOND THE TIME was my favorite lategame stage. Which isn't saying too much because it was in an SRW I found deeply unsatisfying on several levels, but I feel I'd have still been enamored as hell with it even if it was in a better game.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

WrightOfWay posted:

Hibiki has a cool robot though and that's all I can really ask from an original protagonist.

It's too bad you only get to use it consistently in like the last two stages.

Goddamn Z3 was poo poo when it came to originals.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Brasta was perfectly fine, it was the ridiculously long animations that were the problem, yeah.

Crowe owned a lot and had two really good themes so its weird for me to see people making GBS threads on him.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'd probably be less annoyed at the "only two actually new series" thing if one of them wasn't being wasted on Gargantia. Just could not give less of a poo poo about that show if I tried, and it just offers none of the things I enjoy about other series inclusions.

Someday, Star Driver. Someday :smith:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure how you can think Gargantia doesn't offer fun character interaction in a subfranchise with Chirico, Setsuna, Heero and Sousuke. Ledo hanging out with any one of those guys is basically due to be comedy gold.

I don't like Gargantia to begin with, and the other part of what I like about SRW inclusions is beating the poo poo out of show villains which is not really a thing Gargantia is going to offer. One of the highlights of my Alpha 3 run, for example, was killing one of the SEED druggies with Fa.

Also I can't read Japanese so :v:

The other part of this is what while there's technically "new" stuff in the form of the rest of Unicorn and the 00 movie, and this is purely subjective obviously, is that I don't care about either of those and actively came to dislike the former as the OVAs progressed. I am stoked about more FMP, at least.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 12, 2014

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Well, no offense intended, but complaining about the show lineup when you don't care about the plot is kind of silly. One of the things SRW goes out of its way to do is try to redeem or improve even bad shows and offer fun characterization. Saying they shouldn't include shows because you dislike them when part of what SRW does is try to improve upon shows just feels weird to me.

Edit: I mean remember people complaining about "oh, they're doing Char's Counterattack AGAIN" in Z3.1 and they made it awesome?

I do care about the plot, though. I just can't read it, so I'm dependent on seeing folks post about it + my own show knowledge. And I dunno, I think it's perfectly fine to complain about series lineup in a game that's created purely on fanservice. There's a decent point to be made about them improving shows, sure, and Unicorn's inclusion will be much less cold to me if they decide that a particular fridging isn't actually a thing that needs to happen.

Also I don't recall anyone complaining about CCA in Z3.1. I thought everyone was in a pretty loving good mood when they realized it was actually being included fully instead of the in-name-only presence it's had for a while with the Nu being present.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Brunom1 posted:

Tetsuya, Kouji and Ryouma for a new Dynamic Special? I'd like that...

Tetsuya doesn't even need to grab a new Great - just have someone fix this bad boy up for him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDj1KTha8go

I wish SRW had carried over the narrator.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I think they have their charm. I know I had the biggest stupid grin on my face the first time I saw Z's Shine Spark.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm glad I happened to come in here right as I was half-assedly considering buying 3.2. All I remembered was that it came out and seemed to promptly be forgotten about hilariously fast.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I've been looking at some of the attack animations from Tengoku and some of this poo poo looks like it was done in MS Paint.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Thirding that. Z2-2 was the last mainline game I can classify as a satisfying experience that was worth my time and my money. Meanwhile OG2nd was fun as hell (certainly fun enough to get multiple playthroughs), added cool stuff like the Choujinkis Sanders just mentioned and BANKARAN, and the new versions of tracks originating from GBA games were pretty drat great (particularly the D villain themes).

Z3 just seems to have been a poor effort with even poorer direction behind it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

"It's a shame that fans of a series that revolves completely around fanservice as its primary draw only care about the fanservice."

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Calvina's murder-boner doesn't mean much without her having Granteed to rip and tear robot guts imo so they already hosed up any chance of getting me hyped for this

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Bringing back Uruz after that gnarly cleaving will always be stupid as poo poo to me

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

GimmickMan posted:

Cutscene killing the closest the Alpha Gaiden baddies had to a proper 'end boss' in a route split was bleh and they deserved better.

He died in a hugely cathartic moment which is pretty much the height of what a baddie can aspire to in these games.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Race Realists posted:

surprise surprise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqjssVUpBP8

While this looks great, I'm mostly just happy that I'll be able to give this theme to Raioh in the absence of DaiRaioh's.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Brunom1 posted:

The theme isn't in the game. It was added to the video.

Nooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I enjoy so much that the trophy is Russel

• Locked thread